Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > using technology to count calories consumed/burned?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 me_dl
Msg: 1
using technology to count calories consumed/burned?Page 1 of 1    
Does anyone use one of those Body Bugg or Body Fit systems to track daily calories burned, etc? If so, do you like it? Do you have any recommendations?
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
using technology to count calories consumed/burned?
Posted: 2/16/2012 1:30:41 PM
I use an inexpensive electronic pedometer, that cost less than 30 dollars that tracks calories burned, steps walked. Love it.. you have a lot to choose from in the under 30 dollars price range that tracks all kinds of these things... just pick one and be sure you wear it
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/16/2012 2:03:55 PM

Does anyone use one of those Body Bugg or Body Fit systems to track daily calories burned, etc? If so, do you like it? Do you have any recommendations?

Your body has no idea what a calorie is.

Calorie: The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C (now usually defined as 4.1868 joules).

It is impossible to even come within 50% of actual calories consumed, as foods vary quite a bit and it also depends on how well you chew your food with respect to how much energy you can extract from it.

Eat real food* until your are full and chew it until it is a mash. One sign of not chewing your food enough is what comes out the other end, if it is broken and not a smooth shape, there is a good chance you are not chewing enough.

* Real Food: Is when your food had a food, if what you are eating did not eat anything itself, then it is not food and only a facsimile.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/16/2012 2:28:19 PM
^^

* Real Food: Is when your food had a food, if what you are eating did not eat anything itself, then it is not food and only a facsimile.

so fruits, vegetables, eggs, milk are not 'real foods' ? hmm. or any grains? or any types of oils, olive oil etc.? really narrows down the choices: animals, fish.
 me_dl
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:32:59 PM
Thanks, Aristotle, but I guess I should have been more specific in my question.

I am NOT looking for dietary advice or workout tips or how my feces should look. That is not what I was asking.

Instead, I would like to know if anyone has used one of those devices? What were the pros and cons? Did it help you achieve your goals? Is one device better than another?

I did a search on the forum and the only posts I saw were from 2009--just wondering if more had experiences since then.

Thanks.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:04:02 PM
so fruits, vegetables, eggs, milk are not 'real foods' ? hmm. or any grains? or any types of oils, olive oil etc.? really narrows down the choices: animals, fish.

Do plants just grow with out consuming anything?

Instead, I would like to know if anyone has used one of those devices? What were the pros and cons?...

I use a HR monitor at the gym and when I am biking that has a built in calorie counter, but again it really at best is a guess.

For a couple of years I attempted to use it as a guide of how much extra food I should add to my meals to make up for what I was burning at the gym, but it became an exercise in futility.

I tracked everything and have the excel sheets to prove it, but learned that they really mean nothing at the end of the day.

Did it help you achieve your goals?...

I didn't help me achieve my goals but it did help me re-address my goals.

I learned that I could not predict the future and setting a weight goal was completely unrealistic, so I changed my goal to:

Each day do what you can do to eat healthy and get active as much as possible.

Is one device better than another?

At the end of the day, it is best guess, so hard to say if any one is better than the other.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/17/2012 4:52:35 AM
I had one years ago and they do not do anything other than show approximately what you take in before I found out calories are not the problem and yo yo-ed a bit.

First technology like what you describe cannot tell you what YOU burn.
It also doesn't account for the difference in a snicker bar verses lean organic chicken and green beans in how it metabolizes in the body..
Your metabolic rate just breathing is different than mine or Sues and Dans.

REAL FOOD and the" calories" are burned quickly..
Your height and where you carry weight, genetics, sex, muscle to fat ratio, bones and hormones of all kinds all have to be taken into account.
Mineral contents in food count and healthy fats ect.

I could go on

Someone my weight can burn 1200-3000 calories a day just sitting on the couch depending on WHAT the calories are made of and their particular metabolic rate.

A calorie counter/rate burning calculator wont be able to know who is who or what is what.
If your goal is to lose or maintain easily and eat plentiful I would buy fresh fruits and veggies, organic dairy, nuts, beans and some organic lean meat with your money instead.

Of course there is the placebo effect it can have that may help you attaining your goal.
Whatever it is

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He didn't say that, but if it has been sprayed with chemicals or fed grains and given hormones..then it isn't unaltered by man, thus in some of our opinions not something that should be consumed on a regular basis.

The op probably just wants to shed a few or maintain and removing grains is a fabulous way to do that. No one needs grains.
 AngelWithGuns
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/17/2012 9:38:06 AM
Counting calories taken in or burned would drive me to slit my wrist with a butter knife. If you eat enough protein, good carbs and have a decent exercise regimen you can do wonders. I myself am an Atkins ( not all the fatty stuff ) but I take in A LOT of food. Good fats super low carbs and I eat all day.

I have * guessed * my calorie intake to be 4000 or so...however I am pretty muscular now and need the food. But I would never count. I have my food packed and ready to go for the day while some people are still figuring out how much is in what.

Clean up your diet, use your clothes and a full length mirror to be your guide. Instead of buying calorie gadgets, go buy a big 20oz rib eye. :)

I am by no means saying consume as much as I do...but I would not waste money on things that are not reliable.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/17/2012 11:52:45 AM
hmm I wonder how people got so ripped/in shape 100 years ago before thistechnology ?

must have been "impossible" ?

Is when your food had a food, if what you are eating did not eat anything itself,

you did say 'eat' anything, plants don't 'eat' anything in the conventional sense (that most people mean by eating, common word usage) ..but, whatever.
 soicat
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/21/2012 5:17:38 AM
The point of this technology is that if you monitor something - whether it's your caloric intake or expenditure, your spending, whatever - it motivates you to make better choices. Apparently, it works even better if you share the results with others.

I haven't tried anything other than a pedometer, but I'm eager to try some other things, perhaps caloric monitoring.
 whynothavecoffee
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/22/2012 9:56:11 AM
Hey there,

I'm a personal trainer and I use the body bugg and I love it. Nothing is 100% accurate but the important thing is to be consistent. If you use one method, always use that method. Like you said, you aren't looking for tips, or diet information or anything like that so I'm not gonna give you any. The body bugg is relatively expensive, but I picked up a few second hand for my studio and me and my clients love them.

Andrew B
 satx78218
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 9:13:45 AM
For some, this article says nothing new, but I bet for most, it's new info

Why Everything You've Been Told About Dieting Is Wrong

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/154221

One way to know if you're not overeating is to eat so that you're actually hungry at the next meal.

I think a lot of people think ANY discomfort is intolerable, like pangs of hunger.

Cut the snacking, but the carbs, and you'll be OK.

K. I. S. S.

counting calories, for months or forever, is not Simple (and very Stupid)
 me_dl
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/23/2012 4:20:28 PM
Thanks, Satx, but again, I don't need to lose weight, so I am not looking for diet or exercise tips. (I've had graduate level nutrition, and I'm in a PT program now, plus I've been a fitness instructor and personal trainer for 20 years.) I'm curious about the technology. I get asked about the gadgets and wanted some feedback from individuals who use it.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:30:49 PM
To the OP:

yes, I have the Bodymedia FIT, have had it for over a year and I love it. I believe the accuracy rate is ~95% but I can't find the links to the trials right now.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would like more insight into their activity patterns. It also gives great feedback on sleep patterns and sleep efficiency. It's not going to fit everyone's budget and it would not be helpful for those who would prefer not to see the numbers, but for fitness geeks like me it's a great tool.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:45:06 PM

It also gives great feedback on sleep patterns and sleep efficiency.

Now that is a great feature, I had no idea it did that.

Though I think if I actually knew had bad my sleep efficiency was I really wouldn't get any sleep.
 medic5678
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2012 2:34:07 PM
it's interesting to try to count, but i actually went vegan and i don't count at all. all in all, i lost 32 lbs, and i feel better than i have in years. i found counting with computer apps (i did try diets where i did this) was so stressful that it wasn't worth it. it was just too much work to keep it up.

instead, i am eating what i call a "dry vegan diet". it is ultra low in fat, no oils. i eat whenever i want, and as much as i want. i went from 230 lbs to 198. i am working nights and that makes it considerably more difficult to lose weight. when i worked days, i went down to 183 over 6 months, but i put back on 15 lbs when i went back to working nights, which tends to make you overeat because your sleep schedule is upside down. i've been stable at 198 for about 4 months. i was at 230 for about 4 years.

so yes, i tried counting calories, and it was a failure for me. hopefully i'll finish this big project i'm working on and i can go down to working 2 nights a week and start training again for 180 :).
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:51:09 PM
I have a bodymedia fit and it says I burn 4,000 to 5,000 calories per day including my workouts. Here's the thing, I am eating 1500-2,000 calories of REAL food per day (yes, I weigh, measure and track it all). According to the body media fit I should be losing more than five pounds per week but I'm just maintaining my current weight! So something's screwy here. I've even entertained the possibility that maybe I'm sleep eating or something because I've been going like this for MONTHS and I still weigh the same. Of course I feel fantastic and enjoy the exercise anyway but I'd also like to lose some weight too. - I'm hypothyroid so I'm wondering if the bodymedia fit doesn't account for my slower metabolisim??? I've thought about cutting my calories more but when I go lower than what I'm at now I start feeling really hungry because less than 1500-2000 feels really low for my size and activity level.

ANYWAY, that's my experience with the bodymedia fit.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/9/2012 4:45:36 AM

I have a bodymedia fit and it says I burn 4,000 to 5,000 calories per day including my workouts. Here's the thing, I am eating 1500-2,000 calories of REAL food per day (yes, I weigh, measure and track it all).

I would agree something is screwy there.

4 - 5K per day unless you are biking the Tour De France is very high.
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:36:16 AM

4 - 5K per day unless you are biking the Tour De France is very high.

EXACTLY! I mean I am very fat, so I'm wondering if the Bodymedia just doesn't know how to deal with all the fat. Maybe it is thinking that my body composition is more muscle than what it actually is? I don't know. I even went back to make sure that I have my age, gender, and weight inputted correctly. I also verified that I'm wearing it in the proper position.

When I'm actually exercising, it's estimating at slightly under what the machines or online calculators say I should be burning for my age/weight/gender. For example, An hour on the elliptical comes out to 900 calories on the machine and the bodymedia is telling me a 840 calorie burn.. so it's pretty close. For an hour of Zumba it's reading 950 and the online calulator says I should be burning 1150 for mid-intensity Zumba. So I think the problem is with it calculating my calories burned while I'm not exercising. I think the machine is taking my weight which is more than a hundred pounds overweight and thinking that I must be burning a lot of calories simply because I weigh a lot. Which makes sense that I'd burn more calories while exercising because I'm hauling around all this excess baggage and therefore working extremely hard.. but if I'm just sitting watching TV, I'd imagine that I should be burning calories at the same rate as anyone else and the machine is saying I burn more. Maybe it's more accurate for normal weight people.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:33:06 PM
You are going to burn more calories than an average weight person every time you move around, and yes, even watching tv, as your body is keeping itself going. I think the elliptical and Zumba numbers from the armband sound ok.

How active are you outside of the gym? Are you active during the day, standing, walking?

The biggest surprise for me was how many calories I burned doing vigorous house cleaning. Some days I would burn more cleaning than at the gym, which made me realize how silly it was to rush through my chores so I could get to the gym and finally exercise!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > using technology to count calories consumed/burned?