Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > RED CARD FOR COKED-UP FOOTY ACE?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Carm0n
Msg: 1
RED CARD FOR COKED-UP FOOTY ACE?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Tonight’s Dispatches names a Premier League star as having tested positive for cocaine. Should he be kicked out of the game?
What about the dozens of other stars the show claimed had failed recreational drugs tests? Should the FA be more open about their drug testing?
Is it really any of our business how overpaid stars want to splash their cash?
Or should the fans who pay their wages expect better behaviour?
 Lusipher
Msg: 2
view profile
History
RED CARD FOR COKED-UP FOOTY ACE?
Posted: 9/12/2011 9:11:47 AM
They know the rules and if that's one of the drugs that's on the banned list then he's got no one to blame but himself, if he gets sanctioned for it.

However .... my personal opinion, is that if it's just recreational and isn't performance enhancing, then the FA should leave it alone.

I have no problem with the amount of money a footballer earns - if someone wanted to pay me 10, 20, 50, 100k+ a week to do my job ... would I say no? Would I fvcking boll*cks! - and how they want to spend it is up to them.

I know some people think that footballers (and other people in the public eye) have a duty to act as role models to their fans, especially younger ones .... but I don't necessarily think that's the case.

Their actions on the pitch (whilst they're in their chosen role) should be the most important thing. Once they're off it, their lives are their own
 straycat7
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/12/2011 9:20:38 AM

if it's just recreational and isn't performance enhancing, then the FA should leave it alone.

spot on.rich sportsmen.film and music stars.etc have been doing this type of thing for many years.as long as its not performance enhancing.then he shouldnt get the sack from football just to satisfy a handful of jealous and envious people who begrudge the players there massive and ridiculous wages.maybe a big fine which he could easy afford.? but not the sack.
 Lusipher
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 9:24:35 AM
A fine, I would agree with - coming from the club he plays for rather than the FA though.

Maybe (if they really feel they have to do something about it) the FA should tell his club what they've found, as I'm pretty sure the club manager would not be a happy bunny about it - and then it can be dealt with in-house.

It's not really any business of Joe Public, what these people do in their private lives - although with how well celeb mags and all that guff sell, I'm sure many people would agree and for some reason feel that they deserve/need to know what these people do, when they're out of the public eye.
 Pud78
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/12/2011 9:37:09 AM
I was going to a thread on this after watching the programme and not about the individual but the fact that I read that that a very large proportion of premiership players had not been tested at all for 2 years and that to me is big scandal with the money involved.
Every athlete was tested at Deagu at the World Athletic championships recently so how can the FA not arrange it and enforce it? The reason that training schedules change is pathetic.

Tonight’s Dispatches names a Premier League star as having tested positive for cocaine. Should he be kicked out of the game?

Two things are worth noting, one that cocaine is not on the list of performance enhancing drugs so there is no indication of cheating and the failed test was out of competition which is not covered in the anti-doping legislation and athletes aren't required to give tests at this time but the FA choose too.
This though I feel is still a serious matter and the player should not of been allowed privacy and even to the fact that he completed a mutimillion pound transfer and the buying club was supposedly unaware of the failure.
Mark Bosnich and Adrian Mutu have both tested positive for cocaine in the Premiership in recent years and both have been banned for 8 months and sacked by their clubs and in the case of Mutu was chased for breach of contract costs and I don't know the final outcome at one point he owed his previous employer £20m+ which seemed a little harsh.
Sacking, fine and long ban seem fair to me and I think should be applied regardless if during the season or out of season.
The FA have to open and they should name and shame, offer drugs rehabilatition programmes and deal with failures harshly as by doing nothing they seem to be endorsing recreational drug use.
It is no business how they splash their cash, providing it is legal and doesn't bring the game and their club into disrepute, they are ambassadors of their clubs and they demand image rights and endorsements as seperate parts to their foootball contracts and then that requires that act in a certain way and the club has a say about how they should behave.
I pay to watch a film that has Colin Farrel in it, arguably I have paid towards his wages but do I really have any say in how he behaves? The clubs have the right to expect professionalism from their players and have the power to fine, drop and release those players that step out of line and has little do with me as a fan.
 Pud78
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:01:43 AM
Two questions for Lusipher and spicer....

1)Why fine if in your opinion they have done nothing wrong?
The fact that drugs are illegal and they bought and used them implies on that basis alone that they have done something wrong. Now in your jobs how you conduct yourselves in your free time is really that important providing that you are able to do your job when you start your shift.
2)Doesn't cocaine though have an effect and what if they had a line just before they went on the pitch? Is that still ok?

The effects

Taking cocaine makes users feel on top of the world. Its effect is like the stimulant ‘amphetamines’ (speed) but is stronger and doesn't last as long. People taking it feel wide-awake, confident and on top of their game. handy for a footballer
Admittedly the effects wouldn't last long and there is no suggestion that this has or would happen but it could give a player an unfair advantage.
 _roxy_
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:08:47 AM
You can't really give a young/ish lad a shed load of money and then expect them to spend it wisely. They earn ridiculous amounts of money. Plus being a footballer isn't just an occupation, its a lifestyle.

I know nothing of football, I'm a blues fan lol
 Lusipher
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:11:14 AM
I think a fine (from the club) would be in order, because they need to be in tip-top condition to do what they're paid (very handsomely) to do + with the current regulations, whilst drinking and smoking are seen as fine, drug use isn't and the player is being a bit naive, for indulging in it - a fine would be a healthy reminder, that maybe they should be applying a bit more common sense.

I don't think they're performance enhancing, but they run the risk of not being at their best if they're taking recreational drugs and I think a manager would be well within their rights, to dock the player some of their wages/impose a fine for doing that kind of thing ... and then that's it. Dealt with in house. None of the public's business. Back to work.

I'd argue that the same mentality could be applied for players who smoke and drink, but as they're both legal pursuits ... it would be harder to "punish" a player for them (unless they're use of both was getting out of hand)

If a player took a line of coke on matchday and their manager found out ... I'd expect them to be given the boot, reardless on what the FAs stance on such things is.

That is irresponsible behaviour on matchday.
 badge73
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:28:12 AM

What about the dozens of other stars the show claimed had failed recreational drugs tests? Should the FA be more open about their drug testing?

whoever it is should be kicked out the game, already heard who it is (someone whose gone for a very high transfer). the rules are there to be obeyed, same as in any other job especially where drugs are concerned, think how many jobs have random drink and drugs tests?

they normally have short careers finished at 40 with a high amount of money in the bank, nice home and usually a nice bint on the arm, why would they want to feck it up? most likely think they are above the rules of the sport and above everybody else.

I know nothing of football, I'm a blues fan lol

never a truer word said in jest
 Pud78
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:50:38 AM
think a fine (from the club) would be in order, because they need to be in tip-top condition to do what they're paid (very handsomely) to do + with the current regulations, whilst drinking and smoking are seen as fine, drug use isn't and the player is being a bit naive, for indulging in it - a fine would be a healthy reminder, that maybe they should be applying a bit more common sense.

The maximum fine a club can impose is two weeks wages and the last player that I know off that was fined was Joey barton for speaking out on twitter, It didn't help him apply common sense as he did it again.
There is the other side to this that taking drugs is illegal and would be damaging to a players image and status that the cost to the player if it came out could be millions and that makes that to susceptible to blackmail and potentially match fixing.
Drinking and smoking is heavily frowned upon in football and I think the modern footballer mostly doesn't smokes and does drink in moderation.

I don't think they're performance enhancing, but they run the risk of not being at their best if they're taking recreational drugs and I think a manager would be well within their rights, to dock the player some of their wages/impose a fine for doing that kind of thing ... and then that's it. Dealt with in house. None of the public's business. Back to work.

Its banned, plain and simply and they know the repercussions as professional sportsmen and though you may have a relaxed view to drug taking, which isn't actually to far from my own normally, they should respect it and follow it.
They earn a lot but that includes living a clean life, strict diet, fitness programmes etc. and drug taking shouldn't be defended and dealt with properly.
I would expect fines to imposed on players that were not looking after themseles and keeping themselves fit for the next game.

already heard who it is (someone whose gone for a very high transfer

Was it Charlie Adam lol.......
Inbox me badge.....would love to know if your right before hand.......
 Lusipher
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:05:41 AM
I know it's banned and with the current rules, if it means they get a ban then they only have themselves to blame.

I'm not defending drug use in sport and think football should come more in line with other more strictly regulated sports .... in regards to performance enhancing drugs.

Where recreational drugs are used, I jsut think it's stupid that some are allowed because they're legal and others aren't because they're deemed to be illegal
 _roxy_
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:08:37 AM
Its not just sports though lusipher, I know plenty of occupations where people are subjected to random drug tests, people who earn no where near the stupids amount sports persons do.
 Lusipher
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:17:33 AM
I know it's not just sport, but because I disagree with the stance that certain drugs are acceptable and some others (which on the whole aren't better/worse than the legal ones) are not just ebcause someone has deemed them to be illegal.

Obviously, I understand the laws stance on this and whilst I and others may disagree with it, anyone choosing to disobey it will be punished - if they are caught.

So a footballer who gets caught, has been a bit stupid and can't really complain (too much) about what has happened.

If it's unacceptable to a company that people take drugs (even if it's just once in a blue moon) outside of work, but perfectly "acceptable" that people can go OTT on alcohol and cigarettes ... just because they're legal ... well, that seems wrong to me.

for the record ... I rarely drink, don't do drugs and I don't smoke - I'm not anti any of them, but I just think people hear the word drugs and out comes the classic stance of "they're wrong" or "only scum take them" and blah blah blah
 kirkstmoritz2
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:31:59 AM
It's their life, their money and their nose...as long as they don't run out on a saturday afternoon coked up to the eyeballs i couldn't care less.
 Lusipher
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:35:20 AM

Was it Charlie Adam lol.......

*groan*

that one's been flying round my fb feeds already

One of my mates thinks it's Nile Ranger, but most people think it's gonna be Andy Carroll
 Pud78
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:40:26 AM
I came up with that myself and was momentarily pleased with it....oh well.

Andy Carroll wouldm't be a shock and would explain the flak he has been getting and why he missed the game against Stoke. Speculation though doesn't help.
 straycat7
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/12/2011 12:00:04 PM

Admittedly the effects wouldn't last long and there is no suggestion that this has or would happen but it could give a player an unfair advantage

nah.i doubt it.? if a player was running around a football pitch for 90 minutes coked up out of his head.the only thing he would have is a heart attack.
 garyzac
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 12:30:46 PM
Rules are rules.

If the rules state that he should leave the profession, then he must.

If they don't.....
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 1:30:09 PM
I think that what the player does in his own time is his business. So long as it is not a sports enhancing drug, then leave him alone.

Its like when Ricky Hatton got caught on camera snorting cocaine. Taking cocaine has nothing to do with his boxing ability, but he still got a boxing ban.....he was at the end of his career but that is irrelevant.

*On a slightly different subject, a few years ago when Rio Ferdinand jumped the fence at training to avoid a drugs test (allegedly), he was banned and cost Utd the league title that season.
 widowwarbler
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/12/2011 1:43:52 PM
I think it is most certainly our business.

Top sportsmen, footballers in particular are viewed with an almost godlike awe by youngsters and must be aware that they and everything about them is aped by kids too young to know what idiots a lot of them really are.

It is up to them to set good examples to their younger fans, and the individuals who do not should be reprimanded, after all they are breaking the law.
 Lusipher
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 2:11:26 PM
@msg 20

I know that many of them have an image they wish to maintain, because of the image rights they want to get paid for. If they ruin that image, then they lose the money ... which seems fair to me.

However, whilst they have fans and are grateful for them ... wouldn't it be nice if their fans actually thought for themselves about whether they should be blindly emulating everything their idols do?

Plus, if what they did in their private life, wasn't broadcast to the public, then the only thing these kids would see and would think of emulating, would be their conduct on the pitch (which is sometimes awful, but as a footballer, I think it makes sense that they're viewed for the football they play, not the type of person they are .... same goes for actors, musicians, etc) and not what they did behind closed doors.

Maybe parents (who many kids look up to) should be forced to divulge everything they do (in private), to their sprogs ... just so their kids can really see exactly what type of person they are?
 widowwarbler
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/12/2011 2:17:26 PM
The fans I was referring to are younger fans, of a school age, I teach primary 6 children most of whom do blindly idolise footballers and wish to emulate their every move on and off the pitch.

Surely you cannot disagree that it is utterly irresponsible of them not to set an example to these young boys and girls.
 Lisbeth08
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/12/2011 2:27:22 PM
Ultimately it's up to parents to set an example to their children and teach them right from wrong, not some footballer they will in all probability never get to meet on a personal level.
 Lusipher
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 2:29:00 PM
At that age, I idolised some footballers, rugby players and sprinters (as they were sports I was seriously into) Some of them were far from angelic, yet I didn't choose to follow that path.

Many other kids of the same age will idolise these athletes and only a small number of those young fans will think about taking up the "less-positive" aspects of their lifestyle - which should say something about those kids and how they grow up, are dealt with by their parents (who arguably, should have more influence on their kids, than some celebrity)

Plus, if their private lives weren't plastered across the media, then these kids wouldn't know about the unsavoury things some of them may get up to.

It's naive of the players not to expect, stuff like this get out (especially top flight players) and in that sense it's irresponsible.

However, I still think that we have absolutely no rights to know what they do behind closed doors, if it has nothing to do with their job.

How many adults (particularly ones who work with/have kids) lead the kind of lifestyle they're advising their kids to adhere to? Are they being irresponsible, by doing stuff in private, that they don't want those kids to do?
 widowwarbler
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/12/2011 2:35:59 PM
I agree that it is up to parents to guide their children and to show them right from wrong, however where I teach a lot of the parents are little more than kids themselves who have obviously not had the benefit of good parenting and as a result are not making too good a job it themselves.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > RED CARD FOR COKED-UP FOOTY ACE?