Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Meet Me feature generating false messages?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Toonified
Msg: 1
Meet Me feature generating false messages?Page 1 of 1    
Today I received a message from someone saying that that the Meet Me feature told them I wanted to meet them, but I don't use the Meet Me feature at all. Could there be an issue causing it to send false messages?
 ManOfNature
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Meet Me feature generating false messages?
Posted: 2/21/2012 5:41:46 AM
That's pretty scary. I've used pay sites that send BS "flirt alerts" like that to keep users on the site. Hopefully it's a bug and POF isn't lowering itself to that level.

Personally, I don't understand the Meet Me feature. It's function appears to be analogous to "flirts" or "winks" on pay sites--to show interest without really doing anything. If I was interested in someone, I'd send them an actual message.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/21/2012 5:51:01 AM
Today I received a message from someone saying that that the Meet Me feature told them I wanted to meet them, but I don't use the Meet Me feature at all. Could there be an issue causing it to send false messages?

No.

For females the "Meet Me" is a bit different.

They are able to select "Meet Me" from any profile.

So it does not matter if you use it or not, it is still possible to receive "Meet Me" requests.

Incorrect information. This feature works the same for both males & females.

*Cowboy*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 6:58:24 AM

For females the "Meet Me" is a bit different.

They are able to select "Meet Me" from any profile.

So it does not matter if you use it or not, it is still possible to receive "Meet Me" requests.

1) I have never heard this works different for females on how they SEND meet me notices?

2) Thats not what he claimed actually. He said a woman contacted him saying that HE HAD SENT HER a meet me request.

MANY MANY people have claimed that POF is sending out false meet me requests on here on their behalf as they have never used the Meet Me program even once so it cant be user error. Mostly all women (coincidence? maybe but...) Our Admin has always denied this strongly. But I am suspecting a system glitch then at the least if POF is not purposely generating these messages.

I have gotten meet me requests from women in KY and TN and I am in Texas so something is flaky on these things somewhere. Thats should be WAY WAY out of range for meet me. This whole application could of been very nifty. It has so many problems as currently implemented that most just ignore the meet me notifications. Ones I get emailed now go straight into the trash.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/21/2012 7:07:33 AM
^^^
Thanks for pointing that out, I miss read the OP post.
 GodsChild750
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/21/2012 8:55:08 AM
I think it's a bug too.. POF sends me alot of messages about guys that want to meet me. Also, I think tthat Favorites thing is broken too. People keep selecting me as a favorite, but I have never even spoken to them. So I just delete myself off of their list..
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 9:02:01 AM

Favorites thing is broken too. People keep selecting me as a favorite, but I have never even spoken to them. So I just delete myself off of their list..
Thats because you don't understand how "favorites" work here.

Most dating sites have a way to send a "wink" or an "icebreaker" to let someone know you have interest without sending a whole message. Many here use favorites for that as POF has nothing else close.

So if they added you to their favs and didnt message consider them to have just sent you a "wink".

Cowboy
 Fernylee
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:17:50 PM
I've always had my email settings set to receive NO notifications whatsoever, so I was quite puzzled the last few days when I started receiving ' so and so wants to meet you' emails to my main inbox.. not even the junk mail.
I've checked my settings to see if something has 'slipped' but no, all ticks are in place for NO EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS.

summat's up

received today at 11.53

E***** wants to meet you! Click below to view E****'s profile:

http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=********.htm

To check your messages click on this link:
http://www.pof.com/inbox.aspx

Replies to this email will be automatically deleted. You will not receive more than 8 meet me notifications in a 24 hour period. If you do not wish to be notified by email, you can unsubscribe here: http://www.pof.com/deleteaccount.aspx

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:26:01 PM
Nothings up.

From FAQ's

How do I stop receiving PlentyOfFish email notifications?

You can turn off the New Message, Added to Favorites, and Events notifications by going to the 'Mail Settings' page and selecting your preferences.

Unfortunately, you cannot turn off the latest matches emails usually sent out on Mondays and Wednesdays. If you mark these emails as spam or junk, all other PlentyOfFish emails will be affected and you may not receive important notifications.

http://www.pof.com/faq_messaging.aspx

This also Includes Meet Me emails.
 Toonified
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:38:08 PM

MANY MANY people have claimed that POF is sending out false meet me requests on here on their behalf as they have never used the Meet Me program even once so it cant be user error. Mostly all women (coincidence? maybe but...) Our Admin has always denied this strongly. But I am suspecting a system glitch then at the least if POF is not purposely generating these messages.

Thanks, sounds like a bug then. It makes me wonder why the feature still exists if there's so many issues. It should be removed until the problems are fixed. As it is, it seems to cause more confusion than anything else.
 JaxieT
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/22/2012 3:03:47 PM
I recently/ currently have a silimar situation. I emailed a guy after getting a notice saying he wants to meet me. Not only was he kind of rude saying he said he never clicked it about once a month I get a notification that the same user wants to meet me again. This has been going on for many months. There is definitely somthing wrong with the function.
 Fernylee
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 3:57:32 PM
thanks aristotle.....
 Beachluvr56
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/11/2012 7:09:41 PM
This feature is definitely screwed up. I received an email tonight saying " so-and-so wants to meet you!" However, this person is NOT listed when I click on "Users who want to meet you." Also, when I search by Username, NO profile comes up in the search.
 jazgerk
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/12/2012 4:08:53 AM
Gonna agree with those who say the 'meet me' function is flawed. I recently received a notification that someone would like to 'meet me' from a woman of a different ethnicity, but her profile says she definitely does not date outside her race. New here & already learning to ignore the meet me notifications & only respond to direct e-mails from a member.
 Norsewind1
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2012 5:18:04 AM
What gets me about this "meet me" is the way people click on the "maybe" or "yes" without even looking at your profile, reminds me of the way scammers used to send you the message of "just looked at your profile blah blah"... and you know dam well they didn't.. the whole thing is pointless
 scutchy
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/12/2012 5:50:16 AM
I have recently had a whole series of women show up on my list as 'I would like to meet' who I definitely have not clicked 'yes' to- some that I have spoken to previously, some too far away, etc.
It happened very suddenly and I now have 20 or more on my list who I can never delete.
 PeneopDreamwevr
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/15/2012 7:30:23 PM
I definately won't b responding anymore to the "Meet Me's". No wonder I get weird messages back. I quit e-mailing peeps first anyway. If they look at my profile and they are interested, message me PLEASE!! That feature is so confusing. They need to get rid of it. Thanks for clearing it all up. : )
 acsmith72
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/16/2012 7:32:57 AM
It's not just this site. I get fake messages all the time. I think the site designers set it up that way to make sure you log in and check. The problem with stuff like this is people would be a lot more willing to pay for extra features if they got rid of the b.s. trickery, but most sites seem to think they'll get more money being dishonest. Get a membership on Friendfinder, , or even Myyearbook and you'll see it a lot more.
 acsmith72
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/16/2012 7:33:35 AM
Interesting OK Cupid is blocked from being typed if it's one word?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/16/2012 7:37:31 AM

This feature is definitely screwed up. I received an email tonight saying " so-and-so wants to meet you!" However, this person is NOT listed when I click on "Users who want to meet you." Also, when I search by Username, NO profile comes up in the search.

This happens when the person has a hidden profile.

if you log into your POF profile and then copy and paste the URL from the email in your browser you will see their profile.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Meet Me feature generating false messages?