Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Question about hiding and unhiding and viewing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RPN37
Msg: 1
Question about hiding and unhiding and viewingPage 1 of 1    
If I view someone then select not to let users see that I've viewed them will they see me? Or does it only prevent users from seeing you from that point on? Same with hiding and unhiding. If I view someone then hide myself from searches will they still be able to see that I viewed them?
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 2
Question about hiding and unhiding and viewing
Posted: 2/28/2011 5:29:35 PM
Your profile is unhidden. Users will be able to tell that you've taken a peek at their profiles.

You then hide your profile. People that you've view previous to this change will still see that you've viewed them on their "Viewed Me" page.

While hidden, you look at several profiles. You then unhide your profile. The users whose profiles you have visited while hidden will never see that you've viewed them.

Hope this makes sense to you.
 RPN37
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/28/2011 5:32:28 PM
thanks, but does that apply to both the hide/unhide features as well as the "allow users to see/not see I viewed them" features?
 RPN37
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/28/2011 5:39:36 PM
Thank you. This is getting complicated. lol
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/28/2011 5:47:54 PM
"Hide" equals "not see I viewed them". "Unhide" equals "allow users to see".

It's not that complicated. Really.

If your profile is hidden or you've checked off "do not allow users to know that I peeked", users will never know that you've viewed them. This stays in effect if you change your setting to unhidden or "allow users to see that I've looked at them".

If your profile is unhidden or you've check off "allow users to see that I've leered at them", they will always know that you've viewed them.

edit to add: vvvv Correct.
 RPN37
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/28/2011 5:53:15 PM
I understand that part. The scenario I was having trouble understanding is if you viewed a users profile while having the setting to "allow user to see I viewed" then changing that setting to "not let them see". I understand now that the user CAN see I viewed them even if I change the setting to "not let them see" after the fact.

Basically, the damage cant be undone. Once you're on their viewed list you can't undo it.
 Revilors
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/28/2011 6:13:10 PM

Basically, the damage cant be undone. Once you're on their viewed list you can't undo it.

Damage control (as you put it) is very simple.

Keep your "allow user to see that you viewed them" set to "NO"....always.

Then...if you decide for some reason that you want them to know you viewed them...change it to "YES"...and view them again. Go back and change it to "NO" for further damage control on other profiles.

The thing is...is that it is all quite silly. You get drawn to view a profile from a tiny thumbnail. It isn't until you get to the profile that you get a photo really big enough to look at.

NOBODY should take any stock in the fact that their profile was viewed. It means nothing unless/until they contact you. I really hope you're not sending any of those "Hey...I noticed you viewed my profile" emails. Ya

Edit:

You do know that you will only show up on any given profiles "viewed me" page once. In other words...if you view a profile 20 times in a single day...you still only leave one "thumb print"?
 RPN37
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/28/2011 6:33:59 PM
My problem is I clicked on someone to view their profile and realized it's my ex. I dont want her seeing or thinking I'm intentionally checking her out or even knowing that I know she's on here.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2011 6:52:09 PM
To late. Delete your profile is your only hope.

cowboy
 HawkingJr
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2011 7:36:40 PM
"Best bet, is to leave it set to not allow people to know, regardless of hidden or not, and only turn it on for users who you want to let know (until you're visible)."

As a general rule, you don't know if you want someone to know you viewed them until after you've already viewed them -- at which point, it is too late.

The only exceptions I've ever come across were when I recognized somebody I knew "in real life" from a thumbnail and didn't really want to get into the POF discussion with them but was curious nevertheless. Then I would turn off "let others see I viewed them," click on the thumbnail, then turn it back on (unlike what some here claim, I have actually received emails from women after viewing them but not writing them due to a lack of time or whatever, so it does on occasion catch someone's interest-- just not most forum regulars, apparently; I view literally hundreds of profiles of women I'd date that I never end up emailing, mostly because there's just not enough time to email them all, though sometimes it's just too much trouble to come up with an opening email for a 2 sentence profile).
 sheba96114
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:54:58 PM
That does not make sense to my why have to not allow users to see me.
Sounds like your saying if I view someone one day or lets say early one morning if I turn on not allow user to see I viewed their profile next day or late that evening they are still going to see I view them each time I view them because I am on thier viewed list?

I need to understand this clearly I have never used the feature but just now turned it on and then came to the forum to find out more about it.
If all those that I viewed the feature will not work I dont like that, but is that what your saying?
 sheba96114
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:50:38 PM
Sure I can, it was only 7 not 20. This is the second question I ever asked and the 1st took almost 1 1/2 week to get answer which was not clear but by then I had decided not to purchase. Since I am not familiar with the forum, I have no clue as to how it works.
Thanks for quick response! :)
sheba
 sheba96114
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:03:03 PM
If you hide your profile, you will not show after registering on their View Me. Unhide your profile and you will show up again.

Does this mean the ones I viewed before I said no do not allow a user to see I have viewed their profile? You said I would always show up that I viewed someone even when I have do not allow on those I looked before not show but new ppl I look at would never know.

But the hiding will not show after registering on their View me. Is this for ones I viewed before saying do not allow?
Thanks
 sheba96114
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:29:43 AM
I got it I understand point 2 and 4. Forgive me but it doesnt clearly answer my question sorry.
I view someone, Im registered as a user that viewed them on the their list of viewers.
I go and hide and change do not allow user to see me view.
I look at that person again will I show as one of the last 30 or show anytime I look at them from then on other than the 1st time?

Thank you so much
 sheba96114
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:15:14 AM
Thank you so much!
 LittleMissApprehensive
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/4/2012 12:36:37 PM
One more question on this topic please.
I am not an upgraded member.
My mail settings are set that users are not allowed to see that I viewed them.
I noticed that one of the perks of an upgraded user is that they can see the dates and times that users have viewed their profile.
If I view an upgraded user's profile will he automatically get to see that I viewed his profile and what dates and times regardless of my mail settings?
Also, does it show just the last date and time that I viewed their profile, or does it give a list of each date and time that I have ever viewed their profile?

Thanks,
Sharon
 1954Man
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:18:33 PM
Of course if you never want anyone to see you viewed them search off line without signing in and they will never know and then sign in to let them know you looked that way no worries how your preferences are set if you forgot to change them back and forth
 TJbrandywine
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:15:59 PM
If I hide my profile those who I have emailed will still be able to contact me and see when I am online, correct?

If I delete my profile, will the messages I've sent today stay in their inboxes or will they disappear once my profile is deleted?
Thanks,
T
 LittleMissApprehensive
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:56:15 PM
That is certainly helpful information, thanks!
Do you happen to know the answer to either of my questions on this topic?
 leeroy838
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/21/2013 5:59:02 AM
If I view someone and they do not appear on my "last viewed"list does this mean that they can see that I have viewed them?
Also if someone has a profile set to private can they see that I have viewed them?
Thanks
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 6:01:28 AM
^^^ If their profile was hidden/private how are you viewing them?
 leeroy838
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:21:33 AM
They are not appearing on username search but in the "locals" search.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Question about hiding and unhiding and viewing