Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Are we wimps regarding snow      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 1
Are we wimps regarding snowPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
OMG its snowing!! Pictures on the web showing a covering no thicker than a coat of paint.
Why is it the UK comes to a grinding halt when it snows. I have snown snow fall so fast in other countries that the car is completely covered overnight but it stops very little.
 seymore.fish
Msg: 2
Are we wimps regarding snow
Posted: 2/4/2012 4:57:21 PM
i like the send in your pics to radio/tv stations ,like its something new.....and yes we are
 DarkGem
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 5:04:51 PM
Definitely! It seems that any deviation from the 'norm' causes things to slow down or stop. I remember walking to school in the snow. No buses etc but you were expected to make you way in despite the snow being knee high.

People who live in countries where they get regular heavy snow fall must look at the UK and wonder what's up with us ...
 seymore.fish
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/4/2012 5:07:54 PM
still its a day off work
 Vortices
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/4/2012 5:09:45 PM
Just coming home in the van skidding down the lanes back from a party at some posh twots big house.
Met this chick called Keira says she is in films,taking her back to mine for coffee.;)
im living the dream while you lot are sat in your harry potter jim jams on pof.

sent from ifone 4 .
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/4/2012 5:44:48 PM
Great so why are you on the forums or did she not give out lol
 Geordie_Colin
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/4/2012 6:22:57 PM
Just got back from a lovely evening in London .
There was no toilets on the train and a stop outside of Crystal Palace station of one and a half hours. Luckily there was one carriage without heating so when everyone vacated it I used a Ltr bottle to get rid of my excesses from the evening. After that even women went in that carriage and pissed in the bins.
Honestly.
Totally unprepared out of London serving the South East.
 HuggableHarry
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/4/2012 6:36:10 PM
Its n excuse to get off work and take to the local hills with ones sledge !!!!

ladypenelope007
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 7:36:48 PM
Nope lol try living up north polar bear city, north-east. Year before last we had snow from mid october on and off straight thru til end march, im talking snow, I couldnt see my car in the driveway, I couldnt get out my back door, ventured out my front door and was knee high in the stuff and I live in the city here so no wimp when it comes to snow
 steve10100
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/5/2012 1:45:32 AM
Snow is the perfect excuse for a day off work. I do it all the time, get the kids rapped up, snowman, sledging, snowball fights. Its not about being a wimp for me, get out their and enjoy it, it never stay's for long anyway.
 _nx_
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/5/2012 2:04:33 AM

Just coming home in the van skidding down the lanes back from a party at some posh twots big house.
Met this chick called Keira says she is in films,taking her back to mine for coffee.;)
im living the dream while you lot are sat in your harry potter jim jams on pof.

sent from ifone 4 .

hahaha what a knob thing to do... so you finally find someone to take back for coffee... and you react by posting on pof... no doubt keira will be flattered that she had such impact on you.... and you have the audacity to insult the rest of us for being on pof.... at least we (most of us im assuming) dont post in the company of our potential shags.....

methinks some ones nose is growing...

and just for the record... having coffee with keira isnt my dream...
 theoldbill
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/5/2012 2:08:38 AM
Well, I went out last night, after wondering if I should. And about 27 of expected 29 turned up. By the time the event got underway it was an inch or so thick, and quite bad at the end of the night. This was in the hilly bit of Essex and Chingford.

We did finish a bit sharpish and a bit earlier, but travel home was slow but ok. But, if everyone had decided to go out and ignore the snow I think it would have been chaos, quite frankly.

I think this country is getting it's act together when it comes to snow, but it is because it happens all too infrequently (apologies to the Aberdeen poster) that we just are not good at it.

And I now have to decide if I should go to a birthday lunch today!!!
 ~Hams~
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 2:58:15 AM
I was up at 6am this morning for my usual run around town and didn't feel
cold at all so I kept my shorts on and wore my West Ham top to celebrate our win against Millwall yesterday.
On my way back home I was attacked with snow balls by by a large gang of kids but managed to throw several back (snow balls not kids) so I wouldn't say were wimps regarding the snow.
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/5/2012 3:03:17 AM
Hmm a couple of posts using it as an excuse for a day off !! Just as well they aren't responsible for supplying electricity or any one of the 100s of essential services .
 marcochampo
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/5/2012 3:23:57 AM
was going to go out last night ,, as it stopped snowing around 11ish .. ordered a taxi waited 15mins .. and thought it would be better staying in ,as the weather was affecting the driving conditions.. so i cancelled the taxi... A few more whiskeys re - ordered the taxi and went out at 1ish... Was amazed that as this snow fall had been forecast for well over a week and major roads weren't being gritted around oldham..
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/5/2012 3:50:27 AM
I went out and it was fairly lethal on the roads . Im used to snow driving butits funny how people have to drive up your backside, slam on the brakes and then not get going again on the slightest hill. I suppose that not being subject to constant snowy conditions we dont include it in part of the driving test.
 indinile
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 3:51:33 AM
not wimps... I can't afford to have an accident in my car, no matter how minor. Any journey has to be risk assessed ..problem is going to work is a necessity. I love the snow...it's not here long enough to make permanent provision for it, yet when it lingers it creates havoc. What a good set of drivers out last night across Doncaster, taking it easy and being polite...damn that pedestrian who could not wait till the cars had passed and just had to press the zebra crossing button..are they stuipid or what? he only had to wait a few seconds while we passed..blooming trigger happy land lubber!
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:02:49 AM
I'm still trying to figure out where these massive snowfall's are around London. So far seems the average is between 2" and 8". I can't understand why it's causing so much problem other than drivers down here just don't know how to drive in snow. If things are this bad with a smattering of light, soft snow then it's going to be total chaos if it freezes.

Major problems on M25 and think it was M40 but looking at the photo's, there is no reason for all the accidents other than poor quality driving and not driving to the road conditions.

I got up this morning, cleared the snow off my car and went to get my shopping as usual. Didn't encounter a single problem with the roads, but then I have driven in snow plenty of times in Scotland.
 ifixpcs
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:21:27 AM
As for driving in the snow a combination of fat low profile tyres and rear wheel drive means i wont be going out in it in my car - on the continent winter tyres a law and make a hell of a difference but difficult to justify the cost over here. beacuse we dont get enough snow it is more expensive to make the investment either personally or nationally on the tools to ensure everything runs - cheaper to shut down for a few days
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:34:08 AM
Cheaper to shut down for a few days?? Really !! Most businesses work on a profit margin of about 5% So close down for a couple of days brings the icing on the cake fairly close to no profit. Then the businesses close while our continental competitors keep going.
I once had a member of staff winge that they could not drive the mile to work. I asked er when they cut her legs off .
Got to agree low profiles dont have much grip .
 ifixpcs
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:46:18 AM
A few good ponts made there OneOnOwn but most businesses (including mine) do not need to shut down completely - also that revenue is only lost on that day and will recover fairly quickly, however i was refering to the cost to the country in having (for instance) snow ploughs idle for 11.5 months of the year, heating railway lines etc which would require investment of hundreds of billions of pounds and the cost to the individual of snow tyres, four wheel drive vehicles, heated garages etc
 OneOnOwn
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/5/2012 8:48:09 AM
I see where some busineses might be able to recover but as you know putting off non essential purchases ie new 3 piece suite etc for another few days, weeks, months slows down a business and you only have to look at the high street and company profits to see that.
Somehow other countries manage to organise themselves. After all we have fire engnes that sit idle for long periods of time.
Yes we have gritting lorries with snow ploughs idle. So unbolt the plough, detatch the gritter
Doesn't take a genius to do that and use for something else.
I do however think the wimpish behaviour rules.
Imagine if it snowed and there was a major accident on the Ml .We expect the police, ambulance, breakdown, hospitals to have struggled through the snow. Can you imagine what would happen if they all said oh its snowing Im not going to go to work. !!
 Vestan__Pance
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/5/2012 8:53:15 AM
You southern softies get a day off work when it snows!! I take it that's unpaid leave?
 ifixpcs
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/5/2012 9:01:27 AM
I get your point and respect you for not indulging in soft southerner type argument - I was not suggesting that the weather was an excuse for not attending work (although I think under certain circumstances it is justifiable) I was trying to make the point that it was not worth the investment in infrastructure. There are certainly things which the individual can do eg. check tyre pressures, make sure battery is in good condition. It is worth mentioning that there is a greater culture of commuting in the south so transport is a huge issue trains, buses, roads etc and the population density is higher so the effect is greater in the south generally than in the north (which is generally better prepared) have to agree there is little excuse for airport runways and the like to shut down
 BobHaro
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 10:30:17 AM
It's the health and safety tossers at work I'm afraid, plus many people seem to think you can drive exactly the same in snow as you can in the dry....
People are uneducated even to the most simple degree regarding snow. Take this example: A person gets their car, starts it and attempts to drive away...one wheel spins and that's it...they go nowhere.
I get into the same car, start it and I drive away, one wheel slipping slightly.

The simple difference...in a front wheel drive car I pressed the brake pedal slightly as I drove off and in a rear wheel drive car I pulled up the handbrake slightly as I drove away.

Any proportion of the turning force that was applied to the spinning wheel that is taken away by the slight application of the brake, is transferred to the wheel that isn't spinning...it's as simple as that.

This is very basic driving education.

Bob.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Are we wimps regarding snow