Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > How do you know if someone wants to chat with you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tvpllc
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How do you know if someone wants to chat with you?Page 1 of 1    
My girlfriends say if a guys name has a red dot and chat beside it that means they want to chat with you and to click on it. (I see this when I check e-mails) I thought that just ment they were available to chat and if they wanted to chat with me a conversation box would come up and they would say something to me? How does that work guys?
 FrankieSayRelax
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How do you know if someone wants to chat with you?
Posted: 12/15/2011 8:11:31 PM
Yes...the red dot means they are available to chat if you so desire. If someone wants to chat with YOU, a conversation box pops up on the screen saying they want to converse.
 c_deacon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2011 8:14:13 PM
That is if both have it on their profile that they will chat.....many of us do not, so I am not sure what color dot shows then, if any.....but really, why would one even care? If you want to know that person.....email them..............

cd................
 bucsgirl
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2011 6:56:14 AM
FYI, the chat function isn't that reliable, for many it doesn't seem to work at all. Drop them an email if there's an interest. Also, if you email there's no "I didn't say that" as it's all recorded. You can't save chat convos.
 HardRockah
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/16/2011 8:09:43 AM
I would agree with much above.. this particular site isn't suited for IMs.. messenger is.. best way is through messages. the signals become pretty clear then. no response to an email = move on.
 Silent Steel
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2011 9:49:00 AM
You will know if I want to chat when you receive a message asking to exchange numbers. The red dot and chat window pop up confusion is eliminated.
 Tim0066
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/16/2011 10:30:29 AM
If someone attempts to chat with you a popup box will come up and say "this person wants to chat with you" the little green dot next to their pic just means they are available for chatting.

The IM feature does not take into account your filters, I turned my chat on the other day to allow chats and got an IM from a woman... wasn't much of a conversationalist thats for sure.

Then I checked out her profile, and I realized the filters I had for blocking first contact didnt' apply to IM chats... so of course I shut the IM off again.

Go into your Edit Profile/Mail Settings and you can decide who can IM you... yes, no, and favorites only. Just shut it off in my opinion or you can get some really rude and disgusting IM's or contacted by people you had no interest in dating.
 Lolita_LeBron
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/16/2011 3:32:31 PM
The red dot just means that they are available to chat, and if the box doesn't come up when you are online at the same time, means he is chatting with someone else or answering other emails.

Go into your Edit Profile/Mail Settings and you can decide who can IM you... yes, no, and favorites only. Just shut it off in my opinion or you can get some really rude and disgusting IM's or contacted by people you had no interest in dating.

I shut mine off as well.
 klc1989
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/19/2011 1:58:02 PM

You can't save chat convos.
Actually you can. when I was chatting with someone on here that i found out i went to school with i noticed a "Save Chat" button on the window.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/19/2011 2:14:41 PM
what is this red DOT thing ? heard about it before.

never saw a red dot on here.

OP - if someone wants to chat with you...they'll click on the icon that says ""chat""

then you will receive a pop up ""so and so wants to chat wtih you" yes/ no
 NarcissusTemple
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/19/2011 2:42:56 PM
I think the red dot means you're pregnant.
 carptopus
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/19/2011 2:54:48 PM

Hindsight.

I think the red dot means you're pregnant.

My grandma read that, took the monitor into the bathroom, dropped it in the toilet trying to pee on it, and electrocuted herself.
Thanks for ruining christmas.

Just adding to the cap.
 Restless04
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/20/2011 8:58:37 PM
Sounds like we are playing ..red light ...green light!!!
I have been confused too...I see the word CHAT in red letters...then sometimes that goes away with just a green dot showing...I have never seen a red dot...
I assume that the RED CHAT word means they are available and the green dot means they are busy????
 fallingaway24
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/21/2011 1:22:43 PM
ok so I sent an email to someone actualy a few and a certain one now has a green "chat" link next to it and the others dont. I didn't even get an email back this is in my sent emails. ???
 YorkJD
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/21/2011 1:58:52 PM
Well if you are in a bar....they will typically have the bartender offer you a drink. Then if you accept the drink, they usually will take that as a hint that you are interested. And they will then come initiate a conversation.......
What do you mean thats not the kind of "chat" you were asking about? muahahaha
 MACALA
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/23/2011 10:08:35 AM
I thought the red dot meant they were Indian....
 grantfl80
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/23/2011 11:10:39 AM
Uh...they say "hey Bub" or "hey Chief" or I don't know, shit, they say, "hey I want to chat." ARE YOU F*CKIN' WITH ME, KID!!!!!!! No, I don't want any god damn sandwiches!

G
 ManWantsWoman
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 8:36:54 AM
Red dot means they are available to chat. To the box will appear on you screen letting you know if they are trying to chat with you. If you try to chat with them a box will appear on their screen letting them know too.
 JP1111
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2011 12:48:22 PM
A red dot or a blue dot or red/blue line it does not matter as you are still searching for what you want, yes?

If their profiles strikes you as a tad iffy then, move on. It's as simple as that.
 getanet
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/26/2011 4:44:41 PM
Post to contribute to death of thread.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > How do you know if someone wants to chat with you?