Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Venus transit      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 js37seaj
Msg: 1
Venus transit Page 1 of 1    
I was wondering if anyone else was considering viewing the transit of Venus this summer. I am and think it will be interesting to see.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 2
Venus transit
Posted: 12/20/2011 8:36:53 PM
Absolutely!! I've got a solar filter for a couple of my 'scopes. I had high hopes for the last one but, unfortunately, at the last moment, clouds rolled in and blocked the view!

Don't forget, too, that in the preceding March, you'll have a chance to see Venus pass through the Pleiades. that's a gorgeous sight! Of the best nights ever: 1995: Lunar eclipse, Venus in the Pleiades and Comet Hyakutake all in the same sky on the same night! I was like a kid not knowing which way to go.
 js37seaj
Msg: 3
Venus transit
Posted: 12/21/2011 9:46:38 AM
I know very little about astronomy, but it does interest me to some degree. I'll have to put it on the calendar or I'll forget and thanks. You'll have to forgive me some, can you see Venus pass through the Pleiades with out a scope? I don't have a scope if you are wondering why I am asking. I was planning on viewing the transit through a number 14 welding lens.
 A_Gent
Msg: 4
Venus transit
Posted: 12/21/2011 6:04:43 PM
I did see such a transit back in ' 2006 or so...

Through the telescope with filter, it was a big orange disk (Sun) with a round spot going (slowly) across the bottom third of it.

While I appreciate the wonder of it and that science has taken us to the place we can observe such things for ourselves.

It was about as exciting as what I described.

So if you have the sort of wonderous curiousity that you would watch an entire lunar eclipse.. and have trouble catching your breath and peeing yourself ... My blessings upon your nerdy, and I mean that respectfully, head.

Save me a spot!
 Springlve
Msg: 5
Venus transit
Posted: 12/27/2011 4:49:33 PM
i did not see the venus transit, but i felt that venus transit in my heart
 pappy009
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Venus transit
Posted: 12/30/2011 11:11:40 AM
The transit of Venus will make an eclipse, a Venus eclipse happens roughly every 126 yrs. Back in 2004 Venus also made and eclipse with the sun and now 8 yrs latter its doing it again. This is extremely rare. Only 8 yrs in between. And both times in the sign of Gemini.
 normaldude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Venus transit
Posted: 12/31/2011 1:30:57 PM
I dont have a solar filter for my reflector..... can a projection of it from the eyepiece work?
 OnlineFishBowl
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Venus transit
Posted: 6/4/2012 2:20:31 AM
set to take place this Tuesday June 5th. when it crosses, Venus will be 1/32th the size of the sun & be visible to the naked eye as a black dot against it. get a good safe look while it lasts. the next occurrence won't happen until 2117.

as i've noted before, the possibility of major quakes happening on Earth tends to increase when we align with the sun & another planet. i'm not saying it will happen this day but usually it's around the date. lots of weird activity already this past week as Antarctica had 2x - 5.6 quakes & way up north in Svalbard had a 6.2. Italy's devastating quake last Tuesday was a 5.8 with Chile's a 6.8. Panama was experiencing 6.6's this morning already along with quake swarms going off along California & Alaska.

found this video that explains it way better than i can. enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZCLq9fa27SQ
 A_Gent
Msg: 9
Venus transit
Posted: 6/4/2012 6:43:04 AM

... as i've noted before, the possibility of major quakes happening on Earth tends to increase when we align with the sun & another planet.....

C'mon science guy.... separate your possibility from your probability.

According to quantum mechanics... there is a possibility that in the next five minutes, Lady Ga Ga will materialize naked gyrating on your lap .... or that some other nice chick might give you a call for a date....

.... but what are the probabilities????
 PinkZombies
Msg: 10
Venus transit
Posted: 6/4/2012 8:29:28 AM
I'm excited about this... but yes I'm a nerd and it doesn't take much.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 11
Venus transit
Posted: 6/4/2012 9:08:21 PM
I am also excited about this.
but dont look at it with unprotected eyes. which means I wont be able to look at it.

I have heard and do believe that things on earth...
even within ourselves change when this happens..
the eclipse last week, and now this.
changes are happening in a more powerful and noticeable way now.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Venus transit
Posted: 6/5/2012 5:54:33 PM
^^^^^ Even safer to watch on the internet through profession telescopes and cameras!

Here the weather is kinda cloudy so kinda of a second best thats actually better.

VVVVV- If you see this today -good- or later on Utube

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/watch-transit-venus/
 blissness108
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Venus transit
Posted: 6/6/2012 7:38:11 AM
I watched a few hours of it on the internet and found it awesome. It was extremely cloudy, sort of rainy and foggy here to view on my own. I was glad to find this thread here. Those who observed, what did you think, or feel?
 PhotoGirl870
Msg: 14
Venus transit
Posted: 6/27/2012 9:35:31 AM
Oh I know I am SOOO late for this but I just had to say I saw it! Very cool!!
 wanderer1999
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Venus transit
Posted: 6/27/2012 9:39:27 AM

According to quantum mechanics... there is a possibility that in the next five minutes, Lady Ga Ga will materialize naked gyrating on your lap ....

So THAT's how that happened! She'll be relieved to know...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Venus transit