Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > When I block a user, can they still read the message I have sent them?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bicoastal11224
Msg: 1
view profile
History
When I block a user, can they still read the message I have sent them?Page 1 of 1    
I almost always send a polite reply when I am contacted by a user I am not interested in.
I then block them so I don't have to see their names hovering every time they are online.

Will they have the ability to read the message I sent after I block them?

If I delete the message from my Sent Messages, will they have the ability to read the message?

Thank you for your assistance.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
view profile
History
When I block a user, can they still read the message I have sent them?
Posted: 3/2/2012 5:59:20 PM
I think it's the opposite. If you block all messages and history are deleted, but you can both still see each other's profiles and thumbnails. I don't know that for sure...
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 5:19:25 AM
1) Yes he would still see your messages. The block works one way. All his messages to YOU are removed only.

2) If you block him be careful because if you replied first you are blocking YOURSELF unless this has been fixed. You block the last person posting in the thread not the sender. this was a bug in threaded messages for awhile here.

Cowboy
 Bicoastal11224
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 12:14:39 PM
Cowboy,

It appears that bug has been fixed.

Thanx
 Bicoastal11224
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2012 8:18:08 AM
When I block a user, does he have the ability to see when I am online?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/5/2012 8:26:08 AM

When I block a user, does he have the ability to see when I am online?

If you profile is not hidden yes there are ways using the search feature to see if you are online.
 Bicoastal11224
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 10:17:00 PM

If you profile is not hidden yes there are ways using the search feature to see if you are online.

May I have more details please?

I understand the blocked user is able to use the Search feature in order to VIEW my profile.
My question is: can he monitor my online presence or see my name with green dot indicating I am active on the site?
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 4:59:41 AM
Your green dot is removed and he can not add you to favorites. All YOUR messages to him remain in his inbox. He can pay to have the ability to see your last login time. Better to block and not try and reply isnt it.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/9/2012 5:23:39 AM

My question is: can he monitor my online presence or see my name with green dot indicating I am active on the site?

Cowboy explained most of it above me.

The only other things someone could do, is keep refreshing the search function to see when you show up as "on-line".
 OopstooLate
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 7:51:56 AM
You know what I want to know...
If you block a person can they still read what you write in the forums?
Like how when you block someone via FB, you and them can post on the same person's status and neither ever know it. I understand that would defeat some of the purpose of a forum, since there would be pieces of missing conversation, but all the same it would be a cool feature...
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 8:55:46 AM

You know what I want to know...
If you block a person can they still read what you write in the forums?

Well of course they can. Just like someone you block on the dating side can view your profile. Because in both cases YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A POF MEMBER to view the forums or see profiles. There is no way to ever block someone from these things.

Cowboy
 Bicoastal11224
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 1:10:01 PM

Your green dot is removed and he can not add you to favorites. All YOUR messages to him remain in his inbox. He can pay to have the ability to see your last login time.

Cowboy,
I feel this does not take the 'blocking' feature far enough. I'd be grateful if all of my messages TO HIM would be deleted. This man is a stalker and has threatened to invent a reason to report me to POF.
I suggest POF invest in stronger Privacy policies. Do I make this suggestion to csr via Email, or will you pass it on for me?
 jerseystrong00
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/30/2012 1:26:18 PM
so if i send a reply to his message and then block him, am i blocking myself or him?

just trying to find out whether i should respond and then block (so they'll read a reply that i'm not interested and then be blocked) or not respond and block.
 lightstar1
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/30/2012 1:41:06 PM
Just block, if you feel it's needed. You are blocking him from sending you further mail. He'll soon get the message (no pun intended) if he tries to send to you again.........

jagman50
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/4/2013 10:34:42 AM
If I send a message and the receipient has no opened the message, can I retract it so it isn't read
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/4/2013 10:39:17 AM
Nope, not possible. As long as it's in your "Sent" folder, the recipient has it in their mailbox and there's no way to retract it.
 jagman50
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/4/2013 2:53:51 PM
:modhammer: If I send a message and the receipent has not opened the message, can I retract it so it does not
get read
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/4/2013 3:02:59 PM
There's no reason not to believe me. If you're trying to attract the attention of a Moderator (who will give you the same answer as I have), try posting in the "Site Suggestions/Help" forum.
 bikeguy120
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/24/2013 6:04:43 PM
I msged a user, in which I then got a email notification that I got a reply..

When I went to check it out, my inbox was empty. To which I later then learned that I was blocked. No big deal to me. But I put two and two together, and i assumed when she blocked me, the msg was deleted.. It would be nice to know what the message was..
 E_Squared817
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2013 2:15:51 PM
This happened to me today, actually. Oh well. I was a little surprised, but even before she blocked me, I figured that I was wasting my time with her.
 Highflyingadored
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 4:47:04 PM
Hi there Cowboy!

I find what you wrote interesting, but as i am getting a little fed up of being on a dating site for the purpose of finding someone suitable, i.e. i have been on this particular one for quite a number of years and have met some nice men, some not so nice men and definitely some sociopathic/psychopathic types so i now feel it is time to delete the old profile!

However, i would still like to peruse the forums and offer advice in them where i feel i can assist. Is it possible to delete the account and yet log into the forums?

Thanks
 Highflyingadored
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2013 12:39:28 PM
Cheers i have hidden the profile!
 Savkat
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2013 9:45:48 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't agree, Cowboy. I blocked someone and all "Inbox" messages from that person and "Sent" messages to that person are gone. I tested this on the account of the person I blocked and the same is on their end....all "Inbox" messages and "Sent" messages from them either party are gone.

So, I am assuming that all incoming and outgoing messages of the person I blocked are deleted from their account and they have no trace of any messages from me whatsoever. Can you verify?

One other question: If they received my message to an iPhone or Android, do they still see my sent messages even after I blocked them?
 bazingacgy
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/17/2013 11:10:12 AM
Blocked feature appears to have changed.

Used to be removed messages from the blocked user and that's all.

Now it still does that, but also deletes messages in the conversation box of blocked user. However, just like if someone deletes a message from their conversations/inbox, the messages still exist. How do you find them? If user isn't hidden, find them in "contact history" tab and from there click "send message". Their portion of the conversation should show up there.

Also handy if you delete messages from sent mail and/or inbox and want to check what you wrote.

I discovered this by accident when I found a message saying "sorry not interested in talking" that I never got because it got deleted when she blocked me (no I didn't say anything nasty! some people just block everyone they don't want to talk to). Unfortunately I'm not getting email notifications anymore, so I never even noticed initially.

I guess they do it to stop people sending one nasty message then blocking someone. It means you won't get any polite "not interested" messages though.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > When I block a user, can they still read the message I have sent them?