Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Percentage of fake profiles on paid versus free dating sites?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4232jl
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Percentage of fake profiles on paid versus free dating sites?Page 1 of 1    
I've noticed that certain paid dating sites seem to have more fake profiles than free sites. I'd think that it would be the other way around: each fake profile on a paid site costs money. And who would have so much money that they can just flush it down a rabbit hole like that? Then again, maybe I am not accurately guessing which profiles are real and which are fake. Thoughts?
 scottey63
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Percentage of fake profiles on paid versus free dating sites?
Posted: 7/31/2011 5:24:01 PM
Most sites don't charge you for posting a profile. However, most of them charge you for the ability to send and read received messages.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/31/2011 5:35:14 PM
I don't have scientific proof, but it seems that 75%-80% of the men who contact me via Match dot com have fake profiles, to the point where I am canceling my subscription because I'm sick of all the fakers.

So far, I have not had anyone from PoF contact me via a fake profile. (And now I have jinxed myself for sure...)
 free_pizza
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/31/2011 6:15:24 PM
It's because the paid sites create their own fake profiles in order to keep people on it, to make it look like there are more potential matches, and to prompt renewals. They even have people "manning" the fake profiles to send out messages to people who are "dissatisfied" in a periodic survey or whose subscription is about to expire. This is fairly common knowledge and has been exposed many times previously. Just sharing the info.
 ClassFavorite
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2011 6:35:26 PM
It's usually not a good idea to guess or judge, but knowing is Okay. Maybe some might think that if they are paying for something it is theirs to lie about opposed to a nice free site where they are doing you a big favor? There are lots of unavailable people in space and on earth. They are only fooling themselves. Just sayin.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/31/2011 6:53:50 PM

It's because the paid sites create their own fake profiles in order to keep people on it, to make it look like there are more potential matches, and to prompt renewals. They even have people "manning" the fake profiles to send out messages to people who are "dissatisfied" in a periodic survey or whose subscription is about to expire. This is fairly common knowledge and has been exposed many times previously. Just sharing the info.

Actually, I beg to differ - you have no knowledge of the communications I have had with fakers. There are real people behind the fake profiles, but they are using others' photos and 99% of the time they are from overseas. They almost always post with "widower" status. Funnily enough, some of the verbiage they use in emails, or what they say on chat, makes them easy to spot after the initial contact. I report the profiles as soon as I am sure they are fakers, as I don't want to cause any trouble for anyone with a legitimate profile.

I know that the sites do create come-ons for the "dissatisfied" - but the profiles I'm referencing have CAUSED my dissatisfaction with Match, even though Match does take steps to remove them right away.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2011 8:06:43 PM
I beg to support. My only experience with Match.com, WAS an obvious fake profile, created BY Match, for the purpose of trying to get me to pay to get messages. They chose to create a fake profile using pictures and information stolen from someone here on POF, so I simply asked her here if she really HAD sent me a message. She didn't even know about the fake profile.

There are two kinds of fake profiles on the pay sites, those FREE ones (with "limited features", including that they can't write to you) created by the same sort of dweebs who create them everywhere else for cheap, immature thrills, and those created BY the dating site, to fake potential paying customers into joining. If they write to you[ indicating they paid], then they are probably created by the site as a ploy. The site does not charge ITSELF for fake profiles, so there's no monetary mystery to be solved.
 unclezeus
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/1/2011 1:57:49 AM

Thoughts?

Yes, don't lose any sleep over this.
 Morning_Face
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/1/2011 3:19:36 AM
This is the only dating site I am on. I have seen tens and tens of fakes profiles on here. Some of them bear the photos of people who are famous in United States (mostly models and fitness people), and many of them can't even erase the name of the modelling agency they stole the picture from, or fail to notice that the picture they posted bears a watermark of the website they stole it from.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2011 6:11:20 AM
Everyone I've met on either site was real. Although, nobody ever professed to me that they were getting paid to meet me.

When you talk about fake profiles, you need to understand that the most prolific incidence was that of Match paying people to meet other people. In those cases, the profile was free.

However, I do have a friend who went on a date from Match and the woman was not the person from her picture. In that sense, the profile was fake.
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2011 11:50:59 AM
What's your definition of "fake"?

A considerable portion of all the profiles on POF are "dead" profiles that haven't been logged into for months or years. They were posted by real enough members once upon a time, but as a practical matter, they are now just window dressing to make POF look like it has more members than it actually does, and thereby make the site more appealing......

Is that really any different than padding the numbers by creating completely bogus profiles?
 *army mom*
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/1/2011 12:23:44 PM
It's just a hook to lure you in -- to get you to send them money. The management of those sites probably puts them on there. If you'll notice, all the people are uber good-looking. And some of them even seem to have profiles tailored to exactly what you are looking for.

POF doesn't have any monetary incentive, so there are fewer fake profiles on here.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/1/2011 7:00:57 PM
Oooookaaaayyyy. I don't think all of the profiles to which I refer are created by match. If I am already a paying member of match dot com, and the pics of the guys who message me aren't modelicious but look like normal, semi-decent-looking guys, AND they not only use match's email and chat programs but also regular email and chat through Yahoo or Google...then WHERE is there an incentive for match dot com to pay someone to contact me? Match already has my membership money (based on the success I had on there in years past). And these profiles are really NOT tailored to my specs. I mentioned the widower thing because these guys use that for trolling.

I have Googled a number of these guys and while most of them are indeed actual people, there are too many things in their profiles that are prevarications, and some of them seem to create new profiles all the time - sometimes using their own photos, and sometimes using others' "borrowed" photos.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/1/2011 7:14:16 PM
I think the site post fakes profiles as a way of retaining their clients. Now are there more on this site than on paid sites. I think you get a whole different type of faker here. They are time wasters on here. More into the inmate encounters than a real relationship. I would think you had few of them on a paid site.
 cinsav
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/1/2011 8:59:28 PM
I haven't run across a fake profile yet. I don't see what POF would have to gain by it. The population on this site dwarfs the other sites.... there is nothing to gain.

Have you run into a profile you suspected was fake?
 glad56
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2011 11:38:34 PM
I haven't seen any fake ones on here yet. The old yahoo personals site was full of them, bringing many "fake" ones onto match.com. I think they are mexicans or such that pose a foreign person. Who eventually after attempts to get to know them, get's in distress. In an attempt to gain $ from you. It's a scheme. Usually an attractive Russian blond or such. I had no idea that "men" had fake profile's also. Yes, it's usually most prevalent on pay site's.
 Lopez42
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/2/2011 2:33:19 AM
Match .com equals dead profiles. Just fill the site up with numbers and let that attract more customers. But if a dating site has more than 2 million users, it screams alarm bells and big neon letters saying this dating site does not help you find a date. Think about it, a successful dating site would have fewer number because when you match two people together they're supposed to leave the scene.

Ukrainian dating sites equal self made fakes. I've noticed a few sites operated by ukrainian companies, one of them is becollared, and they full of homebrew fakes. Since you're the guy, you'll be sending messages. The profiles lure you in and you pay to flirt into the void. Similar to match but it's intentional by the site owners.

"Adult" dating sites. Website orientated around meeting up for sex. Sounds too good to be true? Because it is. You sign up, get lots of messages from beautiful women (isn't that weird. Women never send the first message let alone ten of them) you pay, respond to a beautiful lady. You wait for her reply and she sends you the same seductive message as before. Also another girl just sent you the same message. You're talking to bots. Computer algorithms sending out arbitrary strings. They get away with this obvious scam because the t&c's say "from time to time we will host our own profiles for entertainment purposes. These profiles will have an icon in the top right" try looking up somespamsite scam in google. I think that's where I read cant it.

So yeah, the world's a bit messed up lol. Stick to free sites unless it's a niche or something.
 Lopez42
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/2/2011 2:39:22 AM
Somespamsite replaced the site I was talking about. But i'm not here to promote, quite the opposite. It's called adult friend finder. It's well advertised, make sure you avoid it!
 boarderdad50
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:21:25 AM
Definitely more on the paid sites, many are as said already just scams to get you to pay to read your inbox to find it was not even a real person and maybe even the company that runs the site.

The other group is organized crime in other countries, you will find groups in Nigeria and Russia doing this type of thing a LOT. They use the shelter of the paid site as a way to legitimize the profile and the person, the site does not want to ban a paying customer but will and that is also why they message you and very quickly want to get anyone who bites to regular email out of the dating site. This is when you can check the email source and see where the emails are actually coming from.

As far as why do they pay, well first off they are scammers they make money off of it and they do not pay with their cards but stolen accounts that will eventually get cut off but they bought a bunch of profiles memberships to start fishing in the meantime. They can and do buy bulk lists of stolen cc info and just use that, being in another country gives them some protection and they make millions from this so they can pay off the local authorities.

If they lure you in the start with small requests for money then if you pay its bigger and bigger issues that come up and they even have woman who will make the calls and talk to you if you they think they can get you to send some big money over.

Most basic search is to just reverse image search the profile pic, either tineye or google image work well for that. Tineye is a direct image for image search and works best but if it hits 0 that does not mean its real. Google is a more broad reverse image search and is a bit more shaky on what it returns.
 cheryl1229
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 3:33:52 PM

is also why they message you and very quickly want to get anyone who bites to regular email out of the dating site. This is when you can check the email source and see where the emails are actually coming from.

I know you can check IP addresses from email, but I don't think that is true of messenger functions, is it? These Nigerian/Ghanian/Russian romance scammers tend not to send emails at all if they can avoid it. They like to message for many reasons: it's not as traceable as email, yahoo/google/etc do not monitor and moderate as much as dating sites do, and more people stay signed in to their email than they do dating sites. IM gives them quick response, enables them to use their sales and manipulation skills to try to get what they want.

As far as why do they pay, well first off they are scammers they make money off of it and they do not pay with their cards but stolen accounts that will eventually get cut off but they bought a bunch of profiles memberships to start fishing in the meantime. They can and do buy bulk lists of stolen cc info and just use that, being in another country gives them some protection and they make millions from this so they can pay off the local authorities.

Plus, people assume that the paid sites are "safer", more regulated, and the chances of a scammer are less. In fact, for ^^^ these reasons, the paid sites are actually worse.

But, I am quite sure match and others also employ the techniques others have said. There are a lot of reasons and motivations to post bogus profiles. Paid sites are in it for the subscriber money. Free sites depend more on advertising, and need big numbers for credibility to attract advertising dollars.
 OutMind
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:38:35 AM
There are a ton of fake profiles in Match. These are women that on the first email send you to their private hot mail or yahoo mail and then they go from there. Usually their objective is to at some point extort money from you. I followed several of them so I can figure out what they do (for a novel I am writing), but in the end it's the same thing. Interestingly enough, I have not seen anyone of those here in POF. Why? I have no idea.
 southaustingal
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2011 9:06:43 AM
I agree with the school of there are more fake profiles on match. When I was on match I would receive a number of emails that would say all the right things and then ask to talk on yahoo immediately. Sure sign of a scam. Another one is that you will get a wink or email and when you click on the profile it shows that it has been removed. There are also fake posters on there of people who will try and get you to pay or reenlist so your money can keep on flowing in. I also have had what I call faux winks. Either you haven’t paid or your subscription has expired and what do you know, one of the guys you have been eyeing winks at you. Well the only way to actually “talk” to him is to pay. I did this a couple of times and sometimes there was dead air (as in fake profile but now you have my money) or the guy came back with some version of “huh?”.
There are fake posters on POF but mainly in that they exaggerate or out right lie about who they are but at least I have never had to pay money for the privilege of being lied to and I have never run across a scammer like I did on match.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Percentage of fake profiles on paid versus free dating sites?