Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > How can I set my profile to private so you have to be logged in and i      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 alexmcc78
Msg: 1
How can I set my profile to private so you have to be logged in and it doesn't appear on Google?Page 1 of 1    
If I search on Google for either:

alexmcc78 pof
alexmcc78 plenty of fish

My profile appears in Google searches near the top. Which I really dislike. It's also shockingly completely public (no login to POF required).

It's full of private information, ID thieves would love to get their hands on.

How can I set it, so you have to be a POF member and it doesn't appear in Google searches (or if it does, it's private)?

Thanks
 alexmcc78
Msg: 2
How can I set my profile to private so you have to be logged in and it doesn't appear on Google?
Posted: 11/13/2011 12:45:13 PM
My face, age, height, the city I live are on it. I cannot remove those because like you say, it's a dating site but all of it, is private information thieves would like to get their hands on.

Obviously being free, anyone is free to sign up but you'd hope they're looking for someone and that takes a human specifically registering. Computer programmes are free to read my entire profile.

That also doesn't explain why my entire profile is public? And also searchable on Google? Can you please explain that one, even taking on your points, there's no need for POF profiles to appear on Google.

Match.com hides the majority of a profile until you're a member. That way non-members can still know what they're signing up for, without people's entire profile being visible.

It's a much safer way of running a dating site. Agreed setting my profile private (at least how POF means it), isn't the right thing to do.

People lock down their Facebook profiles for this very reason, this is no different.

Please re-consider your stance on this. Thank you.
 alexmcc78
Msg: 3
How can I set my profile to private so you have to be logged in and it doesn't appear on Google?
Posted: 11/13/2011 12:50:47 PM
How can I track this thread, so I get e-mails when people reply to it? Thanks again.
 tinskmom
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/13/2011 4:05:14 PM
Thats why I don't just give out my username to someone...i google my real name it doesn't show up. Who would know me as tinskmom?
 alexmcc78
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:39:27 AM
Thanks trappedonbayst. What is the "Tracked Threads" link for then? It's at the top of each thread. It suggests you can track threads but there appears to be no way to add threads to it.

Fair point tinskmom.

If profiles are public, scanners are very capable of scanning thousands of profiles for keywords though. They've then got a database to work with. It's not a case of being melodramatic, there are people out there who sell user databases for living and then prey on the vulnerable.

If there was no real world need to lock down/hide profile details, Facebook etc... wouldn't bother adding profile details. They do this, even though plenty of people don't take ID theft seriously and leave their profiles open.
 nodakguy1983
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/15/2012 7:59:59 PM
Yes, this is ridiculous. Even OKC-upid has an option so you have to log in to see your profile. A much better idea. See a picture of someone you like? You have to register to see the rest! Now you have a new signup.

This is throwing privacy out the window.

(nice.. filter out the competition)
 funky_lampshade
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/7/2012 1:49:03 PM
Yep, this is a problem for POF.

All they have to do really is to add a mechanism whereby the referrer-URL has to also be under the pof.com domain.
This is a bit of a no-brainer really for a lot of web devs.
I'm surprised POF hasn't implemented it.

If this were a site where people swap ideas about their motorbikes for example then yes, the poster is right - don't use personal information. However personal information is the name of the game on POF. The whole point of this site is to connect people who "shop" on the basis of location, age, gender etc and a likeness.

Therefore, a certain amount of personal info is inevitable.
Since POF knows this I am surprised they don't take some minimal steps as I describe above.
Could turn out bad for them from a liability point of view if someone gets harmed.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/7/2012 1:53:47 PM

This is a bit of a no-brainer really for a lot of web devs.
I'm surprised POF hasn't implemented it.

That maybe is because you have overlooked the fact to get people to join is letting them browse the aisles to see if there is anything they are interested in having.

Without the ability to see what is available you would not get a fraction of the people joining the site.

Could turn out bad for them from a liability point of view if someone gets harmed.

Not really, as if you read the TOS for POF you will see that they accept no liability, you are on your own.
 NC-RTP-M
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/31/2012 1:08:26 PM
TOS doesnt cover once ass when it goes to court. It has no much values.
TOS is as good as fake security cameras... deters unwanted people and keeps from going after them etc.
But when times comes.. it still wont surpass local laws and basic privacy concerns.
POF is playing with fire for now..safely. Wont be too long.

Think about it. is POF much larger and smarter than Facebook?
Facebook would benefit several billions of dollar more, if they could get away with the same technique. No special exceptions for POF. POF needs to Learn from other sucessful players.
 lightstar1
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/31/2012 1:38:44 PM
^^^^^^^^^...Good luck with that one then.
As a long-time user, I have never had any hassles with my profile being 'out there', nor am I paranoid enough to forsee that situation changing anytime soon. Face it, no-ones really that interested..........

vvvvv......Chuckle icon thingy.............
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/31/2012 1:48:09 PM

Face it, no-ones really that interested..........

The married ones who are here to get a bit on the side do.
 ziplockd
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/1/2012 7:12:39 AM
Would be interesting to see a response to this thread from the site admins or mods .....
 lyingcheat
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 7:48:26 AM

Would be interesting to see a response to this thread from the site admins or mods .....

Your wish has been granted... just up the page a bit.
See post#2
and post#5
Both posts are from moderators.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > How can I set my profile to private so you have to be logged in and it doesn't appear on Google?