Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Chickology 101      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GothamCityBoy
Msg: 1
Chickology 101Page 1 of 1    
30 years ago, we had no internet, when a guy wanted a date he'd simply walk out to the street in front of some girls house and yell out her name.
Either her pop would come out and crack you in the chops, or she'd come out dressed and ready.

Nowaday's guys are having trouble getting a push button date....yessssh !
Truth be told, I think women prefer the old fashion personal touch of my generation.
Can you offer these young men some advice on what it takes to woo a girl in this push button era !
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 2
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 10:29:27 AM
love and attraction favors the bold and the strong.

modern technology has not changed this.

and women still love and seek out men who knows how to push their button...(singualar, yes !)
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 12:04:04 PM
Though I never saw the sort of insanity you describe as what you used to experience (where I grew up, a guy hollering outside a woman's house would get arrested), I can imagine that at the least, it would have allowed the woman to SEE who the guy was, and very probably recognize him from the neighborhood.

You can't DO that electronically, in a trustworthy way. Thus, one must use a bit more effort in the communication department.

As always, it depends on the guy, and on the gal. Some will come out ready to go when you hollar, some will send out their dad, and some will juuuuust keep going about their business.
 mrmisterme
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 12:13:29 PM
I'm glad I'm not from that guy's neighbourhood.
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 5
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 1:32:03 PM
Hmmmm, when I was a teen, I had a little social circle going on and if I liked someone and that person liked me back, you made a date to go out. It was like this with some peeps. He picked up the girl, just so that the dad, brother, uncle, and male cousins could meet him and make him feel uncomfortable. Trust me, when they "chilled out" at my house, they chilled out-----me on one side of the couch and him on the other side. Lol, those were the good old days, when a guy would get a beat down if he got fresh with a girl by all the men in the family.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 4:04:46 PM
Chickology 101?

Back in ancient times when I was a teen the guy either asked at school, on the bus or over the phone. As we got older there were the fix ups by friends, meeting at parties , other social gatherings and bars.

Online would be ok, but too many people are in a big hurry to meet someone - anyone - they think looks good to them. The quantity confuses people. It seems that with more to chose from things would be easier, but what they're finding is "quantity rejecion".

Now onto my usual rant: Too many people seem to think online dating is just like catalog shopping - Search, find, order and it's delivered. What they are ignoring and/or forgetting is that people are not products. People online are... surprise... people.
 daynadaze
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 4:05:52 PM
You know the times you grow up in, everything is new to each generation. I never lived anywhere where a guy would yell at your house. Now there were a few who honked, once, then my dad would show up, once with a gun, but that never happened more than once with any guy and not that often to begin with, but it was after him having asked you out, set a time and came to get you, no one ever just honked outside my house and waited for me to come out...who would have come out? That's pretty rude and insulting.
 Irish_Girl36
Msg: 8
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 4:12:45 PM
How about just picking up the phone & calling??? Everyone is all about texting these days....which is fine, I myself do it alot. But it seems to be the only form of communication for some people these days. If you're "afraid" to talk to me on the phone...the forget it!
 marybooksandmusic
Msg: 9
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 8:09:28 PM
I liked OP's humorous way of describing dating in the past.

I also think when you take out the humor, you find the answer to his question. What he's saying is that in days past, young people hung around in places where the opposite sex was.

What are my ideas for them to find someone without using the computer these days? Same as it always was, and same as it is for all of us at any age: go where the people you want to meet are hanging out.

When I was in my early twenties, it was totally true to say, 'you'll never meet someone if you don't leave your house'. Nowadays, with the internet that statement isn't so clear. But it's still fun to get out of the house sometimes!
 Dorkvader27
Msg: 10
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 8:35:37 PM
IDK if women were as complex back then as they are today.

It's really amazing to me so many want a "man" that will take control. Yet they want the freedom and independence of today. You just have to some how magically know when they want the freedom and when to put your foot down. Something I have yet to master.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 11
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 8:36:15 PM
Mary, the young crowd hangs out in places at which other young folks will easily find them. Middle-aged or older folks don't 'hang out' anyplace in particular. They may attend, say, camera club or other organization meetings, but that's about all I know of.

When it comes to finding non-bar/pub gathering places, age makes a huge difference as to where the average (and average-looking) person can expect to meet other singles.
 sweet_n_heart
Msg: 12
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 9:10:25 PM
I guess yelling the girls name while standing in front of her house, worked for the most part... but like someone said, each generation is different.

These days, have to go out where you think people your age and what your looking for are at..

Internet is just another source/way to meet someone.
 4evablessed
Msg: 13
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/23/2011 9:16:06 PM
Consistency, man of your word, manners & and a sense of humor are all important in the "wooing" phase as you would call it.

LL
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 14
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 5:04:40 AM
Guys used to woo..with fast cars and showing athletic prowess or who could supply the beer or have the best parties..

We snuck out and it was pre planned . NO yelling.

Oh....................... Just go watch the movie Dazed And Confused.

Social media is killing social interaction skills..JMO
 ChrisTheCarpenter
Msg: 15
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 6:39:50 AM
What happen to the old Black Magic. Your eyes meet from across the room and dat is dat. I am a newbie ti the pof stuff and not sure I like it.
 marybooksandmusic
Msg: 16
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 8:12:59 AM
Regarding Message 11,
Glenoran1, yes I agree with you. So then perhaps for us, pof and other places like this becomes where we hang out. I hadn't looked at it exactly like that before, but it's a cool thought.
 daynadaze
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 9:11:13 AM
Back in my day calling was crude, the older generation bytched on & on about how people called instead of showing up in person, how people called instead of writing a letter, oh the horrible loss of letters when the phone came into being! Geeze louise, everyone gripes about whatever is new and of course the younger people are all about using what's new because it's their time to be modern. Can we ever stop acting like we don't have a clue about the history (real history) of people and just move forward?
 brad29483
Msg: 18
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 9:16:30 AM
Its all about your "line of bullsh@t" if you have a good one online, you do fine, if you have a good one in a club, you do fine, if you have good one on the street, YOU DO FINE!!!

If your "line of bullsh@t" sucks, then you post stupid questions in the forums.
 CuteAsianChick
Msg: 19
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/24/2011 10:30:50 AM
Tell me about it. I find it very common for today's generation in North American society to be the laziest when it comes to courtship. Where my parents come from...people date to find someone to possibly marry in the future.....not date 10 different ppl and sleep with 10 different ppl at the same time. Men also bring gifts to a girls house out of respect and meet the parents out of common courtesy and respect. My parents only dated for 6 months before they got married because that is just the way its supposed to be.

I can't speak for all women...but I am mostly old fashion and want a guy to show interest and respect by picking up the phone to say hi or see how I am doing. Showing interest in my personal life aside from sending stupid juvenille messages on here aside from " hey you're hot!". Being yourself instead of talking about what kind of car you drive or that you just bought a house shows you're overcompensationg for averageness. All in all, I just want a guy to be HIMSELF. I can't stand men who text when first contacting me. To me it shows lazinss and it is very impersonal. If you wanna stand out from most younger men...pick up the phone and say hi to a woman....ladies like this!
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/25/2011 2:05:29 PM
If anyone stood in front of my house and yelled my name Dad would most likely go outside with either a bat or a shotgun while teaching the young man the proper way to introduce himself. As in, walk up to the door, ring the bell and learn to have it slammed in your face with glares from Dad, ahhhh youthful courtship.

Since I'm not a chick or a girl, I cannot tell you. Though I will be honest, in watching my oldest (she's 22) in dating, she's more like me, only I get to ask the uncomfortable questions (what are your intentions, when is she going to be home) and the threats - bring her home in the same condition she left in with the idle comment of my brother being a cross-country truck driver and finding bits and pieces here and there...

If a young man wants to impress he better be prepared to handle courting my daughter. That means, walk to the door, don't honk your horn outside my house, introduce yourself, shake my hand, be polite in answering my questions and if I tell you to get the eff out of my house, do it immediately. Oh, and any man who desires to date me must be prepared for the same, because she is far worse than I am and she is not afraid to be opinionated and outspoken.
 D_Fun
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Chickology 101
Posted: 9/25/2011 2:12:55 PM
problem being, in todays world people no longer communicate, in the days of men asking girls out they saw in the streets, it was the days when you could chat to a stranger in a pub without them punching you, it's very politically motived imo, but humans as a species are constantly being seperated, and tought to fear other humans!

i talk to anyone and everyone i meet... but my fear comes from the in-ability to actually make contact with another person! i am told when i do i come across very lovely! But i don't have that confidence & i never will, i'm 32 now, i've slept with alot of girls in those years (mostly because i have only had less than a handfull of relationships) but i am very affread to attempt any form of contact or to ask if i can be dirrect - i dare complement a girl though, i remember a few girls thinking i like the chase because i complemented so much, but i never tried it on! Shame they were wrong lol
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Chickology 101