Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > hmmm guess im strange      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jdawg4876
Msg: 1
hmmm guess im strangePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was talking to a girl for a while getting to know her, and all of a sudden she calls me strange, so I asked why, she said bc im 26 never been married and dont have any kids something must be wrong with me lol. All I could say is sorry for being a responsible member of society and trying to make good choices about my life.
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 2
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:36:03 AM
The Japanese have no concept of sarcasm. Are you Japanese?

Seriously, was this comment face to face or was it during chat? It really sounds like her attempt at a joke.
 jdawg4876
Msg: 3
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:37:50 AM
trust me this was a conversation voice to voice there was not sarcasm or joking in her voice she was serious but thanks...

or it was the most dead pan delivery at a joke I ever heard either way it was a put off.

laskoboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:46:05 AM
So let her find a guy who is divorced, paying child support, has a venegful ex wife..... in debt and maybe she will be happy ( or in her element)

toole-eww I say.. and good luck to her.
 jdawg4876
Msg: 5
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:47:34 AM
if it was a joke and she was kidding then I feel bad but it was said as a statement, with no laugh or just joking just a pause. so I was like ahhhhh then I said what I said
 CalypsoRach
Msg: 6
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:49:03 AM
I was having this conversation yesterday. About the deadpan. I'd never heard of it before but honestly it sounds like she was being sarcastic about what she has come across in the dating world. Some people have a sarcastic sense of humour.

It's a round about a way compliment to you.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 7
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:53:50 AM
It was an idiotic thing to say..26 and you are trying to grow up and be established before committing to something you aren't prepared/ready for.

Kissing someones baby in one of your pics? Well then...........

Maybe she assumed YOU had one and was looking for that??????? Possible then disappointed and got snarky.

Ignore her and move on.
 jdawg4876
Msg: 8
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 5:55:41 AM
if ya look at the baby pic it says in all caps my nephew,folks need to read and really look at a profile I do.

Like I said im joking all the time and if it was texting I could see it being sarcastic but since it was voice to voice and no change in inflection or laugh, I just dont see it. I mean I am in the south ga to be exact most girls around my age here have been married and divorced and have at least one kid, its crazy to me.
 0ldhag
Msg: 9
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:01:02 AM
Ya, what's wrong with you! No kids?!?!? NEXT

Wolfpath
Msg: 10
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:12:16 AM
LOL . . . despite my rather wild younger years - I didn't have kids till I was your age and then some.
I heard once from one of them that "I was too old" . . but now as my youngest approaches 18, she told me shes really glad I waited.
She sees how all her friends parents are emotionally and mentally.
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 11
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:13:28 AM

Ya, what's wrong with you! No kids?!?!? NEXT

I CAN HAS KIDS IF I WANT TO!!!111!

I'm 50% of the way there, think you could pitch in the other 50%?

Oh god, I'm turning 26 in July and I don't have kids, time to get to work before I become strange.

0ldhag
Msg: 12
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:16:29 AM
^^^Sorry, lol..I think I was born strange...can't help you ^^^
 jdawg4876
Msg: 13
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:17:59 AM
Like I said I think it has to do with demographics, In the south a lot of kids get married real young and have kids, its like a tradition, but im not a typical southerner. Prob one of the reasons I have trouble finding the right girl. I like fishing but not interested in hunting or taking my car or truck thru the mud lol.
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 14
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:29:22 AM

its like a tradition, but im not a typical southerner.

It's actually more like genetics.

Humans are animals and animals like to procreate for the survival of the species.

I'm a big fan of Cracked.com and one thing that jumped out at me a few months ago when I read it is the following:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-question-youre-not-asking-should-you-go-to-college/

One part of it talks about the fact that people that go to college tend to delay having kids, almost to the point where they are a biological ticking bomb and sometimes can't eventually have kids.

I've always been against the idea of having my own kids, but even now I'm starting to rethink that based on seeing some of my friends have kids. At this point I do think I'll want to adopt if anything once they're past the diaper changing stage.

Anyone that wants to change diapers IS strange!
 darthbanker
Msg: 15
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:56:42 AM

hmmm guess im strange

Not really.

The only thing you are really noticing or saying here is
"My communication skills are not immediately compatible with everyone. And those of others are not immediately compatible with me."

I mean there are a ton of ways to read this.

There really is no guarantee what she said the reason for calling you strange is actually why she called you strange.
They are 2 different events.
One is simply labeling a feeling, the other is answering a question not necessarily quantifying the feeling.
The feeling may not actually be based on how she answered the question.
She might have just chosen that as the lesser of two evils trying to get something else out of you to move on.
 rec_diver
Msg: 16
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 6:58:10 AM
Maybe she thought you were strange for other reasons but she didn't want to give you the real reasons so she just threw that out there.
 scottey63
Msg: 17
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:03:02 AM
So you're the only single twentysomething man in the state of Georgia with any sense. So what?

Just because everyone else your age who is unmarried in your part of the world has a failed marriage (or no marriage) and kids from it, doesn't mean that you should live your life that way. Stick to your guns. I think the girl is the one who's "strange".
 colt8301
Msg: 18
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:04:22 AM

I was talking to a girl for a while getting to know her, and all of a sudden she calls me strange, so I asked why, she said bc im 26 never been married and dont have any kids something must be wrong with me lol. All I could say is sorry for being a responsible member of society and trying to make good choices about my life

Lol, you aren't truly "living a normal life" because you don't have multiple divorces and kids that you don't really want, that's what makes you strange....a$%holes never cease to amaze me..if that's what normal life is all about F%$# life....
 jdawg4876
Msg: 19
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:29:59 AM
oh im def strange according to some folks who live around me. Im not religious at all anymore. I grew up in college park georgia around mostly people of color so I am not racist or have all my pics in front of rebel flags lol. I have used various methods of birth control to make sure I dont have kids out of wedlock. Im also honest to a fault all semi strange and unusal around my area lol.

But no I think she said it bc she did think it was strange bc after what I said she said I was rude and harsh, which might be true. Like I said honest to a fault.
 bethesdafoodie
Msg: 20
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:38:43 AM

she said I was rude and harsh, which might be true. Like I said honest to a fault.

There's being honest..... and then there's being honest without any sense of decorum or respect.

If you're blatantly honest it's going to reflect in how people react to you, not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with blatant honesty, but if you're looking to date it might be wise to tone down on the rudeness and harshness in your responses in a conversation.

Otherwise they'll make any excuse they can to call you strange and use their exit strategy.
 lacalli
Msg: 21
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:39:46 AM
What I find unacceptable is you being so pissy about a comment that could have been made in jest. Who cares? If you want a relationship you're going to have to be a lot more tolerant and grow a thicker skin.
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 22
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:45:28 AM
Bro you are not the only one. I like to joke around too, so even if a bad joke is delivered I can tell the difference from a serious commentary. I have had wacko women tell me that I am strange because I am 29 and I have no kids (no they were not joking).

jdawg4876
Msg: 23
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:46:21 AM
hmm or I can be me and be happy. I didnt get that pissy. I said whats on my mind, would I like a relationship sure, am I so unhappy with my life that im going to change who I am to get that heck no sorry. I was in a 5 yr relationship that I ended bc of conflict of interest, so I highly doubt that my personality is that harsh and abrasive that im un-dateable.

exactly HK im funny as well and she said it bc she thinks it strange it was a huge turn off to me so I let my opinion be known.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 24
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:53:51 AM
I don't consider that strange, to me that's responsible. Many ppl are marrying later in life, after they've completed college & are established in their careers.
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 25
view profile
History
hmmm guess im strange
Posted: 2/18/2012 9:14:18 AM
Are you ppl serious?? Someone you just met making jokes like that? Oh HELL no! If it was a joke; NOT funny and inappropriate. If it wasn't a joke; rude and also inappropriate....Find someone else hun
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > hmmm guess im strange