Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Single Biggest Problem with the Big News Media      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The Single Biggest Problem with the Big News MediaPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Believe it or not, it isn't bias.

It's the natural forces of capitalism, intersecting with the NON idealistic nature of the news companies themselves.
I remember from when I was very young, that there was a big change in thinking about news programming, especially on TV. Before, it was considered to be a Public Service, in return for the free use of the airwaves, to make a profit off the other shows the corporations ran. Some time in the 60's, they all decided as part of the then brand-new Business School, formulaic approach to running their businesses, that each department had to make a profit on it's own, including the News group. From that point on, accurate reporting, and complete reporting were demoted to secondary status behind getting ratings.
It's pretty obvious that if your news show has to make money from advertising, that you wont be able to report anything negative about the companies paying your income. Add to that, that reporting something that isn't exciting, no matter how important it is, wont get you ratings, but salaciousness, accusations without substantiation, and emotional posturing WILL put viewers in their seats.
This was all made MUCH worse when Reagan and the GOP successfully attacked the media for liberal bias back in the 80's. The problem wasn't that Reagan and friends were wrong about the bias, it's that the "profits first" solution to the attack wasn't to work for balance, because that would have required more expenditure on research, in order to keep up with happenings. The solution that all of the big News companies took, was to stop ALL investigation of anything politicians and others say, and instead report only "he said, she said". That's both cheap, AND safe from criticism, but it contributes NOTHING to informing the audience.

Oh well.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 2
The Single Biggest Problem with the Big News Media
Posted: 4/13/2011 9:10:58 AM
i can't remember when i first noticed the blurring of the lines between "news" and "entertainment". i do remember when the distinction seemed clear. how did the network news survive before the transition?? "gong show news" is a fairly recent invention. i despise network news in its current incarnation. i despise the self-absorbed talking heads, the hackneyed sensastionalism, and the carefully crafted insinuations designed to either insult your intelligence or sail over the heads of people too dumb, too intellectually lazy, or too short on memory to know they're being lied to through incremental or gross errors of omission. the way it's done now, "informing the audience" is secondary to everything that's *not* being said. spin. wag the dog. maintain the status quo. do not disturb the PTB. it's corporate-welfarism on the right in the name of trickle-down economics, more-power-for-the-feds in the name of nanny stateism, crisis management, and get-me-some-govt-cheese on the left, and everybody else must drink the kool aid because shit rolls downhill. but somehow people think there's a material difference between the left and the right and their precious political dogma and the false dichotomies that fill their heads on a daily basis. george orwell wasn't just making things up.

did you read "into the buzzsaw"??? i haven't, but i've been thinking about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Buzzsaw-Leading-Journalists-Expose/dp/1573929727
 Outdoor2
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2011 8:22:26 PM
If one looks at the vertical integrations of all corporations, one will find that the "news" sector is nothing more than a corporate valve to promote their $values$. Most "news shows" are beholden to corporate profits...hence they don't *actually report* news...just the "news" that corporations approve of...

They are safe from criticism simply because all large corporations own parts of every MSM....just another tool in the tool box to further their enrichment.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2011 4:15:36 PM
Good reading suggestion, cowgirl. I'll add that one to my list.
"News media" have a long history of corruption of one kind or another. I doubt there's any way of escaping it. The latest nonsense version of it has been the Rights' stab at providing imaginary "balance", by financing their own slant on things, and the Lefts' (so far failed) answer with the same degree of blatant favoritism.

The problem I've always had with money as a corrupting influence, is that money has no allegiance of any kind. It can push things in one direction one day, and push them in another the next. After a short time, the people in the business who are being pushed, do much of what I hate so much that they do now: sit off to the side, preening and posturing, and avoiding at all costs, letting on that they actually have investigated or learned ANYTHING.
 .dej
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2011 9:02:07 PM
The ATF is conducting a blatant weapons-smuggling coverup over an operation that armed Mexican cartels, getting American federal agents killed, the entire executive branch is stonewalling subpoenas from Congressional Oversight, the ATF has been caught retaliating against whistleblowers and silencing informants in gross violation of federal law, the attorney general was busted in a lie to Congress, and yet, no news like that can take any air time away from American Idol and the royal wedding.

There is no single biggest problem. There are many crippling problems. To illustrate this, I assert that 90% of the people who ever read this post have no idea what I'm even talking about.
 CountIbli
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/25/2011 10:50:46 PM
There was never any Golden Age of Truth in Media. In the 60's the press covered up the misbehavior of the Kennedys. In the 30's the media covered up FDR being cripple. Before TV the newspapers were openly partisan. There's a reason why there are newspapers with names like The Arkansas Democrat Gazette. This is not to say that they are all biased towards the Democrats, BTW.
 4rumninja
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/26/2011 4:29:06 AM
The biggest problems is that executives determine what they think is newsworthy.They base news worthiness on their political ideology and the potential viewership they gain by running whatever they deem news worthy.
I believe that ignoring Events is worse than reporting with Bias.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/26/2011 5:55:04 AM

There is no single biggest problem. There are many crippling problems.

that's true, and to add to the unfortunate nature of the thing, reporters who reveal these kinds of activities contrary to the will of the PTB can end up suddenly dead or just plain out of a job.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/27/2011 1:59:37 PM

That they ignore stories like:

U.S.A. supports feudalism in Azerbaijan for the sake of oil.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,734307,00.html

U.S.A., NATO, and the Red Cross conspired to hide the real number of Afghani civilian deaths in the Bala Baluk massacre.
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/uriks/wikileaks/article4034723.ece

FBI trained Egyptian torturers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8314475/WikiLeaks-Egyptian-torturers-trained-by-FBI.html

U.S.A. and China conspired to block reform at Copenhagen Climate Change talks.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,733630,00.html

U.S.A. involved in illegal coup in Honduras.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/11/wikileaks-latin-america-venezuela-honduras-paraguay-argentina.html

U.S.A. government union-busting in Mexico.
http://wlcentral.org/node/1351

U.S.A. soldiers pay in blood for the grotesque profits Vice President****Cheney’s company Halliburton .
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,732984,00.html

U.S.A. and Swedish military intelligence secretly cooperate against their own civilians.
http://politiken.dk/udland/ECE1132934/hemmeligt-samarbejde-mellem-sverige-og-usa-laekket/

U.S.A. Government helped Agri-Giant Monsanto dispossess local farmers and repress environmentalists in Argentina.
http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/especiales/wikileaks/index.html

U.S.A. has been secretly bombing Yemen.
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/11/29/wikileaks_yemen_revelations

U.S.A. diplomats were ordered to spy on UN representatives and obtain iris scans, fingerprints, and DNA.
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/internacional/Diplomaticos/EE/UU/reciben/ordenes/espiar/ONU/elpepuint/20101128elpepuint_23/Tes

U.S.A. pressured Germany to drop investigation of 13 CIA agents that illegally abducted Khaled el-Masri
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,733860,00.html

etc, etc, etc....
 mateo45
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:40:28 AM
Exactly right that it's really all about profits and capitalism. And despite their political leanings, FOX and Rupert Murdoch have just taken that to it's obvious and most profitable conclusion... openly marketing to one side or the other. Although who knew that the Right Wing would be such fanatical "consumers" of this kind of "info-tainment"?!
 rpl55
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2011 5:13:10 PM
IgorFrankensteen said:

Believe it or not, it isn't bias. It's the natural forces of capitalism, intersecting with the NON idealistic nature of the news companies themselves.

No... it's bias. Not political bias, necessarily, but class bias. The natural forces of capitalism apply only within the confines of ruling class interests, as FrankNStein902's post suggests.

I assumed that by "NON idealistic," you meant pragmatic, as opposed to agenda free.

Add to that, that reporting something that isn't exciting, no matter how important it is, wont get you ratings, but salaciousness, accusations without substantiation, and emotional posturing WILL put viewers in their seats.

An overstatement, but mostly true - so long as viewers have the minds of adolescents.

The solution that all of the big News companies took, was to stop ALL investigation of anything politicians and others say, and instead report only "he said, she said". That's both cheap, AND safe from criticism, but it contributes NOTHING to informing the audience.

I don't know about that. It seems that Fox and MSNBC do little other than tear apart every word of the politicians on the "other" side. As for "he said, she said," not only do they do it all the time, they let it go to extremes. An example:

Guest A - "2 + 2 is 4."

Guest B - "No it isn't. It's 5."

Entertainer (masquerading as a journalist) - "There you have it. And, you got it first right here, on ABNBCBS."

motown cowgirl said:

...somehow people think there's a material difference between the left and the right and their precious political dogma and the false dichotomies that fill their heads on a daily basis.

Absolutely baffling, isn't it?

CountIbli said:

There was never any Golden Age of Truth in Media.

Ain't that the truth. Here's an example from 1890. John Swinton of New York, a celebrated journalist of his time, was asked to raise a toast to the "independent press." This is what he said:

“There is no such thing, at this stage of the world’s history in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.

There is not one of you who dare write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with.

Other of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job.

If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my papers, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.

“The business of the journalist is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread. You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?

We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men.

“We are intellectual prostitutes.”

And it has only gotten worse.

FrankNStein902 said

That they ignore stories...

Which is indicative of bias.

mateo45 said:

...openly marketing to one side or the other. Although who knew that the Right Wing would be such fanatical "consumers" of this kind of "info-tainment"?!

True, and also indicative of bias. And, who knew that the Left Wing would be such fanatical "consumers" of this kind of "info-tainment" too?! How else could one explain MSNBC.

For fun, check this out.

http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart/main

It's an ownership chart for the six largest U.S. media firms. Push some buttons - see how much of what you "know" is controlled by the Big Six.

RPL
 part deux
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:11:21 PM
Manufacturing Consent, by Noam Chompsky is an interesting take on 'media corporations'. Wouldn't it be funny if they started the newscast with " and tonight's international news is brought to you by Sony".
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:28:12 AM
Manufacturing Consent, by Noam Chompsky is an interesting take on 'media corporations'. Wouldn't it be funny if they started the newscast with " and tonight's international news is brought to you by Sony".

I would also suggest:

Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man

Marshall McLuhan

"The medium is the message"

From Wikki:

McLuhan understood "medium" in a broad sense. He identified the light bulb as a clear demonstration of the concept of “the medium is the message”. A light bulb does not have content in the way that a newspaper has articles or a television has programs, yet it is a medium that has a social effect; that is, a light bulb enables people to create spaces during nighttime that would otherwise be enveloped by darkness. He describes the light bulb as a medium without any content. McLuhan states that "a light bulb creates an environment by its mere presence."

Likewise, the message of a newscast about a heinous crime may be less about the individual news story itself — the content — and more about the change in public attitude towards crime that the newscast engenders by the fact that such crimes are in effect being brought into the home to watch over dinner.

Hence in Understanding Media, McLuhan describes the "content" of a medium as a juicy piece of meat carried by the burglar to distract the watchdog of the mind. This means that people tend to focus on the obvious, which is the content, to provide us valuable information, but in the process, we largely miss the structural changes in our affairs that are introduced subtly, or over long periods of time. As society's values, norms and ways of doing things change because of the technology, it is then we realize the social implications of the medium. These range from cultural or religious issues and historical precedents, through interplay with existing conditions, to the secondary or tertiary effects in a cascade of interactions that we are not aware of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message
 OyVay...
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:51:57 AM
Well rather than continue the political rantings, that try and sway arguments to the right or left, I think I would rather address this in the spirit, that Igor started this in. In keeping with his theme of "formulaic approach to running their businesses", I see our current offerings, as an extension of that.

By all means I agree news started as a public service announcement type of broadcast. Then came the break through of Edward Murrow and opinions. Although one must remember, that I believe all media outlets, saw this as a loss leader, and as such, put them on at the same time together.

With TV as a new medium, and life seen as normal. Most people at the time, had the sit down dinner, TV's were bulky and usually found in the living room. So maybe 80% of the people were away from their set during those early broadcasts. Personally I think the single biggest turning event was the assasination of JFK.

Whether it was the goulish nature of us(watch car crashes, plane crashes, racetrack crashes) or the emotional outpouring, this seminol event, was the first to drag people away from the table and to the TV during the meal, the rest is history.

The changes then followed in lockstep, with business models and demographics. First came better sets to broadcast from, tv's became smaller, personalities or stars were made, by how the public perceived them, not by the amount of knowledge they had.

Since they needed ad dollars, and every airtime minute, was either a low dollar income or higher by how many viewers they had, they began the subtle shift, to what would draw viewers. Why spend 30 minutes telling news stories, that bore people? They began to insert more weather, traffic reports, local color stories(which is really sh1t, since it is fluff).

This started the major slide from news to entertainment.

Now you have developed media, to support the fix of those with beliefs. On the right you have FoxNews and the left MSNBC. Now semantically we can argue all day about who is better or worse. Frankly as a liberal, of course I find MSNBC more palatable, although, I think they are far more balanced, and at least give the appearance of trying to be fair. They have on republicans like Steele, Buchanan and others.

On Fox I find more misinformation, whether by design or accident, sometimes they will report something that is an outright lie. If they retract it, they do that once or twice in the middle of the night when no one is watching.

More mainstream media, devotes less and less time to stories, that are partisan or divisive, not wishing to alienate any veiwers, so they don't lose market share and thus can charge less for commercial air time.

In the end what we are left with is akin to sports coverage. Yes we have the NFL, MLB and such. Although we also have professional wrestling, which is the hybrid combination of fit athletes and a show that amuses viewers. Everyone is supposed to know it's not real, but they have some out there that believe it actually is.

So now in the name of entertainment, we can make up our news as we go along. It substitues for the real thing, just like your supposed to believe Survivor, the Great Race and the Bachelor are real.

Sad really...
 cotter
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:49:09 AM

On the other hand, Ron Paul is treated by the media as if he's not even running yet ...
No matter how the media would treat Ron Paul, he's really not a viable candidate ... even if he was covered 24/7 .

I personally don't know anyone who takes any of the commercials on any of the candidates seriously and it's clear to me which news broadcasts are conservative and choose not to cover even one positive thing our President does.

Here in Columbus, we have one of those 57 stations that was owned by the SBG (Sinclair Broadcast Group) and we were constantly being subjected to that horrible and vile Mark Hyman. If anyone wants to know who that is ... here ya go!

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/november112009/hyman_tk.php
The Man Who Despises America: Mark Hyman
Political Perspective by Tim King Salem-News.com
(Excerpts)
Is his anti-American rhetoric a threat to national security?

(SALEM, Ore.) - Mark Hyman, the VP for Corporate Relations of one of the country's mainstream broadcaster organizations, the notorious Sinclair Broadcasting Group, wrote a Veterans Day article full of blistering lies and thinly veiled racism directed at the American President.

I don't know if he is aligned with domestic terrorists or some other kind of anti-American activists, but Hyman was and is out to steer Americans off the cliff.

Hyman's extremely leading analogies seem expressly constructed to injure the American vision of its first black President.

And it seems likely that Hyman's statements could be construed as "aiding and abetting the enemy", as he provides false, agenda-driven information to bring down the image of the President, which in turn potentially puts national security at risk in numerous ways.

Sinclair is known for some of the most greedy and anti-employee business practices in the media world. They've also gone to a great extent to manipulate the news.

The Rolling Stone wrote, "In the firmament of right-wing media outlets, Sinclair stands somewhere to the right of Fox News." Indeed, these guys will be remembered for their complete and total support of the two wars overseas, which paid off well under Bush, but not the new President.

They're monopolizers with more local TV stations than any other station holder in the U.S. ... they run low-paid employees to the ground, and they were the first to jump on board of the FCC deregulation in recent years, that allowed broadcasters to consolidate the ownership of multiple stations in one market.

This meant Hyman and his boys would buy a second station, fire the staff, and make all the people from the first TV station, run both. Look up the blogs if you ever want to know what Sinclair's employees really think of them.

Sinclair operates 57 different TV stations across the country in mostly small and medium markets. Some of these stations offer news. This allowed Hyman a chance to insert himself into the mix of media personalities and eventually gain a reputation as a biased GOP mouthpiece.

Hyman was known for his conservative, one minute talk segments called The Point, that ran on Sinclair stations between 2001 and 2006. In these bouts of right-wing propaganda which were highly criticized, he became fond of using words like "Cheeseaters" in reference to the French, and terms like "diddly-squat" as a system of measurement.

His words then and now, are a desperate and pathetic attempt to deliver slightly masked racism and hatred that seeks to engage the emotions of the sheep; those Americans who don't think for themselves, or even have the courage to. (There is hope for all of you by the way.)

People who refuse to acknowledge the truth of the last eight years and the endless string of lies that were fed to the United States public by Bush and his cronies, are no servants to the greater good.

But the people who benefited from the madness of Bush; that top greedy one percent of America's bourgeois elite, they are the ones who should be singled out as the subjects of news articles like this one.

In the first paragraph of Hyman's rant today, he instantly talks about how his words will, "make the nut jobs on the far left excitable beyond belief."

The reality of the matter is that his assessment applies to most everyone else in this country as well. Most Americans, liberal or not, disapprove of dishonest tactics, and most might say that Hyman's the nut job if there is one.

Enemy of Truth

In addition to Obama, this pundit is after the popular broadcasters and media companies and personalities who want to see greed tempered and the poor provided opportunities.

He targets Media Matters for America, MoveOn.Org, Michael Moore and Rachel Maddow. Of course he does! They are the few in the U.S. who speak the truth. Naturally a person representing the interests of Sinclair would be opposed.

His article for Veterans Day is titled, "Barack Obama despises America" and it is the most foolish and stupid statement I have heard in any recent time.

Obama is so far down the road compared to this pundit, that he will probably never really be able to address the writer's slanted, false statements. Barack Obama has plenty of faults, but characters like this don't even know what the real faults are. These pro big business advocates pump misinformation, and keep an eye out for weak spots, jugular veins, and more ways to inject lies into the informational pool.

Hyman cuts people down in his article because they are old, or fat, or different. It's a perfect snapshot of what the modern day neoconservative is willing to say and do. He's a spokesman for the bullies, the ones who dominate and lie. In Maddow and Moore and Olberman and a growing list of others, people like Hyman see their demise.

The truth is a bitter, jagged pill.

Hyman twists and lies his way through the whole article in question, with small truthful references sprinkled here and there, just enough to slime his lies down the word chute.

At one point the writer claims, "Obama ordered the release of the so-called CIA 'torture memos,' seriously damaging delicate intelligence relations with allied nations and placing at grave risk the safety of U.S. intelligence officers working overseas."

Note how he uses quotes around torture memos.

So come right out and say it Hyman, you believe in torture?

I saw this crap while covering the war in Iraq last year; detainees abused by contractors while they were bound, hooded and made to sit cross legged in ways no person really should. When they moved, they were kicked or had their hoods jerked. They couldn't see it coming, but it came, even though I was aboard this two and a half hour flight at night in an Army CH-47 that I boarded from the Marine base in Fallujah.

I guess that's how casual they are over there about torture. I was "taken away" after finally landing at Balad, and Army intelligence forced me to erase the tape. That's integrity for you.

And people like Hyman believe these serious crimes should be overlooked? Demented and out of control civilian soldiers at Abu Graib with no backgrounds in corrections, entertaining themselves with depraved sexual behavior and horrible human abuse?

Does anyone like seeing Americans appear as monsters? I think they're really bad representatives and wrong is wrong. In this case it's worse than wrong.

Hyman doesn't mention how Obama refused to release evidence of the torture at Abu Graib very recently, much to the chagrin of people who actually have Christian values and stand firmly against being a "torture nation".

Time to Wake Up

Almost all Americans know we've been had. This nation was sold down the road for the benefit of Haliburton and private mercenaries and we look terrible in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Thanks to irresponsible personalities, especially those who take advantage of their positions, like Hyman, Barack Obama has faced so many contrived charges that we could never list them all. It is treasonous. These Republicans just can't believe that we elected a black man as President, but they had better get over it, because people are paying attention and people remember.

The central theme against Obama in Hyman's article, if indeed there is one, is probably that Obama is bad because he is critical of this nation's past deeds. Like the rest of us, he knows that the United States has committed errors in the past and that atoning for those errors is the correct and honest thing to do. But he (Hyman) will use his position with Sinclair to perpetuate the misinformation.

He states in the article, "One of Obama's very few suggestions to cut into his $1.4 trillion budget deficit was to have servicemen and women pay for their own war injuries."

Obama never called for any such plan. This line is taken from Obama's suggestions that insurance companies carrying coverage for those wounded troops, above and beyond their regular federal coverage, might have to share the bill.

Imagine making the insurance companies, bailed out by the federal government... contribute. No wonder this Republican lost his mind. Certainly he (Hyman) has to protect the overtly greedy and dishonest insurance industry.

Then, even though it is specifically, clearly written that the new healthcare plan will not help illegal aliens, this Sinclair representative writes, "He's all for providing free health care to illegal aliens but believes wounded warriors should foot their own hospital bills. In fact, the Defense Department is about the only sector of government in which Obama has proposed slashing spending."

The Defense Department. Does anyone have any idea how badly we veterans have been treated by the DoD?

Oh, and Hyman, in case you didn't guess yet, is totally behind the oppressive racist state of Israel and its ongoing colonizing of Palestine.

He thinks Obama is bad because he has stood up to Israel. Indeed, Obama in the opinions of most thinking people, has caved to Israel in allowing the Jewish state to continue its systematic oppression of Palestinians, as well as Israel's obsession with stealing land historically owned by others.

Fear and lies: that is what you can expect from writers who attach their names to American companies that have drug us all down, and continue to.

Hyman and his bunch care about padding the pockets of their shareholders, and their own wallets; they don't care about you and I and they don't take the high road.

Interestingly, Wikipedia states that, "Hyman continues to offer his conservative opinions in print and online for American Spectator magazine which erroneously states that he continues to provide commentaries for Sinclair Broadcast Group stations".

I know one thing, Hyman and his band of jackals organized the "swiftboating" of Presidential Candidate John Kerry, and that got us another four years of horrible leadership under Bush and his team.

I remember the revulsion in Jim Rassman when Hyman's name was mentioned. Rassman is the Green Beret that John Kerry rescued in the Mekong River during the Vietnam War. Hyman's efforts were the biggest at pushing the false information about Kerry forward.

I spent half a day with Jim Rassman during the elections, when I was a reporter for KATU in Portland. For him, the actions of Hyman in discrediting through deceit, was more than aggravating.

I also spent part of a day with John Kerry's stepson, Andre Heinz Kerry, during this time period. He was very positive and upbeat, but he couldn't fully conceal the way the lies about Kerry were affecting the campaign. It seems fair to say that the swiftboating of that Democratic candidate cost us the election.

People who vehemently represent the political interests of this sarcastic neocon can only have bad motives. Obama's Healthcare plan will be hard on insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies, and it will make large corporations take better care of employees, which affects their bottom line, and that is what this whole thing is about if you boil it down.

The Single Biggest Problem with the Big News Media ... They are mostly all owned by the Republicans and Zionists.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:23:44 PM
At least Andrew Breitbart is dead. One less liar to deal with.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:44:00 PM
Actually, Andrew Breitbart is a perfect example of what is wrong with Big News Media.

There's a whole lot of stuff on the internet - some good, most not. Andrew Breitbart would be in the not-good category. Yet he managed to cross over to mainstream. He had just pure ugly, hateful drivel that should have just been fed to those who sought out that crap.

Look at how he doubled down on the lies against Shirley Sherrod after he was exposed. But he served the interests of other media, so he got exposure.

And yeah, the world is a little better place now that Satan has taken him home.
 cotter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:14:25 PM

The following video not only explains and exposes...
Message 21 and message 22 ...
More youtubes? Oh dear.

... actually silencing opposition of our government and legalizing indefinite detention of American citizens.
Is this some sort of joke? Don't you ever get tired of alarmist news?

It reminds me of all the Bush fear-mongering.
 where4
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2012 12:29:34 PM
I'm sorry for laughing, but this just tickles me:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/newt-gingrich-cnn-less-biased-fox-news-141511492.html
Newt Gingrich: ‘CNN is less biased than Fox’

In what some might consider an act of GOP political suicide, Newt Gingrich slammed Fox News earlier this week, saying that the cable news channel has favored Mitt Romney throughout the 2012 Republican race--and that CNN has been the more "fair-and-balanced" network this cycle.

"I think Fox has been for Romney all the way through," Gingrich said during a meeting with Tea Party leaders in Delaware on Wednesday, according RealClearPolitics.com, which said it was granted access to the private event. "In our experience, Callista and I both believe CNN is less biased than Fox this year. We are more likely to get neutral coverage out of CNN than we are of Fox, and we're more likely to get distortion out of Fox. That's just a fact."

The former House Speaker blasted the Roger Ailes-led network, blaming Rupert Murdoch, chairman and CEO of Fox News owner News Corp., for the bias.

"I assume it's because Murdoch at some point said, 'I want Romney,' and so 'fair and balanced' became 'Romney,'" Gingrich said. "And there's no question that Fox had a lot to do with stopping my campaign because such a high percentage of our base watches Fox."

"This is nothing other than Newt auditioning for a windfall of a gig at CNN--that's the kind of man he is," a spokeswoman for Fox News responded in a statement to Yahoo News. "Not to mention, he's still bitter about the fact that we terminated his contributor contract." (Gingrich was dropped by Fox last year shortly before he announced his presidential bid.)

Gingrich added that he will attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner later this month--as a guest of CNN.

"The only press events I go to are interesting dinners when the wife insists on it, so we're going to go to the White House Correspondents' dinner because she wants to. And we're actually going to go to CNN's table, not Fox."
 vlad dracul
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 12:13:32 PM
there has been voting today in france

the msm have been covering it in the uk

it was between the socialist and the conservative we were told, no
one else had any chance

so the socialist has 27.5 the conservative 26.6 of the votes

but whats this? an 'extremist candidate who was hardly mentioned
will now be king maker

well done marine le pen and the front national who recieved 19.9
of the vote.

only the first 2 rodents progress but the seldom mentioned and liberal elite
hated marine le pen holds the key. as she recomends where the front national
voters who to vote for in round 2.

hated by the elite, ignored by the msm loved by working french folk

WELL DONE MARINE LE PEN AND THE FRONT NATIONAL who needs
the corrupt press?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 12:44:21 PM
She got less than 20% of the vote. That hardly qualifies as "loved by working french folk."

I don't know about the UK, but here in Canada she's gotten more coverage than the guy who finished first. Today was the first time his name was actually in the news that I noticed.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2012 1:14:58 PM
you dont think getting just under 20% of the vote with
attacks daily, smears and lies and then generally ignoring
the front national that they have not done well?
(and by that i mean the only publicity being the usual negative
sneer and smear the msm use)

well can i just say ive had a wee gander at the latest news
storys and they are shocked at the support marine le pen
recieved from ordinary working french folk

but you stay in your bubble mate lol she gives sarkozy her
voters he wins.

what does he have to give in return? its a great result for french
working folk and a fantastic kick in the goolies to the corrupt elites

well your media and ours are poles apart then because anyone
who is remotely outside the elite clique get the silent treatment from
the msm

the socialist winner of round one has just read his election address saying
that they need to look at what appeals to the front national and he is disturbed
by the level of support.

read it how you will but there are elections in the netherlands soon and
i believe gert wilders freedom party will be THE main winner and become
kingmakers.

the old guard corrupt partys have had their chance they should skim as much
cash as they can and leave because their day of reckoning is arriving

oh and i forgot the usual (yawn) nazi like party lol the sneers and smears
dont work anymore apparently

from the grauniad

Marine Le Pen scores stunning result in French presidential election

With between 18% and 20% of the vote, the far-right candidate has beaten the previous record for Front National

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/22/marine-le-pen-french-election?newsfeed=true
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Single Biggest Problem with the Big News Media