Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Romantic gestures.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lalby
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Im just wondering how many of you think the whole big romantic gesture thing works.
You see it in films and things,were people have to be a certain place for a certain time and if both parties are there its meant to be...and people chasing people to the otherside of the world to pour out their feeling.
But do things like this happen in real life?
If you were given the option of a huge gesture would you go for it?
And if you have done the big gesture thing what did you do?
 PeterPan1967
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:38:03 AM
Well here goes...................I'm all for romantic gestures but I usually get the timing wrong.

I met a lady off POF a year ago but after a couple of dates she admitted she wasn't ready for a relationship. We did things together as friends and I hoped we would progress so on valentines day of last year I sent flowers and chocolate to her workplace. They really impressed her but we still remained friends for another month until she admitted she was going to make another go of it with her ex-husband from years before. Unfortunately at that point I chose to end our friendship.

The moral of the story for me is if someone cares for you then the romantic gestures will strengthen the relationship. If they don't care for you then no amount of romantic gestures will work.

Pan
 SwanSpirit
Msg: 3
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:53:36 AM
I got flowers on Tuesday as a thank you for not asking him to marry me ... that's my kind of romance.
 Loumooos
Msg: 4
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:55:50 AM
I like affection and out the blue stuff, but really not into the whole OTT thing. To much is just way tooo ewww. Constant 'I love yous' following me around, acting like a love sick puppy. Nah

Give me someone i can be tactile with and visa versa, without the claustrophobia.
Someone i can have a laugh with, debate and kiss, hold hands when we want too.
 indigovelvet
Msg: 5
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 7:06:39 AM

If they don't care for you then no amount of romantic gestures will work.

True

Someone's romantic gesture could be sharing their last rolo with you and you would feel bowled over by it. Why? Because you love them .
My ex husband was great at giving romantic gestures... I think some of them were guilt driven though as he was having an affair.
Romantic gestures should be given freely from the heart, not in order to try and buy someone's love.
 Pandora0237
Msg: 6
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:03:42 AM
Not really one for great big romantic gestures, prefer more private ones, and if a present is bought then its more a personal thing reflecting how either you, or your partner are getting to know rather than necessarily flowers, chocolate, aftershave etc.

For me a post it note on your sun visor in your car, which you d find when you put it down (in summer obviously) saying something romantic, and suggesting you look in the glove box, where some little gift was hidden would be just as nice, especially if its done fairly often, although a bigger more luxurious romantic treat now and again would have its place too...

I m afraid though whenever I have heard about public proposals of marriage, or ones done on tv, really not at all keen on those, just seems to detract from the sincerity of such a private moment, that somehow for me requires a more simple stage, and preferable no audience. I know some people love it, and are wowed by it, but it wouldn t work for me.
 Julian2807
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:05:31 AM
Romance isn't in the big things, it is something that should happen in tiny doses and very often. From making your partner a coffee when they are watching their favorite show even when you dont want one, or while shopping picking up their favorite flavour yoghurt or when you are sat having a cuddle just giving them a foot rub or shoulder massage because you can tell they are feeling stressed out.
romance is in the consideration, caring and showing that you think of each other even when you are apart.
 Cinderfreakinella
Msg: 8
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:17:46 AM
Right at this moment, the best romantic gesture would be for him (if I had a him) to do all that ironing staring at me from that chair over there

Seriously though, it's the small things that touch me the most, a lingering or knowing look that says it all, a touch when he walks up behind you, help you without asking when you are struggling with all the shopping bags...stuff like that, no grand gestures for me to prove anything...although welcomed if done!

In reverse he would know I cared, in a million ways.
 PeterPan1967
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:21:31 AM
LOL, that's a shame cinders.

Ironing is one of my strong points but busy at the moment getting my Frankenfurter gear together for a POF Rocky Horror party tonight.

marcochampo
Msg: 10
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:30:53 AM
I am well up for romantic gestures ,as long as they are made when we are both horizontal
 lalby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:34:45 AM
Cut a long story short (well shortish)
I saw a guy for a while last year,things were very good and we just gelled and clicked and it was like we fitted from day one.
We liked eachother lots that was obvious but we never spoke about it,back end of last year we decided to call it a day because the distance was a big thing for him and he couldn't handle just not being able to call n see me when he wanted and with me working away now n then he said he wouldn't be able to deal with the breaks in not seeing me.
Anyways me being me never discussed how i felt with him and never really spoke about it just went along and said well hey if thats what has to be has to be...we stayed friends and spoke on the phone and such and on wed leap year me being me jokingly txted hey lets get married...he said yeah why not.
Since then came a stale mate as to if we were winding eachother up or not.
Well it seems it has all brought up old feelings and now he is all confused.
Ive had dates since n he dated someone which was all a bit up in the air for a couple of weeks.
Anyways the big gesture was if we both turned up at Manchester picadilly station today at 5pm it was worth speaking and worth another go of it.
I was confused as to if i should go or not and it is now decided not to as if there was issues with distance then how can they not be issues with it now...:-(
So there we have it the big romantic gesture was not to be im going to go out and think about what if and maybe this n maybe that and be cheered up by my friends
 ariesagain
Msg: 12
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:52:28 AM
MSG 7.
I agree ...it is the relatively small gestures that mean the most. Basically I think it all boils down to not taking the other person for granted.
 indigovelvet
Msg: 13
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 9:58:34 AM
I recall one ex turning up with a red ribbon and a little bell tied round his manhood ....which was kind of romantic I think.
 zendy
Msg: 14
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:01:52 AM

at the moment getting my Frankenfurter gear together for a POF Rocky Horror party tonight.

Where is this meet? Unfortunately,we dont get as many single events as we used to here in London. I cant organise one so who am I to complain?
 PeterPan1967
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:06:23 AM
It's at the Xscape in Castleford, Yorkshire zendy.

Pan
 lalby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:36:44 AM
I love rocky horror there are some scary pics floating about as me as magenta and also frank n furter another year.
 PeterPan1967
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:57:56 AM
You need to let us see them lalby.

Luckily I have a female friend coming around to do my makeup shortly. A good job as the basque zips up at the back and don't think I could manage that myself.

I tend to keep Rocky Horror pics off my profile as it can give the wrong impression !!

Pan
 Technopunk
Msg: 18
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:07:52 AM
I've been known to be romantic on occasion. Sometimes I'll take my socks off to have sex, and sometimes I'll really push the boat out and wipe the toilet seat after I've peed and then I'll even put the seat down. Women go crazy over that stuff
 CLJay
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:22:05 AM
I love romantic surprises once in a while but cannot cope with constant 'I love yous' and puppy dog gazes.
Harsh I know
That'll be why I'm home alone tonight!!!
 sprite1950
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:59:52 PM

I recall one ex turning up with a red ribbon and a little bell tied round his manhood ....which was kind of romantic I think

I think I would have killed the mood by falling about laughing

The odd romantic gesture is ok but if theyre too frequent they cease to mean anything I find.
 bhawk01
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 5:07:18 PM
Women like romance in theory but not in practice!
A couple of ocassions that spring to mind was one night i woke my partner up at 3am and dragged her up, told her to get dressed, grabbed a blanket and dragged her out into the fields, i threw the blanket down told her to sit and when she kept asking why i pointed at the sky, i took her out to see a meteor shower, to see dozens of shooting stars.....all i got was a slap!

Another occasion was when i drove my partner to the seaside early one morning to watch the sun rise then i drove her to see the sun set on the other coast. when she found out the car wasnt mine and i had no license she went mental.....totally not seeing what i was trying to show her!

There have been many other occasions of romantic gestures which have gone unappreciated.... i have now almost entirely given up on the whole romance idea.
 Paulo_F
Msg: 22
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 5:29:49 PM
Ive done a couple of romantic moments that i think they wroked, and surprised her with a couple of romantic txts! im not the type of romantic, im more of joking and cant really stay serious to say romantic stuff, ex girlfriend knowing me would probably just start laughing! i must look funny me trying to be romantic!
Like me there are other people that dont show feelings that well, im more of the joking if i like you! hence the never good results! lol
Not sure if romantic moments work, i think people are too shy or too prode to do it sometimes! Live changes you too! i did to me!
 Aparctias
Msg: 23
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 5:59:50 PM
I ripped out my heart in front of this girl. I collapsed to the floor dying. I shouted "call me an ambulance I'M DYING!!!" She thought it was romantic.
 lalby
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 8:15:30 PM
Id have laughed but im a bugger
 Past_Imperfect
Msg: 25
Romantic gestures.
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:49:33 PM

Women like romance in theory but not in practice!

Maybe you just picked the wrong women!

...i woke my partner up at 3am and dragged her up, told her to get dressed, grabbed a blanket and dragged her out into the fields...

I think I would have thought that was quite amusing, so long as it wasn't too cold. The unexpected always grabs me. Might have earned you a cuddle and more.

As for the unlicensed driving...I'm with her there. Romance only goes so far before reality hits.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Romantic gestures.