Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smokincigars
Msg: 1
view profile
History
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?Page 1 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
I did a thread search and learned a few things, but didn't find the specific answer to my questions.

Does nearly every woman over age 45 really love motorcycles? It seems to be a very common "like" in their profiles. Of course, only a relative few say whether they are themselves in the saddle or on the pillion. (Driver or passenger, for the uninitiated.) And quite a few specify Harley-Davidsons; I know that's the prestige brand for cruiser lovers, but it makes me wonder if they really ride or just think that's what men over 45 want them to say.

FWIW, I am a rider myself, though temporarily between bikes. I seldom see a lot of women on motorcycles around here, even fewer riding their own bikes. I'd be happy to give a lady a ride anytime, or ride along on separate bikes; I just haven't met and don't see a lot of women who have actually spent much time riding.
 GypsyEyes50
Msg: 2
(Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?
Posted: 9/2/2011 10:22:12 PM
OP...this seems to a be a somewhat regional thing. In some areas of the country (OH for example) ....yes, I hear from male friends on POF that a great many women have some mention of motorcyles (and HD specifically) in their profiles. But, around here, I actually do see a fair number of women riding them solo, or on them w/ a guy. The flip side of that is...good God, so do the men's profile go on about motorcycles, and a photo of their "baby" is nearly mandatory :)
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/2/2011 10:32:54 PM
Few women I have dated would go on my bike with me. Maybe if I pushed, they would try, and maybe enjoy it. It's not that important to me , so if there's no interest, I just let it go.
 crazy4mars
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/2/2011 10:34:18 PM
I think alot of woman like to have something wild between their legs or a guy who can fly by the seat of their pants.
With the high cost of gas I am seeing more women on bikes...I personally would like to have a trike I think it would be safer for me since I have short term attention span and find myself easily distracted. ...but...again that comes with old age
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/3/2011 12:16:00 AM
I grew up with boys and mainly men. Had to keep up with the boys a lot if I wanted to have some fun and adventure and started riding bikes when I was 8. I don't care to have my own bike now. I'd love to go for a ride on a guy's bike and hold on to his waist ( even though I can hold on to the back of the bike just fine).
That's half the fun
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/3/2011 12:36:09 AM
Mars - I don't need to burn gas to give them something wild between their legs, maybe that's why the Harley sits in the garage, but I am rarely alone.
Posted: 9/3/2011 5:40:47 AM
I don't know if every woman over age 45 really loves motorcycles, but I know I do.

It doesn't mean that I would date someone because they have a motorcycle either.

I took my course, and I was hoping to purchase one this year.
However, my client who is doing the leg work for me (because he has a better idea on what is suitable for me) is selling his house.
So I have to patiently wait until he has the time to do so.

For me it is nostalgia.
I used to love sitting on the back of my fathers motorcycle.
I would love to have that feeling again, and a motorcycle might just bring that back.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/3/2011 6:31:20 AM
but it makes me wonder if they really ride or just think that's what men over 45 want them to say.

from my observation, there are always more women sitting like a sack on the back than actually riding the thing. after all, can a gazillion and one beer bellies be wrong about the "me too" bad-azz biker boy persona?? monkey see, monkey do. so why can't women jump on the harley bandwagon too and gush.... "i love motorcycles!!". or is only genuine a.k.a. "real" if you're a man? oh but when WE do it, it's only because we think that's what you want us to say.....

i wouldn't get on the back of a motorcycle with anyone for all the money in the world.
i agree that it's a lot of fun to ride, though.
however, IMO the weather has to be just right, and the traffic has to be low.
otherwise it's just an experience that falls somewhere between tedious and unpleasant.
i used to tool around on my antique BMW on the back roads, that was fun.
harleys bore me though, plus the product is over-priced and over-rated like hell.
 Welsh474
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/3/2011 6:45:09 AM
I have "motorcycles" on my profile. I own one and have been riding for 25 years or so. I've been to the majority of Canada and half the U.S. on a motorcycle. Currently I have a harley, I like the big motor and the fact that it can be lowered to fit me as I'm not quite 5'1" and I'm a little short in the leg department. I don't care what type of bike a person rides, there are some great bikes out there and it's a "to each their own" in what they like. I am not a harley snob even though I've owned 4 of them over the last 15 years. It's an interest or hobby just like skiing or anything else. It's something I enjoy and hope to continue.

I notice many more women riding every year. This seemed to be the year of the scooter for the younger folk in my city. I spoke to a young gal outside my office one day, she was just getting on her scooter. She said she enjoyed it more than she thought she would and would like to buy a motorcycle when she finishs university. So the scooter kids may well join the full motorcycle crowd in a few years. That's great.

I don't mind jumping on the back with someone either, depending on what kind of rider they are. Nothing like the snuggle up for a hop across town. For a trip, I want my own bike.
 MagikMan59
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/3/2011 7:24:49 AM
Here in New Mexico, there are plenty of women who either have their own or love to ride with a guy that has one. Do a profile search of women in NM and you'll see what I mean.
 RomeoJo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 8:02:21 AM
I'm 64,and live in Sarasota Florida. most of the women I have met,don't ride. Florida is becoming more of a two wheel society. we ride on two wheels all year round.
I would prefer a women who will ride with me,for me it shows she is brave and has a sense of adventure. I think it's very sexxy to have a women on the back of my sports bike with her arms around me.
 bearsy
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/3/2011 10:26:52 AM
I have noticed this phenomena here in South Florida.

Personally, I don't get it.
I had motorcycling out of my system since my 20's.

I was really surprised to read that a greater percentage of fatal accidents occur with middle aged riders than younger riders. You would think that maturity and experience would make it safer for older riders. Turns out that good vision and quick reflexes count for more.

Last thing I want is to see a girlfriend or a spouse recovering for months from
a mistake that happened in seconds. I will pass on women with bikes.
 Rain587
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/3/2011 4:56:22 PM
I have been riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, and tote goats (remember those?) since I was three years old and got my first Honda at age 13. Age 18 a Yamaha 750. I had a 1985 Honda Cruiser, Honda 650, HD Buell (I refuse to call that a HD), and then in 2001 bought my first Harley Davidson FXD (Dyna Super Glide.) I rode that to Sturgis, Milwaukee's HD 100th anniversary, Ignacio, Durango, and did many Make a Wish bike runs to Sierra Summit (Rumble to the Summit), poker runs, and at Christmas time the toy run for the Salvation Army (Bakersfield.) I still see a lot of my HOG friends and it's a mix of ages with several women owning their own bikes.

I have never once dropped a bike. I've had very close calls with other drivers and one even on the back with my ex. I know taking a three day course even though I was already experienced saved my life. I still take safety classes when I have a bike (I just sold mine.) My ex husband has his Roadking here and I am allowed to use it as I want before he takes in a couple months so I do. I live at the base of an awesome windy mountain road and love to ride it.

I will get another bike someday. My ultimate bike is a Boss Hoss. I also think the Spyders are awesome.

I will not ride on the back of a bike with someone I just met. I don't know his speed, attention, show off behavior (I know a lot who do that) etc so the only thing you see in my profile is under interest is motorcycles. Nothing else.

I also have my Class A license I got in 1985. I haven't done that in 16 years but keep them up with the medical card. Doesn't mean I want to ride with truckers so I leave it out.
Posted: 9/3/2011 5:11:47 PM
I have read some of the posts here and I have not seen to many posts in defense of women riders. I have a 1992 HD sprortster with a Voyageur trike kit. I bought it last sping and have had a blast with it. Prior to this I hadn't ridden in many years. Forgot what an experience it is to ride but I do like to have control of the throttle myself!!!
Sweet dreams
 Forest_Explorer
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 5:50:28 PM
I have lived in Florida during most of my time on POF, and I have noticed the same phenomenon that bearsy mentioned. I don't know why it is so popular; I just know it isn't something I'm interested in. Rather than say something negative about motorcycles (or powerboats, or jetskis, or 4-wheelers, or.......) I simply stated that I am into passive (non-motorized) forms of recreation and left it to readers of my profile to take the hint about my philosophy regarding recreation. During the times I have been searching, I have passed by all women's profiles that mention owning a motorcycle or wanting to find a partner who rides. Selfish as it sounds, I'd prefer to date someone who likes doing the same (or similar) activities that I enjoy.
 azul14
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 6:18:03 PM

Does nearly every woman over age 45 really love motorcycles? It seems to be a very common
Then I am in the minority, and that must be why I don't get many dates... I really don't like motorcycles, and would not ride on one. I don't mind if that is a hobby of a potential date, but I don't want to ride on one....... Not interested at all...
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 6:29:46 PM
I don't know why there are so many, I haven't read your profile so I don't know where you are from. Here in Chicago there are a lot of female Harley riders, & I'm one of them. I've rode my Harley for 8 years. I've ridden w/men, clubs & women. I don't know if these ladies find it exciting to ride their own motorcycles, or are interested in trying it as a passenger. It's a fun lifestyle!
 coastalmermaid
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/3/2011 7:25:23 PM
So, maybe if I added that to my list of interests I'd get more emails?

I've never wanted one myself and would never want to be a passenger on one. I like the look of 2000lbs of steel and an airbag at 140K. I have friends who are paramedics...if there's ever an argument between a motorcycle and a vehicle...it's never the motorcycle who wins. For me there will always be a million better ways to die.
 JD4Real29
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/3/2011 9:21:26 PM
Nope, I have no desire in any bone in my body to ride on a motorcycle. Nor do I wish to date a guy who rides a motorcycle. I work in the medical field, I've seen first hand what happens to people who ride motorcycles.

I had many female friends who loved to date guys with bikes when I was living in Florida. I thought they were nuts.
 smokincigars
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 1:11:24 AM
My sincere thanks to the men and women who have responded to this thread, and thanks in advance to those who may do so in the future. I'll watch this thread, see if it grows much more, and look for additional insights.

I now think there are more women on POF who honestly like motorcycles than just say they do in order to enhance their date potential. I still wish more women would say a little more about what they mean by "I like motorcycles", but I suppose that is something I can always learn by asking them personally.

And I know I may be in a minority among men who ride, but it doesn't make a big difference to me if the lady I'm with shares my love of motorcycles ... as long as she doesn't freak out if I ride. If she does ride, or at least is interested, it might influence the type of bike I buy in the future -- especially if she is open to long road trips sitting behind me.
 Dare to
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 4:57:39 AM

I work in the medical field, I've seen first hand what happens to people who ride motorcycles.
I work in the medical field too.. I'm a paramedic. but i have owned and ridden motorcycles for approx 30 years and i have no intention of stopping anytime soon.. I don't know about other women, i can only speak for myself... I do what i love to do, and that includes riding motorcycles and horses, both of which can be considered dangerous.. If we refused to do anything that MIGHT cause us harm then we would never walk out the front door. Yes I could die riding my bike, but i could die driving my car or crossing the road too.. You just have to be very aware of what is going on around you to stay safe and not ride like an idiot..

I must say i don't like being on the back of anybody elses bike though... I see a lot a stupid people riding motorcycles, and i don't want to be one of their statistics...
 hdgal51
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/4/2011 7:30:33 AM
I ride passenger, have been for 8 years and I absolutely love riding...maybe I'll be (brave) enough to own and ride my own someday. Here in MI I see a lot of women drivers. Good for them! This seems to be a huge turn on for other male drivers. What puzzels me is I have been looking for a HD man but am having problems even getting a response from any of the ones I've messaged. Perhaps they are either invovled with another woman or they aren't really looking. I am close to giving up and calling it quits. Good luck to you!
 KAKI3152
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 8:30:22 AM
All this talk reminds me of the time I was dating an Intern at a hospital. She told me "What do you call motorcycle riders"? "Organ donors." she replied.
 Welsh474
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/4/2011 11:23:19 AM
Well, we're all going to die. My son had a seizure in the bathtub and drowned at 33, my husband had a heart attack at home at 55, my best friend's son broke his leg snow skiing and bled out at 28, my 46 year old friend died two weeks ago from complications with diabetes, my 55 year old friend is not going to make the end of the year with prostate cancer, just buried a 53 year old friend from colon cancer. We die and we can all become organ donors. I will ride my motorcycle until it's no fun anymore. The rest can stay on the sofa where it's safe - but you'll still die one day.
 hdgal51
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/4/2011 1:47:49 PM
You could add it, Coast, but hasn't worked for me. Give it a shot. You might end up meeting the right guy. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > (Older) women and motorcycles? That many, really?