Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > UK Census next month- who is sleeping in your bed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Venusilo
Msg: 1
UK Census next month- who is sleeping in your bed?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The UK census on March 27th asks the normal intrusive questions, e.g. who is sleeping in your house that night, including guests. Census is supposed to help with planning of schools, hospitals, road building etc. Most commendable.
There are many invasive questions e.g. How many rooms in your house? How many hours a week do you work ?(I’m self employed so actually nobody’s business) etc. (this is based on 2001 questions) On their own, questions not too serious, but I do object to the invasion of privacy, so not too keen to fill it out. I am not a rebellious person, I work hard, I pay all my taxes etc, but what worries me is the information gained from the *combination* of the data, e.g. you might have a house with 20 rooms, but only work 5 hours a week? What might be deducted? You work in the black economy or just well off? Either way some snooping going on I think. Are you happy with the census?
 Mizphitz
Msg: 2
UK Census next month- who is sleeping in your bed?
Posted: 2/26/2011 11:27:16 AM
Never really given it much thought - although I do find the information gathered over the decades facinating and extremely helpful when working on my family tree.

I have no qualms answering any of the questions at all - I've nothing to hide or be ashamed of.....and as for who's sleeping in my bed on 27th March...I have no idea....but I have a few weeks to work on it
 fishburger
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/26/2011 11:33:33 AM
ill just tell them what i always tell them.nowt.i just rip them up and throw them in the bin.end off.
 46AndNormal
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/26/2011 11:38:34 AM
I think they are going to use the census in their way to help cut in some benefits , like the fact if people are not working , and theres a single person on housing benefit with a 3 bedroom house , knowing that 1 person lives in a 3 bedroomed house and getting housing benefit then they may be told they have to move into something smaller and cheaper or risk part of the housing benefit ,also it now includes
(Other new questions include how well respondents can speak English, what kind of central heating they have installed, whether they have a second home, how they define their national identity and whether they are in civil partnerships. )

so in my opnion i think they are going to find alot of useful information out from all the new things they have added
i would bin mine but cant afford the risk of up to £1,000 fine lol
 M0ll_Flanders
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/26/2011 11:44:54 AM
Totally agree with poster 2 ... the census has provided a plethora of useful information over the decades ... unless you've got something to hide what's the problem ???
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/26/2011 11:52:31 AM
Gah - I hate that 'if you've got nothing to hide' rubbish. I'm pretty sure I'm behaving myself at the moment, so I've nothing to hide. The census forms came around last week or so here, Mine went in the bin... not because I have anythine to hide, just because the government want me to fill it in... that's it really. 'They' want me to, so I don't.
 M0ll_Flanders
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/26/2011 12:21:12 PM
Gah !!! I hate that "it went straight in the bin" rubbish .... I'm behaving myself at the moment as well and have no problem filling in a simple form ..

... still some people suffer from paranoia ... "they" ha ha ha ! ......

... peace to them :)

Venusilo
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/26/2011 12:37:42 PM
As an example of the questions, if you have an overnight guest on 27 March 2011, the government will want to know their full name, date of birth, normal address and gender.

Also what type central heating you have!

I own my house, no mortgage and nothing to do with the government.
 PaisleyGent
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/26/2011 12:45:39 PM
what type oe central heating i have hum
whats that lol
i have none were i am
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/26/2011 12:48:59 PM

... still some people suffer from paranoia ... "they" ha ha ha ! ......

... peace to them :)

Not paranoia at all. When I say 'they' I mean authority, nothing more than that. You might be happy to tip your hat and do everything you're instructed, but some of us aren't... I don't see anything 'paranoid' about that.
 Mizphitz
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/26/2011 12:57:38 PM
I really have to giggle at all those with conspiracy phobia......

As for saying "they ask me to do it so I won't" ............a rebel without a clue if ever there was one

All those who keep posting thread after thread blaming the Government for everything from people having too many kids and not being able to afford to feed them, to the wart on the end of their noses should read up on why they were introduced in the first place

"The first census took place in 1801 after demographer Thomas Malthus told how population growth would soon outstrip supplies of food and other resources, leading Britain into famine, disease and other disasters. People quickly began to see the need for a census, Parliament passed the Census Act in 1800 and the first official census of England and Wales was taken on 10 March 1801. Since then we have taken a census every ten years - except in 1941 during World War II)

The information collected on the questionnaires is used to help government and local authorities plan the services and resources people need, such as transport, housing, healthcare and education. The amount of money your council has to spend on these important services is based on population statistics from the census. That is why it is so important that everyone takes part."
 Lusipher
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:06:29 PM
I actually quite like the idea of a national census.

It's fairly interesting and I'd imagine that the information is actually going to be fairly useful.

From what I remember last time, there was nothing on there that I didn't want to answer, so assuming it's the same this time, I'll happily answer all the questions.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:17:03 PM
The thing is, everybody that's upfront, honest and decent will fill it in...the people that are not those things...wont, for whatever reason...so what is the point?

The results will not be a true reading of 2011 society and living standards etc

I have mixed feelings, as has already been commented on...I have no real objection to filling the form in, but it could be construed as invasion of privacy, after all 'they' always seem to 'lose' our private data dont 'they' and goodness knows whose hands it could end up in and what the relevant info could be used for.

But I say again, what really is the point because not everybody will do it
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:21:11 PM

The first census took place in 1801 after demographer Thomas Malthus

Malthus was a hack who didn't have a clue what he was talking about. His theories have long been discredited, and rightly so.

I can't believe someone would put forward an argument based on the outdated theories of an imbecile, and expect it to sway opinion.
 Telfordshrops
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:24:36 PM
Well, as long as those of you who have been so brave as to 'rip it up and throw it in the bin' realise that it is a criminal offence not to complete it and submit it, that's fine.
 Lusipher
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:27:06 PM

But I say again, what really is the point because not everybody will do it

I fill it in because I want to.

Some people don't want to and that's totally their business and nothing to do with me, as I don't tend to do things based on whether other people will or won't do whatever it is.

I'm fairly sure, that the government know that the answers they get back may not be totally accurate and that not everyone will respond ... but it still help builds up a national picture.
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:29:17 PM

Well, as long as those of you who have been so brave as to 'rip it up and throw it in the bin' realise that it is a criminal offence not to complete it and submit it, that's fine.

Sorry - I shouldn't laugh... but really, that was funny. I couldn't care less if it's a criminal offence or not.
 Venusilo
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:30:56 PM
I agree with SparklingDelight.
Also, I do not see why I should be fined £1000 if I do not tell the government what Degree I have. It's in the public domain anyway.

Why should I help the government?
My MP has nor replied to an issue I have had since Sept 2010, last excuse was his email was broken for an entire week. He is actually a government minister. Unbelievable.
But I should not distract from my own post...
 Mizphitz
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:32:57 PM
so what exactly are they asking that isn't already a matter of public record elsewhere?

What exactly is it you are so scared that "they" might do with the information?

<div class="quote">I couldn't care less if it's a criminal offence or not.

is that supposed to impress us?
 46AndNormal
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:33:16 PM
The first census took place in 1801 after demographer Thomas Malthus told how population growth

they actually started before that date

England took its first Census when the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086, The first Census in the UK was done in Scotland in the 7th century. England had its 1st done in 1086 for tax purposes (doomsday book).

Census enumeration did not start on an official government basis until the year 1801
 KarmaSuitsYa
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:39:24 PM

is that supposed to impress us?

Impress you? Why on earth would I want to impress you? Was merely a statement of fact. I really couldn't care less if it's a criminal offence. I'm exactly the same as 99.9% of the population in that I completely ignore whatever laws I feel like ignoring and to hell with the consequences.
 Mizphitz
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:40:37 PM
We all know that they started long ago but as the discussion is about the official Government census I didn't think it relevant to mention it.

They are also mentioned in the Bible and also took place in Ancient Egypt.
 finbarrsaunders
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:45:20 PM
My reply to every question will be 'Lockheed Martin'
 46AndNormal
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:46:37 PM
I dont mind filling in the census , but i cant see what relevence how much someone earns , or if you have central heating , or if you speak good english ,or if someone stayed at your home has to do with it . thats the bit i dont understand
 Venusilo
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/26/2011 1:48:57 PM
re "What exactly is it you are so scared that "they" might do with the information?"

Hypothetical situation, in 5 years we are at war.
Government want conscripts, they will check your health via Census to see if you are fit.
Government wants to evacuate people to safe homes.
Looks up census and sees a a lady in home on her own with 4 bedrooms.

I am surprised they haven't asked more in this census....
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > UK Census next month- who is sleeping in your bed?