Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Bisexuality on the site      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nightOwl73
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the sitePage 1 of 1    
"Hello,

I'm a little frustrated with POF for not having a "Searching for" section for both women and men so that my profile would show up for both men and women who are seeking women (or both women and men). I'm bisexual and I'm not specifically looking for a man or a woman right now, but I have to keep editing my profile from men to women to men to women as if I'm confused or something. I know I'm not the only bisexual person on the site. I was just hoping that perhaps this could be a change that occurs soon. I'd really appreciate it!"

The above is a message I typed out to the creators of the site. The page said "Fill out the required fields then click submit." There was no submit button. I understand they probably get a lot of stupid queries that have already been answered, but I genuinely want this to change on the site. I don't really know where to go to get this accomplished.
 coyotefeller
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/2/2012 2:34:08 PM
No doubt at your age you are
thinking the world should really
accommodate you.
Reality is a little different unfortunately.
There are lots of dating services out
there, some will cater to minorities which
you are/want at this time in your life.
Of course the more specific and narrow
your search gets the less choices you have,
and the more chance there is that money
wants to be exchanged !
Do look closely at the refined search section,
you may just find a way to zero in on those
that suit you though.
Good luck pretty girl.
 Twitch369
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/2/2012 3:12:22 PM

No doubt at your age you are
thinking the world should really
accommodate you.

That really has nothing to do with anything here. Frankly it's a valid suggestion for pof to implement as they are losing out on revenue keeping things the way they are by alienating the bisexual community. Quite frankly implementing a simple men and women under the looking for would make things a lot better for a large number of people on here and generate more revenue for the site.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 4
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/2/2012 3:33:59 PM

Quite frankly implementing a simple men and women under the looking for would make things a lot better for a large number of people on here and generate more revenue for the site.

Have you possible thought that the site is not built to handle that request, as it would dirty the data collected?

Unless you fully understand the workings of the site I do not think you could say either way what it would do to the revenue vs what it would cost to implement.

Also you would need data to back up your claim of a positive ROI.
 Thetaoofste
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 1:28:22 PM
I just joined this site and has exactly the same thought. Do they not realise that bisexual people exist? It's not rocket science, most dating sites can cope with this. I'm complaining.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:03:34 PM

I just joined this site and has exactly the same thought. Do they not realise that bisexual people exist? It's not rocket science, most dating sites can cope with this. I'm complaining.
Sure they do. They are simply not willing to make the massive changes this would create in their searches, matches etc... to accommodate a small "niche" segment of the membership. You will find most enhancements to this site for the last few years are geared to accommodate the very largest possible cross segment of the membership base. So couples, swingers, gay, bi, transexuals are all allowed as long as they can manage to fit their usage into the normal site features.

This has been requested many times and the owner has never in the history of this site that I know of, ever implemented any suggestions meant to cater to th many "niche" crowds here such as I listed above. We have requests for special search requirements often from BBW, Bi, Gay, swingers, couples, transexuals etc.. Just isnt happening here guys.

I would suggest you investigate many of the dating sites catering directly to your audience not request that mainstream dating sites make changes to accommodate you.

But the place to request changes would be by privately mailing POF Customer Service at CSR@POF.com.

Cowboy
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 7
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:21:19 PM
I know I'm not the only bisexual person on the site.

No, you’re not.

I have to keep editing my profile from men to women to men to women as if I'm confused or something.

You’d at least have to change your “looking for”. That’s the only remedy I know of. And edit the profile too if you want further changes in the text.

It’s a pain, but if you copy/save two versions to a word processor, you’ll be able to effect the change-overs in a few minutes.

Otherwise, you just alter your search terms, do the looking (and contacting) yourself and explain what you’re looking for. Some profile I’ve seen say they’re looking for men or women. But the site isn’t set up to make that very quick or convenient.
 topgun
Msg: 8
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:41:03 PM
Just a quick thought but have you considered making a second profile and having one for both options?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 9
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:44:10 PM

Just a quick thought but have you considered making a second profile and having one for both options?

Doing so, will get both profiles banned from the site.
 Dan0777
Msg: 10
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:55:32 PM
Since they won't make the changes that would cater to your request, you could try putting in your headline that you're bi.

Even if your profile said 'men' or 'women' at least you could explain in your description that you are bi (just like your headline would suggest) and that you couldn't put it in the system's option
 brian_70
Msg: 11
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:42:41 PM
ip hider grasshopper, googles your friend
 SueOfTheEast
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 4/22/2012 9:56:45 PM
I am with you on this! I'm bi too. Since there was no option to choose both men and women, I thought I would try creating two accounts. As others have mentioned, they won't allow this. What I wonder, is why not? I can't see how it would do any harm.
 izzyspint101
Msg: 13
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 8/6/2012 5:42:56 PM
I do understand the fact that it would mess with their current search engine system, but to be honest with you they should have accommodated bisexuality into their search engine in the first place and they wouldn't have this problem. There are plenty of other free sites that accommodate this fine, however none of them are very good when it comes to anything else (which is why i have stayed) . To be honest it just seems like the programmers are completely ignorant of sexuality and just didn't think about it when they wrote the search program in the first place.

Also, bisexuality is a small part of the population, but you have to take into account that the population is HUGE so a small chunk of that is actually rather a lot of people. For example 1% of a billion is still 10 million, so they are actually cutting out more people that you think.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Bisexuality on the site
Posted: 8/6/2012 8:46:43 PM
It might seem harsh to say this, POF does not have to be a serve all / meet all needs kind of site.
There are a lot of segments of the population that POF doesn't suit.
For example, it isn't open to all countries.

Bottom line, this is a privately run site and as such can create rules and features however they deem fit.
As users we are expected to follow the rules. POF doesn't have to justify them. If the rules state 1 profile per person - that's it. Not up for debate.

Although I personally would like to see more choices, at the end of the day POF can set up whatever options they wish. Realistically, if they don't meet a users needs no one is forced to use POF.

Thread closed - redundant
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Bisexuality on the site