Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Drive and motivation, thoughts to actions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 modivin
Msg: 1
Drive and motivation, thoughts to actionsPage 1 of 1    
"Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny." ~ Gandhi

"To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him." ~Buddha

Very few do goal setting to achieve their dreams, making them a reality. Very few wake up in a state of gratitude, listing off everything they are grateful for before starting their day or week.
In today's society, the act of blaming others for your misfortunes rather then take accountability for your actions, has been the common norm. Rather then being people of doing, the shift is being a people of not doing. Escaping reality in fantasy. Placing blame for something you are thinking and creating with your own thoughts rather then taking ownership for your actions.
I know many who fall in the whoa is me act, I was hit hard by the economy, lost my job, etc..
And? WHAT are you going to do about it? Stewing in your own waste matter is not going to solve the problem. Its like falling off the horse, the key to success is getting up and back on the horse. You fail when you stop getting back up.

The point of this post is to point out that your thoughts lead to your actions. What I would love to see is discussion around this philosophy. The mindset of seeing the world with the glass half empty, rather then seeing it as the glass overflowing. When you think in abundance, you see abundance. When you think with the mindset of scarcity, things around you will become...scarce.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
Drive and motivation, thoughts to actions
Posted: 10/30/2011 10:04:19 AM

The mindset of seeing the world with the glass half empty, rather then seeing it as the glass overflowing.

Let's hope that the icepacks don't melt and overflow our coastal cities within 10-20 years as some are predicting..

You have quoted some great minds up there.. Many people can agree in principle with their philosophy, but then mostly forget that higher outlook when they must clean their toilet and go do all the mundane daily routines of life..

With 7 Billion of us around now, the world is a much different place than those two greats would ever know..
 modivin
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/30/2011 10:07:42 AM

With 7 Billion of us around now, the world is a much different place than those two greats would ever know.

And if the population of the globe had the mindset those two had the world would be as beautiful as they saw it. Both of them saw their share of violence but their mindset still remained the same rather then feeding in to the violence, they wanted peace.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 1:34:34 PM
The only thing I'll point out, is that when you HEAR people bemoaning the difficulties they face, you are only a witness to that tiny portion of their lives.

I know that I myself have gotten up, counted my blessings starting with the fact that I AM getting up, and then at some point later in the day, when I have suffered a NUMBER of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, I let slip that I'm not as pleased about things as I'd like to be.

If someone like you happened to catch me right at that moment, you might well categorize me as "Stewing in [my] own waste matter," or "seeing the world with the glass half empty," or of failing to have done what you recommend.

If you did, you would be completely wrong.

Just something to keep in mind as you go about categorizing others.
 modivin
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/30/2011 2:42:18 PM
Who said anything about categorizing? Its a simple understanding of your attitude.

Anything in life can happen. In the end, its not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2011 4:05:15 AM
I intend neither offense, nor a refutation of the basic principles you are supporting. I am only pointing out what I did, because I have SO often run into proselytizers of the sort of thing you are describing, who have used it in a formula thus:

"If you have not and are not succeeding, it is therefore evident that you are failing to properly motivate yourself. It's your fault alone that you are not rich or handsome or pretty or in the relationship you desire, etc."

I support of course, the notion that one can do much better by having a clear plan and following it. I do NOT support that there is any magic involved with that, and nor do I support the idea that the formula can be reversed as I describe above. Too often these days, I see a movement of people who want to discard large sections of humanity, and use brave words about taking the bull by the horns and thinking positively as an excuse to do so, while refusing to admit that they are, in fact, simply being callous and selfish.
 modivin
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/31/2011 12:38:12 PM
I would say the underlying meaning behind the formula is true. I just wouldn't personally phrase it exactly that way. I look at it like this....

Who is responsible for your success in life? You are
Who will be the reason if you do not succeed in life? You will
Who will be the person to blame if you do not reach your goals? You will

When speaking of success, you can be rich but it depends on your definition of rich. You can be rich with friends; with material objects; with your health; with money. All these things are within your control and are therefore up to you to achieve.

When speaking of relationships, you can be in any relationship you desire. You just have to be mindful of your thoughts because your thoughts are what you end up receiving. Just look at all the profiles (as an example) who say I don't want this (execute laundry list of items) in a relationship or a partner. What do they attract? Exactly what they don't want.

You can do the opposite and list what you are seeking in a relationship/partner. However, having the thought of what I don't want....will still come about and attract that. I caught myself in the same pattern just lately and didn't realize I was doing it until I caught myself saying to one of my friends...I don't want a guy for a one night stand/hook up. Shortly after...I had 2 guys say some pretty off color remarks about what they would like to do with me. I laughed about it, reflected on why I was receiving those emails and I traced it back to my thoughts which I immediately checked and cleared those out. Which in turn, changed the quality of the people I heard from.
You know when people are "looking" for a husband to be? What is the first thing people say.....stop looking, stop thinking about it. What usually happens when you shift your focus? Someone comes in to your life who reflects the possibility of a long term relationship.

Make sense?
 garry1949
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2011 7:05:57 PM
I think drive and motivation are characteristics of a young heart or a young at heart heart. Managing to keep one's mental ducks in a row even during a relationship dissolution helps. Even if you want to escape because there's a crowd of people all after your blood, and you feel used, sooo used, The Show must go on. (see Leo Sayer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6gEkfwozhE)
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 6:14:56 AM
Sorry. Altogether too *much* Amway philosophy going on here for me to be comfortable. However, it does seem to work pretty well for Abraham-Hicks (well except for getting cut out of The Secret. . . .).

That said, we certainly *can* influence our own life paths. Same time, babies are born with aids, and in poverty, and to parents who can't or won't even feed them. Some are born to parents who make their own "successful" lives possible, and whom, without which, would have been pretty clearly big time failures (our last President comes to mind).

And neither Gandhi nor Buddha thought we'd make it in ONE lifetime, and were NOT talking about finding a mate, nor a good job, nor making a lot of money, or. . . .

The whole Law of Attraction shtick kind of reminds me of Werner Erhard and EST, whose rise in pop culture is now, blessedly, in decline.

Howevah, if adopting this POV makes anyone feel better, have at it.

Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/2/2011 7:38:22 AM
Well it seems modivin has watched the secret.

Considering you have stated things almost verbatim that are said within it.

Goals are important. It has always been that way. The trouble is if you are not careful they will take control of you.

I am going to tell you a secret modivin.. lol... If you take away a societies ability or even their desire to think through the choices they make means you are basically attempting to turn a thinking rationalizing being into a animal that reacts.

Reacting at your desires is the goal of teachings like that. I am not sure if you noticed or not but the majority of the speakers on that were all gay. Content like "like attracts like" and to just react to your inner desires instead of thinking through your actions are the focuses of teachings like that.

They utilized several teachings from the bible and other religious texts in an attempt to give it some validity and creditability.

The trouble is that those types of teachings are a slippery slope at best.

Teaching someone to just react and not think is an attempt to strip away the one thing that separates us from the animals. Our ability to attempt to predict our own futures by weighing possible results of our actions based on our past history.

Is that really the mentality you wish to adopt into your house?

It only makes it true, observable, and believable if you allow it to be. By allowing that type of mental focus to be your guiding parameters is true, you WILL notice a certain level of attraction simply because that is what your mind is focused on. Just because you notice it however does not mean that is your only choice. It does not mean you fabricated the universe to deliver it to you.

The choices that confront you everyday are still all there for your mind to select from. Just because a choice is noticed does not mean that it is the correct choice if it requires you to just simply react without thinking it through.

The core teachings of things like that are to just react and do what feels good to you and make things like those vision boards to focus on the things you want in life. If you understand how the mind and memory works it will shed some light on how or even why that works.

It does not have a damn thing to do with attracting it to you. You are not magically pulling the things you want to you. You are inputting the things you want into your memory by looking at them over and over. You are imprinting them with emotions by adding a longing and a desire to them. Then when you see those things in day to day life, they are surfacing in your thought life. When you combine a memory recall ability with a reaction only mentality you are setting yourself up for disaster.

They were correct about one thing.. it is not imaginary craziness. It is how the mind works but the way it is explained however is incredibly deceptive.

It turns a thinking, feeling, rationalizing human being into a reaction machine.

That means when someone has access to your vision boards and knows what will cause a reaction within you, then they can make a profit from you by quite simply locating something that you want and then since you have been mind trained to react instead of rationalize they can get you to buy it, do it, act on it very easily no matter what the consequences are.

It is correct. It has been around a long time. The only thing that is different is instead of conventional advertizing doing the imprinting of those mental images so that when you see those things in your travels then you will remember the desire you felt to have it. This type of way promotes that you display your desires for all to see. That will then allow just about anyone able to see those desires to manipulate your paths through life to take advantage of your desires.

Don't ever give up your ability to think through your choices. They are what makes you special as a human being. The minute you give up your rationalization in favor of reacting on the impulse of your desires you are transformed from a human being into just another animal to use as a tool in the game of life.

The reason you do not hear about too many people who's lives have been ruined by teachings like the ones who promote the secret is because the human brain has an amazing ability to recover from errors. It blocks them out and attempts to ignore them as a result and as such attempts to detract focus on those failures in order to overcome them.

How many of those houses bought that resulted in this housing crisis do you think were bought simply because those people reacted by thinking they magically attracted that house to them?

My Opinion is... Do not be a mindless drone traveling through your life. Be a thinking, rationalizing, commander of your life.

That is the difference between a goal and a plan. Choose a plan and not a goal. The difference is a goal has no pathway listed, just the final place you wish to be. A plan however gives you a step by step process that as a result of those steps being planned out, allows you to think them through and weigh your options and also make adjustments if the results showing up do not line up with your predictions.

Just my observations and opinions.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/2/2011 7:45:41 AM
@ OP:

When speaking of success, you can be rich but it depends on your definition of rich. You can be rich with friends; with material objects; with your health; with money. All these things are within your control and are therefore up to you to achieve.

true enough, though IMO, way too many people buy into "society's" view of wealth, meaning that material/financial wealth is the most important sort, that counts above all else. ( at least in America & much of the world).

most speak of riches in friends, then can't resist asking: 'so do you have a large motor-yacht & the latest biggest Benz, or what? " lol

"where do you live?" - address/'prestige' is so important.

"what do you do? "career/prestige is paramount

"who do you wear"? (designer name) LOL

love the quotes though -thanks!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:50:25 AM
Yes, there are egregious spheres of power and influence in our world that must be held accountable for most of us to thrive but whether this comes from a 21st century motivational speaker or a classic mind means little to me. Each and every one of us has the choice of whether to go through life as a survivor or a victim.

Resignation is human. Overcoming it is without doubt productive. Thanks for a great discussion folks.
 Johnnie1270
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/2/2011 12:43:17 PM

Who is responsible for your success in life? You are

So being born in the western world rather than say the third world has no effect?

Who will be the reason if you do not succeed in life? You will

Depends what I try to do

Who will be the person to blame if you do not reach your goals? You will/

My goal is to be king unfortunately that Prince Charles fella seems to have tried harder than me ..it is mere coincidence his mum is queen and mine is not. I am just off to blame myself for this failing...lets hope some positivity will make me king.

When speaking of relationships, you can be in any relationship you desire.

No you cant someone else needs to “desire” it too or its stalking
Buddha had few words on desire iirc.

Whilst I agree with your definition it is just not true to say all these things are in my control Whilst I can eat well exercise and do a variety of other things to improve my health this will not gurantee I am healthy for example.
There is the Buddhist story of the insects or the parable of the sower which speak of how "luck or chance " call it what you will impact on your success. Obviously positivity will help but to claim you can do ti with this alone is not accurate, sadly.
I prefer
My fate cannot be mastered; it can only be collaborated with and thereby, to some extent, directed. Nor am I the captain of my soul; I am only its noisiest passenger.
Aldous Huxley
 modivin
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/2/2011 5:25:49 PM
I'll address all of you who replied rather then individually since space and forum posts rules apply....

Quite frankly, I'm not shocked with the responses I saw and for those who had the knee jerk judgmentally reaction, let me ask you this.....are you where you want to be in your life? Do you look at your past with regret? If given the opportunity to do anything over again, would you? Do you blame others for your ability to live a happy life?

What does Amway have to do with this or is that a shameless plug? If it is, I'm not interested in buying soap or poor quality supplements. You assumed I watched the Secret. Never did. I heard about it. Read a couple chapters but these were all things I was well aware of.

For the poster who commented on western vs third world country. Have you ever been to a third world country? I have. Again, goes back to the point of idea of wealth and success. Not everyone in the world wants the materialistic nonsense that many in the Western civilization have/want. The desire for more bling is truly a Western thing.

Flick..as always, a pleasure reading your comments. Glad I could help with the quotes.

Double Cabin....wonderful!

If anything, for those who responded, never assume what someone's background is or where the knowledge comes from and then proceed to throw up information on something that has no relevance. Ask questions first. Its an easier way to communicate openly.

I just know that this "secret" which really is not, way of thinking and living has proven over and over with countless stories, you are what you attract. If you have a problem holding the mirror up in your face and seeing what you're attracting....maybe that is something for you to work on and really, it sounds like it is.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2011 7:22:16 PM
Abraham-Hicks, AKA Esther Hicks and Hubby, were in the original of The Secret (until they asked for more $, and got cut out). They were Amway distributors, and very rahrah, and the whole Amway philosophy was/is a precursor to the notion of The Law of Attraction. Always good to know one's sources.

edit: I *am* happy with who I am, and where I am, and whom I love and who loves me. Damn few things I'd change about my life.

And, yes, I have lived in a third-world country. Married a citizen of one as a matter of fact.
 modivin
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/2/2011 7:39:00 PM
Good for you!

I have a feeling that Amway did not create the philosophy of The Law of Attraction. That is a universal law that has been around before soap. I know in the 80s my parents never spoke of it and had a room full of soap.
Universal law...things I discussed with people in third world countries who have no idea what Amway is but do understand their beliefs.

But again....my sources did not come from The Secret since I never watched it.
 Johnnie1270
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:40:36 PM

For the poster who commented on western vs third world country. Have you ever been to a third world country? I have. Again, goes back to the point of idea of wealth and success. Not everyone in the world wants the materialistic nonsense that many in the Western civilization have/want. The desire for more bling is truly a Western thing.

yes I have lived/worked/volunteered there and in more than one country When i saw a stroke victime family unable to pay for anyr medicine or treatment whilst sat in their house that had only reed mats and no running water or food I remarked on how spiritually fulfilled they were watching their grandmother suffer whilst living in the idealistic nirvanic state.
I saw absolute poverty and it effects. not the inability to buy the latest apple product but unable to fee d yourself well or provide medicine for your dying grandparent/parent.
You missed the point. If they could they would all move here and almost none of us [ especially if we took no wealth and had to work as they do] would not go in the opposite direction
I agree with what you say in the west as once your physical needs are satisfied everything else is BS and ego. However place of birth /parents drastically affects whether you can achieve that basic level of survival before worrying about something spiritual or existentialist.
 Fleuron
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/6/2011 5:26:32 PM

I laughed about it, reflected on why I was receiving those emails and I traced it back to my thoughts which I immediately checked and cleared those out. Which in turn, changed the quality of the people I heard from.

Yeah…I don’t know about this.

If I think…oh, for instance...Ryan Reynolds will email me….really, really hard, will he?? (cuz I will soooo do it!!)

Seriously, I’m having a hard time believing that the reason horndogs stopped contacting you is because you stopped thinking about horndogs. I’m not picking on you…I love your quotes and agree that thoughts are powerful, but the idea that MY thoughts alone can control what others do to me, as cool as that sounds….just doesn’t seem possible.
 modivin
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/6/2011 7:34:53 PM
I understand how the thought process seems pretty far out. There are books you can look in to that go further in detail...

Dr. Wayne Dyer has a good selection as does Dr. DeMartini. Two of my favorites who I have also seen speak.

Just because something does not seem possible, does not mean it is not possible. Remember at one point, people thought the Earth was flat and if you went too far you would fall off the planet.
 nipoleon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2011 11:03:09 AM

"Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny." ~ Gandhi

I agree with this a great deal.
This a useful tool in determining character in people.

Pay close attention to the how a person speaks. The way they speak and the words they use.
How a person speaks reveals the way they think.
How they think will be how they will act.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 5:03:52 AM

I caught myself in the same pattern just lately and didn't realize I was doing it until I caught myself saying to one of my friends...I don't want a guy for a one night stand/hook up. Shortly after...I had 2 guys say some pretty off color remarks about what they would like to do with me. I laughed about it, reflected on why I was receiving those emails and I traced it back to my thoughts which I immediately checked and cleared those out. Which in turn, changed the quality of the people I heard from.
You know when people are "looking" for a husband to be? What is the first thing people say.....stop looking, stop thinking about it. What usually happens when you shift your focus? Someone comes in to your life who reflects the possibility of a long term relationship.

Make sense?

No, it doesn't, and this is exactly the sort of magical thinking I was afraid that you were getting at. I started running across it back in my high-school and college days. Back then, as I think now, it was put forward by ingenuous people with manipulative goals.

Some just wanted a piece of the huge market for pseudo-philosophy designed to comfort worried people. Most were first-level students of OTHER pseudo-philosophers, acolytes mindlessly passing on the "teachings" that they "learned." The Amway simile is very apt for that segment: step one is to get you to let go of logic, empty your mind of what you learned from real life, and substitute the Amway version of everything (or the Catholic way, or the Dianetics way, or the you-fill-in-your-favorite-guru-way). After that, you are given a set of simple procedures, and promised that the magic will always work.

You believe that by thinking NEGATIVELY about one night stands, that you CAUSED some guys to ask you for some. If "your thoughts become action," what SHOULD have happened when you thought negatively, is that guys who WERE bugging you, would have stopped.

That is the trouble with all magical thinking systems, in my experience. When they seem to work, the guru exclaims that this is proof. When they seem to fail, the guru exclaims that this is proof also, and that any perceived problem is the STUDENTS fault. Please send your next payment, and/or take your clothes off and go into his room for "private instruction."

I've seen enough of EXACTLY that in my life to steer clear of it, and to warn others away.

This sounds on the surface like basic "think positive" advice, and that much I do support. But then it crosses into exactly the sort of thing I expressed concerns about earlier, as soon as it gets into the sort of magical, blame-everyone-else-for-their-suffering sort of mind control stuff, in the way you have made more clear.

Sorry, no support for that from me, no matter how well intentioned I truly believe that YOU happen to be.
 modivin
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/10/2011 5:18:59 PM
Again with the Amway talk Igor? How about taking Amway out of it since they have no bearing on the discussion. The group is not the first one to speak of the mindset or thought process.

Its apparent you really do not grasp what it is I was explaining so instead of seeking clarity, you're putting your spin/thoughts on what I mean..which is far from the truth and point I was making.

A) there is nothing magical about being aware of your thoughts and your thoughts turning in to actions.
B) Not once did I ever say anything about blaming others for suffering. You and only you are responsible for you and your life. Blaming others is pointless.

In all honesty, I had a feeling that what I had posted would either receive an eye roll or someone pushing back on the logic behind what I was saying. Considering the population on here and the fact the majority of people complain about every thing under the sun, rather then taking accountability for their actions....the thought behind posting on here was more to provide a healthy discussion or make a point on happiness lies within yourself.....a little taste of positive mindset that may just resonate with a couple people.
 Summerrocks
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2011 5:06:27 AM
Your thoughts leading to your own actions, I agree with. Believing that only thinking positive thoughts, or taking ownership, will keep bad things from occurring to a person, no!

One’s positive thoughts would not stop a person from harming you if they so choose? There are people who are (for lack of a better word) ‘evil’, or, how about, just plan incapable of being nice. For these type of people, maybe, those are their positive thoughts! They’re taking ownership of them.

Life has its’ own design. Every person in it can affect another, negatively or positively. We’re all different. This is what makes us individuals. Plus, it’s the good & bad that build a person’s character! Imagine if everyone was positive…how boring! Negativity is needed to see the positive! Just think of the art that wouldn’t have been created! ‘Woe is me!”

The random & unexpected negatives will occur, whether one sets goals or not. Thinking 100% positive all the time, to me, sounds more like ‘wearing blinders’! And probably impossible, as well as not healthy!

Every now & then, a person should give in to those ‘not so nice’ thoughts, & feel 10 times better! It does help to ‘rant’. The expression, ‘letting of steam’ comes to mind.

Whether a person wants it or not, whether you have goals, or are driven, all life needs to be experienced to grow!
 wildandfreee
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/17/2011 12:34:11 AM
Thats a quote i dont remember where ive read that one

For i have heard that he who knows how to conserve life, when travelling on land, does
not meet the rhinocerous or the tiger, when going to a battle he is not attacked by arms and weapons, the rhinocerous can find nowhere to drive his horn, the tiger nowhere to put his claws, the weapons nowhere to thrust their blades

There are events that you cant control due to your state of mind ,i mean anyone but which is not impossible to get through, its so easy to blame and so hard to accept when things doesnt go the way you expected, without difficulty you wont know what courage is, i could keep on writing, may be later after reading others posts
nice thread modivin
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Drive and motivation, thoughts to actions