Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > frugal meals for penniless      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 plenilunius
Msg: 1
frugal meals for pennilessPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
hello, I would welcome any suggestions concerning meals that can be created when on a tight budget. What do you think? What do you recollect from your university days? I am curious to see.
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
frugal meals for penniless
Posted: 2/6/2012 10:29:49 AM
ramen noodles and tuna, get tuna in oil for extra calories and fullness

peanut butter on bread

make some rice and have w/ hamburger and ketcup

ranch style beans and tortillas............. also hit all the dollar menu places for lunch and use coupons for lunch specials, use coupons for Arbys or wherever for specials.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/6/2012 11:35:25 AM
You can do LOTS with eggs.

My favorite is:

cracking 3 eggs into a bowl, scramble with fork
add about 4 tablespoons flour and some salt
mix until thick (adjust flour to your liking)

Boil some chicken broth, and drop by teaspoon full into boiling broth.
Let simmer for 3 to 5 min.

Eat!

If you are really frugal purchase a chicken and make your own stock.
 dsljim
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 12:15:41 PM
Learn how to grow your own food!
Learn how to cook your own food!
Learn how to keep chickens!
Learn how good eggs are for you if you don't feed chickens corn.
Buy at the farm where the food was grown.
Next best thing, hit the farmers market.
Hit the farmers market at closing time, fresh food doesnt keep,they're probably going to throw it away when they get home, so buy in quantity and fill your freezer or learn to can.
Buy food in larger quanities at wholesale outlets.
Go buy the largest bag you can find of, potatoes, white rice,and dry beans, in a couple months plant a couple pounds of those beans and by fall you will have more beans than you can eat in the next year, same with the potatoes.
There is a book on finding food in the wild, can't remember the name?
 Buckets_of_Sky
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 12:42:32 PM
Beans and rice. Cheap, easy to make and change up to make interesting and full of protein and fiber.
 Dovelett
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 1:47:29 PM
Beans protein make many dishes
tomato sauce makes soups-sauces-pizza on bread
tortillas so many things can be spread on -place anything in them mirco or bake
homemade fresh pasta
chicken for chicken salads- salads- soups -stretch those bones n fat for flavorful broth
cauliflower as mashed taters or pizza crust
grilled cheese sandwiches
tomato pies
fruit salads with jello
qinano or chia seeds
hamburger that can be made into casseroles-burgers- cooked with onions n etc. rolled into tortillas.
The list goes on and on.
Celery cooked or celery n peanut butter
peanut butter jelly
meatloaves
 veevee
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/6/2012 4:41:32 PM
Ramen and a big bag of rice, onions, potatoes, sticks of margarine, cottage cheese, salsa. Under 20 a week for food.

You make the ramen but only use 1/2 or less of the packet.
Take those extra packet leavin's using them to flavor the rice along with onions and a pat of the margarine. If you have any veggies around they can go in too in the last minute of cooking.

Potatoes are cheap and easy to cook.
Microwave a potato and pour some salsa and cottage cheese on it for those rich nights. If you can't afford salsa you can hit taco bell and pick up some packets but the cottage cheese makes it yum no matter what red seasoning you use in tandem.

The potatoes and onions with a pat of butter fried together make for a breakfast type meal.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 4:58:25 PM
in a previous life, I was so broke I couldn't buy sugar and flour on the same pay check!!! I sure went thru a lot of rice and beans which are traditionally inexpensive ...

I remember making cornbread from one of those cheap mix boxes that cost a few cents and all I had to add was an egg and water ... I've been very creative with cornbread ... like baking it on top of chili beans ... maybe add hot dog pennies to the batter! versatile stuff, corn bread!

you can buy food made by other than name brands ... the name brands usually make the same food for the brand X products anyway ...

of course ramen-type noodles where you can toss in anything you have ... I used to love ramen soups ... they were never the same twice ...

I could buy a package of raw chicken legs and thighs fairly cheap ... which can be boiled, creating wonderful chicken broth or soup ... the bones, fat and skin can be discarded and you have plain chicken to turn into sandwiches, enchiladas, add to rice, put in the soup, onto pizza, just about anything ...

I remember ... back then ... thinking that if I had enough money for Pepsi and Fritos every weekend, I'd be wealthy!!!

that was really a wonderful time of my life ...

EDIT to dsljim: why is corn bad for chickens? I used to feed my chickens cracked corn as a treat at least once a week ... they LOVED it ... they'd all come running when they saw me with cracked corn!! so ... what's wrong with feeding corn to chickens?
 laskoboo
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:08:26 PM
buy a HUGE bag of rice and beans... always have some made... you can use the rice in anything and the beans in soup or salad, or just mash with a fork and add some ketchup.. and oh get a HUGE bottle of ketcup and mustard too.

pinto beans are good.
you can mash them after cooking and add spices to maske refried beans by throwing a little cheese on top.
add water to the mash and make dip.
if you have eggs and sugar you can use rice to make rice pudding.
 dsljim
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 7:07:08 PM
Watch the movie foodinc. It's on YouTube.
Twice a day I dig down a foot to put the worms,seeds,roots,and other goodies up on top for my chickens, they run to the hole and wait for me to dig. Years ago, corn fed eggs contained bad cholesterol, now you can add roundup and genetically modified organisms ( GMO ) Which are sterilizing animals and humans and causing " leaky gut syndrome," which has lots of fancy names like celiacs and diverticulitis for starters. People with food allergies are the lucky few whose bodies still recognize poisons and in turn make us sick so we know to stop eating them.
 plenilunius
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/7/2012 9:14:51 AM
It's been really cold in Britain over the last couple days and I have noticed by constantly eating pasta I have been feeling very weak when I walk and without much focus on my daily tasks. Is it due to lack of meat? I can't afford to purchase fresh or organic poultry or the likes so I think I will have to carry on feeding myself by having plenty of baked beans on toast
 TooShadows
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 4:31:11 PM
What's on hand right now? Are your cupboards completely bare or is there something in the nooks and crannies or maybe in the freezer? Time to start using up the old stuff and leftovers.

I'm in the same situation. An unexpected layoff and a long wait for unemployment has me feeling the pinch. Check with the local food bank. I do like to stock up when things are good but there's things you can't build up supplies,like fresh vegetables. Use what money you have and make good choices and try to eat healthy. Stews are a favorite of mine and can be made with canned or frozen items.
 jojoaus
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2012 10:23:35 PM
If you are feeling a bit woozy you may well be lacking iron. Most pulses, especially soy beans, have tons of protein and are far cheaper than meat. Tofu and tempeh are also valuable sources of protein. If you can afford the odd can of salmon, have that with pasta. Eggs are protein rich too but may be a bit costly. Quinoa is a great source of protein while filling you up like a carb, but again it can be a bit pricey.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 4:09:31 PM
Hmm...since it doesn't sound like you have the space to raise your own chickens or grow your own crops, OP, I'm trying to think of ideas that will also have you eating a bit nutritionally healthy as well. (Well-intentioned advice from that particular poster, but I don't think it really applies here). Others have already suggested rice, pasta and beans. The beans will be a great source of protein for you if meat is currently out of your budget, and if you still desire meat, typically speaking (at least in my area) ground beef is also generally quite inexpensive if you care for ground beef. Pork chops (trim the fat if you can't afford lean) are also generally not that expensive here.

Oats are another inexpensive food that you could have for breakfast; I have porridge for breaky five days a week. For fruits, apples and oranges tend to be the least expensive on average in my area, so you could check your local grocer to see what's least expensive in your neck of the woods as well. Veggies? Cabbage is generally cheap, as are carrots. You could make a stew with the veggies, beans and any meat that fits your budget as well, with all of those.

Not 100% nutritionally healthy necessarily, just trying to give you some ideas for food purchases that might fit your budget but also round out your diet at the same time. Hope some of that helped. :)
 idiot_savant
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:32:15 PM
words of wisdom for ya young fella..."google is your friend...use it"
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 10:23:34 PM
i did google it there old timer. couldn't find it.

that's why i asked you to back it up.

please enlighten me oh enlightened one.

k.w.
waiting
 Trish1975
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 11:08:33 PM
I`ve had to live pay to pay with two kids. Bolongna is a good meat, so are chicken weiners usually the cheapest too. Bolongna can be fried with some onion. Used in a sandwich. And chicken weiners can be boiled, fried, bbqed or raw. can add them to spaggetti and just macaroni noodles. Some cans of condensed soup can do double duty, cream of mushroom can be soup or a sauce for pasta or a sauce for sliced potatoes. Tomato soup can be used as a pasta sauce too. my kids also liked spam slices on crackers with catsup.
 theangelworeredshoes
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/9/2012 2:06:53 AM
Lentil are cheep and nutritious I use them to make a soup use root veg and onions and a couple of table spoon of pearl barley. You can put any time of meat you like in it ,I tend to use chicken or bacon.
Lentil can also be used in curry's and dahl's bolognese dish, and I am sure I have seen recipes were they can be used to make pate and burgers.
If I had to choose one food to live off it would be lentil,I eat them all the time and i can never get enough of them
 dsljim
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 5:24:03 AM
Talk to a local butcher, often people buying a half or quarter of beef have no interest in the heart, tongue, or liver and often times the soup bones. Hocks from pigs or cows make the best soup, after cooking all afternoon add some pearled barley, couple potatoes, and a few veggies, and you got soup for a week for the price of one fast food meal.
What's in wieners, balogna,and spam? Everything that's on an animal made of meat or fat/gristle that you never see in the meat counter ,and WIENER FLAVORING!!!
 eunique1
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 8:43:33 AM
When I'm pinching my pennies I rely on a dozen eggs, a package of ham slices and a loaf of bread.
That combination is so versatile, you don't have to eat the same meal twice for a week.

* Ham & Eggs & Toast
* Omellette
* Western / Eastern Sandwhich
* Egg Sandwhich
* Ham Sandwich
* Frittata
* Baked ham

Of course it also calls for a few staples from the fridge / pantry but the basics are always ham and/or eggs.
 idiot_savant
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 12:58:18 PM
OP...do you make your own bread?...the savings there are phenominal...for about 25 cents you can bake 5 dollars worth of bread easily
 beatlesmom
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 2:03:11 PM
i love this thread. mr.savant, can you really save a lot of money making your own bread. i used to do it for my kids and they loved coming home from school to the smell of fresh baked bread. now im diabetic and finding good bread without corn syrup, dextrose or other weird chemicals that i try to avoid. so any help would be wonderful and i do use regular sugar ,brown sugar and molasess in my baking. judi
 idiot_savant
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 2:56:23 PM
i have 2 recipes for bread that have no sugar added...(altho i am sure there are some that will argue that the yeast wont rise without sugar)...but i can assure you that both breads are very tasty and rise quite nicely...one is ciabatta...the other an italian artisan loaf...both recipes are probably here in the bread archives
 Spotted_Zebra
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/9/2012 3:08:24 PM
look up working girls pasta, it's lovely :)
 idiot_savant
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2012 8:24:25 AM
are you referring to putanesca sauce?
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > frugal meals for penniless