Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is there a reason why the local Mcdonalds would give me skin rashes b      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 UnisonofParadox
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is there a reason why the local Mcdonalds would give me skin rashes but others don't?Page 1 of 1    
I moved into my current location 6 months ago.

Whenever I order a burger from the local mcdonalds I wake up the next morning with itchy rash red spots over my body. Is this an allergic reaction?

I noticed a pattern, and I have been eating from other Mcdonalds and it never happens. Only from the local one. I intentionally went back there to see what was going on.

I have ruled out all other causes. There have been no changes in my diet, exercise habits, body wash/shampoo, etc.

Does each store have variation in what is in the meat?
 UnisonofParadox
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is there a reason why the local Mcdonalds would give me skin rashes but others don't?
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:19:09 PM
ALSO, is there a way that I can scientifically test/prove whether what is happening is directly caused by the local Mcdonalds or not?

I am assuming a laboratory would be involved?
 Styrene
Msg: 3
Is there a reason why the local Mcdonalds would give me skin rashes but others don't?
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:42:25 PM
Unless it is an obnoxiously common food allergy (which it doesn't sound like it is) then it could be nearly anything and you probably won't figure it out. The variety in the food should be the same by region as they should have the same supplier. You could be having a reaction to something from another type of food the store serves, gloves, the money, the worker at the register, something a worker set on the counter, etc.

If that particular location is the only thing setting it off then your best bet is to not eat there.
 Revilors
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:50:47 PM
You're not bringing home the "special" sauce from behind the counter each time...are you?

"Clean food only"

Is this an allergic reaction?

Most likely it is. But it is probably not McDonalds fault that you are sensitive to something either in their food or environment with their store. Could be a cleaning agent or air freshening thing.

In any case...you now know you are sensitive to that environment. Don't go there anymore. Or...try using the drive up. That would narrow it down to the building or food and bag that is passed through the window.

Most of those chains get everything from their own suppliers. That's the whole idea that they look, smell and taste the same no matter where you are. I would even imagine their cleaning supplies are standard too but a local owner/manager migh sneek in some off the shelf stuff if it's cheeper or thinks it's better.
 UnisonofParadox
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:58:10 PM
I'm now leaning toward a different cleaning/sanitizing agent. I'm not trying to get money out of this lol.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2011 8:18:14 PM
If there's labwork involved OP, chances are that it would involve you and not samples of Big Macs.

Most people don't quite figure out what causes food allergies without skin prick tests and challenge tests with food colouring agents and preservatives etc. And anyway, you would probably already be aware of any food allergies at your age. AFAIK, large food chains like McDonald's purchase their supplies from one main distributor, so it's unusual that you're having a reaction from one chain.

Do you eat in the restaurant or get take-out? If you're really determined to eat at this particular McDonald's, try the drive-thru instead and see what, if anything, happens. You could find that your reaction stems from being in the restaurant rather than eating the food - therefore, you might have contact dematitis from placing your arms on a table. Since you're having a full-body histamine reaction, it seems more likely that it's something you're ingesting or inhaling.

So you could do one of several things - take an antihistamine before you go, smear yourself with zinc oxide to try and prevent a reaction, or just stop eating there.

Cheers
 RushLuv
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/18/2011 8:39:05 PM
I had to had eaten at a million different McDonald's restaurants during my lifetime, and never received an allergic reaction of any sort from their food. Then again, I guess it depends on what you ordered because I always order the same thing when I go to McDonald's. I have yet to taste everything they have on the menu, but that's just me.
 ferfoxache
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/18/2011 9:56:53 PM

Maybe in that particular store it's not a hot seller so they needed to get rid of the overstock.
Or maybe the cashier likes you.

I intentionally went back there to see what was going on.

Is this like the discussion about it being cheaper to eat off the dollar menu than healthy food from the grocery store?
It was cheaper to go to McDonalds and get more skin rashes rather than go and talk to your doctor about it, and avoid the McDonalds and further skin rashes?

I think the only real variations in the meat would be based on age or pollutants rather than ingredients.

Whenever I order a burger from the local mcdonalds I wake up the next morning with itchy rash red spots over my body. Is this an allergic reaction?

Could be bed bugs.
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/18/2011 10:39:35 PM

moved into my current location 6 months ago.

I noticed a pattern, and I have been eating from other Mcdonalds and it never happens. Only from the local one. I intentionally went back there to see what was going on.

I have ruled out all other causes. There have been no changes in my diet, exercise habits, body wash/shampoo, etc.

I suppose this is just a crazy idea, but maybe stop eating there?
 arwen52
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2011 5:03:08 PM
Stop eating at that McDonald's.

It's quite possible you are giving yourself the rash. You could have coincidentally gotten a rash after eating there, made a mental association between the two, and break out now when you eat there.

Quit eating there.

If you get the rash again, then you know it has nothing to do with that McDonald's, which it probably doesn't anyway. And if you don't get the rash again, problem solved.
 gardenias2
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/19/2011 8:14:44 PM
oh good lord, its the way they process the hamburger meat. i recently read an article, sorry don't have the link about what goes into the meat patties in fast food restaurants these days and how it's processed. it's getting really bizarre because you know lots of undersirable body parts are getting ground up like noses and ears and hoofs. so the FDA(usa) is actually letting them get away with an ammonia wash to stave off the e-coli and other lovely bacteria from these parts since they don't all get proper refrigeration.

gosh it seems normal to me to have a skin rash after consuming ammonia.

after reading that article, i will never ever eat another hamburger again in my life....scouts honor!
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/19/2011 10:06:29 PM

... i recently read an article, sorry don't have the link about what goes into the meat patties in fast food restaurants these days and how it's processed. it's getting really bizarre because you know lots of undersirable body parts are getting ground up like noses and ears and hoofs...
ewwwwwww....I can't remember the last time I had a burger at a fast food place. After reading this, it will be the last time. Here, you can buy only good quality chopped beef, it has almost no fat and probably not noses, ears or hoofs. Or, you can, here or anywhere, have the butcher grind up the beef while you watch. I think that is what I will do from now on. There's a supermarket a 10 minute walk from me that does that. On the rare occasion I have a burger, from now on, that is what I will do.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/20/2011 6:31:42 AM

...Or, you can, here or anywhere, have the butcher grind up the beef while you watch. I think that is what I will do from now on. There's a supermarket a 10 minute walk from me that does that. On the rare occasion I have a burger, from now on, that is what I will do.

Even better, do it yourself.

I have the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid.

Buy your meat from a local farmer.

I like a 80% Beef / 20% Pork Mix, with a mix of sirloin and rib-eye for the beef.

Cube your meat into 2" blocks and put in freezer for a few hours and also grind the meat twice for best results.
 salamander000
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2011 8:35:56 AM
Why don't you just google it, find others with the same reaction, start a support group and discuss....

You will probably never know, that's why my friends all start yawning when I complain about what might be causing my "bad air"

Sooner or later, you are going to realise, that noone knows, and if they do, they're not gonna tell you...but support groups can be fun (think "Fight Club" scenario)

" You take brain parasites on tues and thursdays and I get throat cancer group on fridays."

but I wanna be Marla Sanger, and you can be Tyler Durden
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2011 8:59:35 AM
I would wager it is not the food but environmental. Cleaning products used etc... Perhaps even in the heating/air conditioning ducts.

I worked briefly in a 4 story Office Building in Louisville KY and I would feel fine all day until I sat down at my desk and would immediately start coughing and blowing my nose unbelievably. I mean I could not sit down and even read my emails for 5 minutes. Went to a Doctor for a checkup as everyone at work thought I had some horrible virus. I am talking to the doctor and of course feel fine. No coughing or anything.

He said it was environmental probably and I could spend a fortune trying to diagnose it for sure unless it was something common. The company paid outside cleaning crews to come in at night so it was not going to be easy to demand changes in cleaning products when I was the only one showing symptoms anyway. I have never had anything like that happen before or after either. But it was something in that office building for sure. I would bet most every single thing that is food or packaging from cups and straws to hamburger patties are all coming straight from McDonalds distributors. They are not allowed to just go buy meat or buns etc... someplace else. Part of being in a franchise chain like that. Their goal is for you to go into any McDonalds in the world and know that Big Mac and Frys is going to taste the same.

Cowboy
 ThatGuy1082
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/20/2011 6:41:33 PM
Just a rash? Consider yourself lucky. The nutritional value of their grade "D" beef is processed with more fillers and non-food products than I can pronounce. IN my opinion, a "D" has always been a failing grade. Then it's prepared (cooked?) hours before and has been swimming in greasy water in plastic warmers. You order it and it's slapped together by teenagers who couldn't tell you the last time they actually washed their hands, or by some moron who's last task was to take out the trash or clean the men's toilet. Throw a slice of chemically manufactured so-called cheese on it, not to mention the 600 mg of sodium in their ketchup. I'm surprised anyone eats there at all. You'd be better off eating the bag!
Hey, you want that Super-Sized?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is there a reason why the local Mcdonalds would give me skin rashes but others don't?