Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 49pickup
Msg: 1
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
It seems to me that most people I meet are looking for a person to grow old and die with. Am I alone or are there others out there that still think of the future as a great and exciting place to live.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 2
Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???
Posted: 2/14/2012 10:52:50 AM
I am a Junior in College, my life hasn't really even started yet!

I have had several men write about how they have done their bucket list and now just looking forward to staying home, I am not knocking that life style but there is so much in their world to do I cant imagine not trying to do as much as possible while you still can.

When my mom was in her late 70 she was going places like Japan. I want to do as much as I can.
 wtyl
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/14/2012 10:55:27 AM
My mom and stepfather met when he was 77! (She was 'a bit' younger). Not only did they travel the world together, but she was a golfer and he took up golf. He shot his age when he reached 88.

I'm so lucky that I had him as a role model for the years I did.
 Landra2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:10:56 AM
Yes and I find a lot of them over 60 think they're going to live forever and have 2-3-5-12 more chances at finding love.
 laskoboo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:30:18 AM
As long as you have done decent financial planning and your health is ok... you can keep going long as you want.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 12:33:02 PM
What a silly question. Today, if you don't suffer from medical issues and make even a modest effort to stay healthy, you can expect to live for another 30 years. Anybody who thinks that nothing will happen in that time frame is just plain silly.

You can live an entire other life after 60, if you wish, and quite a few will make it to 100 or more. Of course you can live, love, learn, and experience as much in the next 30 as you did in the last 30.
 lacalli
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/14/2012 12:36:56 PM
God help me if they can't. It's the only thing that keeps me going.
 Pseudosadhu
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 12:45:04 PM
Not sure I understand the question so I'll just say... Hugh and Hefner.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/14/2012 1:57:17 PM
Can't recall the source --- but w/in the past week read that the average life-expectancy of people between 45 and 66 is now 93!!

Life can certainly begin again at 45, w/ retirement, or both! Granted, you might have to um, "accommodate/acquire, or forsake" a few mobility issues (osteoarthritis for one), some less-than-20/20 vision, a phone of any kind whose volume settings allow you to actually hear every word uttered, the noonday sun, hard pretzels, crunching ice, and trying to digest broccoli/ cauliflower/brussels sprouts, and beans:)

But hey: Grandma Moses began life at what? 75? I'm in!
 kamikazekate
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/14/2012 1:57:19 PM
being sixty myself, I'd like to meet a nice geezer who is spry and witty, and although we really only have the present, the future is the next thing, right? Can't go back to the past, so growing old is the only choice! At my age, I'd like to find a nice person to spend the rest of my days with, and having fun is important. I think you're talking about the kind of people who just sit and decay. I mean, at 6o, it would be unseemly to act like you're 30, wearing sky-high heels and tight pants...might scare the neighborhood dogs! But just how exciting do you want things to be? What are you looking for, if not a relationship? Travel to Europe? Cruise around the world on the QEII? I mean you don't want to go crazy and break a hip! LOL.

Me, I'd like to live with a nice guy and have a big garden, spend time at the beach, have some hens for fresh eggs, and a bee hive or two for honey, maybe teach art classes or swimming to the kids at the YMCA. Being busy and productive and creative can be exciting and satisfying.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 2:06:44 PM

Yes and I find a lot of them over 60 think they're going to live forever and have 2-3-5-12 more chances at finding love.

One will do me.
 Neonmusic
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 2:55:24 PM
God help me also. This coming year I plan to get rid of stuff and travel around the U.S. again. All I need to find is an active guy with a motor home ( I got the car to tow) and I'm off to visit wherever.
 kamikazekate
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:07:48 PM
ACTUALLY...finding a guy with a (small) motor home would be fun...I've never seen the Grand Canyon! And I could go visit all my aging relatives in Florida, Tennessee and California! LOL!
 Paderic
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:28:31 PM
I'll let you know when I hit 60...
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:33:59 PM
"Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,"

Browning might have meant that death is the best part (at least for those who believe in heaven), but I read these lines as saying "Let's have a new adventure together rather than being together so we won't be alone as we age and die."

For 25 years--from 20 to 45-I had my life planned. When I was 45, I changed my mind. My experience in the last thirteen years have taught me some lessons. One of those lessons is that there is always something else around the bend and life can take sudden and very unforeseen changes. My 30 and 40 year old self would be surprised at my soon-to-be-60 year old self.
 lacalli
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:35:41 PM

some less-than-20/20 vision, a phone of any kind whose volume settings allow you to actually hear every word uttered,

I've been finding that not seeing clearly what I look like or hearing what others have to say about me has only boosted my confidence. I have no desire for the sharp senses of my 20's.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:52:43 PM
It seems to me that most people I meet are looking for a person to grow old and die with.

Oh God no. Already had one die on me, next time I'm going first! Wouldn't mind finding someone to spend my later years and live with, though.
 laskoboo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 4:49:43 PM
well something happened to me that BLEW ME away about age... a social event and a friend of a friend... this very charming and beautiful woman as there... we chatted ( not anything but social) and later that week I find out she is almost 80 !!!
good lord...
that just freaked me out because I'm in my early 50's and thought she was younger than me. So with that, if you take care of youself, you can not only look great but be active with a social life as a senior and not even look it.
 Welsh474
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:59:54 PM
I think anything and everthing is possible after 60. New life, new love, sex, travel, further education, adventures, etc. I think most of us have found a freedom once we hit mid 40's and into our 50's and realized that the best is still to come.

Life is what you make of it. If you want to stay on the sofa and do nothing, you can. But why would you when there is some much to life to live.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/14/2012 8:16:22 PM
Welsh, I can't put it any better than you did, so I'll just say Bravo and Ditto.

IMO, you're either alive or dead. If you're alive, and you have a body that will respond to your instructions and a mind that still functions, then get out there and live. That's what I'm doing.
 zippytwo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 9:18:15 PM
Well, you'd better have a life after 60....you can't go back, you can only move forward!
 Ready_Real
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:35:49 AM
Guess what I heard this morning? About a 100 year old lady who met her prince at a senior adult daycare when she was 98. The bride wore a traditional white wedding gown, and walked down the aisle in this long dress replete with train to meet her groom! Whether/not he was standing, who gave the bride away the news feature did not share. Today when interviewed for the [NPR] program, she was asked if they are still in the honeymoon phase two years later.

Her reply?

"You bet! I feel 50!"

LathaMath
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:35:55 AM
Who needs a new life? I'm 65. Left the workforce at 44 to persue varied other interests. I don't travel but have been involved in many activites. I'm not intererested in self-gratification so much as in being useful and productive. I place a high value on personal freedom. The philosophy is constant while opportunities and interests change. I don't need anyone to define or to fulfill my life or to" start it over".
 Ready_Real
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:39:59 AM

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,"

Browning might have meant that death is the best part (at least for those who believe in heaven), but I read these lines as saying "Let's have a new adventure together rather than being together so we won't be alone as we age and die."

And have an adventure --- in real deal love -- they surely did:)

I've always loved their love story! Only recently did i realize that "Sonnets from the Portuguese" were Elizabeth's love poems to her husband --- whose term of endearments for his beloved included "my little Portuguese" given her exquisitely beautiful dark brown eyes:)

For sure, it's not all doom and gloom and futility at our st/age. Hope springs eternal (ok, Ms. Gwendolyn -- help! Who said that one??)
 nativerock
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:46:33 AM

Who needs a new life? I'm 65. Left the workforce at 44 to persue varied other interests. I don't travel but have been involved in many activites. I'm not intererested in self-gratification so much as in being useful and productive. I place a high value on personal freedom. The philosophy is constant while opportunities and interests change. I don't need anyone to define or to fulfill my life or to" start it over".

I guess my thinking is exactly like this 65 year old.. I retired at 51 and years later started to write books.. Like Latha I do not enjoy traveling I did too much of it when younger and ended up really disliking having to leave my home.. I am also not interested in self-gratification? Well I have to question this since I am very gratified working on my books. However the main purpose of them was to share them with others so they might benefit from the healthy recipes I share with them.. I guess it is a different type of self-gratification because I get true joy when they sample my food..

I also place a very high value on my freedom... I am well defined and my life is full.. So no not interested in starting over.. Or loosing what I already hold dear to me in my hand..

nativerock
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do people over sixty still think they can have a new life???