Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in carPage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Ok, I know for a fact that I am old school, but here is something I do not get. For about the 2000th time today, I watched a woman pump gas while her boyfriend sat on his butt in the passenger seat. I have also watched women go into a convience store and pick up pork rinds and mountain dew for her boyfriend sitting in the car. What is up with this? What happened to chivalry? Maybe I am just outdated at 49 but I have never sat in the car and had a woman pump gas, no matter if she was driving, or go in the store and buy me snacks. What is going on here?
 Crayola
Msg: 2
Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:19:07 PM
That's why I go to full serve gas bars!

I have never had the problem of a man sitting in the vehicle for those incidents. They've always been more than happy to take a quick run in the store, or pump the gas for me.
 antler head
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:19:43 PM
Once when I was on my way home from the hospital my GF had to drive and pump gas. I made it up to her later with some pumping of my own. You never know why a guy can't be driving or pumping gas. I'm sure if he could, he would. You do know of course that there is no reason why a woman shouldn't drive and pump gas. But I know what you mean.
 bambi75
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:19:53 PM
yeah well......my ex husband was like that.

- I would load the groceries into the trunk of the car while it was 5 below zero and snowing while he sat inside, "warming the car"

- I was carrying my daughter in one arm (in her infant carrier) and a bag of groceries in the other hand while he walked ahead of me through the parking lot. I slipped in some oil and i dropped the grocery bag, trying to keep from my daughter crashing to the ground. I was ridiculed for busting the jar of pickles.

- we would be out to dinner and he would have all of his food snarfed before i even started on mine. This was because he would not feed my daughter so i had to do it before i could eat. ( hello, we could have taken turns )

- The exhaust bracket on the car broke and because he did not like to get dirty, i had to put a new one on. I was trying to do that and he came outside, asking when i am going to make dinner because he was hungry.

For these reasons and more, he is now my ex........
 Paradoxx
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:23:12 PM
I don't get this...why can't a woman pump gas? It is not a dirty endeavor...nor does it work better when it is pumped by a man :) It's nice for a man to offer, but I would never feel slighted if he didn't.

If it was HIS car, and he ordered me pump his gas...well that's different. I would probably be laughing too hard to insert the nozzle.
 Crayola
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:26:03 PM
Wow you are all making me think I left a good man! lol

My husband would do the groceries for me, bring them in, and put them away.
Then he'd cook me a meal, then lay me down on the sofa with my blanky and pillow and massage me until I'd fall asleep. I wouldn't even have to get up for a glass of water.

Then there's all the other stuff that was really bad and unforgivable. :( sighs.

Now if I could find all of the above, but without the "unforgivable' things, I'd be in heaven. :)
 antler head
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:28:23 PM
If you laugh at his nozzle he may well have trouble inserting it.
 Paradoxx
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:32:21 PM
god did not design me to be a nozzle inserter to a man
...I would laugh at the phallic irony of it all
(I would NEVER laugh at a man's nozzle!)
 Crayola
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:34:13 PM
^^^^^I would!
 Paradoxx
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:36:15 PM
^^^ silly crayon
 gradleguy
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:37:31 PM
It's a terrible state of affairs in a world like that....granted I am a mama's boy but I go to her house at least once a week to gas up her vehicle for her and to take out her trash....I've also done the same for every girlfriend I've ever had and my ex-wife....obviously males have forgotten what it is to be a man....NOT TO SAY a woman can't do these things....but why should they have to do it...SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!!!
 antler head
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:39:37 PM
The iron phallus of the gas station pump in the firm grip of a woman driving her boyfriend. An everyday scene in the city of a million dreams.
 Paradoxx
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:45:12 PM
^^^^ What a clever moose you are!

Those men are usually slouched down with the seat reclined, now I know why.
 daisie
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:57:56 PM
Haha...you nozzle-inserters are too funny!
But seriously, its kind of ridiculous to think its a "man's job" to pump the gas and do the snack run. Come on people...if we try to get rid of some of these silly cultural expectations maybe we can make some progress to being treated and thought of more equally. BTW,It used to be shocking to see a woman wear pants or drive a truck. There are SOME things men are more suited to do, like things requiring physical strength. But for God's sake....I KNOW I can pump gas and buy pork rinds (though I NEVER would buy them...yuck!) as well as any man out there!! Now if this particular man is just a lazy, bossy slob...then that's another issue. But, we'll never know his character. Perhaps he is very "gentlemanly" in other ways. It's a two way street.
 Japhus
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/22/2005 9:59:26 PM
My best female friend just bought a new car and named it Zoie. Nobody puts a nozzle into "Zoie" except her...
 antler head
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:00:53 PM
I'd like to know where it is usual to see women not wearing their pants, that to see them in them would be shocking. It must be some kind of bottomless nudism.
 Paradoxx
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:02:25 PM
^^^ That's funny
 daisie
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:03:07 PM
what the heck are you talking about antler?
 Crayola
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:03:43 PM
gradleguy: Yeah but there were other things I'd do, like shovel the snow out of the driveway while he was all warm & cozy in the house watching movies. Drive to his work and have sex with him on his lunch break, cook turkey & bake bread, wash his dirty undies full of oil and god knows what from work.

IT all evens out in the end.
 gradleguy
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:05:03 PM
I dunno maybe its a cultural difference between the north and the south but down here if you are any kind of man at all, you pump gas for women, you open their doors, and you take out the trash. NOT because they can't because it's the respectful way to be. Or it was just the way I was raised, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I sit shotgun while whoever the woman is pumps her own gas.

@crayola--shoveling snow another job for him....cooking fine split although I'd rather cook most the time but if you want to I won't fight about it....
and sex should NEVER be viewed as a chore but I see your point
 Crayola
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:12:11 PM
gradleguy: I loved shoveling snow though! It was time to mingle with my neighbor, he was funny!
The sex wasn't a chore, the driving out of town to meet him there was! Now I have children that shovel for me haha. I don't enjoy the cold like I used to.
 daisie
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:23:43 PM
Gradleguy...I understand. It's not that you are "bad", in fact to me that you can contemplate the issue and still want to do these things as a "gentleman" shows the GOODNESS in you. But...it is cultural rules that have been passed to you from generation to generation. And along with those rules are ideas of what male roles and female roles are. And...I think a lot of that stuff is total crap!! All I'm saying is that if we want to change certain parts of culture...then a lot of other aspects must change along with it. The 2 way street thing again. Believe me...part of me would love to sit on my hiney and let some guy do all the dirty work for me....but I couldn't respect myself that way. If I'm capable and not paralyzed there is no reason why I can't do these chores. But, trust me....oh baby...I do fully expect him to feel the same way and share equally in all other chores (cooking, cleaning, etc etc). I am NOT a "50-50" fanatic...if one person has a special knack for something (cooking or yardwork etc) and he/she likes it...then sure they can do it all the time. But I just don't know anyone with a special talent for pumping gas. That's a simple task a monkey with half his brain tied behind his back can do. Obviously the "task" itself is not the big issue...the issue is what it represents. To you (if I understand correctly) it represents being a gentleman. To me it represents women being soft, incapable and spoiled. I respect where you are coming from man...I just see it as a hold to old fashioned attitudes toward a woman's right/ability to be independent. That's ugly.
 gradleguy
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:28:09 PM
I dont mean to be rowdy....it's just a bone of contention with me...these are things that were drilled into from the time I was old enough to understand them....you treat a woman like a lady....they are deserving of it until they prove themselves otherwise...that's all...like calling them ma'am which I already know aggrovate most women these days....but it's just the way it is...and all the women I know are fiercely independent...and I would never try to take that from them or belittle their status....but thank you for understanding it's just the gentlemans' way.
 daisie
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:30:41 PM
I know man...that's "culture". It is attitudes, values, etc that are taught (drilled) from one generation to the next. Sometimes they need to be updated...but while change is taking place I can still respect where (some of the) old customs came from.
 gradleguy
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:32:13 PM
ok cool.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Woman pumps the gas while boyfriend sits in car