Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > When a guy asks for your number, what does it mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 newreality2010
Msg: 1
view profile
History
When a guy asks for your number, what does it mean?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been separated for nearly a year, and married before that.

But I went to a social tonight where two guys asked for my number. The first guy, was at the beginning of the night. Said something about going for coffee, and got my number.
The second guy, we spent a good amount of time talking, I was tired of being out and wanted to go home, so he left as well. He asked me for my number, asked if it was ok to call, and mentioned something about yoga (which I vetoed, due to odd positions and what not) and he decided on dinner. But he got my number.

I have NOT been in the dating world for long. I'm not totally into either of these guys, but I was wondering...if a guy asked for my number, while we are out, what are the chances he will call?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
When a guy asks for your number, what does it mean?
Posted: 8/6/2011 11:39:37 PM

I'm not totally into either of these guys, but I was wondering...if a guy asked for my number, while we are out, what are the chances he will call?

About the same chance he feels that you will sleep with him on the first date.. Soo what signals did you give him by touching, holding his gaze and his arm?
 SleepyMcGee
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2011 11:52:26 PM
They think you're attractive and/or interesting and/or fun to talk to and want to continue doing so at a later date. Not rocket science darling
 newreality2010
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2011 11:53:42 PM
LOL, thanks!!

He first walked me to my car, got my number etc etc. So you are sayng, if he doesnt think I will sleep with him on the first date, he won't call?

That is sort of lame, but at the same time, saves me some time and trouble, doesn't it??

I didn't touch him, and although I looked at him while he spoke, I wouldn't say I held his gaze or his arm. So I guess this is a No-Go.

When did being single become so compicated?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/6/2011 11:59:20 PM

It never was easy.. Emotional connection with someone new is challenging for most everyone..
I was exaggerating a bit about guys only call if they feel they can sleep with you on the first date..
If they have 5 phone numbers they gathered at that bar, who do YOU think they will call first?
 newreality2010
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 12:05:07 AM
I guess, in that case, I don't want to be the one they call first.
I know you gave me the rolley eyes...
I'd rather never be called, than be called because they thought I was the MOST likely person they might get to sleep with.
That's what my fwb is for...
I want to be the person they only wish they could sleep with (you know, they call me, date me, see how it goes etc etc)
 Helen0426
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/7/2011 12:10:41 AM
You have a fwb?

When a guy asks for your number, it means he wants to call you, plain and simple. He may or may not follow through, but at the time he asked, he thought that he would call.

He might feel quite differently if he knew you had a fwb thing going on.
 newreality2010
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 12:23:04 AM
Of course he would, which is why I didn't mention it.
And why would I?? An FWB (and at this rate, he's been downgraded to the BC)
He is simply there, so that when I feel totally seducted and enamoured with my new date, I can say "no, it's getting late"
And if he pressures me or anything, for more than what I want, I know in the back of my head, I have my FWB. I can say "I'm sorry, I really need to get back"
I don't feel bad, for putting off my date, because I KNOW, if I really need physical redempttion, the fwb is there.
It's sort of an insurance polocy...It's not that the FWB is a regular occurance...it's just the thing that is there, in case my hormones get the better of me!
 Write Time
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 1:39:43 AM
Chances have to be better than 50-50 that the guys will call. Bigger question: What are the chances you'll go out with them? Not exactly starting out strong if you're already saying you're not especially into them.

My advice: Save your phone number for the guys who *do* interest you.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/7/2011 1:48:11 AM

He (FWB) is simply there, so that when I feel totally seducted and enamoured with my new date, I can say "no, it's getting late"
And if he pressures me or anything, for more than what I want, I know in the back of my head, I have my FWB. I can say "I'm sorry, I really need to get back"
I don't feel bad, for putting off my date, because I KNOW, if I really need physical redempttion, the fwb is there.

So why bother dating? If things progress with a "date", do you think you'd give up the FWB?
 Kitten189
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/7/2011 3:01:50 AM

I'm not totally into either of these guys

Op,im really wondering why you gave out your number to TWO guys you're not "into"?

*I* would be dreading getting a call from any guy i wasn't interested in.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/7/2011 3:31:45 AM
if a guy asked for my number, while we are out, what are the chances he will call?

i don't know; it depends on how much he wants a tuna sammich?

So you are sayng, if he doesnt think I will sleep with him on the first date, he won't call? That is sort of lame,

no, your questions are sort of lame.

when did you start making it so complicated?

I want to be the person they only wish they could sleep with

good luck with that princess. remember to string these guys along when they start calling you. you know the drill.
 abelian
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/7/2011 3:31:45 AM
I'd rather never be called, than be called because they thought I was the MOST likely person they might get to sleep with.
That's what my fwb is for...

Seriously - you have an fwb and you're expecting to date guys and not have sex with them? If I would have dated anyone with an fwb, sex would be the only reason I'd date her. Anything more would have been forever out of the question.

I want to be the person they only wish they could sleep with (you know, they call me, date me, see how it goes etc etc)

That seems really screwed up. I can't imagine a guy wanting to date you for anything but sex given the circumstances you under which you would be dating him.

When you decided to date guys and have them take you out like a regular date while having sex with an fwb rather than the guys who are taking you out. It's really not so complicated for the rest of us.
 Becks42
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/7/2011 3:43:39 AM
Hi new to forums, well wouldn't let me in before lol had to wait my turn lol

Do you want my number? Number is given out by a guy on here saying call me.....those that do are after one thing only SEX, oh another chats to you and you get interested in them. Are we still strangers at this point? I guess so but you give him your number to have him text you that he wants sex that very same night! Hey you liked him but how many has he got in his little black cell phone?
I question your integrity to make an assumption based on a few mins of chat and give out your personal details.
What is the rule of safety? Never give out any of your details to people you do not know!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/7/2011 3:51:48 AM
chances he will call - its a binary decision - either he will or he wont.
you can stack the propensity for probability of success, but in a world where there are only two choices, the mitigated outcome of success weighs just as pedantic as failure.
and by the buzz on the forums, dont expect anything before 3 days - apparently there is a memo out there that anything 'earlier' is needy, desperate, clingy and borderline sociopath.

Can I have your number ?
Sure, lets go to lunch on thursday.

never give without the get in initial opening negotiations = sales 101
 mrmisterme
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 5:07:52 AM
When I was in my 20s, some of the guys had competitions, and getting the most phone numbers from a dance was one of them.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 5:17:31 AM

I have NOT been in the dating world for long. I'm not totally into either of these guys, but I was wondering...if a guy asked for my number, while we are out, what are the chances he will call?

Then why did you give them your number?

And why did you even start this thread?

Nothing has changed that much in dating..you get/give a number so that you can call and talk to one another, set up dates. Did you think something had changed and there was a central dating agency, that tells you who to go out with and where to go? Geezz..

What are the chances they will call?..these two?..the ones you are not into?
Who cares. Or, are you worried about someone you may like..won't call you?
 FunOutdoorsy
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/7/2011 6:22:28 AM
when a guy asks for your number it means that he has absolutely no interest in you at all. It's just an easy way to end conversations that ensures she will leave us alone the rest of the night. In fact, typically, we go home and block that number just on the off chance you find a way to call. In extreme case we tell all our friends and encourage them to block the number too.

(sarcasm included :) )
 GWSmith
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 7:16:53 AM
92% of the time it means they want to contact you later. Only give them a number if you want them to have that chance.
 Revilors
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/7/2011 8:33:52 AM

The second guy, we spent a good amount of time talking

I'm not totally into either of these guys

It means we are probably going to call you because you pretended to be interested in us. Then...after you don't answer our calls, stand us up or respond to messages...we will figure it out.

In the mean time...you will start a thread asking why guys don't get the "hint".

Being single is complicated...because of confusing people such as yourself.
 Smiley_mcgee
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/7/2011 8:44:37 AM

what are the chances he will call?

50/50
He either will, or he won't.

Not really enough information to make any other statistical guesstimate.

Well maybe 80% won't call 20% will, because if you aren't really into them, attracted, and/or interested then you probably made that clear indirectly. Most guys can pick that up.
And they might have simply asked for your number because it's part of the expected routine.
Like next time don't say goodbye or anything to end a phone call, just hang up. To most people that feels weird, so they are compelled to say "bye" or "see ya later" or "see you then" or whatever. If you aren't interested and it shows most guys will be compelled to follow through with the routine, and will feel weird if they go off script.

When people's lives in all other areas became so easy. Since you can't really rely on technology to eliminate most of the thought and work, or stores to consolidate and sell relationships, you can't get one at IKEA that you just assemble and throw away when done with it, then it feels complicated.
It hasn't become more complicated, it's the same, just the rest of your life is actually less complicated...
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/7/2011 9:25:57 AM
So you are sayng, if he doesnt think I will sleep with him on the first date, he won't call?

That is sort of lame, but at the same time, saves me some time and trouble, doesn't it??
OMG....don't listen to everyone here. You need to pick and choose which opinions make sense and sound valid. I know, from personal experience, if a man asks if he can call you, it does NOT mean he expects you to go to bed with him on the first date. That may be what it means to some men (a limited number of them imo); it does not mean that's what all men are thinking. Be selective about the men you chat with and give your number to.

And then I read this.....

Of course he would, which is why I didn't mention it.
And why would I?? An FWB (and at this rate, he's been downgraded to the BC)
He is simply there, so that when I feel totally seducted and enamoured with my new date, I can say "no, it's getting late"
It's sort of an insurance polocy...It's not that the FWB is a regular occurance...it's just the thing that is there, in case my hormones get the better of me
Ick. What a class act.
 newreality2010
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 10:58:39 AM
I was just kidding about the second part....
 _FromMars_
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 11:15:48 AM
Who knows...it's 50/50 if they will call or not.

But it's pretty obvious why, isn't it? They found you interesting, and want to get to know you. Either that or they simply want to get laid. I guess there's a small chance they just want to be friends, but unlikely. It didn't seem like that kind of situation.

You obviously made them think you're interested, so they gave it a shot. I'd suggest NOT giving your number out to someone you're not interested in. That tends to give out mixed signals, ya know. And I'm sure you complain if you get mixed signals yourself.

Why do you care how likely it is they will call? You're not interested, so is it an ego thing or something? Just asking...
 Beachgirltoo
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 6:15:24 PM
Wow, you did well, 2 guys asking for y0ur number, that's a great start. I wouldn't waste my time going out with either of these guys though if you stated you're not into either of them. Unless of course it's just a friendly outing.
A trick I always had if a guy asked for my number was, I would pin him down on the day he would call me.. (within 3-5 days) and tell them you're busy on such an such day but that Tues or Thurs (just an example) would be the better days for you. This way you're not spending your days guessing or worrying what day he's going to call you. There's a lot of anxiety in that. I had a very good success rate with that one, worked every time...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > When a guy asks for your number, what does it mean?