Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Little Kids Watching Violent/Gory/Disturbing Movies      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Booyahhh
Msg: 1
Little Kids Watching Violent/Gory/Disturbing MoviesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't understand why any parent would bring their small children to watch violent, gory, scary, disturbing horror movies such as Shutter Island, I Am Legend, or The Rite (which I saw recently) - not to mention ones such as Saw, Hostel, etc. (which *I*, an adult, can't even handle but have heard that people let their little kids watch).

I am always shocked speechless when I go to see such movies and hear or see little kids in the audience. I would never think of exposing my own small children to such images, scenes, or concepts.

Does anyone understand the mentality of these parents?!!! There's always plenty of kid movies in every theatre, so that isn't an excuse.....there isn't any excuse for it.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Little Kids Watching Violent/Gory/Disturbing Movies
Posted: 2/2/2011 10:53:26 PM
I guess I have too much of an imagination but scary movies give me nightmares. I wouldn't take my kids to see them but then again I don't want to see the really gory ones either. They do enjoy watching ghost stories on TV. When I was little and my older sister was babysitting she let me watch a scary movie with her. I can't remember the name but I do recall what it was about. A retarded guy hides in a scarecrow and is killed by farmers. They then are killed one by one in disturbing ways. It haunted me for days. She also told me Norman lived upstairs. lol

Does anyone understand the mentality of these parents?!!! There's always plenty of kid movies in every theatre, so that isn't an excuse.....there isn't any excuse for it.

I would rather see the kid movie with them. After a certain age though I decided my son was old enough to attend the local haunted house at Halloween. He had been asking every summer for a few years. It was suppose to be so disturbing and gory that it was for over age 13. It is put on by a film company. He insisted at 11 he could handle it. He was allowed in because he was with a boy who was 13. When he got home he said it was scary but not that bad. No nightmares or anything as a result.
 nipoleon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:45:04 AM
Essentially I agree.
It's a perfect example of how scewered our society is, that movies are rated primarily for their sexual content and not their violent content.
We have no problem with little children watching the most horrific violence.... but heaven forbid that a nipple finds the light of day.
People hating each other, people killing each other is acceptable fare for children.
People loving each other is sinfull and must be censored.

I have heard that some European countries do have review boards which control TV and movie content with respect to it's effect upon children.
McDonalds has had some of it's commercials banned in Europe because they were deemed manipulative to children.
 colt8301
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/3/2011 3:36:15 AM

Who cares its their kids, i remember my parents took me to what they wanted to see. if it's someone to blame, blame the government for allowing those films to be made, blame the ratings board, for not brandishing out more NC17 films. Blame movie theatres for not having a daycare in them.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 5:44:06 AM
Well, I'm not saying I would myself take my kids to such movies, but on the other hand, I do know that when it comes ESPECIALLY to horror films, that many of them are so fantastic (as in fantasy-based) that the children don't empathize with the film at all. When I was a young kid, watching horror movies was quite normal, and no one I knew ended up being scarred by them.
As for judging the other parents, I shy away from that. Unless I am willing to actually ASK them what they are doing and why, attacking them for their decisions isn't valid.
I DID let my kids watch SOME grown-up movies when they were young, because I wanted them to have a realistic grasp of what the real world is about, and exposing them to some things, then EXPLAINING what it was all about was a form of PROTECTING them on my part.
I was sheltered by the censors when I was young, and it caused me HUGE problems when it came time to deal with the real world. So I'm wary of supporting using government or even social pressure to force other parents to make what ever choices I might make.
 SaharaM
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:03:04 AM

if it's someone to blame, blame the government for allowing those films to be made, blame the ratings board, for not brandishing out more NC17 films. Blame movie theatres for not having a daycare in them.
I really hope you're being sarcastic here.
 inthroughtheoutdoor
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:39:36 AM
I pretty much allowed my kids to watch/read what they wanted when they grew up and my two oldest, now in their thirties, are fine.

To be honest, it's not the horror/gory films I find disturbing, it's the constant all teenagers are attractive slim popular rich and drive expensive cars/ they live happily ever after romantic comedy genre that get under my skin.

But they survived those too and it looks like my youngest (16) will come out just fine also.

Kids are not stupid...if you talk with them and they are taught how (not what) to think, I believe that for the most part, they will be fine.

And the same goes for the Internet, cell phones, etc...access to all kinds of information, good and bad, is everywhere, you can't keep it from them. Even if you restrict them at home, they still have access to the Internet at school, at their friend's, and everywhere an Internet/cell connection can be had, which today is practically everywhere.

I will say that my youngest went through a period (computer/text/phone/messaging obsession-addiction) where all of this almost came and bit me on the azz but like most things, it passed.

But I freely admit that for a while, I was worried - I also don't think that forbidding/restricting her would have done a darn thing except make her angry and/or rebellious and because I know her so well (because she is so like me), it could have possibly led to some doors closing forever.

Anyway, right or wrong, I, as most parents I believe, do the best I can with the resources I have at the time...that's all any one of us can do really.

cookie22222
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:54:01 AM
My boys were very into those things, earlier than I would have liked. Their father was much more lenient about letting them watch that kind of thing. They'd be watching Disney with me, and blood and guts with him, although he tended more toward war movies, being a veteran.

I do recall he let them watch some TV show about aliens impregnating earth women (yes, I know)...my son was maybe 3, and he had nightmares about it for months, he would wake up crying that the "alien monster babies" were staring in his bedroom window.
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/3/2011 12:28:04 PM

Does anyone understand the mentality of these parents?!!!

Parents you say? Well based on everything I have seen and experienced there are very few parents around anymore.Sure there are people who pop babies and impregnate women out there, but that does not automatically qualify someone as a parent.Most of the idiots who drag children into the world now have no interest in actually parenting.They do whatever they want to do and letting their kids do,say and see whatever they want is what is easiest for them.
 carolann0308
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 12:45:14 PM
I remember going to see Silence of the Lambs years ago and there was a young mother there with a baby carrier and a kid that had to be 5 years old. I cannot believe the theatre manager even allowed the kids in. But some people are just idiots and idiots breed too.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/3/2011 12:52:15 PM

Well maybe those parents know the real danger lie in those kids movies and kids TV shows and they actually talk to their kids about what is real and what is not and understand those "kids" shows are just giant commercials.

Kids movies and kids TV shows are far more dangerous to a kids development than some horror movie.

These movies and shows are created by people that spend billions in market research and studies to try and understand the best way to manipulate those kids that view it

They are nothing but brainwashing them and the parents that do not understand this truly are the stupid ones.

Then a parent that would put a toddler / infant down in front of a TV really does not understand the damage that a TV (not by content, but the exposure to the bright lights and fat moving images) can do to a developing brain, which can be found in crap like Baby Einstein videos.
 MichelleRenee1234
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/3/2011 1:41:06 PM
^^^ Proof?

Anyway, I totally disagree and think it's utterly ridiculous to say kids' movies and tv, in general, are dangerous to a child's development, while horror movies are A-Ok. And they're far from educational. I doubt any 3 year old would need to see Saw in order to be exposed to reality. History lessons, documentaries, movies based on real events... those are at least a closer step in the right direction.

And, to tell you the truth, I give Walt Disney a lot of credit for his movies, and a lot of the movies that Imax does. Those movies evoke a lot of sympathy, understanding and compassion for others and certainly DO contain important values. The sweetest and saddest movie I've seen in a long time was UP... and there were definitely life lessons in that, as well.

they are nothing but brainwashing them and the parents that do not understand this truly are the stupid ones.

Disagree with you there, too. Maybe they're ignorant, but not stupid. The kinds of parents who sit their kid in front of Sesame Street or Baby Einstein are probably using their best judgment and thinking these shows are educational and perhaps don't know about the effects of the lights on the TV and how it might affect a baby or toddler's eyes. It's not common knowledge or blatantly obvious. It is, however, blatantly obvious that horror films are gruesome and not recommended for children (hence, the rating.) It's a parent's instinct (well, should be anyway) to protect their child from unnecessary harm and prepare them as much as possible to do well in life.

The parents I've seen who bring their kids to movies like that or allow their children to watch them seem to me to be selfish and immature. THEY want to watch it, and that's pretty much all they consider. I wouldn't allow my kid to watch stuff like that.

I also think it's bassackwards the way we seem to freak out about nudity or sex in this country, and glorify violence. It's grotesque.

Edit to add: I actually find it a little disturbing that movies like Saw are so popular among adults, anyway. There's something very off-putting by people enjoying seeing others in agony, whether real or not.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:08:03 PM

Edit to add: I actually find it a little disturbing that movies like Saw are so popular among adults, anyway. There's something very off-putting by people enjoying seeing others in agony, whether real or not.

I agree. I would rather watch a comedy or Disney movie with my boys. I'm glad they still enjoy them at age 8 and 12.

Funny story, as a child my dad let me stay up and watch The Birds with him. Not really a horror movie by the standards of movies now but still scary to a kid. I went to bed and heard a flutter sound and screamed for my mom. Imagine the coincidence to have a bat flying around my room that night.lol
 colt8301
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:16:11 PM

if it's someone to blame, blame the government for allowing those films to be made, blame the ratings board, for not brandishing out more NC17 films. Blame movie theatres for not having a daycare in them.
I really hope you're being sarcastic here.

Lol, Maybe, maybe not, "Saharam"

She seems to mind paying customers bringing along their rugrats. it seems like she wants to "blame" parents for something So she needs to dig deeper, if she's appalled at youngsters being admitted with their folks, money is the name of the game here. the people who produce these films and the people who present them do not give a damn whose in the seat if it's paid for.
 Butterfly~Effect
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/3/2011 5:31:41 PM

Then a parent that would put a toddler / infant down in front of a TV really does not understand the damage that a TV (not by content, but the exposure to the bright lights and fat moving images) can do to a developing brain, which can be found in crap like Baby Einstein videos

Well..I don't know about that...I haven't heard any studies indicating such...however, I CAN tell you that my son watched these as an infant and he is five years old and currently reads (including comprehension) at a grade 7 level!

He is also enrolled into a school for the gifted and talented...and has an arithmetic understanding of approximately grade 3. So....on my personal experience..I'm not seeing the damage these movies caused. *shrug*

However, as for children being in the theaters watching for some of these horror movies...I do find that ridiculous!! Obviously this is an extremely bad parenting choice!

In my City....I tried taking my 15 year old to Paranormal Activity 2. She was made to show Id...or her birth certificate to allowed entry. It was rated PG14 and absolutely needed to be at least 14 with a parent or someone 18 or over. I do have to say that HERE.... I have never seen an age inappropriate child in the theatre.

On the flip side of things....my mom was a huge Hitchcock fan. They used to play the movies once a month at our local museum....she took me to all of them and I saw The Birds and Psycho before I was five. Granted...they don't have the graphics and 3D effect that they do in movies now.

I do remember begging her to take her to see JAWS when I was 7. Of course, I now have an amazing fear of sharks!!
 matchlight
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:11:17 PM

Does anyone understand the mentality of these parents?!!!

I do not, except that it must be a very limited one. Most people of ordinary intelligence know that kind of stuff is not for little kids. And it's not like there aren't good movies around that *are* made for them. Not all parents think it's an ordeal to sit through those kiddie movies, either. I'm sure my mother usually enjoyed the ones she took my sister and me to as much as we did. When we'd kid her about that, many years later, she'd just laugh and say, "Well, you know what they say--the simple are easily amused."
 daynadaze
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 10:09:35 PM
I don't know, I watched Tom & Jerry demolish each other all the time as a kid, plus scary movies and violence, I think it has more to do with how you talk to your child about what they are seeing. No, I wouldn't let a child see an adult movie but they see violence all the time, sometimes, too many times, at home.

I thought Shutter Island was a bore and not scary, but I can't watch Saw so no I wouldn't let a child watch it. Some kids love the scare, some love the gore, I don't think it's going to make anyone's kids psychotic unless they already are but I did spend many years afraid of the dark. I think you have to base it on your child's personality and use your judgment.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/4/2011 3:55:35 AM
I don't advocate "Gore /slasher"movies for kids..but

You better not let them have sleep overs out of your house..with Net Flix and HBO either.

Offer to take your kid and their friends to the movies that are age appropriate and
suck up the cost and time.
Pizza after of course.

Never just drop them off to see a movie..
YOU take the time and make sure you know which theater they go into.
Stay with them.

Most people of ordinary intelligence know that kind of stuff is not for little kids. And it's not like there aren't good movies around that *are* made for them. Not all parents think it's an ordeal to sit through those kiddie movies, either. I'm sure my mother usually enjoyed the ones she took my sister and me to as much as we did. When we'd kid her about that, many years later, she'd just laugh and say, "Well, you know what they say--the simple are easily amused."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My mom was the one that took me and my friends and I carried on the tradition..

I think the scariest thing she took us to was Dr Zhivago..with the wolves howling..we all ran and sat with her after that.

By the way Bambi devastated us .
She had 5 little girls crying their eyes out.
 SaharaM
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2011 5:58:24 AM

I don't know, I watched Tom & Jerry demolish each other all the time as a kid,
I'll never forget my older brother having a nightmare about Tom and Jerry... we were both very young...I teased him unmercifully at the time. It still comes up every few years and we get a good laugh.
 happybunny8
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/4/2011 8:17:54 AM
Sure, there are certain ages I wouldn't allow to watch certan things. BUT the most important thing is to teach your children to have a moral and social conscience.

Once they are of a certain age, they will see/watch stuff that you won't even know about outside of the home so the kids need to have a base to process this.

Setting rules at home doesn't mean the child is not going to do some things outside of the home, but I believe it helps kids in the long run.
 bipolarintense
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/4/2011 8:36:47 AM

I was sheltered by the censors when I was young
I’m trying to figure out what you mean by this. After all if you started watching TV when you were 3 your childhood viewing would have been from 1955- 1967.

In 1955 physical violence was the norm for all cartoons, married people did not sleep in the same beds on regular shows and the word “pregnant” was not allowed to be spoken on the most popular televison show at the time.

I’m curious as to what you were sheltered from that caused you huge problems?

Back then you had maybe four channels I had one and saw the same programs as you.
 RushLuv
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/4/2011 10:19:08 AM
When I was a child, I was stuck on cartoons and educational programs such as Sesame Street and Barney for the most part. However, I did watch a good amount of horror films and some did contain violence.

I don't have children, so I can't say rather I would want them being subjected to such films.

From the way I see it, children will end up watching those type of films some way, somehow.
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/4/2011 1:48:48 PM
A fear of sharks is not exactly an irrational fear.While it's true that shark bites or sharks killing and eating people does not happen often,it does happen,so it's not truly an irrational fear.Now a fear of lint would be an irrational fear.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2011 8:36:41 PM
As a child, I used to watch Dr. Who and when the Cyber Men were on, I literally hid behind the couch!
 happybunny8
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/5/2011 6:32:47 AM
So going to see a horror movie will not change a child, but letting them watch TV unsupervised without explanations with regards on how to disseminate the information coming from the TV is far more dangerous to a child's development.

I totally agree. However, some people cannot handle violent movies. I have girlie nights with my nieces and kids of my friends and when we are deciding on a movie, some always speak up and say they don't like horror.

If you think back to the 70's, we actually allowed our kids to play outside. Alot of this was simply because we were unaware of most of the dangers out there (I still think we need a comeback to playing outside and everyone watching out for the kids in their neighbourhood, but that's another topic). Evil has always been around, but because of our access to information, we know about it even more. The media DO play a role. I know nothing about sharks, but I know where Frank was going with his post.

The first thing that I remember ever scaring me? The poison green dude on the commercial (early 70's). It was an advertisement to keep kids from ingesting poisonous household products. It really worked, I can remember playing on the floor of the workshop, looking across at where the bottles were stored and I saw the poison symbol! It both scared and fascinated me - but there was NO way I was swallowing that, much less touching it. Now I am a huge horror fan. Shrug.

I think what it important is watching TV WITH your kids. My parents censored what we watched and we would watch TV together at night (we only had one tv anyway), but I never felt I was missing out on anything. Maybe my parents did a good job lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Little Kids Watching Violent/Gory/Disturbing Movies