Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 modivin
Msg: 1
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?Page 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I started Cross Fit last year and absolutely love it! I was in a car accident 7 years ago which caused a rotation in my right hip, leading to a glute/ham imbalance. Cross Fit has been amazing with helping in recovery, has increased my running, just to name a few things.

Question for fellow Cross Fit athletes....have you done Kipping Hand Stand Push Ups? When I moved from Chicago to Iowa, I toured a CF gym that had this part of the WOD and was absolutely amazed by it. Just curious how long it took you to work up to it.

And I also noticed and love this part...that many CF lovers are also into extreme race events like TM which I plan on doing next year along with a triathlon. My roommate told me about Goruck challenge and I was wondering if anyone has done this yet? If you have, any suggestions for training?

Thanks everyone!

PS If this is not in the right forum, please let me know.
 ZachariahTicer
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?
Posted: 10/6/2011 3:29:57 AM
I have yes! They are intense :) As are any HSPU. I did Cross Fit for a year or so. It's a fantastic collection of routines (random or not) and it's really convenient.

I wouldn't worry about the kipping part yet.

Find a wall and assume the hand stand position with its support. Be as vertical as your able to physically and comfortably. If you can do 1 Great. 2 Great. 0 Great. If you can't do 1 then just hold that position for 30secs to a min. Rest and repeat. Keep in mind it's difficulty is relative to how vertical you are (more vertical is more shoulder anyways).

When I started I could be fairly vertical, and could only do 4 HSPUs. I already had been working out my shoulders. In just a month of doing them a few times every week I tripled that... my peak (non kipping) was 30. I think you will be very surprised 1. how damn hard they are lol and 2. how quickly you will progress despite that.

HSPUs are the hallmark of my workout routines! Actually I just do those and various kinds of pushups and pullups. Every once in a while I will work legs and abs... gah.

If you want to see another crazy one look up 'Dragon Flags'.
 modivin
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/6/2011 11:06:23 AM
Nice!!! I'm working out a deal with a CF gym in the area to work there a couple hours a week which will in turn provide a free membership. CF I have found has been the one thing that has pushed me the most and that is after playing/participating in 5 sports. Some of my friends think I'm an oddball for spending money on a trainer when I was a trainer. I guess I am one of those people who thrives in a competitive and challenging environment where you have someone in your face saying NO...do it again....a$$ to the ground!! CF squats...I've realized are far far lower then what I was taught,....but I LOVE It!!

Am looking forward to being one of the people who can do 10 kipping HSPU in a row......for 5 rounds
 ZachariahTicer
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2011 9:30:39 PM
My brother and I have pitched the idea of starting a CF gym a few times (they encourage that). Maybe one day. A couple hours a week for a free membership is totally worth it. In equipment costs alone I am sure.

Funny thing is I never ever did more 'traditional' bar squats. I have only ever done the ass on the ground type squats. Granted I don't use a whole lot of weight! lol. Heard of Goblet Squats?

I am positive you will reach your goal with the kipping HSPUs. Just do sets a few times a week. That's all it will take I am sure
 RobertinStages
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/7/2011 1:54:54 AM
I'm gonna give XFit a shot starting late Fall/Winter. Had a great summer cycling and full body workouts and was turned on to this type of workout over the summer from a Crossfit athlete. I watched some games on ESPN and boy howdy!!! It looks intense. As soon as the cycling weather is gone I should be on track. Started some pullups yesterday and was a suprised that I still have it.
 modivin
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/7/2011 7:50:31 AM
@Zach..CF gyms seem to be not only very lucrative but also are becoming very popular...I noticed especially in the past year. Next week I am starting CF up again...min 5 x a week at 5 or 6am with cardio or running in the evening after class.

@Robert...I also cycle and trust me, CF is a totally different animal then a full body workout or cycling. Your muscles get worked in ways they never will with any machine or even some free weights. I have my favorites and then I have my favorites that challenge me in ways that make me happy when I'm done with the WOD. Good luck! Enjoy it!!
 RobertinStages
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/8/2011 4:40:03 AM
I kinda realized that as I listened to my friend and watched it on TV. I used to wrestle so I'm not foreign to the intesity or working all your body in ways you never thought possible. The pullups I have been practicing are reminding me EXACTLY what you are saying. WOW ... I am SORE! I'm getting ready for the HARDEST part for me.. the mental game. It's easier are me, especially at my age, to go slower than I used to, so I don't burn out before the benefit. All summer I worked out very hard with few hard goals ever. Just worked out and enjoyed with no preset goals other than to do it all summer. Results were fantastic! Soooo I'm taking my time, learning things about XFit, and practicing what I think is gonna be the hardest parts for me. Happy to say that the pullups will not be a problem. Yippee!

Thanks for posting here and I will check back often to see how you are doing with new start. GOOOD FOR YOU!!! Honestly, I think it's awsome!
 modivin
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/8/2011 10:09:57 AM
Yes...your body will have feelings of sore areas you never experienced before. I have a lot of friends who were wrestlers in high school, now older..and do Cross Fit. They love it for sure!

When I was doing it last year, it was 1-2x a day training for a triathlon. I find once you break through the mental, you can do anything. After all..its 80% mental, 20% physical. That is why I love...absolutely love Cross Fit. The instructors/trainers I work with PUSH me. I remember last year there were middle aged guys who were there for social hour and I was beating the pants off of them in most areas. As someone who is ultra competitive with myself and others....I loved it...they did not.

Enjoy the ride Robert! Feel free to drop a line. I'm not sure how long I'll keep my profile active this go since school and training will start a high intensity as of Oct 31.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/9/2011 3:15:35 AM
You are too funny! Boo hooo.. the poor babies couldn't be beat by a girl. I had older sisters. I know girls can beat boys. HA!

I was thinking it would be too good to be true.. a dating site and a Xfitter.. sorry you wont be around. :-( I'm thinking of MAYBE finding and posting on some Xfitter forums but I gotta watch how much time I allocate to it.. and dating. LOL

triathlon?? Way tooooo cool. You ROCK!
 modivin
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/9/2011 11:39:59 AM
Yea!!! I asked them what the deal was....why aren't they trying? After they left, my trainer told me to go easy on them since they are here to just hang out.....don't scare them off ...so I changed my tune the next time and was more encouraging.

Yea..I'm in the boat of needing time to put to things that matter rather then getting caught up in this environment.....which I have seen is not always positive. So, I may just stick with checking forums, more so the sports and fitness ones.

Check in to Tough Mudder, GoRuck challenge too.....those are some crazy events that really push your limits in a team environment...team more so the second one.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/9/2011 5:24:32 PM
Oh my gooooodness.. those are some extreme sites. How do we get so crazy? lmao Be nice to those "middle aged men" LOL I can't believe I have to say that. Babies!
 modivin
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/9/2011 9:29:44 PM
TOO FUNNY!!

I have since moved and the new place I'll be checking out either tomorrow or Tuesday. It is a pretty cool place too. Everyone is like family there..that is the place I may pick up a couple hours.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/10/2011 3:00:57 AM
Very cool! Keep posting and tell me what you think of it.. I belong to a regular gym and may want to look at a XFit gym down the road... if I survive what I'm doing now.. Holy Crap.. this is hard.
 modivin
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/10/2011 9:48:29 AM
I will from time to time post.

When I was living in Chicago I had a gym and went to a boxing gym that had CF there too. A lot of friends thought I was crazy for spending money on both..but I reminded them I don't smoke and barely drink so my cost for staying healthy was not much at all...if anything a positive of course!
 Playing with Madness
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/10/2011 4:30:29 PM
I just did my first class on Saturday. I thought it would be more enjoyable to be chewing on nails than doing squats. I hurt so much, words don't describe it. I would love to say I am looking forward to my next class, but with the hurt going on right now, hmmm! I have an idea though. I am thinking about chewing on tin foil when doing burpees :D That should take my mind off the pain.

I am actually looking forward to doing this for the next 6 months and seeing if it is better than the gym. I do like the idea of someone calling me a pansy and asking if my closet has dresses in it. Ugh!

Fun times!
 modivin
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/10/2011 7:16:57 PM
at Madness....

I remember when I did my first CF squats. What I was used to from the gym is not going lower then 90 degrees. Well......my trainer was my CF instructor and the first day....and the awesome thing is he and I have a firm understanding on proper form. If you don't have the right form, it doesn't count. So even though the amount was 10 per set.....the first round I lost count after 20. 7 in to it....I finally got to 1.

Ok. Good. Now do 9 more like that.

I can tell you that it will be better then the gym since you are able to challenge yourself in ways that a machine cannot and when it comes to free weights alone......same thing...not challenged quite as much. Once you get over the pain...and get past the mental crap...you will learn to love it. The results are quick as long as you stick with consistency and of course eat a nutritious diet.
 ZachariahTicer
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2011 12:45:00 AM
^^
Squats and burpees. I shudder

I love neglecting legs and building my upper body. It's not healthy but it is more funerer.

Here is the video of the Goblet Squat I was talking about:
http://youtu.be/k19eAnKHA5g
I do it with a dumbell and I think I go lower..

Her is the video of the Dragon Flag (advanced):
http://youtu.be/r--zBYAZv3E

Also I can not recommend the X Vest enough. Look into it if you have not. It is THE best weighted vest on the market. Fitted and adjustable in 1 pound increments! HSPU, pushups, pullups, squats, jogging.. many more can use the vest.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/11/2011 3:46:36 AM
That is too funny Madness!!! You understate the pain very well. And Zach nice idear .. but when and if I need more pain I think I will just go see a dentist and have them pull out a good tooth. Modivin, what is a nutritious diet? Does cigars and beer count as ANYTHING toward it??? I'm F'N sore again and it's only the first day back after a two day rest. I think we should start a XFit Whiners Thread.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/11/2011 7:51:09 AM

"CF squats.."

"CF squats" ??

sorry but huge ego-man Greg Glassman/Glasshole did NOT "invent" ATG (ass-to-grass) squats, they were around long before he was born. ..'ass to ground', 'ass to heels', check "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe & other sources

I know the man has a massive ego (to match his huge distended gut)..but really now..

BTW I know he preaches the "Paleo" diet, does he also recommend massive alcohol consumption (as he himself does) or is he just a hypocritical alkie?

can anyone tell me why so many CF'ers look fat with a pudgy gut? I mean I know some are in awesome shape but for preaching how wonderful CF is..so many look so pudgy..

work out hard but eat even harder? or?
 FlamingoKisses
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/11/2011 9:12:26 AM
^^ Took the words right out of my mouth. LOL Most are pudgy. Oh well :: sigh :: Oh, and claim to be trainers too. If people who are fat are getting paid to be trainers, perhaps I need to change my Career. I'd be rich !
 totalazzhole
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/11/2011 12:31:46 PM
^^ LOL..I think CF has a tie-in with Dunkin' Donuts & Baskin-Robbins..or locates next to them..do your training at the Dunkin' & B-R

after-workout carb/fat loading at reduced prices for CF members!
 modivin
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/11/2011 12:41:34 PM
To both of you who make a poor assumption that most CF people are pudgy is very inaccurate. I would suggest you first understand the purpose of CF and take a few classes for educational purposes before making ignorant comments. While I understand it is your right to comment negative dribble at will, my reasoning and desire behind creating this topic is to give others the ability to share their stories of CF, whether it be trying it out for the first time, never trying it out but want to, or have been doing this for some time. As well as anyone who has done CF and an extreme event as well (Tough Mudder and GoRuck challenge specifically).

If you seriously lack the education or understanding, then allow me to enlighten you so that your willingness to judge others reduces or at least stops.

Cross Fit is designed for all levels of fitness to participate. When I started last year, I was in class with a variety of fitness levels. From middle aged men/women who work in an office sitting for 8-10 hours a day.....to younger college-aged kids on home from break wanting to change up their work out routine for college sports training. So with this in mind, there will always be all levels of fitness, just like a gym. Not every single person you see in a gym is at minimal body fat. The same goes for CF. Those who are experienced and have been doing it for awhile, pudgy does not fit as a descriptive word. In my experience, MOST are NOT pudgy, most are in excellent shape.
 modivin
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/11/2011 1:03:10 PM
That is too funny Madness!!! You understate the pain very well. And Zach nice idear .. but when and if I need more pain I think I will just go see a dentist and have them pull out a good tooth. Modivin, what is a nutritious diet? Does cigars and beer count as ANYTHING toward it??? I'm F'N sore again and it's only the first day back after a two day rest. I think we should start a XFit Whiners Thread.

Great ideas with the vest!!

Man up Robert!! lol No...cigars and beer does not count unfortunately.

Send me a note off line and I'll send you a few links that will help answer your question. I know when Winter is done here, I'll be riding my bike to the gym (~10 miles one way), doing the WOD, and ride back. My roommate did that the other day and I think it was a day the WOD was very long and challenging. A couple days later and he was still sore.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/12/2011 1:48:13 AM
I dunno modivin maybe they are seeing some new Xfitters coming into the program. I can assure you folks.. once you are a XFitter .. you will not be pudgy. But definitely do not go into this thinking it's just another way to lose weight. From I see so far.. you will be able to leap tall buildings on a single bounce.. AND I'm hoping I can do that without spilling my beer!
 RobertinStages
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/12/2011 1:53:02 AM
I tried to email you modivin but the cigar police wont let me. Hey btw .. yesterday I rode 30 miles non-stop pretty fast pace. I'm hoping to get as much riding as I can before winter. RAIN TODAY ugh.. so into the gym I go to practice pullups, ball on the wall, overhead presses, burpees and whatever else my body can take. I'm so happy that I found out recently that pullups will not be a problem.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Cross Fit and Extreme event athletes?