Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Talk of twisted people…      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 1
Talk of twisted people…Page 1 of 1    
I never heard of this story till last night after watching the documentary on The Fifth Estate…I felt chills to the bone.

It is amazing how much trust we put into meeting people from on line. This guy was posing as a woman on ‘Plenty of Fish’ luring men to an address to live out his screen plays….of murder. Ladies listen to your instincts…men too!

“It happened in Edmonton, but it's a story right out of a Hollywood thriller: An aspiring filmmaker whose role model was a TV serial killer, penned a screenplay about murders committed on film against victims cast over the internet -- and then set out to be the star of his own macabre production.

In a case of fiction becoming fact, Mark Twitchell's world of lies and fantasy unraveled into a grisly murder plot when he lured two unsuspecting men into his garage. Twitchell now stands convicted of stabbing and dismembering Johnny Altinger in Edmonton in October 2008.

In "Murder, He Wrote," the fifth estate's Bob McKeown goes inside the secret life of Alberta's "Dexter killer." Through exclusive police video and gripping first-hand accounts, McKeown tells the shocking story of a cool, calculating murderer, and the terrified victim that got away, and ultimately helped police to crack the case.”

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/murderhewrote/
 DreamyMaryAlice
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 11/21/2011 11:59:54 AM
Yikes this is so scarey, i been reading all the stories in pof, i put up one story of my own, on my profile, i added a guy from pof to my facebook, but he was always druck n mailing my chatbox saying crazy things to me, than he'd sober up and read everything he typed to me, he would say sorry, than he wouldnt chat anymore, he got druck again started posting like 20 comments onto my page, so i deleted him, but imagine if we met up, so its better to chat for a long time before meeting up, shud be in a public place too, not a secluded place where nobody is around
 ilovemymac
Msg: 3
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 11/21/2011 1:00:49 PM
I'll have to remember to change my socks. :)
 castizo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 11/23/2011 1:51:17 AM
Yeah I watched that tonight, scary stuff.
 HaloKitty
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 11/23/2011 7:32:08 PM
Dateline covered that story a while back. I remember reading about it before then, too, when it was still "fresh" news. Creeptacular.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 6
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 11/23/2011 9:13:53 PM
Thanks very much for the 'heads-up'! It's always a good idea to keep in mind that people are not always what they seem -- sometimes, to extremes.
 ddon42
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 12/15/2011 11:15:47 PM
That would make a great intro for a profile.

"Serial killer wishes to meet victims for LIFEtime commitment"
 mapleridgelady
Msg: 8
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 12/16/2011 12:59:13 AM
Straight up, I don't feel nothing towards retarded ppl like that!

Why in the world would you show up to someones house???!?! I don't care how many hours you would speak with them on the phone or how sweet they were etc.

When meeting anyone online or lets say you met someone at a bar or at a party etc., you should not being going over his / her house, instead meet in a public place definitely more than a few times, and when going out to meet these ppl, ALWAYS your good friend where you are going, whom you are meeting and once you get to your destintion, text or call your good friend and inform them of your status; status meaning if your safe or need assistance in getting outta the jam.

Anyway, lesson to be learned - NEVER MEET ANYONE WHEATHER YOU MET THEM ONLINE OR IN PERSON AT A BAR, PARTY ETC., AT THEIR RESIDENCE!!! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MEET IN A PUBLIC PLACE AND IF NEED BE, HAVE A GOOD FRIEND GO WITH YOU WATCHING OVER YOU!
PEACE!
 HIV_STRAIGHT_GUY
Msg: 9
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 12/17/2011 5:52:41 AM

That would make a great intro for a profile.

"Serial killer wishes to meet victims for LIFEtime commitment"

LOL ddon !!!
 adora71
Msg: 10
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 12/18/2011 7:21:25 PM
I agree. Funny one ddon.
 CharminC
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:01:51 AM
And here I thought of getting back into dating. EEEk!!
I think I'll stick with the forums.

*bites nails*
 AwesomeKisser
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 7/11/2012 12:43:02 PM
Those are obviously the exception rather than the rules. So I wouldn't let it put me off POF or dating.

But, as others suggested, common sense and basic rules of safety should apply. Meet in public first and get to know someone a little before inviting them to your home or going to theirs.
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 13
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 7/11/2012 5:23:26 PM
This is only one of the reasons for POF events, to see people in a public, social setting and see who they are?
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 7/11/2012 5:25:00 PM
ted bundy, willie picton, jeffrey dahmer........all picked up their victims in public.

there should be more reports on that.

k.w.
played at the palace
 pageforyou
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 7/12/2012 6:32:40 AM
"Get to know someone a little". That's ok for the majority of us on here who are harmless, but for what you are talking about here, useless. They have a very practised way of gaining trust. They rely on saying and doing ALL the right things to put you at ease and notice nothing wrong. This can often go on, this way, for at least weeks if not months!

That doesn't stop me from dating here. But it DOES ensure I don't leave a public setting for weeks if not months and meet as many people they know as possible. So many women I know say they rely on their "gut feelings" about how careful to be. I used to AND I generally do have good instincts. Not with this kind of person, no one does. They have a practised way of flying under your "gut radar". If after doing public settings for a good long while you want to take it private, I think anyone is crazy not to do a background check, especially women. Dating sites, like the internet are a magnet to the worst of humanity the world has to offer, as well as the rest of us. The difference being ... they are here for just one reason, unlike the rest of us and it's madness to deny it and do nothing to survive it. ; )
 buebird
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 7/21/2012 9:43:07 AM
yes its such a good idea to get to know people a bit...but it seems that so many guys on this site try to make you feel so bad if you tell them you would rather get to know them a bit before going to his or your place. i guess we should be tough, follow our instincts and stick to our guns. it seems that in the current dating world most guys expect intimacy very early on. i figure if they are truly interested they will wait.
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 8/2/2012 12:14:30 PM
This true story doesn't involve violence or anything like that, but it was told to me by a woman I met from POF who is a front desk person at an upscale hotel on Vancouver Island. We’ll call her Amy (not her real name). She had been corresponding online for quite some time with a single guy who lives in Vancouver, & they finally agreed he`d come over to meet her. So he takes the ferry over & shows up at her place. Not too far into the meeting, his cell phone rings, & he excuses himself into her kitchen to take the call.

Meanwhile Amy`s sitting in her living room for a LONG time waiting, while he`s having this intense phone conversation. She even got up & peeked around the corner, wondering “wtf?”. Finally he comes back into the living room, & then starts crying, lol. That had been his wife on the phone. Not only is he married, but he admits it had been HER all along corresponding online with Amy, leading her on, pretending to be him, & single. This was done with his full knowledge & complicity in the whole bizarre thing! (Why, I can’t remember).

So he goes on to explain to Amy that on the phone just then, his wife had asked him how the charade was going, & he had replied to his wife that he couldn’t continue with the deceit, because he “realized” after walking in the door & meeting Amy, that he “loved Amy”, & was now going to leave his wife for Amy (yes, a little disturbing, & bizarre...).

Needless to say, Amy quickly sent him packing... At least she got a great story to tell out of it. I was astounded!
 PinkOnBlack
Msg: 18
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 8/3/2012 7:54:12 PM
I like your response pageforyou. I meet people immediately, always in a public place. If they seem to never be available to meet correspondence is stopped.
I will remember your thoughts of following through and continued meeting in public, meeting their friends. So far I haven't met anyone I wished to have a date or second meeting with though. lol
 AddHomonym
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 8/5/2012 8:17:07 AM
I remember this story but his victims weren't invited to "his" house, they were given detailed instructions to meet "him" in his garage. This isn't a case of boy meets girl and things go terribly wrong, it's a case of a wolf in sheep's clothing tricking foolish men who are interested in doing things they shouldn't be doing.

No reasonable person could be lured to a dark garage in the dead of night to meet a stranger. All of the standard dating protocols would have protected these people from this particular predator. I'm not sure what kind of lies would be required to lure potential victims to your garage late at night but I think it's pretty safe to assume to that isn't anything good. The most obvious examples that pop into my mind include adultery and underage girls.

My only point is that something like this is easily preventable for the vast majority of people. If you have to meet your date in a garage, late at night in an industrial area...you probably shouldn't be doing it.
 graham_best
Msg: 20
Talk of twisted people…
Posted: 9/28/2012 10:09:00 PM
me too, really,I can't get people to message back and when I do, theres nolasting conversation or connection. In fourms at least I can chat with girls, which is what I want and get abit more feed back. it really takes the pressure off of trying to come up with something real good to say that can carry for a bit.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Talk of twisted people…