Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > travel in opposite paths at once???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kailania
Msg: 1
travel in opposite paths at once???Page 1 of 1    
I read this today, it was sent to me in an email.
can anyone explain this?
I dont know how someone can travel two opposite paths at once.
how can a person travel two opposite paths at once? the following is my email:

no person can know his own inner motives.
He may be kind because kindness brings him pleasure.
He may be wise because wisdom is music to his soul.
He may become a martyr burned in fire because his nature is to defy, his nature is to be fire.
When can you know that your motives are sincere? Only when it is not within your nature to do this thing.
And how do you know that it is not within your nature? Only when you travel two opposite paths at once.
 Wolfpath
Msg: 2
view profile
History
travel in opposite paths at once???
Posted: 1/31/2012 5:31:28 PM
What an interesting concept. ;)
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/31/2012 5:40:30 PM

Only when you travel two opposite paths at once.

To succeed you must fail.

So you seek failure by trying things that are beyond your abilities, knowing that doing so will make you stronger and better for it.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2012 5:43:26 PM

how can a person travel two opposite paths at once?

Allegorically, it means that which travels in opposition tends to cancel itself out; thus no ying or yang; what is left at the core. Nothing, no ulterior motives or secondary gain. And this is something completely unnatural for humans to be like.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2012 6:01:00 PM
Sounds like you must rob a bank
to realize you shouldn't be robbing a bank.

For some...our nature is an impediment that holds us back.
So we must go beyond it to be happy.
However that is an extreme view.

Climbing a sheer cliff can exhilarate some.
But most would prefer tamer activities that can still give us joy.

We can change our nature.
But very hard to go against it.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2012 9:33:08 PM
Here's how I interpret it.

I consider myself to be non-violent, and haven't thrown a punch since Jr. High. But if someone I loved was physically threatened I might well become violent in my protection efforts. Could I then return to my non-violent ways? How would that affect my sense of self?

Many of us find ourselves doing things we might never have imagined when faced with a difficult situation with no easy choice. Or maybe the easy choice goes counter to what we thought our nature was. What we do and how we incorporate that into who we become I think is where this was headed. Our nature may find itself in conflict, pulling us in two directions at once. Doing what we feel we must do without sacrificing what matters to us is the true challenge.

I might have that all wrong, but that's what it said to me.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/1/2012 1:31:18 AM
When you are feeling torn in two directions, your desires travel along opposite paths at once. Neither path is one you can take with ease, so you have not followed an impulse from within your nature.

Not for want of pleasure, yearning for beauty, or from burning passion have you chosen. Rather, you have examined your heart. And thus you know your motives are sincere.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:10:55 AM

When can you know that your motives are sincere? Only when it is not within your nature to do this thing.

It is not in my nature to run into burning buildings, but hearing someone/an animal screaming while they are on fire would send me flying in or at least try and get them out.

So my lack of wanting to be tormented by the screams or is it my desire to save someone from being burned to death my real intention with no regards to harming myself?
It doesn't matter WHY to me.

I do not take time to think in situations like that. I just react as most people would.
Maybe sitting on a rock to comptemplate what I should do is just not me.

I react to situations..I do not sit and think about them when a decision is needed right then and there.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:15:29 PM
I've had the experience of traveling two opposite paths at once.... I kept tripping over my own feet. I was born under the sign of the twins incidentally.

Once I got both twins walking together I've doubled the worth of everything I've experienced.
 Colemin8r
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 6:26:56 AM
it's a quote by Rabbi Tzvi Freeman - “Real Motives” and I only knew that by googling that phrase the OP was querying.

Good example of "travel two opposite paths at once" is the character Walter White from Breaking Bad who is doing exactly that - trying to get his family life together, but deep down secretly becoming Heisenberg.
 kailania
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/3/2012 6:21:03 PM
Yes, but Rabbi Freeman was quoting the Rebbe.

I am still at loss to understand this.
maybe I will write to the rabbi himself.

but what you said makes a bit more sense..to be trying to get your life together while secretly becoming someone else. hmmm
but does that fit the question asked?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > travel in opposite paths at once???