Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do so many women here have deceitful pictures?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDR63
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do so many women here have deceitful pictures?Page 1 of 1    
There's nothing that turns me off more than having girls who try and be deceitful by using MySpace angles to try and make themselves look better. It's an instant turn-off, and I feel like I'm being lied to.

I'm not the best-looking guy myself, but I don't try and trick other people into thinking I look better than I actually do.

There should be a rule that you have to have at least one dead-on, straight ahead picture, so there's no mystery.

God, it pisses me off. Why do you girls do this? :P
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 2
Why do so many women here have deceitful pictures?
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:14:53 PM
There's nothing that turns me off more than having girls who try and be deceitful by using MySpace angles to try and make themselves look better. It's an instant turn-off, and I feel like I'm being lied to.

Then see that as a sign they are not for you and move on.

God, it pisses me off. Why do you girls do this? :P

It is like people that select Athletic for body type, but them later tell you that they are actually a bit overweight.

They do it because they can.
 meechpeach
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:15:07 PM
Because this website is a lot like grocery shopping.

Say you're shopping for canned corn.
You go down the isle and you see Green Giant canned corn in perfect condition, and no name canned corn with a dent in it.

Which one are you going to be attracted to?
 dp30
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:21:32 PM
[/Because this website is a lot like grocery shopping.

Say you're shopping for canned corn.
You go down the isle and you see Green Giant canned corn in perfect condition, and no name canned corn with a dent in it.

Which one are you going to be attracted to? ]

Completely agree, but don't you think these people are setting themselves up for an inevitable let down by doing this? If they fooled you and then when you meet the person, and they look a lot worse in person you're going to bail asap, and never talk to them again, so whats the point?
 meechpeach
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:25:34 PM

but don't you think these people are setting themselves up for an inevitable let down by doing this? If they fooled you and then when you meet the person, and they look a lot worse in person you're going to bail asap, and never talk to them again, so whats the point?

Chances are people who do this either have no intention of ever meeting anyone because when the time comes they will chicken out. All that they really enjoy is someone giving them compliments and making them feel wanted.
And anyone who does meet them clearly have issues and don't want to deal with what they really look like.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:26:19 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about, OP. I think I'm pretty honest with my pictures; no Photoshop or weird angles. It's true that people are going to figure out what you look like when you meet, anyway, and you're just going to waste people's time and piss them off by hiding the truth. I think guys are less guilty of this (although they have their own picture problems).
 RedMantis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:31:59 PM
That's why I have a full-body and let then judge if I'm a fat person or not. Although, I should take into account that my pictures don't show my skin very well so I'm hoping that they would like me for my personality.
 dp30
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:36:38 PM
[Chances are people who do this either have no intention of ever meeting anyone because when the time comes they will chicken out. All that they really enjoy is someone giving them compliments and making them feel wanted.
And anyone who does meet them clearly have issues and don't want to deal with what they really look like.]

I've actually had this happen to me twice in the past, so at least some of these people don't chicken out. It makes the whole thing really awkward. You don't want to hurt someones feelings, but you show up expecting one thing and get something completely different, so how are you supposed to react. The first time I was polite, and didn't bring it up and just made an early exit. The second time I blatantly said you look nothing like your pictures and just left immediately.
 Gardina
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:40:38 PM
I have to agree that it is deceitful and I personally have always wondered why they would set themselves up to see the disappointment on the mans face when he sees the real them..
 gronkrocks
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:41:52 PM

I blatantly said you look nothing like your pictures and just left immediately.

I do the same thing!!!
It especially pisses me off because my profile clearly shows I'm athletic. Why would someone that doesn't value their body as much think they would even get along with me?

OP, I feel your pain man. There are a few gems on here though. Just be patient and don't get jaded.
 meechpeach
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:43:04 PM

The second time I blatantly said you look nothing like your pictures and just left immediately.

That's the way you should always respond in my opinion.
If someone is going to be rude enough to lie to you about how they look, then you are allowed to be rude enough to walk out.
That person is NOT the person you arranged the date with.
 dp30
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/21/2012 5:49:47 PM
[That's the way you should always respond in my opinion.
If someone is going to be rude enough to lie to you about how they look, then you are allowed to be rude enough to walk out.
That person is NOT the person you arranged the date with.]

Yea if it ever happens again I will stick with that. Its not worth my time to be polite to someone that is lying right from the start.

meech i checked out your profile, and you are adorable.
 SassyNSweet
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/21/2012 6:06:26 PM
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate on this thread...pretty much everyone uses what you call "myspace angles" nowadays. Why? Because we live in a world where technology allows us to view pictures before saving them and create a picture we actually WANT to look at. People don't want to keep photos where they look crappy, they want to keep the pics that they look good in. Therefore, the majority of shots people have of themselves are the good ones. This makes sense to me. Most people look horrible in dead-on, straight ahead pictures (think of your driver's or passport - ugh!) and are not going to post those.

What annoys me more is when guys who are obviously super fit and state in their profiles that they want someone fit like them, end up emailing me and trying to initiate something. My profile clearly states I'm a. overweight and b. not a barbie. Additionally, I always mention it right off the bat. But yet they always go "you don't look chubby in your pictures" (which in itself is a lie lol)...FFS - READ MY PROFILE, don't just go on the pics. I always read someone's profile AND look at their pics. And if they tell me something about themselves, I don't try to argue those comments away - I believe them.

I think that in online dating, just like anywhere else, you have to use a bit of common sense.
 RDR63
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 6:10:14 PM
^Yeah, I agree, and I also do look at both pictures and the profile, but I just can't stand people who try and trick you into thinking they look better than they actually do...if it ever got to the point where we'd meet, I'd eventually find out.

Like I said, I'm not the best-looking guy myself, and if I wanted, I could use MySpace angles to help fix that, but why? I'd rather just take a head-on picture and not bullshit my way into people's hearts (because people DO care about looks, whether they'd admit it or not).
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/21/2012 6:14:49 PM
It is a glass half full / half empty scenario.

Glass Half Full People - See it as one more to cross off the list and glad they did not have to waste time on them.

Glass Half Empty People - See it as something they do not like and choose to complain about it.

At the end of the day it is either a good thing or a bad thing, purely based on your perspective.
 LabradorOokpik
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:25:40 PM
Completely agree, but don't you think these people are setting themselves up for an inevitable let down by doing this? If they fooled you and then when you meet the person, and they look a lot worse in person you're going to bail asap, and never talk to them again, so whats the point?

I think some people (I'm just using a female in my example, but some men have deceitful profiles too) will lie about their body types, weight, height, job, age, WHATEVER but meet the person they've been chatting with in the hopes that that person will think "well, she's bigger than she said, but she's great on the inside, we have great rapport...what the hell, I like her anyway, I'll keep seeing her". I think that they hope that their personality will win the person over. Of course, it usually doesn't happen that way, and I understand...I would have no interest in someone who lied either, about anything. I am big, and when I'm actively looking on POF I post a full-body shot so that there are no surprises or delusions.
 jdawg4876
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:32:07 PM
I agree OP thats why I dont wear hats to try and hide the fact that im going bald it doesnt really bother me but can be deal breakers for some girls
 GothNerd666
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:52:46 PM
Most are just nervous or self concious about how they look and how they're judge
 daynadaze
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:52:59 PM
I don't know, probably because so many tell people to do things like that. It is nice to know that you don't at all.
 RDR63
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:06:23 PM
@Goth

I am too, but I still am honest with my pictures...
 christyis4real
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:50:38 PM
Because some dead on pictures make some people look like convicted felons ...aka...mugshot. Angle pics shouldn't make MUCH of a difference. A little less chubby faced perhaps.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do so many women here have deceitful pictures?