Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Staying Fit After 40      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4ever4real
Msg: 1
Staying Fit After 40Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Ive noticed online it seems like there is a big difference in guys between the ages of 40 and 45. How hard is it for guys to stay fit after 40 and keep it up into the 50's? What age range do guys notice big changes in a womans body?
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 2
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/23/2012 6:57:38 PM
I'm not sure what your question is. I am almost as fit at 54 as I was at 40, my weight and waist size has not changed. As far as women and aging goes some women at 40 look like they are more aged that women in thier mid 50's - it will vary from person to person: thier genetic predisposition, thier lifestyle, thier living environment and how adept they are at taking care on themselves.

I am actually very lucky in that I have a very high metabolism and staying trim over the years has required me to eat a little less every year as my metabolism has slowed down. Building muscles and keeping wieght on was a challenge when I was under 30. I still probably consume more calories per day than the average 30 yr old man who is maintaining his weight. Good thing too because I love food.
 4ever4real
Msg: 3
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/23/2012 7:00:47 PM
well i know for myself if i am not on it all the time it shows in my body quick. maybe you still have it, but i was simply making an observation on the profiles i view and wanted to see how others see it.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 4
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/23/2012 7:23:15 PM
i know for myself if i am not on it all the time it shows in my body quick.

THAT is the only thing that works for most people after 30-40..

ALWAYS limiting caloric intake to a bit less than caloric output in exercise...
ALWAYS being on it most all the time (95%) and only drinking plain water instead of sugar water or alcohol water...
ALWAYS checking your weight every morning to keep aware of it and never ignore gains..

ALWAYS walking several miles daily and heavier cardio-vascular workouts/jogs/hillclimbs 3 times/week..

Everyone can see who does those things consistently and who doesn't make that effort...
No way to hide 50% more body mass than normal for ones height...

Best to socialize with other athletically inclined people who participate in hiking/sports groups, rather than those that sit home with beer/pizza just WATCHING sports...

IF one consistently observes their daily weight and makes the proper corrections when necessary in diet,
no way should ANYONE be even 10% over normal for their height, at ANY age...
 AngelWithGuns
Msg: 5
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/23/2012 10:16:45 PM
I would think this would depend on a few things. How a person has been living, their diet intake, their exercise level, their dedication, their other habits ( drinking, smoking, hitting the Hookah Pipe all the time, drug use, nutrition ) . Also genetics, etc.

Both genders have issues if they do not stick with some form of * maintenance *. It is not just on line either. Take a good look at people when you are out. The grocery store alone is like seeing profiles on here to a degree.

But yes, it is an epidemic on here as well. Especially when people describe their body type. So there really is no real * age * to call this as being an issue.
 Tah,
Msg: 6
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 1:11:42 AM
being smarter with your eating....

Out there and on this forum is some really good advice about healthy eating and what foods can be consumed at what times in the day. That advice rings true the older you get.

However once you get past 50 or 60 it is actualy healthy to carry a certain amount of weight.

Staying fit is about habit, a drunk at 20 can handle the same amount at 40 cause his/her body is conditioned to it.
 4ever4real
Msg: 7
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 2:30:46 AM
I swear Tall-IQ I think you are so right on! If you slack off for a few weeks that weight comes on like youve been a slob for years! It sucks! To stay on it I have to eat very low calories, I dont drink anything but water, coffee and tea, and I have to exercise 7 days a week! Very interesting!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 8
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 5:41:12 AM
Like the new user name and main with out the antlers OP

Men and women usually have many of the same issues after 40.

I'm like Paddy and have found MY way and am a burning machine for the first time in my life ( the last 11 years I guess would be a fair assessment that it works)
I eat a ton of food now and just do what is fun for me as far as exercise..Its almost hard to keep the weight on now unless I lift weights regularly and eat more than I want to at times...I load up on peanut butter and more fruits like bananas when I work extra weights.
I am so fortunate to have done the research and have found my personal "holy grail" way of eating.

I love food and eat a lot of it..I wont waste time counting calories.

I have to eat very low calories, I dont drink anything but water, coffee and tea, and I have to exercise 7 days a week

^^^^^^^^^^

I dont drink my food either unless its watered down cherry juice and limes but I'm going to eat.

Thats sad you still have to count calories though. Many still do though so you aren't alone.

Exercise is great, but you should have a day of rest if it is intense imo.

You don't know how to eat or what to eat FOR YOU yet or you could eat a LOT of food.
Most women and a lot of men ESP after 40..cannot continue eating grains, altered/processed foods and sugar and be slim.

You may have to try different things or a combination as I had to.

Being fit is a result of stretching and exercise with some weight resistance and walking ect. Exercise should be fun..gardening, canoeing, biking when possible.

I fell in love with yoga this year and being flexible is great..along with walking and light weights.

Being slim is just what you do or do not eat..Not how much.
Fit is exercise.

There are many threads on what to eat or not to eat from different body types and ages

There are threads on exercise or just foods.

I have found MY way after years of counting calories..
Organic when possible..

Eating thermogenic herbs and spices, keeping balanced blood sugar, consume alkalizing foods (75% is about average) and eat often...Food combining is important to me.

Getting plenty of healthy fats
Vegetables and fruits
Nuts and berries
Beans and legumes
Organic dairy ( Greek yogurt and fresh eggs) maybe some goat cheese on occasion.
Some lean meats( grass fed) no farmed fish or only have it once or twice a week

At the end of a week there should be very little in your trash can if anything in there from a food source.

After all these years it's still working for me.
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 9
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 6:47:14 AM
After 40, I look now the way that I did when I was 20. With women, changes inevitably take place and especially if you have borne children. The eating habits do change somewhat. I may treat myself to a cheat meal once a week, but in reality, my appetite has changed. Don't know if it is due to the cares of this world, but sometimes, I just don't feel like eating. This is when I find it easiest to stick to 5-6 small meals a day.

My weight is stable at 130, although I would and could go down to 120. I work out and I am zig zagging about all day long with school, work, and home life. So, no matter what I eat, it gets burned off fairly quickly.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 10
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 11:29:39 AM
Not any more difficult than any other time..lol Just more distractions as you get older..
 stayfit4life
Msg: 11
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 11:54:13 AM

Being slim is just what you do or do not eat..Not how much.

I find this very interest as it's like you are saying don't worry about calories but what you eat. Just eat the right foods and you won't gain weight. Even if you eat more then the body needs it will magically cause those excess calories to disappear

Eat a ton of food. What exactly does that mean? Eating 5 lbs of green beans is a lot of food yet very little in form of calories.

4 oz skinless chicken breast is 114-120 calories. 16 ounces would be under 500 calories and most of us would not be able to eat that much let alone more.

So we can eat more of better choice foods yet still not be eating a lot of calories. Reason we are heavier these days regardless of age is that we are simply taking in more calories then we need. We are also less active then we used to be. Add the two and we have weight issues.

Show one study that shows we can simply eat (better food) and calories won't matter.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 12
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 2:06:46 PM
I do not suggest everyone on earth can eat exactly what I do or as much and be my weight or their ideal weight.

I formed my own eating plan by trying different things, combining ideas from books I have read and suggest others do also.

Eating 5 lbs of green beans is a lot of food yet very little in form of calories.

^^^^^^^Thats a lot of food So you make part of my point.
I get full and don't need to count calories eating good foods.

I said it works for me. It would benefit anyone esp women who love to eat to try.
I have had a child and been through the change..I was a chubby kid..so many strikes I should be out.

Even if you eat more then the body needs it will magically cause those excess calories to disappear

^^^^^^^I never said that. I obviously need them.I am a calorie burning wonder of nature now..Isn't that what most people who love to eat a lot of food desire to be able to do?

it's like you are saying don't worry about calories but what you eat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That IS what I said. If what you eat is good real food you can eat a lot and not count calories.

I think I am a perfect example that someone who had to count 1200 to 1500 calories a day for years and ALWAYS hungry to stay around 130-140 when I ate what most Americans "dieting" do verses now eating close to 3000 a day ( when I started lifting again and was advised to increase calories a bit I made notes for 3 days so the calories are aprox) and stay 119 to 124 max and have for many years.

I eat a lot..Just in fruit alone I buy 25 pounds a week.
Veggies about the same.
Fats I consume 2 teaspoons of coconut oil ,a handful of walnuts twice a day, take salmon oil (3 grams) or take cod liver oil.
3-4 organic eggs every day with out fail, plus whatever else I am hungry for that limits animal flesh and cheese to aprox 4 times a week.

I go through 6 16 oz organic Greek yogurt tubs a week and a large bag of black beans.
Eat red meat twice a week and a fish twice a week max..(usually less).
Some organic cheeses.
Lots of peanut butter.

So we can eat more of better choice foods yet still not be eating a lot of calories.

^^^^^^^^^^Yes
Thus you won't be counting them because you won't need to.

Its when we consume grains, sugars, processed foods and large amounts of animal flesh/fat that calories would need to be counted from my experience.

I just happen to be able to consume a lot of calories esp in fats as most are not animal in the source.

I don't suggest everyone can eat as many calories as I do but you yourself have made points that consuming a better quality of food..you can eat more food.

I would think we all would know not every plan fits every BODY nor does everyone burn calories exactly the same, some adjustments would need to be made for each person with different needs, wants or issues.

But the basics are the same.
Being in fitness you should be happy for me..and the people I have helped regardless that no university is backing me,nor have I published any papers.

What ever you are doing certainly works for you.

I am not going to look at you and say what you do is wrong..You look very fit.

stayfit4life
Msg: 13
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 2:47:15 PM
A lot of what you say I agree. I don't agree with saying you can eat whatever you want as long as its XYZ and not worry about calories.

3000 calories/day? That seems like quite a lot of calories coming from the foods you suggest as lean proteins and veggies would take a large volume. Unless you are getting 50% of calories from fats I find it hard to see you eating 3000 calories simply from what you have listed above. But its not impossible.

Personally if I ate 3000 calories I would turn into a fatty.

Since your BMR/RMR is based on muscle etc yours would be 1200-1400 so you must be a very active person burning over 1500 calories to not gain weight. Keep it up as that is great.

Most folks will be hard pressed to burn 500 over BMR.

What I don't like is when we come across as saying calories don't matter much when it fact they are the basis of gaining or losing.
 zookie57
Msg: 14
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 3:34:34 PM

Its when we consume grains, sugars, processed foods and large amounts of animal flesh/fat that calories would need to be counted from my experience.

I just happen to be able to consume a lot of calories esp in fats as most are not animal in the source

I guess these good fats help u curb from over eating bad things?

And If u don't mind me asking u, in your option, what really turned it around for u?

U mention grains a lot,is the the biggest one in cutting out weight gain? Or do u eat any kinds of grains now that are carb free?
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 15
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 6:05:19 PM
Since your BMR/RMR is based on muscle etc

Yes it is influence by muscle mass all other things being equal but it you have a very high or low metabolic rate naturally it can far outweigh the calories burned by muscle alone. When I was in my late teens I was consuming 3000 to 4000 calories - significanly more than my father who weighed in at 210 at the time - and could not put on any weight - I was a bone rack at 125 lbs and 5'11.5". I burn fewer calories now at 205 lbs than I did at 125 lbs and I would think I have a few more lbs of muscle on my body now than I did at 125 lbs -

Personally if I ate 3000 calories I would turn into a fatty

currently I consume 2500 to 3000 calories per day to maintain my weight and if I eat the right foods in the proper combination I can eat more without putting on fat or eat the same number of calories and lose fat.
 statemachine500
Msg: 16
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 7:26:19 PM
After 40 I noticed that I didn't lean out as easily in the summer.Diet needs to be tighter,alcohol intake reduced.Exercise must be a constant,cardio and weights.Basically,men that haven't been paying their dues....it becomes more apparent after forty and accelerates....
 4ever4real
Msg: 17
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/24/2012 8:49:17 PM
Statemachine I think you are right and it goes for women too! I dont believe the people who say they are the same now as they were at 20! Come on, we have to live in reality. That is part of my problem with dating! There are either guys who let them self go and I cant bring myself to go there, or there are guys who worked hard to keep it up and they look for much younger chicks! Anyhow I really think women in menopause just dont need that much to eat! Lots of people think cause I exercsie so much I can eat anything, but I really can't!

Peppermint... I have had many profiles on here! I dont have an issue with it; I hope no one else does!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 18
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 4:35:01 AM

I guess these good fats help u curb from over eating bad things?

And If u don't mind me asking u, in your option, what really turned it around for u?

U mention grains a lot,is the the biggest one in cutting out weight gain? Or do u eat any kinds of grains now that are carb free?

No grains of any kind anymore..I tried to incorporate them at one time..I just can't eat as much as I want to and it triggers craving for bad food..

On a date occasionally or out with the gals I may have one slice of pita or a few whole grain chips..Thats rare . I have my one meal once in a while that I can feel free to have anything. usually steak.

READ labels correctly..almost everything has added sugar/"natural flavors" ( sugar) syrups ect.

Try and find store bought salsa or canned tomatoes that does not reword sugar for example.

I wont say in the beginning it is easy.But it is simple.
Most of us are coming off "diet food" and or the typical American diet.

The good fats keep me satiated, the coconut oil is thermogenic as are many spices I consume.

What turned everything around was accepting I simply cannot consume grains of any kind or I gain..I can take in hundreds of calories in good fat but except for very special occasions..can't touch grains, sugar and breads.

I tried the calorie counting for years
Being vegetarian
Going vegan..I felt deprived and got slightly anemic..low energy

It is a balance of blood sugar stabilization, alkalizing foods and combining foods that digest in the proper order, fiber rich and flavorful foods..spices as I have said.

Your taste changes..We are so used to butter and sugar in everything in the south it gets hard to tell one dish from another in taste.

Ever felt bloated or full and still had appetite to eat? That goes away.
Staring in the fridge because you are "hungry" and see fruit and dont want it? That is not hunger, that is appetite.
No dreaming of doughnut fairies.Goes away.
Commercials for pizza then drooling.Goes away.

I can eat an apple for example and I feel heat generate in my body like you would on a stair climber..its burning energy after 3 bites.

It doesnt happen over night..
In summer I eat a lot of frozen fruits..I have to as I generate heat when I eat.

No I am not a slave to exercise.
But I move.

Peppermint... I have had many profiles on here! I dont have an issue with it; I hope no one else does!

^^^^^^^^^^^
It was a compliment.

Also hope those last pounds you were fighting is coming along and maybe some of my suggestions will/have helped you.

What I don't like is when we come across as saying calories don't matter much when it fact they are the basis of gaining or losing.

I have found it not to be true..For Me as I burn them off. BUT I am very strict in WHAT I eat.

I think sharing of ideas and what we have found to work is a good thing.

If I stared eating grains and sugars..it would not be possible.

The only foods I have to watch and keep in moderation is the animal flesh and cheese..
I portion it out by serving size.

Yes it is influence by muscle mass all other things being equal but it you have a very high or low metabolic rate naturally it can far outweigh the calories burned by muscle alone. When I was in my late teens I was consuming 3000 to 4000 calories - significanly more than my father who weighed in at 210 at the time - and could not put on any weight - I was a bone rack at 125 lbs and 5'11.5". I burn fewer calories now at 205 lbs than I did at 125 lbs and I would think I have a few more lbs of muscle on my body now than I did at 125 lbs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another example after a certain age you can be fit and fabulous and not starve..Look at him!!

I will never look 20 or close to it again but I have turned my body by what I do and eat into a fat burning vessel.
I could not consume the calories and amount of food I do now in my teens because of what I ate.

Thats why age, hormones, having kids, no time to exercise excuses don't flush with me..or saying having a lot of muscle is the only variable in burning fat..

I was more muscular in my 30s but had to count..Had to work out more.
Lean "KOO zine" queen..
Energy and protein bars..

Read whats in that stuff..

if I eat the right foods in the proper combination I can eat more without putting on fat or eat the same number of calories and lose fat.

Same here..........
 4ever4real
Msg: 19
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:13:18 AM
thanks peppermint. i am gald to chat with you in a civil manner! i hope we can be friends from here on out.
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 20
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:21:42 AM

After 40, I look now the way that I did when I was 20

^^^^^^^
Me

I dont believe the people who say they are the same now as they were at 20! Come on, we have to live in reality. That is part of my problem with dating!

Are you trying to say that I am delusional, and that I don't look like I did when I was 20? Unless you knew me when I was 20, I wouldn't talk. I can say that I look when I was 20 because I do and I can. Simple. Not anyone that I have ever gone on a date with has EVER said that I do not look like my photos or ever said that I was heavier than I looked. In fact, they said I looked lighter.

On the flip side to '...we have to live in reality', I couldn't give a damn, really, what people thought of my looks 20 years ago. The reality of THAT could be that YOU don't look like you did 20 years ago.

Profiles are what they are. Who I am in person is a totally different thing.

There was a time when my weight came down, went through the roof, came down again after pregnancy. It even tipped the scale at over 200 pounds. No where in my thread did anyone read that I never had an issue with weight. But that I look now like I did as opposed to what I looked like at 20 is a fact. I don't need to lie to impress anyone
 4ever4real
Msg: 21
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:32:57 AM
i look like the same person i was when i was 20 too! but my body is not the same! my muscle mass has changed, my strength has changed, my skin is not as tight... i am 47, and i dont want to be 20! come on you know you have gone through changes. and a person always looks a little heavier in their pictures. i dont think you are delusional, just exaggerating!

...looking at your profile i do think you look your age, and there isnt anything wrong with that. give it another 4 years big changes are coming!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 22
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:41:16 AM
^^^^^^^^^

There is no reason to not be civil.
I am human as are you..If we feel attacked..We can get snippy.

Women have more in common than not and should support each other in struggles that can be overcome with some effort and a willingness to try things that has worked for someone that has had the same problems/issues and tried everything they have been taught to try and it doesn't work.

Not meaning to offend anyone.
Most men advising women that have not have our issues can't often relate to how difficult finding a program that fits and overcomes our particular weaknesses/issues ect.

Although some issues are the same. So again not set in stone.

I can't run due to a foot that was broken in 8 places with out pain..You can run.
I admire and envy that in you.
Often I dream I can run..I have to make do with speed walking or less jolting movements.

Don't claim to have all the answers for everyone.
I do think my "method" is worth 3 months of anyone's time that is serious.

I can guarantee you cannot be hungry ..I can't guarantee it wont be difficult in the beginning and you won't have an appetite for certain things for a while..
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 23
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:46:01 AM

i dont think you are delusional, just exaggerating!

As for the changes, I have gone through: when I spoke about looking like 20, those changes are subtle and not much noticeable to those that have known me for that long. I will say that my skin is still oily and feel that it has attributed to me not wrinkling as much as women who are my age. It is a booger trying to remain shine-free but it can also be a blessing, I think. No diet in the world can change it or make it better.

I think saying that I look the same at 20 than feeling the same at 20 is a bigger difference. I wouldn't want to relive what I went through throughout those years until now, and much happier at 42 than I was then. I feel like I have more choices than I thought I did. I also enjoy being around people more than I did back then.

I can say that my appetite is a little funny more so at times, just looking at food makes me not want to eat. Don't know what that is from, but sometimes feel like i have to put myself in a zone to eat those 5-6 meals a day.

You are correct in saying that muscle tone is different at our ages. I feel I am in better shape than I was all those years ago because I didn't work out as much then.
 4ever4real
Msg: 24
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:53:07 AM
well i am 47 and i can say i do not have near as many wrinkles as some women! elective sugery might help me with my vainity about other parts of my body; i hate my midrift!
 AngelWithGuns
Msg: 25
Staying Fit After 40
Posted: 2/25/2012 5:53:27 AM
I live in reality. I am bigger and stronger than I was as a Gymnast in my late teens to 20's, so now am I full of it? Hell not. I work damn hard, I do NOT count calories and I eat like a horse. Some people actually DO take care for themselves, have all matching photos and in person are better.

I agree, there are issues on dating sites about photos. Especially when people have different ones not dated and different time frames . I have met plenty of men who are one time WERE in shape, but now??? I have never in my LIFE seen so many * fit people * .

Stayfit..3000 calories will not make all of us fatties ; I eat more than that. Again, depends what you eat & what condition one is in ( eye roll ).

I live in St. Pete, want some help, hit me up. I know you do not want my look, but I do know diet and I can look at someone and tell where they can improve. And you can eat a lot of what you want, if you leave out the things that are NOT good. No need to make it so difficult. Let me know. If not? Good luck. And no, I will not charge you. This is NOT my career, but I do know what I am doing :)

Middrift comes from the kitchen and A LOT of sit ups. I do them all day. I weight more than Paddy....LOL so I am not kidding you when I say your diet will help these things. Hell with surgery....that is a band aid. You do not need that. I will come clean out your kitchen for you and show you how to do it. Again, I know you do not want my build but I think if you switched to a different diet, you would be happier.

As far as meeting fit men....probably will have to be done off line. There are some on here, but very few. And in St. Pete....most of them hang out at Gold's on 38th. NOT on here....LOL maybe some but few and far between. I have met a few at that Gym...now it is a matter of the right match. :) No big deal. No rush.

Again, e mail me if you want I can meet you and help you or not. Your call.

Edit: How is protein giving you a stomach ache??? THAT I do not get...maybe see a gastrointestinal specialist? There may be something going on you need to know....just saying....unless you are combining wrong...that alone can do you in.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Staying Fit After 40