Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > 24 years old and have never been in a relationship...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RayKay86
Msg: 1
24 years old and have never been in a relationship...Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hey guys, I'm Rachel and I'm 24 years old and have never been in any kind of relationship. I was wondering how most people would feel about dating someone who was inexperienced and has not dated anyone before.

To be honest, I haven't been on any dates really, minus a few in the past couple months. I never dated in college mainly because I was so focused on meeting my goals and graduating, (Not to mention my course work was primarily filled with other females)

Anways, I was wondering if experience is something that most people hold with great importance? I'm a bit worried that maybe my inexperience is a turn off or that someone would take advantage of me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
 TDH49
Msg: 2
24 years old and have never been in a relationship...
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:36:18 PM

Anways, I was wondering if experience is something that most people hold with great importance? I'm a bit worried that maybe my inexperience is a turn off or that someone would take advantage of me.
Date a Muslim man. I hear they have a big thing for virgins.

I don't think inexperience is an issue for most men OP. But you really should get out and date more. You are 24 years old and attractive, you dance card should be totally full.
 VegasGambit
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:46:01 PM
Nah, your inexperience won't be a turn-off for most men. However, you need to be cautious seeing as how you're relatively inexperienced. You don't want to let a guy take advantage of you due to your inexperience.

But it sounds like you're a smart, driven woman, so I don't think that will be a problem . Good luck!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 11:14:15 PM
It depends on how that inexperience shows through. If you are stunned and amazed that guys want to have sex with you, you'll have problems. If it means that you don't know when a guy's using old worn out lines on you to get into your pants, you'll be popular as hell.

But despite not having a bunch of dating already behind you, you DO have all the important skills already: communications, organization, and knowing what direction you want your life to go. There's nothing much more to dating than that anyway, save for the a fore-mentioned line-recognition.

As far as being taken advantage of, that's mainly a matter of knowing ahead of time what you want, and sticking to it. Lots of very experienced people haven't worked that out yet.
 LovinMy40s
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/11/2011 11:38:50 PM
24...wow...you're old.

Give me a break pretty girl. you're still young. be glad you've never been in s serious relationship yet. most 24 year olds don't get it rite the first time around. learn who you are and what you need in a siginifcant other. enjoy your life. let it come to you. cause it will...pretty girl.
 SBESQ
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:13:49 AM
It doesnt matter all if anything it is a huge positive in my opinion.
 Britney100
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:29:52 AM
you lucky b******d

god the time i would have not wasted if i had done the same route...
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:51:08 AM
You are ahead of the curve, so congratulations to you!
Way too many young people bow to peer pressure to have relationships, and they are sidetracked by the inability to focus on developing who THEY are.
Now it's time for you to date guys and have some fun, and keep an eye open for a good man with similar goals in life. He may be a keeper.
Good luck,,,
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 7:58:36 AM
I'm sure some people think about it, but I personally wouldn't even mention it. You have dated and that is all they need to know, unless they ask.

Personally, if I liked someone I wouldn't let it affect it.
 Justplainjohn
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/12/2011 8:16:06 AM
Are you talking about sex? Because bad sex can cause people to loose interest. My advice ... once you get into an intimate relationship... Talk about sex, really find out what you like and what he likes. and then do it! No experience required but communication is essential !!!!!!!!!
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/12/2011 12:50:00 PM
I'm probably going against the grain here but I really don't think, no let me take that back, I really believe you shouldn't try online dating sites to get dates.

Do yourself a favor and read some of the forums/threads in the "dating experiences" and it will give a little insight what you might be facing.

My suggestion is stick to the real world to get some experience, try hobbies and meeting men through your hobbies, even the club scene and just observe what goes on, if you have single female friends go out with them and hit the town.

The problem you will find with online dating sites is most of the guys your age, are looking to get laid, and will say and do anything to do that, they are like sharks they can smell a woman's vulnerability and inexperience and pounce all over you like a fat kid on a smarty , your lack of experience may become a issue because you might not know what not to fall for or how to pick out the losers that patrol sites .

Like I said earlier, read some of the threads/forums and you will get a idea what youre going up against.
 Such_Small_Hands
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 12:50:15 PM
I think it's great that you haven't had any relationships yet. Trust me...guys your age (and most guys in general) just want a one-time thing. You're obviously quite pretty, and you haven't been subjected to any heartbreak, yet. Date around to see who best fits you. If you're looking for marriage, determine who best fits what you're looking for. Good luck! :)
 Selfawareness
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/12/2011 1:21:11 PM
A satisfied sex life is not about experience but about love.
Find a good young man who loves you and you love to get married, which is also good for your career as a teacher.
 abelian
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:55:41 PM
Well, let's put it this way. One of my brother's never had a girlfriend until he was at least your age and out of both my brothers and me, he's the only one who ended up married (20+ years) with kids. I've never been married and my other brother was married for a year. Your life isn't over yet.
 RayKay86
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/12/2011 3:07:06 PM
Well the thing is, I have tried that. I'm from a small town and its very hard to meet people here. My church doesn't seem to have any nice young men either.

But you are right.. thus far I've had a lot of "one night stand" type of dudes messaging me.

Its very hard to meet people here is the problem.. any other suggestions? I would love to move but right now I'm super lucky to have a teaching job this fresh out of college.
 ndralcasid
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/25/2011 3:09:57 AM
I'm roughly in the same boat as you, except I'm a male....

Through conversations with my peers, are really open about experience and don't really care about relationship experience.

Women, however, tend to be a different story....
 scubadiver007
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/25/2011 1:38:06 PM
Just say you have had more important goals and priorities. That goes down well in my books.

I do like your pics.
 Beachgirltoo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2011 1:57:54 PM
I have to agree with Iceman here with what he said about not being online and doing online dating. It can be scary out there for the people who have been dating for ages, so to have someone as inexperienced as you are, well, I would hate to see you taken advantage of.

Is there some kind of group you can join that share some of your interests? I would get off of here..and fast. At least until you've had some dating experience in the real world.
 oldsoul_new1911
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/25/2011 2:02:54 PM

Hey guys, I'm Rachel and I'm 24 years old and have never been in any kind of relationship.

Really?
None whatsoever?
You've never had friends, parents, or family members?
You've never had teachers, or pets?
Wow. How do you get internet reception on your desert island?

I was wondering how most people would feel about dating someone who was inexperienced and has not dated anyone before.

Ohhhhhh! You lack dating and romantic, long term, reciprocating, synergistic, loving, nurturing, supportive, intimate relationship experience.
Okay...I wouldn't really feel it mattered for dating.
Because dating is just 2 people that go out and do shit together without really making any long term rules of acceptable or unacceptable behavior.

Just like being friends, but if one or the other wants to touch you, kiss you, or have sex with you, you deal with how you feel about the situation when it's relevant and comes up.
Rather than making blanket decisions and commitments of what you will and won't accept, ever.

So it would depend on how she actually went about with interacting with me.
If she used it as a shield so that she could hide behind it and really she just wanted me to put some value in her, like she is worth being chased and dragged out from behind the shield, I would drop kick her out of my life. IOW if she was like "okay, I showed up, now you do all the work, chase me, validate me, teach me, take responsibility for me because it's my first day," I'd say "no."

If she was just nervous, yet tried, putting effort and courage into it, then I would value my time with her more. So if she was like "I am glad I came, I was nervous about meeting you, but I like being around you,, but this is all new to me so I need time to think about what's going on and how I feel about it," I'd be "great, want to have dinner with me next saturday?"

I was wondering if experience is something that most people hold with great importance?

IMO/IME how much you hold as importance your experience or lack of it and what you are willing to do to gain more and understand that which you get holds more importance than just your level of experience in and of itself.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Realize you aren't getting younger? Your life is ticking down to its inevitable conclusion? So you better stop letting fear or insecurity rule any decisions (rule, not completely ignore anything that triggers fear or insecurity) when it comes to meeting and talking to people?
 Tree633
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/25/2011 5:24:59 PM
Rest in God (Hebrews 4:1). Don't seek the world(ly). Don't be naive, thinking everyone in church has your best interest. Most go to church and are not the church. The church Christ experienced in His time is no different than today. You're either transformed or you think you are (unless of course you deny Him all together. LOL)
Seek Christ first. He promises all our hearts desires. Sadly many focus on their desires and mad because He hasn't given them what they want. People are naturally self-centered and conditional lovers at best. They give if they get or they give and expect back. If they don't recieve back then sparks fly or hurts build up. Love gives. Nothing expected. The giver is energized. Those in the flesh live for the flesh and seek happiness for they lack true joy. You'll recognize those because their profile will say, Love to laugh, looking for someone to make me laugh, etc... That's mostly for the gals, though guys love that stuff too. I used to seek that same stuff. Now its meaningless. I have abundant life and joy. You're young. You've been patient. Follow your youth pastor's advice (I hope you had a true one). Live life.
If God has prepared you for a man, what you see as a bad thing, will be seen as a good/God thing. The world hates inexperince in love. God loves it. So do Godly men, which is far different than someone who has virginity on their checklist.

For the poster who wishes they could redo their life. God is waiting. He's made the first move. Your turn. You'll find youself renewed in all ways. I know I was. I had a great talk with my dad afterwards. A reborn virgin at 38? Pah! Just knew spiritually I was. At 30 you're even younger. You have time for renewal and more. You too have a full life waiting for you to join it.

Blessings.
 unclezeus
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/25/2011 5:37:59 PM
have never been in any kind of relationship.
...Nobody should waste time with committed relationships before age 25. But you should have been dating. Dating gives you valuable insight into understanding and getting along with men later in life.

I was wondering how most people would feel about dating someone who was inexperienced and has not dated anyone before.
....They would be excited to pop it for you. Men date women for sex.

(Not to mention my course work was primarily filled with other females)
... on the bright side to that you could have experiemented by making out with a chick.

Anways, I was wondering if experience is something that most people hold with great importance?

No.
In fact, the problem now is, after he pops it, you need to date other guys. Why?
Its a bad idea to get serious with your first. Why?
If you get married, or even if you don't, you will find yourself very curious about other men, and want to try them. And you will.

I'm a bit worried that maybe my inexperience is a turn off or that someone would take advantage of me.

A turn off?
No. You have female anatomy. Thats all thats required.
 -metal4life-
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/25/2011 9:48:25 PM
Lol I assumed you were a guy with a thread title like that, it's usually a guy who's single in his 20s...but to answer your question, no I couldn't care less if she's been in a relationship before long as I'm into her...chics got the easy end of the relationship stick lol
 me_me_me_pick_me
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/25/2011 10:50:35 PM
Maybe you're just a late bloomer?

It's not a crime to have other priorities; you were concentrating on school. No biggie.

The thing with relationships is that usually you find someone when you least expect it. Dating sites are counter productive to dating, lol.
 magician777
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 2:52:08 PM
I'm a guy and in the same post hang in there :)! If you want to, hit me up on pof and I will be your shoulder to cry on, and give advice from the guy point of view. And if by any chance any sparks fly between us, it we both might end up happier than we are now.
 Rob0123x
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 5:23:56 PM
I can't say I've been in this experience before (we're clearly all total whores around here!), but in all honesty it would be a total turn-0n. Don't let anyone take advantage, have respect for yourself, the guy will feel a million bucks if it is at the right time. For both of you :-)
Best wishes!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > 24 years old and have never been in a relationship...