Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > breast implant scare, who should pay?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 try1more
Msg: 1
view profile
History
breast implant scare, who should pay?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
my own view is that the government should pay for removal and replacement!
the government approved the implants (the americans didn't approve that make)
so the private clinics were using government approved implants, now the government want to demonise the private clinics.
if the government has any case to be reimbursed for the cost by the clinics, it should pursue them in court.
this would perhaps highlight failings in the approval process which it appears is broken, in which case the sooner it's fixed the better.
over to you.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 2
view profile
History
breast implant scare, who should pay?
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:37:07 AM
I think anyone who has had them done in the country should have the replaced...free of charge with a safer implant. Anyone who went abroad to get them....tough titty.
 Suzanne_999
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:37:10 AM
The clinics who charged their clients a small fortune to have the implants should pay for removal and replacement. They were happy enough to take the clinets money for a service and product. their product is faulty. They should replace with a more superior product free of charge.
 Past_Imperfect
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:38:00 AM
I realise this sounds a bit uncaring, but to be honest I don't care who pays so long as I don't have to - which means not the government either. The only exception I would make is if there was a medical reason for having implants, and I can't think of any.

For years doctors have been warning about the possible implications of implants - a friend of mine had to have hers removed about 10 years ago because one started to leak, despite the fact they were commonly used. If people CHOOSE to have surgery and have foreign objects implanted in their bodies they need to be able to pay the price.

That may sound harsh, don't really care. I would say the same of tattoos or piercings, hair implants - if it goes wrong or causes a problem you need to be able to take care of it.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:42:47 AM
I think the women that had them done on the NHS for medical reasons, i.e. masectomy, should have them taken out and replaced, if desired, by the NHS.

The rest of the air-heads that had them done for cosmetic reasons shoud fight it out between themselves and the clinic that sold them to them.

What person in their right mind would want their perfectly healthy body cut open and have foreign bodies inserted?

Why should I pay for it just because they wanted bigger tits ?
 ChemicalChaos
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:43:43 AM
I agree with post 3.

Aside from that I think that rather than offering replacements it should just be removal. Its going to be slightly cheaper.
 Ffrin
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:45:08 AM
The trouble with "the government should pay for removal and replacement" is that the government is us, thee and me: and I don't want to pay for it.

But I think there's a difference between a woman having implants because she has lost a breast, or both breasts, to cancer, and a woman having implants because she is unhappy about having small tits. I don't think the NHS should ever have paid for vanity surgery.
 Jo van
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:46:21 AM
I think the national health service should provide treatment, as NEEDED, free.

But... I also think that private clinics make huge profits, and will have very expensive 'public liability' insurance (It's mandatory for any business), so they should put right any failures/worries, at their own expense.

I always feel that if a product is much cheaper than it's rivals, there's probably a reason..
I tend not to buy the cheapest (usually) for that reason, and I think that with the money charged by clinics, (c.£6k/'pair'...?) they should have used the best quality, rather than the cheapest, even if they were "approved".

I would really need to see 'before', and 'after' pictures, to make an accurate assessment....

CalypsoRach
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:47:36 AM

The only exception I would make is if there was a medical reason for having implants, and I can't think of any.

Cancer is one of the reasons some women have them when they have had to have Mastectomy
 Miniadventure
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:49:10 AM

I realise this sounds a bit uncaring, but to be honest I don't care who pays so long as I don't have to

Bang on in my book, this is elective cosmetic surgery at the end of the day not something life threatening, when you say government you mean taxpayer really as thats who will end up with the bill.

I've read some places are willing to remove them free of charge but not all will, I'd no more pay for this as a taxpayer than I would a nose job, bum lift, tattoo removal or anything else like that.
 Pete2205
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:52:50 AM
If a company does not cover themselves by getting a signed indemnity stating that there are risks in a particular surgical operation. Then at a point where there is a real risk of harm or injury having occurred as a result of such an operation they should be liable for removal and cosmetic correction.

Where theres blame theres a claim
 Sorcererpds
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:08:24 AM
I heard some woman being interviewed on the radio who said "If there is something that's not meant to be in my body, I want it removed and I don't see why I should have to pay for it!"

The irony was obviously lost on her that regardless of what the implant is made of, it's not meant to be in her body. It's man-made and not natural.

If a woman has had reconstructive surgery, involving implants, following breast removal due to cancer or other disease, I don't mind coughing up. While it may be to do with appearance and self-confidence, I don't think it is the same as women electing to undertake non-essential surgery purely for vanity /self-confidence. If you elect or choose to have unceccesary surgery like this then I'm afraid you have to pay for any 'running repairs'. Reconstruction following cancer is, in my book, essential surgery because it is repairing damage caused by essential surgey.
 try1more
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:17:24 AM
ok didn't think there was any need to offer my personal view of cosmetic surgery but maybe there is.
i'm anti, i didn't like the tits free on the nhs, and i dont like any surgery for cosmetic reasons with perhaps the exception of reconstruction.

but i've set aside my personal views.
as i see it this is more about criminal negligence on the part of those charged with approving medical implants.
what if it were a heart valve? or hip replacement? those are medical implants. whats happened, is the very thing that approval is supposed to prevent.
i think to overlook that is foolish in the extreme.
i didn't like it that we were having to pay once for vanity never mind twice, but those who's job it is to to approve implants must surely be held responsible when they get so wrong?

Past_Imperfect:
as i understand it implants are expected to be replaced every 10 years or thereabouts.
 Monkeysox
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:19:10 AM
I agree with everyone else who has said that those who have had to have it done for medical purposes (mastectomy ) etc should have them removed and replaced by the NHS.

Those that have had it done privately through vanity should pay to have it done themselves if they cant get the clinic that did the procedure to do it for free.
 lovelikewinter
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:36:19 AM
It's the exact same thing as taking a pill. I believe insurance should pay for heart and other necessary pills, but not erection pills. Insurance does pay for those too but just because they are approved does not mean the clinic/doctor is fully responsible; it is the man's fault for not realizing he should not take them and being able to accept the consequences.
 _nx_
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:37:17 AM

Thinking of getting some myself. Not much action on POF so be a good feel every evening....

you should speak to jo van....

I always feel that if a product is much cheaper than it's rivals, there's probably a reason..

I tend not to buy the cheapest (usually) for that reason

he seems to have had lots of them, maybe he can give you some advice on the best place to get them done...

SGB2012
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:42:00 AM
Though the Government may have approved the sale of these form of breast implant so too did the individual private clinics who used them. Medical experts do not, or should not form medical opinion thanks to politicians, they derive them personal study, peer reviewed studies. The clinics are liable, they can attempt to pass this liability on to a certain extent to the manufacturers or other health professionals, but from the point of view of the end user it is an issue between them and their clinic.
 Jo van
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:46:15 AM

he seems to have had lots of them, maybe he can give you some advice on the best place to get them done...

HEY!
Don't mock my "collection",

I get very lonely, of an evening....

I only use them as 'stress-balls' anyway.....
 zedhead
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 10:58:39 AM
if the implants were done for medical reasons fair enougth nhs/govmt/us should foot the bill.if its some essex,air head,bimbo who is just vain bollox.let them pay.
with most of them a chisel to chip off the make up would be a better investment
 pauline2012
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:04:00 AM
Lauren from TOWIE discovers she will have to have her implants removed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2085263/TOWIEs-Lauren-Pope-reveals-shock-discovering-PIP-breast-implants.html

Using silicone meant for mattresses?
 CalypsoRach
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:08:19 AM

my own view is that the government should pay for removal and replacement!

At the taxpayers cost.

the government has any case to be reimbursed for the cost by the clinics, it should pursue them in court.

This would still be at the taxpayers cost.

I think so far, the taxpayers are the people to pay for the cost. I think the manufacturer should pay all costs because it's not fit for purpose. As per our consumer rights are concerned we would be entitled to a replacement of said product, removal/refund or an exchange.

Standards are not met therefore would deem that the customer was entitled to a replacement and if any conditions caused due to this damages paid.

So I think the liability lays at the manufacturers door..
 zedhead
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:10:26 AM
lauren from towie needs her brain removed.........oh she has???
 kirkstmoritz2
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:34:54 AM
The end user has a contract with the clinic, not the manufacturer so the clinic are liable....assuming they're still in business. They can then try claiming against the manufacturer to recover their costs.

Maybe it would make sense to take out an "extended warranty" on all new nork jobs.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:44:49 AM

I think anyone who has had them done in the country should have the replaced...free of charge with a safer implant.
What I failed to mention was that this should be done by the clinic where they had the originals done. I don't think that the government should foot the bill. The words TOUGH SHIT spring to mind.
 CalypsoRach
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 11:49:55 AM

The end user has a contract with the clinic, not the manufacturer so the clinic are liable....assuming they're still in business. They can then try claiming against the manufacturer to recover their costs.

Depends how long since the contract was completed.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > breast implant scare, who should pay?