Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > North Carolina  > POF Singles Blowout!!!      View All Events   Home login  
 AUTHOR
 firstcopymachine
Msg: 1
 Ithinkpositive
Msg: 2
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 7/20/2011 5:07:55 PM
I'm going to find Mr. Right
 BrownMagicLady
Msg: 3
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 7/28/2011 12:41:57 PM
LOL @ ithinkpositive! I do like your "Positive" attitude & outlook. I truly hope that you succeed in finding that special someone.
 slimjr926
Msg: 4
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 7/30/2011 9:17:37 AM
wow ur very pretty wish it could be me ur looking for , see ya later , george
 wg28078
Msg: 5
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/7/2011 1:16:03 PM
Ive never been to a POF meeting. Can someone tell me about them?
 A Little Bit of Class!
Msg: 6
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/14/2011 7:53:45 AM
I would be happy to join the gathering. My first!
 djsparkie
Msg: 7
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/16/2011 9:25:37 PM
Allow me to impart some information regarding what you will experience at The Palace in the Lake Norman area. Be advised, this is not a slam against Amy in any way at all, as I love the lady to death. She trys very hard to put on a nice event.

I DJ'd the biggest party Amy has ever thrown there back in November of last year.

What I observed is as follows:
It is billed as an Over 45 Singles Dance/Party. The majority of the folks I saw were in their 60's and over. It was sad to see 70 year old white haired women in slinky dresses trying to pick up younger men. The opposite also held true - older men in their 60's trying to pick up younger women in their 40's and 50's that came to socialize, make new friends (without the pressure of being picked up or hit on) and to dance.

I also saw alot of folks standing around just drinking and talking. There will be two bars - a larger mixed drink and beer bar and then a smaller wine and beer cash bar.

You will hear a lot of beach/shag music because thats' what folks in that area like to dance to. Then again, you will probably hear a lot of dance music that will have the odler folks complaining about.

I came away with the feeling that it reminded me of a cross between a middle school dance and bad wedding reception.

These are just my thoughts and should not reflect how you or anyone else feels about the event.

Greg
 MustLoveLivingLife
Msg: 8
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/19/2011 9:29:00 AM
Greg, I attended this event earlier this year and I would agree with most of your observations. The cover charge is $10 and many local singles meet up groups attend this event. There were 300 at the last one.

A lot of shaggers, beach music and older folks hitting on the younger ones, I heard some most amazing lines at my table as I was sitting with 9 women. "Wow you must be a pole dancer, would you like to dance?" I was asked to shield some of these women from those losers and did a good job. I did see a couple that met at the dance at a singles wine tasting last weekend so people did make connections here. I did take photos of the event and post them in the singles meetup group that I am a member of.

People do dress very nicely, almost like a prom, the women went all out, men wore golf shirts and long pants. So dress to impress seems to be the dress code. A very nice event, you can request music, if people don't dance, then he plays shag and they will dance.

Drinks are reasonable and the free food was very good, nice facilities, very classy setup. My shock was it ended at 11:00 PM ouch, I am not that old..lol!
I will be there for sure, you have to get out to meet people, nice to make a personal connection in a safe environment.

Rick
 gastonone
Msg: 9
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/26/2011 6:06:22 AM
Well come on littlebit of class..I have been to a few and have had a good time, met some great people. Hope you are safe from the Hurricane...Lookkng forward to seeing on the 24th of Septenber...Joe
 TractorPilot
Msg: 10
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/27/2011 9:34:34 AM
I've personally only been to one. (in Greenville) Just thought I'd give it a try, and see what is was like...

Here is what *I* experienced:

It was held at a local restaurant, along with their regular crowd. Reminded me of a fancy VFW. The atmosphere was terrible. A REALLY bad DJ. Music was pathetic: Usher, Electric Slide, "beach music", etc... System EQed wrong. Speaker placement totally wrong. Volume so loud that you literally couldn't yell loud enough to carry on a conversation with someone sitting two feet away..., and I'm talking about being sixty feet away from the actual dance floor. Sorry to go on about it so, but I was a dance DJ for years, and that level of incompetence from others really grates on my nerves...

The people: All kinds. Young, old, dumb, smart, sexy, ugly,.. they were all there. Not a lot of people just sitting around,.. most of them seemed to be looking to hook up as quickly as possible. A lot of social action... All I did was come in and sit down to eat and have a drink, and was approached by a number of women before I could even finish my meal. The time went by very quickly.

In short, I'd say that anyone who shows up looking and acting like someone who is not a complete looser (you will see plenty of them there), should expect to get some decent play, and should have a reasonably good chance to at least find someone that they will enjoy talking with for the night.

My 0.02...
 wg28078
Msg: 11
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/27/2011 1:33:42 PM
Alot of good information!.. Haven't decided if I will go or not, but I appreciate all the feedback! Thanks
 bashful4u2224
Msg: 12
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/30/2011 3:07:45 AM
Wow, I think I will check out what movies are TV that night.
 spritefire
Msg: 13
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/30/2011 5:04:33 AM
Thanks for the meet&greet!!!! I have a few lady friends ,that have agreed on coming to the event.Loooking forward to it!!!
 babykiwi
Msg: 14
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/30/2011 1:30:47 PM
I do not know anything about singles parties in Greenville....they are not affilated with my group at all. I always have at least 200 attend. The group is a now a 40 and up group but used to be 45 and up. It is advertised all throughout the southeast so there are always new people. We have a blast!
 Sunsetz2c
Msg: 15
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 8/31/2011 4:41:37 PM
I've also deejayed for this dance in the past (maybe I was the REALLY bad deejay referenced earlier . . . lol), and I think it is a great event, unlike any other I’ve been able to find as a single (or deejay) in the greater Charlotte-LKN area! There are a couple of things to keep in mind that will enhance your enjoyment of your evening there.

This is NOT a typical club experience, meaning, there will be differences in the sound and in the music. The Palace was previously a movie theater lobby and was not designed for primo acoustics like a club with suspended speakers and multiple subwoofers. You WILL get a variety of dance music, the variety depending upon who the deejay is and what the dancers request. The music will probably not be the style/genre you’d hear song after song at your preferred club, and some tunes played will leave you totally bewildered. (I even got a request for polka music . . . that one I turned down as diplomatically as I could.) Even so, the huge majority of the music will be very danceable . . . and will give you upbeat 'background' for meeting people, which is the whole idea of a singles dance!

The $10 admission is comparable to that of other singles dances I've attended or played for ($10 and $12 for similar dances in Greensboro . . . Winston has one for $20, but with a bigger spread of food). That may be more than the door at your favorite club, but at that club you may be dealing with lots less folks and folks having 'couples and married girls/guys night out' rather than with well over 100 legitimately (presumably) single people of the opposite sex.

If you go with the intentions of striking up conversations with strangers and asking people to dance (yes, even the women), you’ll have a much better time than if you sit back waiting to be asked. Take a chance, and assume that anyone who says 'no' to you doesn’t know what a great person they missed meeting!

I’m not deejaying for this dance, but by all means, GO! ENJOY! This is a wonderful opportunity to meet LOTS of new people while having loads of fun!
 LUCYLOU4U
Msg: 16
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:38:33 PM
Geeze after reading all this, I think I'll just stick my head in the sand and wait for Jesus to come . lol
 Sunsetz2c
Msg: 17
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/2/2011 7:22:21 AM
I just want to re-emphasize: this dance at the Palace in Cornelius has NOTHING to do with Greenville or any dances in Greenville that an earlier poster mentioned (and why he felt it necessary to go on and on as he did about an unrelated dance is beyond me . . . sort of like going to Hardee's for lunch and judging even the upscale restaurants by that one meal). I attended this dance several times just to dance and meet people before I played for it . . . and plan to attend more of them in the future. For a single person looking to meet lots of other singles, you cannot find a better opportunity in this area!
 davido364
Msg: 18
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/4/2011 5:52:57 PM
Sounds like a good time and a chance to meet people in a nice setting. It will be my first time. :)
 blueeyeman1961
Msg: 19
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:31:57 AM
hey Dan my friend...
never been to a single mingle ur way will this be as good as the one in Raleigh a couple of years ago or have you even been to one of these?....C.J..
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/5/2011 4:58:15 PM
CJ, I've been to one get together recently over Lake Norman way. I really did enjoy it, got to get out and dance some. They had a real good turnout. Cetainly you get a good mix of people, age range, etc. They did shut down fairly early, about 11:00 or so, but I dont know if that'll be case with this one or not...I just go expecting to have a good time, and it usually works out that way.....
 CastleFinder
Msg: 21
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/5/2011 6:21:05 PM
O.K. there is a plethora of replies here ranging from great to disasterous so I will keep a positive attitude and hope it's a great time. Unless someone's post scares me off between now and then, I'll be there for my first POF event :)
 blueeyeman1961
Msg: 22
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/6/2011 4:18:43 AM
thanks Dan for all the info..sounds great to me...Guess I will try to be there ..C.J..
 bud7769
Msg: 23
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:25:20 AM
hope to see you there !!! sam
 teacherofabc123
Msg: 24
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/10/2011 1:35:24 PM
So...what do you suggest? Can you talk to her about changing something up? Alot of the people signed up don't see to be 60 and 70...lol. Are you saying thats all that end up showing up? Do you know of any other event like this that is safe and "pressure free" to go to within reason, driving distance, and inexpensive??
 MustLoveLivingLife
Msg: 25
view profile
History
POF Singles Blowout!!!
Posted: 9/13/2011 12:34:48 PM
This is a fun event, totally safe and "pressure free", there are many local singles MeetUp groups that will also be attending, I am in 3 of those groups so the numbers reflected in this group are not representative of the total number that will be attending.

You won't find any other opportunities in the area at this price to get out and actually, OMG, have the OPPORTUNITY to meet other singles. It is a meet and greet if you so choose or just sit back and watch, in that case you invested a few hours of time. The whole process of dating revolves around actually taking the time to meet someone in person and see if there is chemistry so here is that opportunity with many others to do just that!

This is where you find out if their profile photos are current!
Show ALL Forums  > North Carolina  > POF Singles Blowout!!!