Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sudden taste change..ODD ? Is it common?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 1
Sudden taste change..ODD ? Is it common?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I occasionally go out with the gals and dance or have 2-3 beers.
Not often, but a couple of times a month.

A couple of weeks ago we venture out and I order a "lite" beer.
I think it tastes odd, so order a lime with it. ( limes can fix most any drink).
No..... Its still disgusting to the point of nasty like a beer burp from a drunk.

So I am thinking it is warm or a bad beer.
The sweet waitress exchanges it. It IS colder but..still nasty.

So I order a different brand that is more expensive I used to like.

Its even worse.

Now I did not get sick off of beer.

I finally just ordered a club soda with lime and a shot of rum.
That was good..compared to the beer.

I don't get it.

Anyone else ever just suddenly out of the blue absolutely hate the taste of something they used to enjoy?

Is this common?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Sudden taste change..ODD ? Is it common?
Posted: 9/16/2011 2:13:04 PM
My first suspicion would be that the washing machine was broken, and the glasses were killing the beer, but I have had temporary shifts in my taste buds. Taste can be affected by what you have eaten, what you smell, by the color of the lighting, your mood, YOUR temperature. Maybe your lip gloss (if you were wearing any).

I had a mild fungal infection once, and that messed up my taste buds (among other things) just a little until I got it cured.

Since it was at a single establishment though, I would bet that there's something in how they were delivering the beer that was killing it. When you switched to mixed drinks, you bypassed the beer-delivery system.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:22:46 PM

This seems to me, to be a middle-age thing, …I never remember it happening in the "old days".

In the old days anything wet with alcohol was drinkable..at times. LOL

Boones Farm..T J Swan.. Sloe Gin..Imagine that now..

It was a MILLER product. Hmmmmmmmm

I just always LIKED beer.

I had a mild fungal infection once, and that messed up my taste buds (among other things) just a little until I got it cured.

I do know if sinuses act up..It affects taste with me and we have had a huge weather change in temp at times. esp lately..

Thinking OLD beer or like you said the delivery system maybe gave me a bad start that night and just ruined it for me .
Brand?

Hopefully just temporary..Thanks!!

I'll hic...
try again next week.
 pinkoleander
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:50:16 PM
I just voted to delete this thread Pep for self-pity. Just kidding! Yeah, sinuses can affect taste or maybe you just need to drink more expensive beer.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:53:18 PM
I'm with Igor here. I'll bet you those glasses are being washed in something Not Quite Right - you know, like if the glasses are still soapy, the beer will be flat.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:53:21 PM
I think this is something that can be googled. I also remember somebody once mentioning this as an early symptom for some cancers.

I would keep an eye on it.

You could always try warm milk with honey, if the booze doesn't appeal anymore. :)

Oh, for heaven's sake. Why am I forever condemned to write the great American novel here, when a brief remark would do?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/16/2011 4:29:23 PM

you just need to drink more expensive beer.

DAM it..You come next time..and buy us a bucket of some good stuff

I'll bet you those glasses are being washed in something Not Quite Right

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe the straw?..Cuz I was bottling it that night. Being the broad night out and all that..slummin. But Ga ross!! The club soda/rum was in a glass.

I also remember somebody once mentioning this as an early symptom for some cancers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
marleen For petes sake I'm a cootie phobe as it is..I won't be watching Contagion anytime soon..

Don't put that in my head!!!

Brain Tumor..Cancer..Cooties... fungal growths, bacteria, soapy crap water in my head...

Lordy do I need a yeast fighter now?..Get my herbs!!!
Wheres my oil of oregano and 180 proof organic mouth gargle?

Man you guys.........

I will stuck to rum..Wish the booze still came in mini bottles where I could open it myself.

Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2011 4:48:28 PM
I had pneumonia in July of this year and ... EITHER the pneumonia OR the nasty antibiotic they put me on to kill the pneumonia ... changed my taster ...

NOTHING tasted good ... the good news is that I lost a couple of pounds ...

and ... since I cook by taste ... it wasn't great! a friend came over for dinner and complained that the iced tea was gaggy sweet ... ooops ... my bad ... THANKFULLY ... my mouth is starting to work again now ...

justagrlwithacat
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/16/2011 4:53:45 PM
have you changed your eating habits at all? i have, and most everything is pleasantly enhanced but in regards to alcohol, any kind of wine that as the sharp taste to it bordering on champagne (mostly whites)..as well as most ciders and coolers, make me want to throw up. yet tastes I hated before are much nicer and enjoyable.
I hated beer before too, but i should give it a try. I'll probably still hate it, hah, but it would be interesting to see if it tastes different.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/16/2011 5:11:25 PM
Yes, I had that happen years ago but eventually can out of that taste Buggie thingy.

I will stuck to rum.

Good & I will recomend for you pepps Appleton's Rum from Jamacia mon......
 tigerdreamer
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/16/2011 5:51:18 PM
Hormone changes can change your tastes too.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2011 6:18:16 PM
This seems to be a booze thread, but what the hell, I'll toss my two cents in anyway, lol.

Anyone else ever just suddenly out of the blue absolutely hate the taste of something they used to enjoy?

Yep, being newer to the south a few years ago, I fell in love with catfish since I'd never tried it before. It was fantastic! Then I had some that I guess hadn't been prepared or cleaned properly, I know catfish are bottom-feeders and I have no problem with that, but the next couple times I tried it, it just tasted...well, gritty and with the 'dirt' taste, so it put me off catfish for well over a year. That was more wondering about the preparation than eating the actual fish itself, though.

Coffee. I used to LOOOOOVE black coffee, the stronger, the better. When I was in my late 20s though, I never drank that many overall but, I loooved my morning black coffee, and perhaps one more during the day. Then, one morning, no explanation, I couldn't keep it down. Figured it was a one time thing, tried it again next day with the same result. I went through a phase that lasted until about two years ago, where I couldn't even stand the smell of it after that beyond just a mere whiff, and while I loved it, couldn't even keep a sip down. Doctors said nope, not an allergy (and no, no babies, so it wasn't *that*, lol!)

Now I still looove my morning coffee, but I can't drink more than a small cup and have to add cream to it. But this is almost 20 years later.

And yes, I always washed my coffee cups.
 Welsh474
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/16/2011 6:47:06 PM
Geez Pepp, too bad about the beer. Taste, well, I've found the opposite. I have for the last 30 some odd years been an non drinker, it started after the kids when I found that hangovers and child rearing don't belong together - nothing like a pounding headache and a cranky 2 year old. So I rarely drink, maybe the odd beer here and there during the year - didn't like wine or hard liquor. A couple years ago I discovered a great red wine that I just love but I'm still not much above the non drinker status but at least I would feel comfortable bringing a bottle of red to a house party - my contribution. At our company golf tournament I discovered the premixed Mott's Spicey Caesars - man I love those but I will say, I've had a total of 4 all summer. So still not much of a drinker but I don't detest the taste like I used to.

Coffee, still love my coffee and the stronger the better and a little milk. I used to be able to drink a pot after supper...now, one cup in the morning and that's it. Just can't handle it. The taste for it is still there but the body can't handle it.

We change, we adapt. Pepp - you'll find a replacement for that Bud Light and hopefully when you do - he'll serve you something yummy while not wearing all that much in the way of clothes. lol
 inthroughtheoutdoor
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/16/2011 7:03:36 PM
A few years ago, it became a joke between my granddaughter and I that almost everything I cooked and served for supper, I would criticize and end up leaving on my plate because it tasted funny or downright nasty (to me). Yet this was the same food I had previously (and since resumed) enjoyed eating.

That went on for about a year or so and during that time, I also started noticing a weird sensation around my eyes, almost like there were a million little bugs crawling on my skin.

At first, I thought I was spending too much time in front of the computer and that my eyes were just tired but the crawling sensation kept getting worse and worse and I finally had to admit defeat and go see my doctor (something I loathe!) but which solved all my problems, well, not all of them but those two at least:)

My hormone level was severely out of whack and if you google formication, (from the french word fourmi = aunts - the sensation of bugs or ants crawling on your skin), a severe depletion of estrogen is one of it's cause.

My doctor also explained that like some pregnant women, some women in peri or full menopause will experience changes in tastes, including cravings and feeling nauseated at the sight, smell, taste or texture of certain foods they previously enjoyed - soon after I was (again) placed on hormone replacement therapy, my symptoms disappeared.

Although in the last few weeks, that sensation around my eyes is there...not driving me nuts yet but it's definately come back... ... anyway, sorry for the ramble and best of luck to you:)
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/16/2011 7:41:10 PM

In the old days anything wet with alcohol was drinkable..at times. LOL

your body could process things better back in the old days.

Whenever you change your body chemistry it will alter other parts of its function. Unless i am mistaken you have recently quit smoking or greatly reduced them.

You changed the chemical makeup of yourself at the cellular level. If you eat the same thing everyday over years then your body becomes adapted to ingesting it. It's day to day functions are based upon it.

It is like your body taking everything apart and splitting it up into its separate parts for use in something else.

Our body's are like a recycling station. We dump everything into it and it sorts and separates. It uses the things it needs and gets rid of the rest. If your body needs something specific then you will likely get a craving for it and it tastes good to eat it. If it is something that your body can not use due to having an excess supply of it already then it will taste bad.

If you figure out what the counter is that you can do or consume to cause a depletion of something that you wish to consume then it will change the taste of it when you do eat or drink it.

Most people do not like bland food for that reason. If the bland food is not something the body requires then it does not taste good. By adding spices like juices, butter, salts, and sugars you are effectively tricking the body into accepting it as a needed substance through your adding multiple things together.

Your taste buds respond and poof something that normally did not taste good becomes tasty simply because your body found something contained within whatever you placed in your mouth that it needed.

You said beer didn't taste good.... The next time that happens go grab a chocolate bar or some other sugar and wait 30 minutes then drink your beer. It will then taste better because your body has the excess sugars to allow the grain to be a needed substance. Sugars aid in breaking things down for usage and since you ate the candy your taste buds will accept a substance that it needs to break down.

It is nothing more than being in tune with your body and listening to it in order for you to effectively control your own body.

Just my opinions and observations... your mileage may vary
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/16/2011 9:18:48 PM

Maybe the straw?..Cuz I was bottling it that night.

If you drink beer through a straw, you need to be slapped !
I think you may just be pregnant and baby don't like the beer !
 kari135
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2011 9:24:23 PM
Did I read that right? You were drinking beer through a straw??? That sounds just plain gross! Some mixed drinks, yeah, a straw works, but never beer.

I like most beers well enough, not most American beers, though. My preference would be scotch, gin, metaxa, some wines. All for sipping straight or mixed, but almost never through a straw. blecch...
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/17/2011 1:06:52 AM
Sweetness..really not just a booze thread..
I also have had some slight change in taste in other ways..just have not been so "dramatic".
Coffee being one also. I want GOOD coffee ,but not much..I used to want it up to 3 times a day and 3-4 cups in the morning.

Now am is 1 cup..Maybe around 4 ish half a cup. Other things also.

Welsh thanks for the well wishes Maybe you know what I really need.LOL

Kari.......I drink through a straw so my mouth won't touch where the waiter has opened the bottle or glass after handling money. Us cootie- phobes do that.

coyote..I can't make babies..But I beez flattered.

Dreamer...I am on a very regimented eating lifestyle..NO SUGAR..
I consume huge amounts of spices. Cayenne, ginger..LOVE them!!!
I guess the less cig issue could affect me and it had been a while since I had a beer ..

Last gals night out I don't think we had a drink at all.

have you changed your eating habits at all?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
More eggs/ very little meat except tuna since having an organic farmer keep me in a good supply.

My only lifestyle change physically in the last few months is I work out more often and longer with weights and other things.Lost about 3 pounds.I am trying to get cut muscles.

Another change............. I absolutely crave organic peanut butter now also.
I can do a spoon "sandwich".

a severe depletion of estrogen is one of it's cause.

My doctor also explained that like some pregnant women, some women in peri or full menopause will experience changes in tastes, including cravings and feeling nauseated at the sight, smell, taste or texture of certain foods they previously enjoyed - soon after I was (again) placed on hormone replacement therapy, my symptoms disappeared.

Oh please don't say that..lol
I went through the "change" at 41 due to having an ovary removed..

If I lose more. I will be a man.
But I get it.
When pregnant I wanted tomatoes and cheese all the time.

I would have sworn that child would come out with a mariachi band along beside him..

Good & I will recomend for you pepps Appleton's Rum from Jamacia mon....

Jim it would take a year for me to drink a half pint..I expect a package

Molly ..Pneumonia is nasty..glad you have recovered!!

I won't miss beer, it was just dramatic/odd.

I appreciate everyones input and maybe get some blood work that also checks hormones..Thank yoooooooooo all.
 raxarsr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 1:09:40 AM
drinking lite beer is like kissing your sister...................you go thru the motions but it dont mean a damned thing

stick to "regular" beer

better yet......a good sour mash...coke and lime
 shyindm
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 6:05:12 AM
You can never go wrong with a little rum with your cola. Add a lime and you have a nice drink. May I also suggest you try a little Captain Morgan rum and OJ. Something different and tastes great.

ProcolHarem
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 7:04:46 AM
Good Lord woman!
I HOPE that never happens to me. But then I despise light (lite) beer anyway.

I've never liked something then not liked it, usually the other way around.
When I have a cold things taste differently.

Suck down a lot of hot sauce and make some ginger tea, drink daily then try again in a week.
NO STRAWS!!!!

I thought about the washing issue and have encountered that, but since you were "hitting the bottle", Hmmm...

Um the straw thing did strain our friendship a tad.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/17/2011 8:30:35 AM
I take tons of cayenne and ginger now..Ya want me to catch on fire?

You will forgive me..pro

I know you will.

I don't carry my own gold one anymore..looked a bit snooty
Wasn't very bendable either.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/17/2011 9:53:37 AM
I don't know about an out of the blue change, but mine certainly did after a sever accident and hospitalization.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2011 10:17:29 AM
Hey "pepper"....
You ever smoked when you had the FLU?!? Now THAT'S NASTY!
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2011 8:41:40 AM
Beer can be "bruised" by letting it get too warm in storage. I know one tavern owner who thinks beer is supposed to taste that way(!).

Also, draft beer systems need to be kept clean, and if they aren't, the taste of the beer run through them can be affected.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sudden taste change..ODD ? Is it common?