Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > 30 something... Tucked or Untucked?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 1
30 something... Tucked or Untucked?Page 1 of 1    
Hello ladies!

I need some fashion opinions. I am 37 and back out in the dating world. When I am out, I usually wear a nice pair of jeans and a button down short sleeve shirt, untucked. This was the 'in' thing when I was last dating a few years ago.

Here is my question. Given that I am 37 and I am trying to date women no more than say 7 or 8 years younger then me... what is most attractive on a guy?

Tucked in or not?

Thanks!

- Josh
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 2
30 something... Tucked or Untucked?
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:07:38 AM
young chicks love popped collars...

especially if you can work in several in the same ensemble.
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:11:11 AM
Yeah I have noticed that.

Honestly though, I can't do the popped collar thing. It just seems to silly for me. Granted I am not in my 20's either!
 abelian
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:11:32 AM
This was the 'in' thing when I was last dating a few years ago.

Maybe for hip slobs.

Tucked in or not?

If a woman won't date you because you don't dress like a slob and tuck in shorts that are supposed to be tucked in, you're with the wrong woman, unless you like women you can't take anywhere but monster truck shows.
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:12:41 AM
Some of the articles I read this morning on the subject discussed body type and the tuck/no tuck preference.

I am thin to average and I *think* I pull it off pretty well... then again I don't have washboard abs either so the shirt will tend to stick out just a bit.
 funinsun32
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:14:04 AM
Personally I prefer a nice polo style shirt to a button down any day!! And as far as in or out, depends on the activities and the place.
 MaidenKiev
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:15:10 AM
Depend what shape you REALLY are in. Nothing worse than seeing people look like Sausages ~ all tucked in but overflowing. Thin to average? Hard to tell from the angle shot and behind the kid photo . The one sitting on the boat I say a few extra in the middle. But I give up on people being honest with body type on here.

Maybe take some new photos where it actually shows your body and in what you normally wear.

Both looks can look good ~ just depends on the guy wearing it. Just like women. Some people look better in certain styles of clothes. Most importantly, that they fit !

Try both ways and see what looks best or ask someone you trust to tell you.
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:17:34 AM
"depends on the activities and the place."

Well that can vary. Sometimes it could be at a club. Other times out having a coffee. Lunch/Dinner, happy hour just to name a few.
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:21:41 AM
Thanks for the critique!

The angle one is my newest, about a month old. The other two are a year old and I have lost weight since then. I do plan on getting some better (and full body) pics in the next few weeks.

"Nothing worse than seeing people look like Sausages ~ all tucked in but overflowing."

Good point. No, I am not overflowing anymore when tucked in.

"But I give up on people being honest with body type on here"

I hear you. Like I said, I am getting more recent ones done in a few more weeks once I have some time. My waist size is now at a 30" to 32" depending on the jeans I am wearing. For a 5' 5" guy, I would say that is average at most.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:23:49 AM
Depends on your anatomy too. Tucked can emphasize a belly.

Sweatshirts and sweaters should NOT be tucked. Everything else is optional and can be worn either way. Untucked is more casual.

Which do you prefer? Which feels better? Which is more comfortable for you? Too many variables...
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:26:18 AM
"Which do you prefer? Which feels better? Which is more comfortable for you?"

That's a good question. I feel more "neat" when I tuck the shirt in and given that I no longer have the gut, I feel much more comfortable that way.

However... I don't want to come off as looking too stogy either.

Untucked feels less "neat" but seems to be more common when I look at some of the single guys around my age around me.
 114M3
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:28:34 AM

Tucked in or not?

It depends on what body type you have and the occasion. ...... Skinny to athletic guys can easily pass with tucked ... a few extra lbs and beyond I think untucked is ahem, easier on the eyes ...... however, generally speaking if its a casual affair, going untucked is no big deal .... if it is a somewhat formal affair, tucked is the proper way to go IMO.
 veevee
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:30:22 AM
Button up top, tuck unless it is stitched to be outside.
I have button downs that allow them to be out, they are rounded on the edges or have snips on the side that are finished. Girls button up shirts come with the inset waist seaming that I love and is mostly all I buy now - if you have boobs then wear a shirt without some sort of seaming the shirt sticks out from a side view as large as the boobs though your stomach is several inches behind and the curve of your back is lost by shoulders. If you have a trim waist I've seen a few guys shirts that are inset some if you want to avoid the poof. Really depends on your chest size vs waist. Guys hold weight in their waist lots of times.

This is what I consider a poof. That shirt could be altered much better on his sides.
http://www.rods.com/Mens-Cinch-Purple-Print-Button-Up-Shirt,26628.html

Rounded edge bottom - partial inset waist
http://www.zappos.com/marc-ecko-cut-sew-west-end-l-s-woven-shirt-cigarette

edit: I see you mentioned 5'5" while I was typing, you should avoid tucked me thinks because it makes a line to cut you in half - you should try for shirts not requiring a tuck

In truth, whatever is most comfortable for you is best - you don't want to be fidgeting too much if you are uncomfortable.
 gentlesurvivor74
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:35:51 AM

Really depends on your chest size vs waist. Guys hold weight in their waist lots of times. "

Well the good Lord did not bless me with a large chest no matter how much I put into it lol.

At present my chest and stomach are even. I can tighten my abs by maybe an extra inch before it becomes obvious (and uncomfortable). If my stomach gets any smaller, I may start to look like I am starving so I think I am about as far down as I can go.

I have a female friend who is going to go shopping with me this weekend and I will keep the stitching info in mind. (I never would have even considered it before today lol)

Thanks!
 rigal41
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:45:37 AM
my guy is 40 and most times it's tucked..some times untucked..either way I'm fine with his choices...
 4everRadiant
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/11/2012 8:21:43 AM
For casual, I'd say fitted untucked as long as your shirt isn't extra long. If it's too long, it would effect personal height appearance, make your upper body seem disproportionate to your lower body, or just simply look sloppy.

For formal occasions, fitted tucked. Technically, for some occasions, if you wear a tie and the rest of your outfit is really well coordinated, you could also get away with fitted untucked. It depends on the event.
 twotru
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 8:47:07 AM
Don't tuck it in but make sure it is not wrinkly :) Watch out for "dad" jeans (akin to "mom" jeans , the president wears "dad jeans).

Untucked for coffee, clubs after 8 or 9, etc

Tucked in for lunch m-f (work hours) or anything remotely business oriented.

Just stay away from dad jeans and wrinkly shirts :)
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 8:55:21 AM
There is no rule. If your going a little dressier tuck it in. If your going for a more casual look leave it untucked. Different looks for different places and times.

Cowboy
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:13:06 AM
I'm an older gal outside of your dating range, however, I prefer tucked in for button down-shirts. I think shirt tails hanging out look sloppy, no matter what the occasion is. Perhaps it's due to my military upbringing.
 gnirps
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:13:55 AM
I always wear a shirt with a collar, Tucked in is best on the first date, You can easily un-tuck later and be more comfortable .
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > 30 something... Tucked or Untucked?