Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > I was scammed... Here is the details.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 simplicityatbest84
Msg: 1
I was scammed... Here is the details. Page 1 of 1    
Hello,

I just wanted to warn that apparently we are fishing within an ocean of potentially fake profiles built to lure users in as I was. Locally I'm an IT admin so I averted a potential scam on myself but wanted to put the word out there.

This domain name local-dater. com Look it up in the whois databases and you'll quickly find out they are a huge base of scammers. Whois shows some information to be private or protected. However it does mention this name was registered to a address somewhere in the Bahama's.

The user quickly cancelled the account when they "thought" they had me lured in. Started sending me messages to my private email address from a zipymail.net name. Look that one up and you'll see the name servers are ns1.local.dater.com and ns2.local.dater.com

Also the user herself tried to lead me to a local-dater.co also reversing back to local-dater.com

Apparently local-dater.com is the base name which they are operating out of on the net. Than their every other names or "Masks" are running through their name servers.

Users on here refer themselves with one name. When they switch to personal emails that's when they change the name around. The user on here was iam_Eva. We switched to personal email she referred to her self as Kate Taylor.

You'er admins on here should look for users email address domains that lead over to local-dater.com and get them deleted as they are more than likely scammers with this network.

For me only thing they took is me name and personal email address.. They start spamming me it's easy to block them. They go after me any other way and than law enforcement will get involved full force.

Thanks.
 simplicityatbest84
Msg: 2
I was scammed... Here is the details.
Posted: 10/9/2011 4:20:14 PM
Report opened on these people with the IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center). A department developed by the FBI and NW3C.

Let's see how long they'll remain around.
 onthefly260
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2011 7:58:25 PM
Thank you for sharing. I too have run into scammers on this and other dating websites. It is actually funny because they all use the same story. Send pics that look like they are professionally done. They all say they live in the US, but are working in the UK. They are all "engineers" and build bridges, or huge buildings. They want an email address right away and to communicate that way. The first and only time I actually bought into this...I got skeptical but let it play out. Eventually, he said he had this great opportunity, but did not have all the funding he needed for the project. That is when my suspicions were confirmed. I reported him and he disappeared quickly. Since then, it has happened at least three more times. I immediately ask..."what do you do for a living"...answer is always the same. It is laughable now...the pictures are so fake. I was lucky I was smart enough to see what was happening. Do NOT give money to anyone on these sites.
 simplicityatbest84
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/9/2011 8:24:22 PM
Smart move!!! I to smelled something funny when I first realized things where moving to to TO quick. My story played out like this.

I get added to this girls favorite, I reply back with an email. She responds saying I'm genuine, yadda, yadda, yadda and I reply back. She responds saying guys are sending dirty pictures to her and she's leaving the site. If we wanted to keep in touch send her my email if not it's ok happy fishing.. First red flag. No body meets you than throws you away. A little hard to explain but it was a red flag. But I keep playing along.

Personal emails starting picking up pace. She talking about meeting in person. I say ok. And that's when she hits me with a response that confirmed it all. Saying how she could never be to careful, yadda, yadda.. And to verify myself. Red flags and alarms going off all over the place. Just curious I clicked the link just to see what it says. Evidence after evidence, so many things that confirms and proves 100% it's a scam.

Was just a little bummed out but got over it quick. And like you it became a story to laugh at. A technique of verification that makes no since, and a credit card to verify my age? Come on, that's just plain silly. That's when I starting checking behind the curtain who are the owners of this domain. Whois reports which basically tells who sold the name, show's the address of the owner, the name servers, etc. That's when I realized all sites I saw all lead to the same exact place.... local-dater.com. Time to bust these peoples.. Filled out a report with the government who advised a investigation is pending and notified you guys on here.

I'm glad I could help. And thank you for sharing your story too. Hopefully this keeps those reading this thread aware of what to look for. Stay safe and happy fishing to all.
 seaplusplus
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2011 1:52:54 AM
this just happened to me today, started talking to this girl, after only my second message she said she was closing her account and to send her my email. my first flag was the fact that i asked her about her tattoos( she said she had some in her profile) twice and she ignored my questions both times. i got an email from her about 4 hours later and it just screamed copy/paste scam. so i checked her email and it was a zipymail.net, i had never heard of this service before so i googled "zippymail.net" and confirmed it was a scam.

needless to say i know i thing or 2 about the internet and especially about internet scams.
 Norsewind1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2011 2:28:45 AM
Oh dear, there is one way to find out for sure ...get them to email you, dont reply but look in the properties bit of the email, copy the IP address and google the IP address, you will be amazed at what you can find out about an IP address, if it has been used for a scam or spam you can find out on the results ... even if the IP address shows no warning you will be able to find out the country of origin ... and if your new friend says they live in Scotland and IP address shows the IP is from Asia then you know there is a problem ... dont answer them, just put said email into junk and block.
Hope this helps.
 datetastic
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/7/2011 4:22:48 AM
Thanks for the tip.

Is it right that if you give someone your hotmail address they can hijack your pc or send you a trojan or whatever?
 Couple2012
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/7/2011 6:50:49 AM
you can..as long it is not your personal email you use to contact your friends and family. Make a dummy one for just spam and forums or website your register with.

they cannot hijack your computer by hotmail since hotmail server is not located on your main computer.

Trojan? of course...if you open an email by someone you dont know....and it is a exe file extension or a .bat files..those dangerous. If it is a picture....then you should be able to see the picture inside your hotmail.

Always sure you got the latest updates on your antivirus. I use nod32 and free version of spyware detector Malwarebytes.

Any other antivirus is good.....norton or mcafee as long you update it. And careful what emails you open you should be ok.
 Rhylliam
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2011 4:01:02 PM
Exact same scenario for me yesterday/today. The whole verified thing was a little ridiculous. It all just seemed too convenient & fast-moving. Basically, too good to be true!
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > I was scammed... Here is the details.