Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Moving to Sydney.. Help? LOL      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aussie_fishie
Msg: 1
Moving to Sydney.. Help? LOLPage 1 of 1    
It's kind of strange for me to post on this, but I'd figure I would give it a shot anyways!
Long-story short, I have decided to move back to Sydney to pursue my grad-school studies. I was born in Sydney in a "village" called Blacktown (well, at least that's what my passport says.) Within 3 years, my family decided we should immigrate to the Great White North (a.k.a. Canada) where we lived in an igloo with polar bears around us. Quite frankly, I don't remember anything about Australia.

Anyways, I will be doing my Masters in HR+Industrial Relations @ Uni. of Sydney (Darlington Campus). I was hoping to get some pointers/survival tips from you locales here.

Background info:
1. I have saved up enough money (i think) to pay the tuition upfront, and with enough to pay off the essentials

2. i have been working non-stop since I was in undergrad. Chances are, I would want to work while in school full-time. I feel 'weird' when I'm not working.

3. i do photography for fun, and have a large assortment of lenses. If I do end up starving, I think if I sell just one of them, I would have enough for two months rent

Questions!:

-is Darlington a 'nice' area to live in, or is it filled with drunk undergraduate students?
I am hoping to have a studio to myself. Looking at Gumtree, there doesn't appear to have a lot of studios available in this area. Are there other areas that you would recommend that is easily accessible by train/bus?

-Where is 'CBD' in Sydney? Is Darlington far from 'CBD'?

-Would you consider a car a 'necessity'? I live in Vancouver, BC (yes, the land of the crazy riots and the host of the recent Winter Olympics) right now. I sold my car in favour of the carshare (ZipCar) services and riding my roadbike. Not sure if Darlington (or Aus) is bike friendly in general

-What's there to do at night??
Any tips/info would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Johnny
 Tah,
Msg: 2
Moving to Sydney.. Help? LOL
Posted: 1/12/2012 6:21:53 PM
Your about a killing spears throw from cbd...surrounded by slums that probably don't have enough killing spears thrown.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 4:57:41 PM
johnny does it gotta be Sydney ?? Cause mate I dont know how to tell you this, but We awestraliens have a few universitys outside the Sydney CBD.

And Sydney is well...if were up too me and aint, I'd put up a big fence around it (after I got out all the kangeroos n bunyips) and require passports to leave.. its not Australia.

you'd be better down under here at Cairns, James Cook Uni would be much better suited to you as the climate is similar 0; )
 daffie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 7:39:58 PM
i agree with others here,
does it have to be sydney?

if you have to be in a big city melbourne has all you're looking for and is by far a nicer place to live.
brisbane is a great place and offers world class universities also.

the only place i'd even considering living at in sydney is on the harbour somewhere...
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Moving to Sydney.. Help? LOL