Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > What Is An Intimate Encounter? (Definition)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quetico
Msg: 1
What Is An Intimate Encounter? (Definition)Page 1 of 1    
This seems to be some sort of vague code phrase.

I think an intimate encounter; could have a encompass a vast array of meanings.

I think it could encompass anything from sex; to a private online chat about religion, finances, philosophies, etc...

Oddly I notice here that there seems to be a contradiction; people say that they don’t want an intimate encounter, but yet they list themselves as interested in dating and/or marriage. In my book dating and marriage is intimate; so some of the terminology that is being used seems absurd contradictory and seems to have some sort of vague subtle manipulative hidden meanings.

It seems as if the phrase “intimate encounter” is being used as if to imply sex; yet why are there settings and options about intimacy and sex? If the phrase “intimate encounter” is being used to imply sex; then isn’t it redundant?

Textbook definition of intimacy:
1.associated in close personal relations: an intimate friend. 2.characterized by or involving warm friendship or a personally close or familiar association or feeling: an intimate greeting. 3.very private; closely personal: one's intimate affairs. 4.characterized by or suggesting privacy or intimacy; warmly cozy: an intimate little café. 5.(of an association, knowledge, understanding, etc.) arising from close personal connection or familiar experience.

In my book friendship and romance is intimate even if there isn’t sex. Yet other people seem to have different definitions of the phrase. I’m confused by the muddy waters, and subtle varied implications and interpretations.

Could someone clear this up?

What do you consider your definition of intimate a counter as pertaining to this website?

Read here FAQ Definitions of What You're Looking For

the other
Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here ||
 MissStackhouse
Msg: 2
What Is An Intimate Encounter? (Definition)
Posted: 10/28/2011 9:44:36 AM
Intimate Encounter, on this site , means sex.

Plain and simple
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/28/2011 10:25:14 AM
Initmate Encouter = No Strings Attached Sex. Intimate Encounter makes it sound just a bit more wholesome and romantic.
 Quetico
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/28/2011 12:05:10 PM

this, or any website or chat line: See Intimate Encounter

I don't think that's a very legitimate source. I was looking for more legitimate definitions. So this website bases its definitions on street lingo? It doesn't give a definition for "intimate encounters" anyway.

So far everyone here seems to be saying that it means sex; so why not just say sex. Instead of being redundant in a way that confuses things?
 h0tsunshine
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/28/2011 12:19:21 PM
I've stumbled upon a few women putting intimate encounter down and definitely are not meaning ns sex. Guess they soon get the picture though!
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/28/2011 12:45:27 PM
so why not just say sex

For the reason I gave in my last message and if that is not clear enough for you how about political correctness. The same reason the white house has previously chosen the phrase " to erradicate with extreme prejudice" instead of the more accurate kill or murder when talking about fighing thier " enemies". I would not be surprised if this phrase was borrowed from a religous group when referring to a "holy war".
 lusher00
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/29/2011 6:30:56 PM
Keeping track of who has messaged someone looking for an intimate encounter and then preventing them from messaging someone else is really stupid.

I access this site on my phone a lot. In the meet me section I am presented with a photograph and 5 buttons. Yes, Maybe, No, View Profile and Send Message. Sometimes I select Send Message and just say hi. But if that person just so happens to have selected the "intimate encounter" option I'm suddenly not allowed to message a whole group of people?

It's a poor metric on so many levels. As was mentioned in the original post it's a vague term at best. I see in some previous posts it's defined as no strings sex on this site but unless it's plainly defined right next to the option when it's presented, who cares what you defined it as? Someone is going to select that option based upon how they define it.

I'm looking for a meaningful relationship. If I like someones profile, I don't really care what they claimed they were looking for a year ago and possibly forgot all about. I or someone else might like to learn more but you have forced people to make a choice. If I message this person there are lots of other girls I can't message anymore. Well the choice is gone for me but I don't think many people would use that particular metric if they understood it completely. You are discriminating multiple parties.

Now that I investigate further I found a profile that has...

Must not be looking for Talk/E-mail
Must not be looking for Other Relationship
Must not be looking for Friendship
Must not be looking for Intimate Encounter
Must not be looking for Activity Partner

What the heck is "Other Relationship" or "Activity Partner?" And you are going to define me based on the fact I am looking to Talk/E-mail? How else are you going to meet someone on the internet? Do you have some kind of technology that allows me to get to know someone without... TALKING???? It doesn't say that is all I'm looking for. It's like a trick question!!!

Say this out loud a few times...

"I'm not looking for friends"

Seriously? You have enough? You're no longer accepting applications? I would like to make friends with whoever I am going to date first. If we can't be friends, we don't need to be dating. Those kind of people end up on Jerry Springer, probation, in jail or dead.

I could seriously rant for hours on how poorly the whole system is set up. Can't we get some meaningful metrics? I know this isn't eHarmony but come on POF... You can do better than this.
 lusher00
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/29/2011 6:36:53 PM

Makes no difference what you think is legitimate or not - it's as good as it gets as well as what everyone has mentioned here, is the commonly accepted definition as it pertains to dating sites.

What? It has EVERYTHING to do what the individual thinks it means when he or she selects it. If you are trying to figure out what someone is looking for based on a multiple choice question, you damn well better define the choices.

But this is still different than discriminating people who have messaged certain types of users. At least someone can go change what they are looking for.

You're in the miniscule minority if you have no idea what an "intimate encounter" is, especially when it pertains to online dating. It certainly doen't mean a hand holding session, I can gurantee you that!

the other
Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here ||
 jdmanfridge
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/30/2011 5:55:19 PM
"I access this site on my phone a lot. In the meet me section I am presented with a photograph and 5 buttons. Yes, Maybe, No, View Profile and Send Message. Sometimes I select Send Message and just say hi. But if that person just so happens to have selected the "intimate encounter" option I'm suddenly not allowed to message a whole group of people? "

I'm in same boat. A girl clicked yes on meet me and now I can't message her because of the same thing. It's a completely worthless metric because me and her could maybe find something special if I was able to message her.
 Quetico
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/3/2011 6:05:33 PM
“Yes it is a trick question.”

Agreed.

I get the impression that it is a trick question/phrase, that I suspect is used manipulatively.

I think it is deliberately a vague/phrase so that people can use the phrase vaguely to make implications of sex; and or to ostracize people. I think it is deliberately vague, so it could be used selectively to manipulate people.

I think it is a type of control game.
 teri42
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/8/2011 7:12:21 PM
I just stumbled into the same issue.

I created my account today, using the iPhone App. It doesn't even SHOW the settings of "must not…" for the contact rules. I had to come to the web page to figure it out when I tried to send a message and it said I wasn't allowed to contact the man.

So, because I politely replied to a few people who contacted me, I've already ruined my brand new account because I had NO idea about the "Intimate Encounter" restriction thing. None of those people even mentioned an intimate encounter in their hello notes.

Because I have good manners, my brand new account is now blocked from being able to contact a huge number of men that seem very interesting.

This sucks.

There should be a reset button for this option, at least for the newbies. It is ridiculous that I will have to delete my new account and create another one just to remove this restriction. I will have to read everyone's profile closely before replying to any message in my inbox, so I don't break my new account by accident..

This is making my brain hurt.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2011 7:45:57 PM
^^Wow, I'm trying not to be unsympathetic to your predicament, but you've been here one day? How did you manage to find 4 intimate encounters profiles in rapid succession in one day? I thought you actually had to search for them specifically?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2011 8:38:18 PM
Actually, you can't be in violation of the rules by just replying to a message. You have to send out 4 first messages to those seeking "Intimate Encounters" to trigger the block.
 BobKnot
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/11/2011 6:35:32 PM
Apparently there are many here who think that Intimate Encounter means Dating or LTR. Doesn't make sense to me, but I often get unpleasant replies from women claiming to seek intimate encounters, implying that I am somehow bothering them or interferring with their enjoyment of POF because they are looking for LTR.

POF is such a great site .... but it could be soooo much better!
 MrPeabody_hfx
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 7:31:12 AM
And wouldn't this make the looking for..chat, email, dating, long term, friends buttons rather redundant? Good lord..
The only thing that bugs me is women looking for intimate encounters, and THEN listing everything they want in a soulmate.. Here's the thing girls need to know.. yes it works. yes I do, yes it is.. *lol* fill in the blanks
 MrPeabody_hfx
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 7:33:32 AM
activity partner is just that, a non-sexual friend of the opposite (usually on this site) sex. "Other relationship" well.. I kind of think it leans toward both having 2 catchers and no pitcher.. *wink* or vise versa...
 MrPeabody_hfx
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 11:08:19 AM
Stupid Kills.
But obviously not enough to really help.

I've been a member on here for several years. And I happen to like the site. Some of the women on here are looking for intimate encounter, but... are LOOKING for.. "more".. Like if you want a one night stand, then what does my job or travel habits have to do with anything? Does it matter how tall I am, or is how "big" more important? LOL.. you must have heard about the short pale midget who was endowed like a shetland pony? Anyway...

Sure, NOW yo have to pay for a few of the bonus goodies, but still you don't have to pay to search profiles or contact members. 420 friendly? Hell yes! If a woman is a drug user, I want to know BEFORE getting involved. I want to know what kind and how much. I further think drugs were being sold long before POF ever started up, and I highly doubt people using are wasting time on here cruising profiles to see if someone can 'hook them up'. From what I know, people that use them stick to one or two sources. BECAUSE... and I quote "You don't know what kind of shit you are getting unless you know your source"

It isn't the women who are jaded, they just recognize what they don't want faster.
Now what this all has to do with Intimate Encounter defined, I have no clue, but I couldn't let that mindless and un-thought-out rant go unchallenged.
 always_2XS
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 7:18:14 AM
i believe 2 people are looking to feel safe and wanting to have a good time phisicly mentaly and emotionaly we love sex and need to feel that we are on the same wave very respecctful of eachothers needs and take it from there xxoo
 _EmpireOfTheSun
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/29/2013 8:53:25 AM
intimate encounters means (for the purposes on being on POF) that you shouldn't waste your time talking to that person.

99% of the guys who message the IE ladies will have no success whatsoever
 always_2XS
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 8:54:44 AM
two people with an mutual agrement to respect eachothers needs and wants
 curlyboballen
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/28/2013 3:05:49 AM
i think intimate Encouter means having sex, with nsa
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > What Is An Intimate Encounter? (Definition)