Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AlisN1dlan
Msg: 1
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I don't men to generalize but does it seem to other women my age that "our men" are disproportionately addicted to Harley Davidsons? And it doesn't seem to be a hobby they picked up recently - most appear to have been into motorcycles for years. Admittedly, I don't look at the profiles of younger men, so maybe it's not related to age - maybe it has something to do with online dating . . . or POF in particular ;) I'm not condemning anyone for their interests: to each his own. It's just that I've spent too many years in too many Emergency Rooms with blood and brains on my shoes . . .
 bikenurse7
Msg: 2
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 1/1/2011 2:13:28 PM
Not sure what the question is..Im a nurse, spent many years taking care of people lying in their beds, diabetes, strokes, cancer...Young and old, that never rode motorcycles...I wanna go knowing I did the things I loved doing.

Many of us baby-boomers have ridden almost all our lives...My 33 year old daughter has been ridng almost 20 years...If I have to explain it to you, You would not get it...Peace..
 AlisN1dlan
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/1/2011 2:23:36 PM
As I said: to each his own. The "wind in my hair" thing - great, if that's the way you feel. My time was put in in trauma, ICU and ER's: where people did ride motorcycles.

I get contacted by a fair number of guys who DO ride, and I'm reluctant to make motorcycles - or anything else, for that matter - a "dealbreaker" in my profile, but it seems to be kind of an all-consuming way of life, so to speak . . . maybe the question should be "Can a non-rider be happy with a rider?"
 DrummingNut
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/1/2011 3:02:24 PM

maybe the question should be "Can a non-rider be happy with a rider?"
Speaking for me.. yes, this non-rider could be happy with a rider.
Thing is.. most riders don't want a non-rider!
ohhhh well
And I'm moving to a place where there are a LOT of riders.
*sigh*
I used to BE a rider. I understand the love of it.
I just can't be one any longer. Not my fault.
But it means I'll be overlooked now.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 3:06:37 PM
For me it would depend on if that was their only interest or hobby. I tend to enjoy a number of interests and hobbies and would like to share time doing all of them.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/1/2011 3:37:37 PM
^^ all of them?
I'm happy to share the 'doing' of many things.. but also realize it's okay for there to be some things we'd possibly share in discussions but not in the actual 'doing'.
 Revilors
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/1/2011 4:06:04 PM

Can a non-rider be happy with a rider

I don't like golf or scrap booking. Do you think I could be happy with a golfer or scrapbooker? Sure...as long as I'm not expected to participate if I choose not to. I'll go ride...instead.

Hobbies and personal interests are not an oil and water issue as long as there are plenty of common interests and activities to do together.

MY things...YOUR things...and OUR things.

To each...their own...right?
 kari135
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 4:08:11 PM

For me it would depend on if that was their only interest or hobby. I tend to enjoy a number of interests and hobbies and would like to share time doing all of them.

I also have a number of interests and hobbies - a lot more than I put on my profile - and while sharing some of them would be great, I'd also have to say I'd find sharing some of them would be a bit disconcerting.. I can't quite imagine a man getting turned on by designing and creating afghans or hooked rugs or quilts, or just about any kind of needlework. Not that I would object to it, it just would be ........ disconcerting.

Many of the things I do would be fun to share the doing of, but some are my ways of recharging my mental/emotional batteries. That is better done in solitude, for me anyway.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 4:27:50 PM
I guess I have always shared in an interest in some way that went beyond just discussing it.
I can't help it I'm a doer and helpful. There is always something that needs to be picked up at a store, etc etc. It's not the same as being attached to them 24/7 or always present at the moment.
 Welsh474
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/1/2011 5:16:42 PM
I've been riding a motorcycle for about 25 years. My husband started riding a few years before me. For awhile it was something we also did with our son, he had a dirt bike, we all had dirt bikes and we'd camp and ride all day. I've had a couple of Japanese bikes and the last 4 of my bikes have been Harleys. I have a ton of friends that ride. Although I'd prefer that my next partner also rode a bike it is not a deal breaker. I don't care if he golfs or does what ever, I won't make him stop what he is interested in and I'd hope he'd feel the same way about my riding because if we can't each do what we enjoy - that should be a deal breaker for both of us.

My son still rides a motorcycle and his wife doesn't have a bike, yet. Maybe when the kids grow up a bit. It can be a good family interest.

I'm widowed, my husband didn't die on a bike, he had a heart attack. I have a friend in the hospital right now and he's not there because he had a bike accident, he has bone cancer. They told him if the chemo works it may give him two more years to live. He wants to spend that two years seeing country on his bike. We all die of something - heart attacks, breast cancer, strokes, prostate cancer, lung cancer, etc. don't care whether you ride a motorcycle or jog 5 miles a day.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/1/2011 5:25:06 PM
Blue-eyes-shining, I didn't mean only sharing in discussions about hobbies/events that aren't a shared 'doing'.

I meant that as ONE way it can be shared without the actual 'doing'.
LOL, of course there are other ways!

To use the subject of motorcycle riding:
while I can't ride any more, I'd first off love to hear about anything he'd like to share..
but also I'd enjoy going to rallys, on the side lines! I'd enjoy helping out with any planning involved, or any other way I could help. If he wanted me to.
You're right.. there's always something that needs to be picked up at the store, etc etc.

What's really important, in my opinion, is this:
I'd support him in his enjoyment by understanding that it IS his enjoyment and not expecting him to be anyone other than who he is.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 5:45:31 PM
Interestingly enough many of the women i n my area (POF profiles) either own bikes or state that they ride them. Others addi n their profile that if the guy has a Harley it would be a real plus. I don't think it's only men.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/1/2011 7:18:11 PM
When I was young (17) the motorcycle was my ONLY ttransportation for years. I grew up with them, and I always had one.
I now have a pretty one even though I can't ride it in the wintertime where I live.

For people who ride for years it is not just a hobby, it is an attachment that you don't grow out of. It is like the love for water for some, for boats, or for the mountains, it is the element in which you feel comfortable and belong within.

pirateheaven
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2011 9:25:03 PM

It's just that I've spent too many years in too many Emergency Rooms with blood and brains on my shoes . . .

Soooooooooo you think riding horses is safe????????
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/1/2011 9:25:39 PM
I am not so sure that many of these men had bikes in their youth: my ex got a Goldwing after I left him, and he had never expressed an interest in a bike!

I also see men (and women) who appear to be "weekend warriors"; the ones who wear clean dew rags and expensive leather--hmmm . . . trying to be bad boys! I saw one profile where a man in his 50s had two pictures of his 10/11 year old son on a scaled down version of a chopper! Oh, yeah, that's the way to attract women.

I have seen one too many people without a leg, arm, or who have scrambled brains due to motorcycles accidents to make me want to ride one.

I get emails from guys who say, "You sure would look good on the back of my bike with your hair blowing in the breeze." I KNOW what riding on a bike with free flowing hair does to the hair: I would be combing tangles out for a week (done it). I also know what riding a bike without a helmet would make me: stupid.

Funny thing is, when I tell them I am not interested, they call me "chicken" or say that I am in a rut and not willing to try new things. Not wanting to lose an appendage doesn't make me stagnant, it makes me realistic. My life is much too precious to put it in the hands of a man controlling (or trying to control) a motorcycle or in the hands of other drivers.

Oh, and the genuine old biker farts, 99% of them have a nasty beard. Yuck.

Soooooooooo you think riding horses is safe????????

Personally, I don't know anyone who has lost an arm or leg to a horse accident. Yup, I remember Christopher Reeve, but I personally know people who were maimed in bike wrecks.
 Welsh474
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/1/2011 10:00:28 PM
How about car accident? Everybody knows someone who has been in a car accident - some come out unscathed, some without an arm, or leg, head injuries and death. We all still drive cars. Or ski or mountain bike or have some sort of injury from some sport. Work place injuries....we could go on and on.

I visited a friend yesterday in hospital with cancer, as mentioned prior, also have a co-worker diagnosed with ALS last month. My mother has alzheimers. We're all going to hurt or get hurt or die - no guarantees. I buried my 55 year old husband from a heart attack and my oldest son drowned at 33. I will not live the rest of my life afraid to live the rest of my life.

Some folks don't like motorcycles, some folks don't like golf, some folks don't like painting - and I'm glad we're not all the same. If you don't want to ride a bike or go bowling or scuba dive, don't. And if you think that riders are all out there to be "bad boys" you have your head up your azz. Some folks just want to try new things or keep up with their old interests.
 LONLEEnBLU
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/1/2011 10:05:57 PM
I know many people who died over the years. Some from cancers, many from heart attacks, car accidents, alcohol, drags, airplane crashes, strokes, bullet holes, the works.
I also remember one who crashed with his motorcycle and died from septicemia later at the hospital. That was 25 years ago.
And a friend's kid also killed himself on the second day he rode his brand new bike, recently.
I think very few of the bikers die because of their motorcycles. There are plenty of other opportunities to kick the bucket more or less gracefully . If you don't use these other opportunities you still run a severe risk of dying from old age. And without the benefit of a ride.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 12:32:58 AM
sorry, going 60 mph with your body exposed on an unforgivingly unstable conveyance while two-ton steel boxes pass by you an arm's length away is not comparable, safetywise, with skiing or mountain biking.

and as far as the 'ya gotta go sometime' argument, it misses the point. quality of life is as much an issue here as mortality. i crushed my wrist in a bike accident years ago (and broke a rib and ruptured my spleen and punctured a lung); now i can't play guitar, and i'm limited in what i can play on a piano, and my options will only decrease with the years. with no spleen, i'm likely to have immunity issues someday. that tradeoff wasn't worth the wind in my hair, or feeling like part of a certain social group, or some romantic lifestyle notions.

young men are rewarded for sacrificing their bodies, and testosterone makes us willing and eager. contact sports, risky hobbies, shouldering a rifle in a war zone. that can leave a guy with a lot of scar tissue by the time middle age rolls around. many learn to conserve their bodies, some don't. i think most women don't get that whole dynamic (though the op has a glimpse of it, and nice handle, by the way).

when i was dating, motorcycles were a dealbreaker. i don't ever want to get the call that the love of my life has been smeared across the interstate by some inattentive lane changer.
 Magic_Fish
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/2/2011 2:22:51 AM
When I was fishing here, bikers and golfers where a deal breaker for me. Not because I was not interested in those activities, but because they are seasonal activities in my neck-of-the-woods and would clash with mine (boating). I couldn't see myself spending half my summers golfing/riding and the other half boating. I wanted ALL boating. Sorry, that's just me ...

Luckily for me, a skipper fished me out of this pond and now our dilemma is power or sail (he has a 25' Baya (power), I have a 25' Bayfield (sail)). We've decided on a 5 moratorium on the boats - keeping both until we retire and then decide what we will end our cruising life on.

Boating comes with its own set of hazards/issues, but in my mind, I prefer the "devil I know" versus the "devil I don't know".

Case in point, the engine died on his boat this past summer. We ended up drifting towards a concrete pillar with a low steel door above us. As he was trying to restart the engine, my first thought was to get the boat hook and push us away from the pillar. We both knew that, as we drifted under the door, a wave could have raised the boat and done some serious damage (to the boat or to us).

The gods were smiling upon us that day and we floated away without a scratch. (Had to get towed back to shore, but that's another story.)

The next morning he asked me if I had nightmares about our experience. My answer was NO. Probably because I have experience and knowledge about water and boats.

Almost everything in life comes with its set of hazards and if I leave this blue-green marble in a boating accident with my hottie by my side, my friends and family will know that I died doing something I loved.

OP, you mention that their love for motorcycles does not seem like a hobby they have picked up recently. I'm guessing that riding is like boating, once it gets into your soul, it's there forever. If you can't shake it, embrace it.

So to answer your question: "Can a non-rider/boater be happy with a rider/boater?". In my case, NO but as you said to each his/her own. Patience little fishy, you'll meet your match one day.

MF
 BentonHarbor
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/2/2011 4:07:52 AM
First of all OP you're quite a gorgeous woman....................but on topic........

Try reading a few hundred women "our age" with profiles that mention "luv a Harley man........." and on and on and blah blah blah. Once upon a time the most common sought after dating "thing" was the "walks along a moon lit beach holding hands..........." ---now its this Harley or other motorcycle thing.

For me a person's profile tends to be "top of mind" and represents what they think, hope or feel they have to offer and what would make them happy with someone. Perhaps its just an expression of a like but its almost never worded that way---too much is said or stressed about one single topic. Kids, family, traveling---this list goes on and could be as detrimental as its thought to be helpful or a screening out aid.

Of course as one of those nurses the only thing noticed is the horrible aspect of enjoying something----that's a bit of a shame only because it bypasses that the majority of people doing any sport or activity don't experience anything as dramatic and brains and blood on their shoes. I'd hate to veg my life away from fear there might be in injury IF I didn't exercise good judgment and take proper care to guard againt unnecessary risk.

Still cute as a bug though...........
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:12:17 AM
i don't go nuts for motorcycles myself, op. although i did used to own one. but it was an antique BMW, and my style of riding was unlike that of the typical aficionado. i had to check to see if you were in indiana, because where i live, the only guys out here who aren't into riding their harley every day are the ones at home watching nascar. or, they're riding their harley to the bar to watch nascar. i can't win.

the motorcycle pics are a turnoff for me too at a knee-jerk reaction level, but i think you have to consider these things on a case-by-case basis. i wouldn't be a good match for somebody who lived and breathed motorcycles, or who wanted to take long road trips anywhere on one, but i certainly wouldn't have a problem with a guy *just because* he had a motorcycle.

there is a risk in riding a motorcycle just like there's a risk in doing just about anything else that's fun. i don't think it's realistic to presume that just because somebody rides a motorcycle, it's only a matter of time before they end up with their brains on somebody's shoes. about half of the risk in riding a motorcycle (or a horse) is eliminated by knowing how to ride within your own limits. :) i can't help it if there are stupid people out there who either don't know or disrespect their limitations. that happens all the time, even with people driving SUVs.

i've known people who died in airplane crashes, but that would never stop me from flying. would christopher reeves' slow, miserable demise ever stop you from getting on a horse again? i think not!
 Walts
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:12:57 AM
Someone has already stated it,but here in my area it seems both genders within my age group has a bit of a passion for riding the bikes. I'm sure there are reasons for it, including our lack of snow most years.

Personally, I'm not a fan,but that's just me. I know the way that I am and the last thing you do is put me on a motorized vehicle that can hit speeds that some of these bikes can,without a seatbelt or even a little bit of metal wrapped around me. And with the "types" of other drivers in our area here, I sometimes question the state of mind of some bikers.

But in saying that, I know many people that think the "stuff" I do out on the rivers,our in the bush, and in the mountains is completely crazy. Sitting back and thinking of my ventures this past year I'm amazed that I only had two hospital visits and none to the morgue. At my age, I don't dare how to tell people how to get their kicks anymore. It's irrelevant in the big picture.
 mermaid140
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/2/2011 7:23:48 AM

"Can a non-rider be happy with a rider?"

When I was married we had a Harley. I used to go on it all the time until I had my daughter then I got nervous about crashing. So to this day I don't go on them. Plus, my ass always got sore on the bike.
 azul14
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 7:32:22 AM
OP ... I agree it does appear that many (not all - thank goodness) men on POF seem to be addicted to motorcycles. I never noticed it as much whilst on other dating sites though.

I am not interested in dating a biker. I don't like the look, and I would never ride on one. When I was young a friend of mine lost her leg from a motorcycle accident, and it changed her life significantly. It is just not something that has ever appealed to me. When I look at profiles or if someone contacts me, and they have bike pictures I click next. WE all have our preferences, and a biker is not mine. Which of course leaves all those (maybe) eligible men for those women that like that type of person/lifestyle.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2011 8:23:32 AM
Any perception someone has about a general character, or trend in behavior by another group of beings, is going to be heavily influenced by the VENUES they observe. If you see a surprising number of men in your age range injuring themselves on Harley's, it doesn't mean that a majority of men in your age range are "Harley-accident-prone," it instead suggests that YOUR LIFE is "Harley-accident-viewing-prone."
I don't look at men's profiles here (as I am a hetero-sexual male ISO a female companion), so I have no idea what the proportion of men who are, or claim to be Harley riders might be. But if there IS a high relative number of them, it would suggest that POF as a place to look for female companions is coming to the ATTENTION of more bikers than non-bikers. It might also be that YOU are attracted enough by the tiny pictures you see of men who DO ride, that you READ more biker profiles for some reason. That would speak more about YOU than it would about the men of POF or any other site in general.
If you work in a trauma unit, and see a lot of injured bikers, it suggests that injuries sustained on motorcycles are more serious than those sustained on other forms of conveyance; not that a majority of people are riding motorcycles.
Just suggesting another way to view your data, here!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers