Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Why I prefer POF over Match.com      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 grantfl80
Msg: 1
Why I prefer POF over Match.comPage 1 of 1    
So I paid for a six-month subscription to Match.com, and my six months have since run out. An automatic debit for $120.00 was taken from my account for an additional six months that I did not authorize. When I called Match.com's customer service number I was told that I had agreed to a renewal six months ago when I initially signed up. The first agent was unable to grant me my refund because I was not "eligible" for the refund. So, her supervisor got on the phone with me and repeated the same reason to me. Finally, I was put in touch with someone from the corporate office. The conversation with this woman became a heated argument. She ended up canceling my account without refunding my $120.00. I cited www.consumeraffaris.com, and literally read two of the testimonials to her, and she still refused to refund me my money, insisting that I agreed to the renewal. I then stated, "I am on the phone as a living, breathing human being that I do not agree to the renewal, and that you, as a living, breathing human being need to refund me my money." She followed up with a "thanks for calling Match.com, have a nice day," and hung up on me.

I have made it a new priority to ensure that this fraudulent company never prey on me or any of you ever again. I would like to refer you to the THOUSANDS of complaints on the consumer affairs website. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/dating_services/match.html Feel free to pass this information along to anyone you like.

The upside, my credit card company filed a dispute against Match.com. They said I will be getting the money granted back to my account in due time. They also suggested that I cancel that credit card, and have a new card and number issued to me to protect me from Match.com's ability to auto-debit my account in the future. They also warned me that since an employee in the corporate office treated a paying customer like this, that it's in my best interest to protect myself and my account from them. Apparently disgruntled corporate workers can/will enact revenge on customers.

Bottom line, Match.com HAS my $120.00 and also canceled my account. So I have virtually unwillingly paid for a service that is not being provided to me.

Please take this post as a warning to all of you, as I hope none of you endure the sort of manipulation of funds that I have endured by this inflexible and fraudulent corporation.

G
 Amor_Meu
Msg: 2
Why I prefer POF over Match.com
Posted: 1/16/2012 2:33:49 PM
OP,Sorry hear that man...What a nightmare you are going through. When did you pay that first six months,so did you cancel the RENEW membership BEFORE expire the six months?

You should do that before expire the first six months membership,then if they still charged you, it is fraud.

So yeah change your credit card,get new one please. They say that match.com has tons and tons of the scams from Nigeria,Africa and some other countries out there.

Thanks that I won't signing up to paying sites,POF is good enough.

Break Dance Forever!!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2012 4:03:38 PM
If it sounds too good to be true then it prob is. I see those match.com commercials and those eHarmony commercials and they act like their service will find you a person as soon as you sign up. What they don't tell you is how many people come away with less money in their bank account and feeling utterly dissapointed when they paid money thinking that was going to give them a better chance of finding someone when all that did was put more money into that site.
 Falcon91
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:08:21 PM
Sorry to hear OP

Good to know you went through the channels to bust them wide open though.
 veevee
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:20:17 PM
Don't forget BBB when you have a business complaint if they are affiliated. They will help you get investigation started if the company/CSRs won't cooperate.
This is one for match.
http://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/dating-service/matchcom-in-dallas-tx-21002176
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:52:25 PM
I agree with the OP...If you sign up for something you should have the option to cancel your subscription at any time.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/17/2012 1:57:40 PM
I use a couple credit cards only for online purchases that have superb customer service (don't want to billboard them here). ANY problem I have they charge back the full amount immediately no questions asked. End of story. They also provide a new card and number for free any time. Also, since the latest eco crunch they refuse to give me an increase in credit amount which in my case is a very good thing.

No annual fee either. They are well worth my keeping till I die to assure my peace of mind when shopping online and after-the-fact acknowledging someone I don't know has my number until I change it. Which is by the way a good thing to do periodicly when shopping online and easy and free when you find the right company.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 2:03:34 PM
Ya know Walmart sells pre-paid visa/mastercards for like $4. Well worth it for crap just like this. You only add enough onto the card to pay for the purchase. No way to rebill without you depositing more money. Works great. If you had googled you would of known match is famous for this crap. Just like AOL used to be. They would give out tons of FREE one month memberships and no matter when you asked to cancel or how hard you tried to cancel the billing went on month after month with them.

Cowboy
 Revilors
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:14:13 AM
Everything is getting this way. You just have to be more careful and read before you sign up. Especially for free trials. If they ask for a credit card for something that is "free"...chances are...there will be an automatic renewal unless you are proactive about cancelling it.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 10:39:30 AM
had something similar with an easy date company, all the profiles that had messaged me before paying deleted their profiles within a few weeks of me joining, understand they have 13+ dating websites.

the forums of that site were mostly about sex and nothing else
 scifichicky
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/29/2012 12:17:15 PM
I just cancelled as they were not very good! I didn't get very many responses (they have a much smaller pool of datable people) and the ones they matched me up with did not meet my criteria AT ALL! I am done raising children for the most part, my girl is a teenager and I am not looking to have more or raise a housefull of somebody else's... one older child is fine. They kept matching me with people that were looking to start having kids or had like four really little ones.
 Viper1E
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/1/2012 1:42:42 PM
Never had a problem with Match, but then as a Charter Member, (One of the first 100 to sign up in 1994) I have a free Lifetime Full Membership. As long as I don't delete my account. My attorney says I can even leave it to someone in my will. When I was married, I just hid it.

What I want to know, is how much it costs to be a POF moderator. That would be well worth paying for.!
 scifichicky
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/1/2012 2:07:36 PM
Viper 1E

WOW, you kept your match profile while married and just hid it??? Not nice.
 nevadajim50
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/1/2012 6:02:53 PM
I had the same problem, I went through paypal who granted my refund. The customer service sucks at match. I made an email therefore they said i had used their service, I was on a 3 day trial. I was threating a lawyer they would not budge. I hope someone has reported them to the better business board. Buyer beware!!!!!!!!
 hornncorndog
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/2/2012 10:09:13 AM
Wow let me add Singlenet Senoir match Ask dot com all own buy the same evil corp. Join single net a year ago ad said money back state ment NOT . DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. Look up there parent corp there hugh.
 Viper1E
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/4/2012 12:55:16 PM
Viper 1E
WOW, you kept your match profile while married and just hid it??? Not nice.

1. She knew about it. I never hid ANYTHING from my wife. And I told her that one day our grandson might be using it. I keep my charter membership FOREVER, as long as I don't actually delete it. Unlike POF, the DOB, gender, description, literally everything can be changed. As long as the original user name is not changed. My daughter even used it before she got married.

2. I never even looked at it, until two years and three months after I had buried my wife. I expect my grandson may very well use it one day.
 Dr__Matt
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/6/2012 10:51:09 AM
It's a useless dating site and has no other reasonf for existing except to take money off you. They are also hypocritical. I joined a while ago and one of my profile photos was repeatedly rejected even though it broke no rules. This is in contrast to loads of other profiles I saw of people wearing sunglasses in their profile photo, side on views etc.

They also boast millions of members but never purge old profiles and you have no way of telling if someone is a paid up member (if they're not they can't email you back) so you could be wasting time emailing people who can never respond.

Complete waste of time and money.

On the subject of the OPs original query. They may have a point. I signed up for three months (I think, it was ages ago) and it did say it would automatically renew after three months so I cancelled in plenty of time. Might be different now, I don't know.
 Viper1E
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/7/2012 7:11:07 AM

It's a useless dating site and has no other reasonf for existing except to take money off you. They are also hypocritical. I joined a while ago and one of my profile photos was repeatedly rejected even though it broke no rules. This is in contrast to loads of other profiles I saw of people wearing sunglasses in their profile photo, side on views etc.

Probably not the glasses, but they're REALLY anal on the resolution of the pics, file size, etc..

They also boast millions of members but never purge old profiles and you have no way of telling if someone is a paid up member (if they're not they can't email you back) so you could be wasting time emailing people who can never respond.

Like AFF, standard members can't start an email, but they can respond..

Complete waste of time and money.

Can't address that, since I've never had to give them a penny..
 KorageHu
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 4:18:19 PM
i met ppl on pof. I never met ppl on match.
 Viper1E
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:09:13 AM
I remember a time, before I was married, when I used to see more azz than a toilet seat off Match.
 OopstooLate
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 8:17:43 AM
It's not just Match that does this, there are a few others too. When you first put your credit card info in it automatically checks off a box to renew your subscription. The only time it happened to me, I had actually unchecked the box, after which the browser reloaded the page and rechecked the box. They can get pretty sneaky when they want your money. You just need to make sure you double check your account info everytime you sign up for stuff...it's a shame, but that's how they make their money.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Why I prefer POF over Match.com