Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Single rose or more a good 1st date idea?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ToySoldierMan
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Single rose or more a good 1st date idea?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I could add the color of the rose as well. Red or white? Do women read too much into the color of a rose or roses on a first date. Is this post a waste of time?

Is it being too forward on a 1st date? Of course I treat for the dinner meal. I tend to stick to the traditional dinner meal date... or coffee if her time is tight due to kids/work.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Single rose or more a good 1st date idea?
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:55:23 PM
A rose, as long as it's not red, is fine. However, maybe not on a first date whereas your idea for dinner is plentiful!
 Landra2
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:59:58 PM
A single rose doesn't have any impact.
It's the wuss of floral tributes.
 Lionessx
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:00:33 PM

girls seemingly get freaked out about those gestures these days...

Yes Boon Dock romantic gestures are getting to be a thing of the past

Personally I love it when I get a rose from a man whether it be red, white , pink or yellow.
 DameWrite
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:02:04 PM
I wouldn't suggest a rose, too much for a first date whether red, yellow, pink or?
Pick a wild flower that is in season, (even if it's from the flower shop), much sweeter and no implications. Hopefully she doesn't have allergies! One of my dates brought me the type of licorice I had posted was my favorite. Now that was sweet!
 janedoe16
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:04:13 PM
I think bringing a rose is very sweet but save it for after you know each other better.If you bring it too soon she may feel you do it for all your first dates ( which you surely never have done before....) and then it would lose its meaning and feel more like a player move.
 TlGER
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:10:45 PM
I am a very romantic chap but I do not take flowers on my first dates unless ive been communicating with them first for a good while. I definitely would not take red roses on the first date! I tend to go for Orange roses first if they have not stated a favourite colour. They are a bit different and ladies usually like them. On a first date I would take something small that you can give them at the end whilst bidding them farewell. Something like a birth stone in a little gift box. Women like those kind of things. Tiger Eye or Aquamarine etc.
 ToySoldierMan
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:14:13 PM
I've only done it once (my Late-Wife Audra) on a first date but we had been going back and forth for a few months before actually meeting. We met thru MySpace so it wasnt a date site.

I like DameRight's idea of selecting something she's fond of off her profile. Obvious but something that wasnt obvious to me. ;)
 tjl503
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:20:30 PM
I wouldn't give her anything on the first date, if you like her enough to go on a third date with her you can do something thoughtful like giving her flowers. Be unique though, give her something that isn't going to die in a week. A flower basket or something in a pot. Find out what her favorite type of flower is and surprise her with it but wait until she means something to you before you give it.
 Maleman999
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 2:37:21 PM
Are you talking about the initial meet-and-greet or an official first date after the meet? If it's an initial meet, it's best not to bring any kind of gift. There's only one reason for an in initial meet. The woman must see you in person and she will decided in a few seconds if pass the "Instant Chemistry" (Instant physical attraction) test. If you fail the Instant Attraction test (9 times out 10, you will. Women have extremely high fairy tale expectations), you could buy a thousand dollars worth of roses and she still won't change her mind about you being a loser and never wanting to see you again. So save the roses and any other gifts until you pass that test first.
 Former_Yamaha650_Rider
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/27/2012 3:51:46 PM
Why would you want to bring anyone anything on a first date?
I really don't understand the purpose. You don't even know her so why a gift?
 SassyNSweet
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:08:25 PM
If it's your first official "date", then I think a flower is okay. Just one, not a ton. If it is your first face to face "meet and greet" then I wouldn't get a flower as it just makes it awkward if there is no chemistry. In person chemistry needs to be established before you start doing romantic gestures. :) IMO anyways...
 rec_diver
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:37:52 PM
One or more flowers or items signifying romance on a first official date.. or even second or third date is the lamest of the lame.

If we're talking a very first meetup.. it's pathetically lame.

Then again I once brought a gift wrapped marshamallow to a first date and almost lost my hand... true story.
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:30:45 PM
Don't bring a rose! You are subconsciously telling her that to be in her presence you need to hand her some gift or tangible. Just bring yourself and if things rise up to a level of seriousness....then bring roses into the picture. Then it has much more value and significance.
 xfact0r3
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:36:20 PM
I wouldn't do it from past experiences. I gave 2 girls a single rose and both kind of freaked out. I don't know what it is but most females don't like Chivalry anymore. Yet they always clamor for the good guy but continue to talk to the dbags. I would just try and hit it off with her first. After a couple dates THEN give her a rose. A girl freaks I guess because a rose is a symbol of love and on the first date thats a bit too much i suppose. Crazies lol
 qualityl
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:43:58 PM
I think it is awesome! It shows you have a big heart. Even if the 1st date does not become a 2nd date. She will always remember your date, and what a gentleman she went out with. Wished more men thought like you.
 SilverLight
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:02:02 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable with a flower on the first date. To me, a first "date" is a meeting. Just that. The roses, candlelit dinners, etc come after you've felt that spark. Coffee or a simple meal somewhere is best for that initial meeting.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:46:10 PM
First meet where we've never met face to face? Absolutely not. Out of place.

First date where we've met and wanted to make plans to hang out again? Sure - any color is fine.
 forumitejunkie
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 7:55:35 PM
Well...OP, one fellow with whom I msgd, then talked for a bit, showed up to our first meet with a bar of Almond Joy. As he drove to meet me, he recalled an early conversation in which I mentioned this was my favorite candybar, and thought "Why not?" I'd totally forgotten about the conversation, but of course he had to be right about it because...it IS my favorite.

I have to tell you, I can't speak for everyone but, for me? That tiny, and inexpensive, gesture put a smile on my face for the evening, which went from drinks, to dinner, to coffee thereafter....It was both thoughtful (he'd clearly paid attention to what I had said) AND playful...a win-win.

Maybe try something like that.....a rose would have made me feel a bit odd, to be honest.
 notnomadic
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 10:49:42 PM
I can't imagine flowers ever being a bad idea. My husband brought me a dozen roses on our first date, and it was completely adorable of him. A single rose is lovely--either that or a bouquet, whatever--either way what it says is "I'm excited and want to show you that!". Why question it? If you click it's all good. If you don't, what's the harm in her having something she can enjoy anyway. I think it's easy to overthink things, but flowers (unless she's allergic) will never be a bad thing.
 0ldhag
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/27/2012 10:53:27 PM
I would feel soo stupid if a guy brought me a rose on our first meeting..

It's so obvious that he's trying to "woo" me and thats such a turn-off..I can't even get to know the guy normally because i'd just keep thinking he wants to sleep with me...

Try something more subtle, so the girl can see you as a friend first..

With a rose, comes expecatation... don't make her feel she "owes" you something in return for a coffee date..
 NarcissusTemple
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:28:32 PM
I'd go for a single Amorphophallus titanum over a rose. But that's prolly just me.
 ToySoldierMan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:47:49 PM
Ok vote tallied. No rose(s). Got it.
 HeathV2012
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:44:21 AM
Man this topic of flowers is a headache let me tell you something. My father is a gardener major plant nut I grew up around all sorts of flower and stuff. I knew that some things had meaning and well I wanted to do something nice. I did some research not only does the type of flower have meaning but the number and colors can effect it as well. Some colors mean friendship others love. One thing I read said never give a woman Roses on the first meeting it implies love doing a dozen would be going to far after just meeting. A white rose would probably be fine but one would do it. From what I read the Carnation should be given a single carnation or a small buke. I started reading others input and a lot of them associated Carnations with high school prom some even said they seemed cheap. Honestly I think if you can figure out what she likes get her those but you may not know yet. Personally if a woman thinks a gift of Carnations is cheap I don't need her. I gave a girl I knew a dozen Roses she said they were nice and never talked to me again.

I wouldn't give flowers on a first date.
 What_He_Said
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/28/2012 4:37:59 AM
A thoughtful idea and the sentiment may be well placed.

However, It stands a good chance of being perceived as over-the-top and could in fact send alarm bells.

You might consider instead something a little more than a coffee meet and greet but less full blown than a real 1st date. The heart is in the right direction but it wouldn't make her leery about you.

Save the rose(s) until things progress a little further down the line should things go well.

Best of luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Single rose or more a good 1st date idea?