Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does a guy mean when he says dating but nothing serious?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 taratara123
Msg: 1
What does a guy mean when he says dating but nothing serious?Page 1 of 1    
What typically does a guy mean when he says on his profile, he wants to date but nothing serious? I interpret that as they want a f-buddy. Maybe it means they were hurt and not ready to date, but I think that is less likely than the f-buddy thing. I would think more likely that it means the woman is setting herself up to get hurt if she dates someone that doesn't want it to proceed into anything serious. (I realize there may be some women who would date and not develop into anything serious, but I would tend to think that is less common than a man wanting to date with nothing serious). What are men so afraid of?
 Silent Steel
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What does a guy mean when he says dating but nothing serious?
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:22:32 PM
I am not afraid of anything....I once had it in my head exactly what I thought I wanted in a woman....I went out and found her, married her, and couldnt have been more wrong. Now I am out dating with an open mind hoping to find something serious, but not just doing it for the sake of doing it.
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:27:06 PM
Many guys have "openings" for different positions (no pun intended) ...ranging from platonic friends, casual sex partners, to a long-term relationship....It has less to do with the guy and more to WITH YOU and where you fit.

Stray__Cat
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:31:00 PM
Probably need to run that into my handy guy decoding software.
Let's give it a go:

"Dating but nothing serious"

whirrrr.....whirrrrrr
translation:

"Sex without commitment"

Meaning:
I will date you.
I will humor you.
And I will of course sleep with you.
But the moment I find someone better...
you're history.
 geoffonpof1
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:33:14 PM
My interpitation is that the guy has past issues from a relationship that he hasn't come and mental plateau and move forward in the area of having a relatioship other than dating with nothing serious, on the flip side a guy could be just looking for a non commitment one night sheet creasing romp.
It took me a while to get over the the issues of a over 15 year relationship, but I'm back and moving forward.
 PetulantPrincess
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:39:44 PM
What typically does a guy mean when he says on his profile, he wants to date but nothing serious? I interpret that as they want a f-buddy. Maybe it means they were hurt and not ready to date, but I think that is less likely than the f-buddy thing. I would think more likely that it means the woman is setting herself up to get hurt if she dates someone that doesn't want it to proceed into anything serious. (I realize there may be some women who would date and not develop into anything serious, but I would tend to think that is less common than a man wanting to date with nothing serious). What are men so afraid of?

"I wanna date, but nothing serious", is man-speak for, "I wanna sexually prey on women who are nasty enough, dumb enough, and lacking enough in dignity and self-respect to allow me to do so." Also "friends with benefits" is another nice sounding term used to describe reprehensible behavior.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:46:14 PM
He is not interested in a committed relationship. He is not going to be exclusive probably.

He wants to buy you dinner and have someone to go places with on his schedule.

He will boink you! But he is probably boinking as many other women as he can stick his weenie in also.

Cowboy
 Ro0ki3
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:56:09 PM
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed it to be interpreted like that. I have "wants to date but nothing serious." listed in my profile, but my intentions are different than what everyone is saying. To me, it says that I want to meet new people without the pressures of a relationship. I'm here to meet more people and get to know them. After I get to know someone, I might decide its worth starting a relationship. I don't want a girl to think that we are together because I wrote her a few times. LOL.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/4/2011 3:59:27 PM
He doesn't want to commit, call you his girlfriend, or meet your parents... he just wants to date and probably have sex.

Best to check on whether he's planning on being exclusive, or if that's too serious for him.
 Ro0ki3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:01:27 PM
You guys almost convinced me to change my profile just because I don't want to give off that type of intent. I was going to change it, but what would I change it to? casual dating/no commitment? That to me sounds like I would just want to have sex.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:05:59 PM
^^ you'd have to pull your shirt down to give off anything even closely resembling serious.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:07:29 PM

I don't want a girl to think that we are together because I wrote her a few times.
No sane person thinks that anyway.
To me, it says that I want to meet new people without the pressures of a relationship. I'm here to meet more people and get to know them
You call it "pressure" I call it responsibilities. You want the easy good stuff but not the stuff thats work. You want no commitment just casual dating multiple people. We got that... Thats actually what we were all describing. OK we through in boinking also. Was that what you are disagreeing about? Sooooo your not going to be boinking the cute gals you meet huh? Sorry son that dog won't hunt.

Cowboy
 Sarcastic_n_Sweet
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:18:24 PM
It means he wants to play the field and date a bunch of girls so he doesn't have to feel lonely on his quest to find "the one". When he finds her, he'll want to committ asap. But until then, all those other girls are just notches on his belt. And since he clearly states it on his profile, he doesn't have to feel guilty about blowing them off when the time comes...
 Silent Steel
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:30:52 PM
On the internet you need to actually meet them to see if there is an interest....a lot of people would consider this dating. I actually enjoy meeting women for a dinner, a street fair, a sporting event, or what ever else. You all can say what ever you want, but there are some of us that would like to get to know a woman with out sex interfering with that.
 GothamCityBoy
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:31:23 PM
One of the most desperate and disgusting things a woman can do is approach a man with the..." it's a relationship, or nothing bullshzt " !

If all he wants is fun in the sack.....there are plenty of women that want the same thing !
Women that equate sex to relationship are likely to be on sites like this forever.

But regardless, stop questioning what and why guys do what they do !!!
 taratara123
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:41:07 PM
"I don't want a girl to think that we are together because I wrote her a few times."
"No sane person thinks that anyway."

If someone wants a relationship and states so in their profile, it doesn't mean you're the one just because you write or date for awhile. I don't think any sane person would expect that either.
 taratara123
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:46:29 PM
"One of the most desperate and disgusting things a woman can do is approach a man with the..." it's a relationship, or nothing bullshzt " ! "

Why waste your time? If you want a relationship, be honest and say so (once you determine you are compatible and it's the right match) and not waste a bunch of time dating knowing full well the guy (or girl) isn't looking for a relationship. That is just a recipe for heartache.
 Ro0ki3
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:48:22 PM

You want no commitment just casual dating multiple people. We got that... Thats actually what we were all describing. OK we through in boinking also. Was that what you are disagreeing about? Sooooo your not going to be boinking the cute gals you meet huh? Sorry son that dog won't hunt.

Under your logic, I can't have a good conversation and get to know a girl without "boinking"?

Also, the line reads "dating, but nothing serious"... I don't see anywhere that indicates that meaning multiple women.
 unclezeus
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:56:54 PM
he says on his profile, he wants to date but nothing serious?

"Dating" is not exclusive to one. Means he wants to go out with women, have sex, enjoy each others company doing activities, but with no goal of establishing a relationship.

I interpret that as they want a f-buddy.

"F-buddy" is too vague. For a straight man, that could be a wife, a girlfriend, a mother-in-law, a naughty girl next door, a baby sitter, a really hot teacher, someone elses hot mother or grand mother, sisters girlfriend, brothers girlfriend, ...on and on .

A man looking for a woman to be his friend, can be translated to , "FwB". The epitome of perfect balanced friendship.

Also she and he can become involved with others, establish relationships or even get married to others, but still maintain that "Friends with Benefits", for those dry spells between relationships, [if they so choose to].

Maybe it means they were hurt and not ready to date,

LOL..He is "Dating". He is just not "Dating" to become your boyfriend.
He may have been hurt, he may not have been hurt, either way, it certainly doesn't matter.
The point is he wants to go out with you, have sex , do other things, but he won't be your boyfriend. Can you handle that?

I would think more likely that it means the woman is setting herself up to get hurt if she dates someone that doesn't want it to proceed into anything serious.

It would if she had the IQ of a door knob. Clearly , the profile says, or he says, "Dating but nothing serious".

I realize there may be some women who would date and not develop into anything serious,

The concept of "Dating" , whether the goal is serious or not serious, always retains the risk of failure, or the gift of something more.
"Meeting" is introductions. When you move beyond that, then the interaction becomes sexual, and you are "Dating".
Definition of "Dating" , is sexual interaction, not exclusive to only one.

but I would tend to think that is less common than a man wanting to date with nothing serious.

No. As we get further into this century , we are going to see more and more women seeking temporary sexual relief, [aka: Dating , nothing serious].
And expect to see more "FwB" situations.

What are men so afraid of?

Why does this have to be about "Fear"? "Dating, nothing serious" is fun.
FwB is fun. "Dating" is fun. Getting laid is fun. Random acts of Bj's , are fun. Clandestine handjobs are fun.

Whenever a woman asks "What are men so afraid of" , this should immediately send up a red flag. Why?
Because she is in too much of a hurry. She isn't thinking.
 Ro0ki3
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 4:57:31 PM
So tara, since this seems to be a pretty vague statement that can be looked at different ways. I can guarantee you that it doesn't always mean they want to just have sex with multiple people. You will just have to ask each one what it is they are looking for.
 Ro0ki3
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 5:03:15 PM
Does everyone here think dating means having sex? You know you can date without sleeping with eachother. It is possible. Trust me, I've done it.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What does a guy mean when he says dating but nothing serious?