Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ScottishIain74
Msg: 1
What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'm just wondering what people think about dating those who don't have a facebook account.

Do you think its weird or not an issue? Do you use it to vet potential dates?

I personally find Facebook a very odd concept in many ways. When concerns over identity theft and the expansion of the "surveillance state" have never been greater it seems strange that people are prepared to publish a running commentary of their lives online and share a list of everyone they know with the world. Never mind the pillocks who get themselves jail time by posting stupid comments.

I have a facebook account which as a small business owner I use primarily for business promotion and all privacy settings on maximum. Mainly because I can no longer ignore its relevance to online marketing.

However I don't see the point of announcing what I had for breakfast or where my last holiday was to the world. As for my interests, likes/dislikes, etc; everyone I know well knows all of these things, has my phone number and/or e-mail address and as far as I'm concerned it's no one elses business. I also don't want "friend requests" / "people you may know" suggestions from people I went to school with who we barely acknowledged each others existences at the time or from everyone on every mailing list I've ever joined.
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 2
What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:09:41 AM
Not an issue here..............................same could be said for Twitter though lots of my friends use it, personally I dont like it...................
 kirkstmoritz2
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:11:18 AM
It wouldn't bother me at all if a date didn't have facebook but if she has then i'll be having a good old rummage around it!
 Lusipher
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:17:41 AM
If someone has it, that is fine and if they don't, then that is fine too.

As long as people aren't being overdramatic, then I am not too fussed about what they have as their updates.

If what they say bugs me that much, then I can just hide or delete them... It's not like I am being forced to read them.
 CLJay
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:39:57 AM
I love facebook - it keeps me in touch with family and friends all over the country on a day to day basis if we wish. You can set privacy settings and nobody forces you to put down what you have for your tea! It's great for sharing photos and catch ups. Even my Dad is on it and he's 85!!
I've never been able to find any old school friends on there tho- and they're not even on friends reunited so I guess they're not that kind of folk! Doesn't make me think any worse of people that don't use it.
I can't think how putting stuff on there is any worse than having a profile on POF.
 ScottishIain74
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:40:29 AM
This is an interesting article about Facebook:

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/facebook-hit-with-lawsuits-over-timeline-and-tracking.php

Name games aside, Facebook has another, more troubling legal claim against it to deal with this week as well (also originating from Illinois, oddly:) Perrin Aikens Davis, senior vice president of Chicago publishing company Agate, is the lead plaintiff in a complaint against Facebook filed in the U.S. District Court in Northern California on Friday that accuses the social network of “unauthorized interception of electronic communication.”

Specifically, the complaint alleges that Facebook is tracking users without permission across all websites, even after they log out of Facebook, using its cookies.

As the complaint notes, “On September 26, 2011…Facebook publicly admitted that it has installed cookies on users’ computers to track the internet activity of users even after they have logged off of Facebook. The admission came only after an Australian technology blogger exposed Facebook’s practice of monitoring members who have logged out, although he brought the problems to the Defedant’s attention a year ago.”

Also:
http://lifehacker.com/5843969/facebook-is-tracking-your-every-move-on-the-web-heres-how-to-stop-it

CLJay
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:42:52 AM
In place of facebook on that extract you could put Google or Twitter or any of them.
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:45:14 AM
In place of facebook on that extract you could put Google or Twitter or any of them

I was just thinking that too........................
 ScottishIain74
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:45:22 AM
^^^^

At least Google doesn't publicly disseminate the information if your privacy settings are at the default levels.
 *rem*
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:49:12 AM
Not having a facebook account isnt a crime.
A few years ago a guy came running into my office screaming he needed a computer FAST or his life was over. He deleted his facebook account pronto. That too is not a crime but which would you prefer?

Edit.. I have a worse story about a woman that shall remain unpublished at this time.
 Coralima
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:50:43 AM
I wouldn't be giving a potential date my full name so they couldn't check facebook - which I realise makes me a cynical old witch...might do once I'd met them and vetted their sanity.
 CLJay
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:50:48 AM
Simples - never put anything in writing or on t'internet that you are going to be embaressed or ashamed of later
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:52:11 AM
A few years ago a guy came running into my office screaming he needed a computer FAST or his life was over. He deleted his facebook account pronto. That too is not a crime but which would you prefer?

Im sorry that made me laugh

We are told at work that if we post anything about work or anyone at work we will be spoken to which is fair enough but anyone with an ounce of commonsense wouldnt do that..............................
 lalby
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 9:53:55 AM
I wouldn't be adding a potential date to facebook,would only add them after if we got on really.
I have very few net friends on my facebook and they are all people i like and from a smaller more intimate site where i think we all know what the others are like.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they didn't have it some people like it others don't.
 CLJay
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:08:52 AM
We are told at work that if we post anything about work or anyone at work we will be spoken to which is fair enough but anyone with an ounce of commonsense wouldnt do that..............................

But why would you give your work access to your page??
 *rem*
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:09:13 AM

We are told at work that if we post anything about work or anyone at work we will be spoken to

The place i used to work for has introduced similar rules
 shortbutsweet63
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:14:00 AM
I think lots of places are introducing it now *rem* as norm I know where my daughter works they have.

Thing is though I never have anything juicy to post so no worries for me
 *rem*
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:19:39 AM
But why would you give your work access to your page??

Its the people you work with who you consider to be friends that are the problem.
 Pud78
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:20:26 AM
I am on facebook, however those that aren't on it I have an element of respect for as they have not felt the need to just join as everyone else has. I am no facebook as it makes it easier to share stuff with close friends who have moved far away and contacting some lost friends with some bad news. I stay not to share but because I have an interest in other people and as a voyeur.
Facebook though has given me an insight into friends that I may not have got otherwise and probably get to see more of the real them via it that it has its uses.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:25:22 AM
Facebook for me, is purely functional, mainly used to keep in touch with my son abroad, and simultaneous messaging (mainly private messaging) with family. I have few 'friends' on there, just family and a few colleagues and friends.

I never add randoms. I find it strange, not to mention invasive, when talking to a man, from here for example, when he says 'do you have facebook, add me'...er no.

Couldn't care less whether somebody has FB or not,and I dont Twitter or Tweet either...cowtow to some celebs ego? Never.

VVVVV EDIT

Can't see photos over the phone
 whenallelsefails
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:36:00 AM
we have phones.......and we can talk in real life, it's amazing, try it sometime.

completely pointless............IMHO
 lightstar1
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:46:28 AM
I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any other 'social' network - nor do I send endless/any text messages, and, guess what? I'm still able to live my life!

Past_Imperfect
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:49:57 AM

I love facebook - it keeps me in touch with family and friends all over the country on a day to day basis if we wish. You can set privacy settings and nobody forces you to put down what you have for your tea! It's great for sharing photos and catch ups.

I often get home too late to phone people, but will sometimes put my PC on and browse around my friends pages to see their pics and news. Only close friends and family have access, I'm not interested in making friends through fb, just in keeping in touch with those I have. Since most of my family are 200 miles away, and friends are spread all over the world it's a nice way to keep up to date with them, with the odd phone call now and again. In fact most phone calls I make are the result of reminders about birthdays or seeing someone's pics.

Don't think what someone else not wanting fb is an issue - so long as they don't mind me having it. As for being tracked - it just makes me laugh to think of the time and energy and money people waste on tracking people as boring as me.
 Johnnie1270
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/28/2012 10:59:33 AM
i have facebook but i almost never use it
i am not friends with my girlfriend on facebook and neither of us have updated our statuses. We joked about it last night and whether we should be friends but agrees it is utterly meaningless to us both.
i have no idea what she posts or who she talks to and no particular need to find out as I am not stalking her
 *rem*
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2012 11:02:54 AM
it just makes me laugh to think of the time and energy and money people waste on tracking people as boring as me.

You might not find it so funny when you find out who and why they do it.
MI6 used to recruit on NME (the music paper) and from facebook/myspace et al.
Certain undesireables didnt just get a visa by accident and come here.
Check out Shill Bots
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > What Do You Think About People Not on Facebook?