Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Putting tattoos in description      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NicoleKL
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Putting tattoos in descriptionPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Is it a good idea to put whether or not you have a tattoo in the profile description? Mine can't be seen unless I show it to people, but I know it can be a turn-off for some guys so it seems fair to give them a warning.
Opinions?
(I did a search on tattoos and couldn't find anything about mentioning them in a profile or not)
 boho_bookworm
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Putting tattoos in description
Posted: 9/3/2011 7:59:38 PM
You know, I wouldn't mention it. Even though some people might not like it as a general rule, it shouldn't be a deal breaker if they like you. I'd keep it for one of the first mildly revealing things you tell about yourself:)
Posted: 9/3/2011 11:42:12 PM
I dunno, personally I find tattoos attractive. It shows me that she is strong, confident and independant. I know some ppl are opposed to the idea, but a little artwork didn't hurt anybody right?
 kinley68
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/4/2011 7:30:20 PM
Hi. bookworm is right on target here. If after a few conversations, someone has decided they like you and want to know you better, I don't think one tattoo would change their mind. It would be unreasonable of someone to accuse you of not being up-front because you didn't mention having a tattoo.
 Strandedinto
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/4/2011 7:35:01 PM
I suspect it is good etiquette to mention it.

There are some that are really put off by tattoos and better to weed them out ahead of time.

Certainly, it shouldn't matter if the person cares about you when they see them, but one never really knows how another person will react to the unexpected...example, I am considered a "nice guy" and when our office had a nurse in for flu shots, you would be amazed at the gasps my shoulder tattoos got when I had to lift my sleeve...that is work.

Do you really want a potential relationship to be shocked?

Cheers
 southmeetswest
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 7:58:11 PM
if you like your tatoo, and you like tatoos in general, i don't think it would be a bad thing to mention it. it is after all a part of you now.
plus, it will keep all those guys who have hangups about them away!

kaylee
 blueskiesandgreentrees
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/4/2011 10:44:18 PM
I don't care for women who have many tatoos or tatoos that are elaborate and distracting, but if you have one or two small ones I wouldn't mind. I think it would be ok if you waited until you message someone who seems interested in you before you talk about them.
 Necrocannibalistic
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 11:11:21 PM
I say put that you have a tat...it might get you more profile views :D
 nipoleon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 2:06:17 AM
You expect people to reveal that they smoke don't you ?
I intend to be just as unfair about tattoos as anti-smokers are about smoking.
If one makes for an instant rejection, the other can too.
Tattoos should be right up with all the other self-disclaimers.

Personally, I find it very disappointing to discover a beautiful girl who's ruined her perfect skin with a stupid tattoo.

Artwork belongs hanging on a wall not on a woman's backside.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 3:23:29 AM
i think it would be worth mentioning as some can be put off
by them.

personally a lassie with tattoos doesnt bother me and its
a good conversation topic asking about the art work and
what it signifys
(saying that home made india ink ones are a bit crappy)

and i suppose if the said tattoos are of laddies or lassies
names from previous encounters that can be a bit of a
moot point.

but i suppose a dont contact me if you have tattoos filter
or a do you have tattoos box to tick would be a wee idea

anyway good luck in th future

vlad dracul
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 4:37:41 AM
The fact that YOU think that it will put some people off of you, is a good reason to PUT IT IN your profile.

What you want your profile to do, is two things: attract people to you who you will most likely get along with, and push people away who you are most likely to be incompatible with.
Since what your concern is, is that they will get to know you, discover the tat, and then leave (thus wasting both of your time), it would be logical to mention that you have such a tat up front.

That accomplishes two good things: first, anyone who just plain doesn't want to be with people who have tattoos will know to look elsewhere, and second, YOUR mind will be put at ease such that you wont sabotage the date with your hidden worry about the future when you DO reveal the tat.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/5/2011 8:43:41 AM
Nicole, unless you have a lot of tatts, or one massive one, I don't see the need to advertise it. After all, you got the tatt for you, not others, correct?

I always view tatts as a nice little surprise you find when you finally get to the point of unwrapping that special someone for the first time.

FWIW I have a tatt to (No pun intended), I don't advertise. I got it for myself, it doesn't show, and it's nobodies business unless I want them to see it.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/5/2011 8:48:23 AM
"You expect people to reveal that they smoke don't you ?
I intend to be just as unfair about tattoos as anti-smokers are about smoking.
If one makes for an instant rejection, the other can too.
Tattoos should be right up with all the other self-disclaimers.

Personally, I find it very disappointing to discover a beautiful girl who's ruined her perfect skin with a stupid tattoo.

Artwork belongs hanging on a wall not on a woman's backside. "

Dude, do you not see the outright hypocrisy in your statement?

"Artwork belongs hanging on a wall not on a woman's backside."

And ash and smoke belong in a chimney or firepit. Imagine her disappointment!

Smoking is a nasty habit that makes you and your clothes stink, and carries the very real possibility of giving both you and anyone around you, some nasty diseases. Getting a professionally done tattoo doesn't even approach the level of risk that smoking does. Is the air somewhat clearer up there on your high horse?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:25:46 AM
Today, especially for 20 year olds, tattoos are pretty common. I couldn't imagine a young man being put off by it. It would seriously reduce his dating pool. You wouldn't feel compelled to mention that your ears are pierced.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/5/2011 11:35:50 AM
I would say it depends on what your tattoo is of..swastika on your ass, pay to play in your pubic region, a bunch of different guys names, pic of dead boyfriend or fiance, your prisoner number, your girlfriends name, etc...

I tend to agree with those who aren't fond of tattoos on women, women are beautiful, no one can draw well enough to add to their natural Beauty...

that being said I have dated some with tats, you get used to them after a while, I pretty much ignored them and concentrated on her natural beauty...
 RandomScause
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/5/2011 12:15:34 PM
Nicole, your question of putting tatoos in a description is a good question. The best way to answer it is for you to ask yourself if you would be smart to get your description tattooed. In a place where people would not see it right away.

You could stand between two parallel mirrors, with the tattoo of your description exposed, and get a photo for your profile picture of absolute infinity in its highest form of essence, for your readers and viewers.
 Miss W
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 3:18:10 PM
For certain people maybe. For me, it would be a turn-off. But then again, I'm one of those "fuddy duddies" who can't wait for the day when tats go back to the trailer park where they belong.

Forereels
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 9:34:48 PM
I think tattoos have been around quite a bit longer than trailer parks. Tatts are a cool form of expression and most of them have a story. Most people will gladly talk about them with you, so they make great icebreakers. Imo anyway!!
 SaharaM
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:56:32 PM
I agree that "it shouldn't be a dealbreaker if [he] likes you." However, as I read the posts thus far, it occurred to me that you might want to include it on your profile, but not for the reasons mentioned (unless I missed it.)

You're asking for feedback on the issue, and most (if not all) of the responders incorporate their own opinions of tattoos. People who are turned off by them generally suggest that it be a part of your profile; they don't want to "waste their time" getting to know someone without this crucial piece of information which would/might be a dealbreaker. People who either like them or are ambivalent about them indicate that it's not a necessary part of your profile because lack of knowledge of a tattoo wouldn't affect them as they develop a relationship.

All of those people (those who care and those who don't) can create their profiles as they wish, choosing their own disclosures. You should "disclose" only what is important to you, and nothing more. The only reason I think it might be prudent to have it on your profile is to prevent you from developing feelings for someone who would end up rejecting you because of a tattoo. That would be a shame.

That said, I also agree with the posters who point out that tattoos are very common, especially with people your age. It's probably quite unlikely for a man you're interested in to not be able to handle your tattoo.
 guttersharkk
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/7/2011 7:26:33 PM
It's completely your choice, but as a HUGE proprietor of tattoos - I see absolutely zero point in avoiding the issue. At some point you made a decision to make a piece of art permanent on your body; you almost seem ashamed of it.

Plain and simple, not everyone likes tattoos. I COMPLETELY disagree that they 'belong in trailer parks' as they can be legitimate forms of artistic expression and often come with brilliant stories, memories and anecdotes (although some ARE best left to the trailer park, I confess). But as someone else has already said - if you don't tell someone, he later finds out and flips his lid - he clearly isn't worth your time.

And while you don't have to show or tell EVERY John Doe about your tattoo, I think you should OWN the fact that you have one instead of worrying whether or not someone will like it. Even if he doesn't like tattoos, the fact that you're comfortable and unapologetic about having one should be enough to keep him around.

Confidence is key!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/9/2011 3:02:47 PM
Even when some guys say that they don't like tats on women, they change their minds. I once pointed out to a man whom I had not met that he said that he didn't like tats on his profile but I had them.

He said he would make an exception for me. We met and saw each other for awhile, but in the end, I could no longer make an exception for his obesity.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2011 5:22:57 PM
I don't mention mine on my profile. I do mention it before meeting, as it's on my wrist and quite visible. If someone has issues with it, oh well. To date, none that I know of have.

--Zen--
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/10/2011 5:06:38 AM
Don't be afraid of what guys like and don't like. It's part of who you are. How would you feel about a guy who is unhappy with your booby size? Same concept.
 Jazzzy
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/10/2011 5:56:54 AM
I do not have a tattoo but I do have a navel ring and most of my friends don't even know I have it. Some people enjoy piercings and tatts so they can indulge in exhibitionism and some enjoy them, just because.

I wouldn't advertise my belly ring but if you feel comfy advertising your tattoo, I say, toot your own horn! I mean really, we are all adults, if some clown has a problem with you having a little ink, he isn't worth the time of day.
 bunnyBiotch
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/11/2011 1:58:40 PM
I did put that I have tats in my profile because they are noticable in certain tops/outfits I wear. People are a lot more open minded about tatoos now than when I first got mine done, so I don't think of it as much of a "barrier" as it was years ago... I think it's all up to you about how much info you want to put in your profile. But if you're not going to disclose something, just make sure you don't **** about some one else doing it as well....
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Putting tattoos in description