Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > First Strike in SOPA wars..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Viper1E
Msg: 1
First Strike in SOPA wars..Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Was launched tonight. Wikipedia is down, Twitter is down, Google has a black banner. Facebook is scheduled to go down. The next 24 hours are going to be very interesting.

So, who do you think will ultimately win?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
First Strike in SOPA wars..
Posted: 1/17/2012 11:22:26 PM
Craigslist went down, temporarily let's hope.. SOPA is likely doomed to be set aside for this decade at least..
 CMonster
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2012 11:23:10 PM
The bill is dead. The President has already said that he wouldn't support the bill. The sites shutting down is a bit overkill.
 Viper1E
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/18/2012 12:37:42 AM
The bill is dead. The President has already said that he wouldn't support the bill. The sites shutting down is a bit overkill.

Lamar Smith (R-Texas) removed the section regarding DNS SEC that the White had an issue with, and is still going forward..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/16/sopa_no_dns_block/

SOPA bins DNS blocking after White House wades in
Come up with something better, Obama's three czars plead
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 1:03:32 AM
Funny how wikpedia says it's down except for this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

But we all know who is behind this push. The RIAA, Motion pictures of America. Tech giant companies like Microsoft. Major Media outlets like Time Warner and News Corp. Companies that feel like they have been getting ripped off from pirated content.

Viper1E
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/18/2012 2:03:21 AM
What do you see from here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
 Viper1E
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:09:01 AM
The blog Boing Boing, and Reddit just went dark.
 CMonster
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:42:31 AM
Lamar Smith (R-Texas) removed the section regarding DNS SEC that the White had an issue with, and is still going forward..

I guess I gave the President credit much too quickly. Well, I've learned my lesson.
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/18/2012 8:35:15 AM
I can live without all these site. I did before they existed and I can after they are gone.
 Viper1E
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:00:31 AM
Can you live without Google? Youtube? Those will be some of the first to go.
 veevee
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:27:58 AM
Can you live without Google? Youtube? Those will be some of the first to go

Google I have no problem seeing less of. You have no idea how this company has strained me and my work. Everyone that wants a website made wants to be first on Google - it's impossible to do constantly - they can't afford what it costs already. Just this week I have a client complaining about paying 1500 a month to them for advertising. That could be another employee for them! No matter how many times I tell them to add more content they get frustrated and wander off to some SEO company that backlinks them to a billion junk sites and sometimes it works. Google allows it and counts backlinks way too highly. Sometimes though they end up banned and that's when I finally smile but let me tell you websites are extremely competitive now and BIG money. I am happy every damn day that I have an interest in this type of work. Rarely do I meet someone that doesn't want a website.

Bing and duckduckgo are alternate search engines you know... search engines won't be gone if Google steps out. Real-time search is on the rise too and Google keeps buying up their tech hoping to keep them out of competition.

If youtube is a casualty because of it - let it be - I'll give it up. I'm only pilfering really using all this stuff for free I didn't buy - Right now I have Journey on in the background and have not one Journey album. I'm getting the milk for free.

I still don't support internet legislation because I want it to be the den of the great unwashed. I'm not in support of anyone getting involved in it - the copyright issue should be case by case and holding the company responsible for what it's users do is impossible - millions of uploads an hr. can't be monitored. I'm also for net neutrality. Don't want them slowing down speeds of certain sites either unless the sites will pay more to be full attention.

It's internet history today and we get to watch it.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 10:46:29 AM
people good at tech can easily get around the bills, much like the people in totalitarian countries who have a firewall to protect the country

one can use a vpn or the direct ip address
eg pof is http://64.34.110.174 and it is that simple to get around

in the past people who had copyrighted stuff on their websites were informed about it and given the chance to remove it, with the sopa method, everyone in the usa is prevented from accessing the site and all because a media company says so
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 12:33:01 PM
What do you see from here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

The main page going dark. The only page not dark is the SOPA link on wiki.

The pirate bay is already getting around it by linking the torrent download from other places instead of hosting those uploads themselves.
 Falcon91
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/18/2012 12:40:25 PM
Hackers, Pirates, File shares, and others won't be stopped by this. Infact it'll increase attacks upon the US networks 10 fold, and it'll cause hell.

As someone said earlier the companies are bank rolling everyone to get this pushed through.

It won't change a thing for me, I'll still get around all the bullcrap and get my music one way.
 Viper1E
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/18/2012 1:28:36 PM
The blackout seems to be working..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/18/protectip_senator_sponsors_abandon_bill/

Two PROTECT IP sponsors drop support for their own bill
Politicians scatter in the face of public ire

Two of the co-sponsors of the PROTECT IP anti-piracy bill currently working its way through Congress have dropped support for the legislation.

“I have decided to withdraw my support for the Protect IP Act,” said Florida Senator Marco Rubio on his Facebook page. “Furthermore, I encourage Senator Reid to abandon his plan to rush the bill to the floor. Instead, we should take more time to address the concerns raised by all sides, and come up with new legislation that addresses internet piracy while protecting free and open access to the internet.”

Shortly after Rubio’s announcement another of the co-sponsors (there are eleven cited in Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy’s bill) announced he was dropping his support. Missouri Senator Roy Blunt took to Facebook to decry legislation that he had initially been so keen on.

“The right to free speech is one of the most basic foundations that makes our nation great, and I strongly oppose sanctioning Americans’ right to free speech in any medium – including over the internet,” his post reads. “I continue to believe that we can come to a solution that will cut off the revenue sources for foreign websites dedicated to counterfeiting and piracy that steal American jobs, hurt the economy, and harm consumers. But the PROTECT IP Act is flawed as it stands today, and I cannot support it moving forward.”

Both claimed that they had changed their minds because the Democrats were trying to rush the vote for January 24, and don't mention the public and private opposition being expressed. The PROTECT IP Act, aka PIPA, and the proposed SOPA legislation are the source of today’s internet blackout by a host of websites, and public demonstrations in larger US cities are also being planned.

Not one to be left out, Texan Senator John Cornyn also used Facebook to announce that he was dropping his support to SOPA and related legislation. He said that the legislation was too far-reaching to ram through Congress and said it was as flawed as President Obama’s health plan.

“SOPA: better to get this done right rather than fast and wrong. Stealing content is theft, plain and simple, but concerns about unintended damage to the internet and innovation in the tech sector require a more thoughtful balance, which will take more time,” he posted.

These latest defections may not be enough to kill the proposed legislation however. If enough support remains, they could be pushed through, and while the White House has indicated its unhappiness with the bills as they stand, the President isn’t committing to a veto.
 chrono1985
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:49:20 PM
I really hope these events do kill off any major support for SOPA/PIPA and get ACTA re-examined (yeah they slipped that one by us already).

For a long time now we've had take down notices, which are very similar to cease and desist notices, a small variation being often the domain is seized and auctioned off to recover paperwork/court cost. They allow the owners of the website to rectify the problem or contest it before action is taken against them. This is required for websites like PoF, where anyone is free to create an account, and post what they want. In most cases it works because there are moderator teams or user controls in place to take care of offensive/illegal content in a timely manner.

SOPA is not at all aimed to aid in that effort, despite it's "premise". SOPA is a tool, for corporations to destroy their competitions major outlet in a heartbeat. Let's say CompanyA doesn't like that CompanyB has overtaken their MMORPG subscriptions. A CompanA employee goes home, creates an account on CompanyB's forums, post illegal copies of data, then reports them. Let's say this CompanyA employee was remotely clever and watched CompanyB's forums to find what hours the moderators were offline (say night time, their all sleeping). CompanyA has just injected content which under SOPA's doctrine qualifies CompanyB's entire domain being blacklisted, not just their forums, but also their main site and most importantly their online store where they sell subscriptions.

If that at all sounds like it's too shady for any corporation (or even small business) to actually do. Take a few minutes and browse the various news websites for Copyright/Patent violation lawsuits. What do the contents of these copyrights/patents look like they are suing each other over.
Source: U.S. Patent #8,082,523
Exert: "A portable electronic device displays, on a touch screen display, a user interface for a phone application during a phone call."
Problems:
1) This is typical multitasking behavior of task based processing.
2) It's too vague, phone application is never defined in the patent. One could easily apply this description to Caller ID and Clocks that are displayed on your cell phone while a call is in progress.
3) A lawsuit by the company that filed this patent has already been won based on the contents of this patent. The defending company had produced their "offending mobile device" long before this patent was filed, let alone issued.

Granted that comes from a company that is particularly shady, it really goes to show they will stoop to any level to sink their competition.
 Viper1E
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/19/2012 1:40:07 PM
We won! It's dead!

http://www.examiner.com/computers-in-denver/house-kills-sopa
House Kills SOPA

In a surprise move today, Representative Eric Cantor(R-VA) announced that he will stop all action on SOPA, effectively killing the bill. This move was most likely due to several things. One of those things is that SOPA and PIPA met huge online protest against the bills. Another reason would be that the White House threatened to veto the bill if it had passed. However, it isn't quite time yet to celebrate, as PIPA(the Senate's version of SOPA) is still up for consideration.

The online protests about the bill were surprising and large. They ranged anywhere from callng Representatives, companies, and senators to get them to change their mind, to actively moving domain's away from and targeting the business model of the companies that supported/lobbied for the bill. GoDaddy lost well over 100,000 domains in the space of about 10 days due to their involvement with these bills, along with other various targets. Reddit in particular has been influential in turning the tide against SOPA and PIPA, and is a good demonstration of how the Internet enables Democracy.

PIPA is less well known than SOPA, but the provisions are basicly the same. It still includes the same DNS blocking and censoring system that the original SOPA did, just without the SOPA name. There are around 40 co-sponsors of the bill in the Senate so far, with no word on how many senators support the bill in addition to that. There will most likely need to be 60 votes in the Senate in order to invoke cloture and end an almost guaranteed filibuster.
 poshrat
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/20/2012 5:39:01 AM
and this morning?
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In one of the U.S. government's largest anti-piracy crackdowns ever, federal agents on Thursday arrested the leaders of and shut down Megaupload.com, a popular hub for illegal media downloads.

Only this was a coercive..ooops! co-operative venture using the police departments of many OTHER countries to arrest the owners/operators/ staff and confiscate the servers, money, and other items....on OTHER continents.

Laws? Who needs them..? The US is determined to take over, control, censor and cripple the internet by any means... and 'fair' doesn't even enter the equation...!

I think the 'Land of the Free' had better start waking up to just how little Freedom they still have, and the reason for all the FEMA concentration camps will become apparent!

Poshrat
 lyingcheat
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 7:24:19 AM

Futurist and digital culture expert Mark Pesce says it is interesting that megaupload.com, which accounts for about 4 per cent of internet uploads, has been targeted by the authorities.

"You can five years in jail for uploading a Michael Jackson video, which is a year longer than the doctor who killed him will get."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-20/hacktivists-attack-us-department/3784456

(Kim) Dotcom, Megaupload’s former CEO and current chief innovation officer, is a resident of Hong Kong and New Zealand and a dual citizen of Finland and Germany who had his name legally changed. The 37-year-old was previously known as Kim Schmitz and Kim Tim Jim Vestor.

Two other German citizens and one Dutch citizen also were arrested and three other defendants – another German, a Slovakian and an Estonian – remain at large.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which defends free speech and digital rights online, said in a statement that the arrests set “a terrifying precedent. If the United States can seize a Dutch citizen in New Zealand over a copyright claim, what is next?”
http://techland.time.com/2012/01/20/u-s-internet-piracy-case-brings-new-zealand-arrests/#ixzz1k0VKvlRE

New Zealand should have told the US to go **** themselves.
 Viper1E
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/20/2012 7:45:00 AM
Micheal Jackson got it wrong.. It's not "We are the world", it's We OWN the world..
 CMonster
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 1:58:55 PM

I think the 'Land of the Free' had better start waking up to just how little Freedom they still have, and the reason for all the FEMA concentration camps will become apparent!

Some of us recognize the problems that could be caused by the overreaching hand of the US Federal Government. Unfortunately they [the Feds] have been successful in diverting the focus to class warfare in order to keep the majority in the dark.

The latest news is that the bill is off the table in order to be "re-worded" in order to keep the fringe groups for enacting radical measures of protest.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/20/technology/anonymous_hack/
 Falcon91
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/20/2012 3:39:25 PM
I give it a week before US military cyber command gets pegged
 MikeWM
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 5:54:36 AM
The problem with this kind of legislation that seems to be being overlooked here isnt so much to do with copyright infringement at all, thats just the smokescreen being used to get the bill passed by playing on peoples emotions by going on about all the poor billionaires who might have to cut down to only buying one new bentley this year because of the starving unemployed masses "stealing" something that has already made them millions in profits rather than handing over $10 that they probably dont even have to see it at the cinema

And the US more than anyone should realise what the real risk here might be after being dumb enough to be duped into accepting the patriot act really

All the government will need to do if any of these type of bills get passed when presented with a website that expresses any views, opinions or content that they "prefer" people didnt see is "claim" theres illegal content being shared via the site

In a few years if it turns out there wasnt then hey ho, shit happens

And with the added benefit that the reason given wouldnt even make people suspect the real reason for closing the site as being expressing freedom of expression of views the government would rather people didnt hear

Had Sopa been in law already I would wager that it might have been used to take on wikileaks, and if it does get passed into law I doubt very much that it will be used purely for valid pursuits of copyright infringement

Infact even the concept of "lost revenue" is a bit of a misnomer

Most people I know that download films and music literally couldnt afford to buy it or pay to see it anyway. So they are defrauding nothing. But would be included in the "claimed" loss

Same would also apply to people who like to see something before making their mind up whether to see it at the cinema or to buy it on DVD/Bluray after having bought overly hyped crap in the past

One person springs to mind instantly in that respect, he has a self imposed budget for "media" per month, but will download games, music and films then buy the "good" stuff.

His expenditure doesnt alter because he can download stuff. But he also doesnt buy useless crap anymore that he cant legally take back BECAUSE its useless crap that was claimed to be "good" anymore

So again, cost to the recording industry? Zero, but all of his downloads will also be classed as "lost income"

What they do actually lose is heavily debateable, especially in a recession. And their massively overcharging for good and overpaying actors could also be claimed as mitigation too

Should a government be legislating to try and sustain an industries unbridled greed?

Well it IS america I guess, the land of the the greed
 lyingcheat
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:21:01 PM
Why SOPA is a bad idea (and why this battle isn't won... yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsyxyWUW0s
 CMonster
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:27:37 PM

Why SOPA is a bad idea (and why this battle isn't won... yet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsyxyWUW0s

Nice. It's refreshing to hear the story without the verbosity of Congress' legalese BS or the watered down sound bites by the television news media.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > First Strike in SOPA wars..