Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > When to use the "Recyled air" button in car?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thisisall1word
Msg: 1
When to use the "Recyled air" button in car?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
For the life of me I have yet to figure out why all cars have this? If they surveyed their customers, probably less than 0.1% of people would know. Does anyone here know? Perhaps it is to help with defogging, but I never see any difference in using outside or inside air.
 DiveBomber
Msg: 2
When to use the Recyled air button in car?
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:01:08 PM
Just roll down the window and forget about it!!
 jasonsgt
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:05:05 PM
It just recirculates the air thats already in the car. If youre behind a cattle trailer on the interstate, just hit recirculate and the smelly outside air wont be pumped into the cabin. Another benefit of using recirculate is that if you have the A/C on, the cold air already inside the cabin, will recirculate again, making the air coming out of the vents even colder.
 Revilors
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:14:33 PM
When it is particularly hot/cold outside...the ac/heater has to work especially hard to cool/heat the air. If you recirculate the already cooled/heated air...it will be cooler/hotter than otherwise.

Plus...if you have allergies...recycled air will be recirculating through the filter without the additional allergens being introduced from outside air.

Theoretically.
 thisisall1word
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:17:32 PM
By the time you smell the cattle trailer, it is too late. Who would want to recirculate smelly air with your own exhales? If a car had a sensor saying "smelly air approaching" then it would sense.

I suppose you are right it makes the AC operate more efficiently. But is it really significant? I doubt it.

So back to my question of my design a feature no one understand and no one uses?
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:26:52 PM

I suppose you are right it makes the AC operate more efficiently. But is it really significant? I doubt it.

If you doubt it, then you really have no idea how much energy it takes to cool air.

So back to my question of my design a feature no one understand and no one uses?

So far it seems that you are the only one that does not know what it does and or is too lazy to consult your owners manual.

Also you should not use it when it is below freezing outside, as you will notice your windows will fog up as it allows a build-up of moisture.
 jasonsgt
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:30:58 PM
By the time you smell the cattle trailer, it is too late. Who would want to recirculate smelly air with your own exhales? If a car had a sensor saying "smelly air approaching" then it would sense

If you want to wait until you smell it to press recirculate, be my guest. I will hit recirculate the moment I see the trailer because I know that a cow trailer is going to stink.

The smell will eventually disipate inside the car...and Id say thats better than having it continuously pumped inside.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 11:29:28 PM
I use the recirculated air function in my car quite often, especially when the air quality is unhealthy. It's a personal choice, appreciated by those with limited abilities to process harmful air through their pulmonary system. It's probably most useful in areas of the country where the air is unhealthy - or just plain filthy!

So I use it ... some others use it ... you don't use it. Who cares?

I'm sure auto manufacturers offering this option must be responding to some market survey that indicated it's a desirable feature! They must consider it a profitable option.
 Uomo_Universale
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 12:26:39 AM
One use is for faster initial cooling of the vehicle with AC.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/24/2011 3:15:31 AM

t just recirculates the air thats already in the car. If youre behind a cattle trailer on the interstate, just hit recirculate and the smelly outside air wont be pumped into the cabin. Another benefit of using recirculate is that if you have the A/C on, the cold air already inside the cabin, will recirculate again, making the air coming out of the vents even colder.

^^^^^^^^Tis true

And hint.

If you want the car to cool quicker do NOT put the fan on highest setting as it pushes the air over the condenser to fast to cool properly .
 Molly Maude
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 8:50:21 AM
now THAT, Peppermint ... was a USEFUL bit of information! very logical but one I'd never considered! I've never been considered to be very mechanically minded!

thanks!

Revilors
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/24/2011 4:23:09 PM

If you want the car to cool quicker do NOT put the fan on highest setting as it pushes the air over the condenser to fast to cool properly

Be still...my heart.

I think we are seeing that a number of people use it and/or understand it.

Many people don't understand the feature that allows you to drive in a lower gear with an automatic transmission...or the little "tow" button.

The "feature" doesn't add cost (or very little) to have it. It is just another diversion of the air...like the air that is diverted to change from floor, vent, defrost.

You shouldn't feel cheated in some way if you don't understand or use it. It wouldn't change the sticker price.
 matchlight
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 6:17:00 PM
The A/C system in your car either takes in outside air, however hot it is, or air from inside. In one case, the intake air that has to be cooled might be 90 degrees or more. But if it's set to recirculate, the air taken in (usually under the dash somewhere) is not too much warmer than the average temperature of the cooled air inside the car.

It takes a lot more energy to keep that average temperature at 70, say, when the air being cooled is 90 than when it's 75 or 80. Even when the system's set to recirculate, 10 or 20% outside air is mixed in for safety's sake. If some exhaust ever leaked and got sucked into the car, the monoxide could impair the driver if no fresh air at all was being brought in.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 6:55:32 PM

I think we are seeing that a number of people use it and/or understand it.

Well, here's where I admit my utter ignorance, and say thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Having lived in Canada (BC) most of my life, while my cars all had air conditioning, I rarely used it apart from the odd time in summer. Living in Virginia now, though, this is an informative thread for me. (Especially since I just spent a small fortune on AC repairs in my 4 year old car, compressor was shot, and since I purchased used the warranty...well, grrr, don't get me started!)

Never really thought about AC or how it works before, and am going to read my owner's manual now for maximum performance. I (yes I know, d'OH Sweetness) had just assumed the "max AC" setting for was 'extra' AC and had never used it or really thought about it, since I assumed it would lower my gas mileage even further. Nor had I really thought about the other button with the circling arrow inside an outline of a car shape, or what it did.

Not to go off-topic at all but, does using the 'recycled air button' save wear and tear on the AC and repairs? Just curious, if I'd used it all along, if my compressor etc wouldn't have burnt out so quickly, is all.

Thanks for the thread, OP, you've given this AC dummy something to think about.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/24/2011 7:58:35 PM

Not to go off-topic at all but, does using the 'recycled air button' save wear and tear on the AC and repairs? Just curious, if I'd used it all along, if my compressor etc wouldn't have burnt out so quickly, is all.

I do not think you could equate it with wear and tear as much as using it is more efficient.

One thing you should do, is check to see if your car has a cabin air filter and if so check and replace as needed.
 Revilors
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/24/2011 8:46:18 PM

Well, here's where I admit my utter ignorance, and say thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a perfectly fine question. There are many features a car has...and we use (or don't) that we don't really understand completely. For example...gears 3, 2 and 1 on an automatic. It can be used to aid in traction as well as preventing overheating the transmission while driving in hills. I've driven a car with the newer CVT transmission. It's really smooth and is suppose to be more fuel efficient. I have no clue as to how it works...but I liked it.

I do not think you could equate it with wear and tear as much as using it is more efficient.

Not necessarily true. The compressor only kicks in when the thermostat calls for cooler air inside the car. If it cools it faster...it kicks out sooner. The other side of that...is that it may run for a shorter amount of time...but kick in more often. I wonder what is worse?

We should probably run that by PP
 Molly Maude
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 11:26:37 PM
since we're already off ... off topic ...

I've got an "overdrive" thing that I have NO IDEA what it's for ... the salesman briefly said to press this button for "overdrive" ... duh ... he could easily have said to press the button for "false safety" ... I didn't know what he was talking about ... I just nodded and said, "ok" ...

anyone?

matchlight
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2011 8:13:50 AM

does using the 'recycled air button' save wear and tear on the AC and repairs?

The compressor has to do more work when the air isn't being recirculated. But how humid the outside air is also has a lot to do with it. Part of the work the system does goes to drying out the air. If it's not recirculating and it's a hot, humid day, that puts the biggest load on the A/C. It also helps the compressor last to run the A/C a few minutes now and then even in winter.
 cotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2011 9:09:17 AM
I use it most especially when I have a really "stinky" polluter in front of me ... so I won't suck that $hit into my breathing space. Diesel fumes nauseate me so I'm especially glad to have the "recycle" air button.

In winter, it occurs to me that using the "recycle" button would mean that you're not pulling in freezing cold air to have heat before it cycles into the passenger space of the vehicle?
 FlyinBryan125
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:51:59 AM
It's so you don't lose any smoke when you're hotboxing. Duh.

Seriously though, I think the major car manufacturers are smarter than you. The button is there because people use it, why else would these companies spend the extra money including it? Be logical. Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean everyone, or anyone, agrees. That being said, I'm a smoker, so I never use it or my truck will get the nasty smoke smell stuck in the vents.
 Revilors
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/25/2011 1:44:56 PM

I've got an "overdrive"

It's like an extra gear. When normal driving conditions exist...the engine will run at a lower RPM thus saving on fuel. You DON'T have to push the button to turn it on. It is the default status. You may consider turning it off if you are pulling a trailer, driving into a very high wind or a hilly area. If you notice your car constantly shifting up and down...it's not a bad idea to turn it off to save wear on your transmission/clutch.

It's normal for it to shift now and then...like passing a car.

In most cases...it's not that big a deal...just leave it alone.

Not really "off topic"...we're talking about features that some don't understand or use.
 FanPilot
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/26/2011 9:00:05 AM
Well, when I bought my car, I was boring and read the manual, as the car had many features I had never used before. The recycle air according to the manual was for example, going through a tunnel (in particular, a long tunnel), you recylce the air so that you are not getting carbon monoxide that is lingering in the tunnel into the cabin.

However, there is a caveat... the longer you have the recycled air on, the more of your own air output (from breathing) is being recycled, so you get the internal carbon dioxide (not monoxide at this point in time) back in. You should not keep the recycled air on for extended periods of time.
 abelian
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/27/2011 3:39:32 PM
For the life of me I have yet to figure out why all cars have this?

You get the most from a bong hit by recycling the interior air.
 vanaheim
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2011 11:26:38 PM
These appeared on quite old cars and were very necessary on those old builds. I owned a few to do up for racing, which use a big heavy manual valve attached to the dashboard to switch from external to recycled air.
It wouldn't demist unless you used external. It wouldn't heat up inside unless you used recycled.

Reason was the little 15 amp alternators. Turn on the car radio and you'd lose some engine power. You felt the difference if you made the heater work harder by using external air.
So recycled makes the engine work less hard to power its electrical system, as previously noted. External air is usually better for demisting however, especially with passengers, because of breath and its moisture. Plus older cars tend to trap moisture in the cabin generally, they're poorly sealed etc.

Generally to demist the all the windows, you have to open one of the little corner triangles at the head of the front door windows, switch to external air and put the heater/demister on full hot. Once demisted you close the triangles, switch the heater to recycled/floor/hot at minimum fan and open the drivers window a crack.

But even quality of glass can affect demisting, certainly cabin/car design and other modern features. In late model cars it makes no difference what you put it on most of the time. Your 12 speaker stereo subwoofer mp3 player and sat nav draw a lot more amps. AC though gives noticeable effect not by drawing amps, but because of the compressor resistance on its fan belt when engaged.
 arwen52
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2011 7:44:47 PM
Actually, if the windows are fogging you want outside air. I can't remember why. My scientist boyfriend explained it to me more than once but I can never remember.

I use the "recycled air" when it's really dusty outside, or there's a car spewing exhaust, or something else outside I'd rather keep outside. I also use it when I'm running the A/C and it's really hot out. Don't know if I'm right, but my thinking is that the air inside the car is cooler and dehumidified so the A/C will be more effective, not having to change the temp. so much.

If you want the car to cool quicker do NOT put the fan on highest setting as it pushes the air over the condenser to fast to cool properly

Really? If the air is blowing on you, though, you feel cooler.

I don't think the A/C in the car won't work harder if you have inside or outside air. I think it just runs. You turn it on or off yourself. However, in your home, where the A/C is being controlled by a thermostat and cycles on & off, the temperature of the air would make a difference.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > When to use the "Recyled air" button in car?