Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Who do YOU think you are? (genealogy)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 windchymes
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Who do YOU think you are? (genealogy)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was doing some genealogy research online last night on a branch of the family, and although I knew I had a heavy Kentucky/German ancestry, I found out last night that I was 1/4 Canadian! I never knew!

Has anyone else done any research on your family tree and come up with any surprises?
 lotustemple
Msg: 2
Who do YOU think you are? (genealogy)
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:01:42 PM
With all due respect to the O.P., I intentionally stay way from genealogy research. Have seen too many people get caught up in identifying with their ancestry instead of what really matters like the quality of their soul and personality. It's like identifying with a symptom instead of the source and it feeds the ego, not soul food. It can also foster racism.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:04:01 PM
One of my grandmothers from Eastern Europe is rumored to be part Asian. Aside from that, no surprises
 windchymes
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:15:26 PM
I'm just an inquisitive-minded person who likes researching things, I guess. And I also love history that you uncover along the way, not the textbook stuff. I really don't "identify" myself with my ancestry, but I do think it's really cool to find the information.

Given the fact that another branch of my family uncovered lots of criminal activity, including bootlegging, "highway robberies", burglaries, and even time in the Mansfield State Reformatory in Ohio, no worry, I'm not "identifying" with them, lol. But it's been good for some laughs along the way!

Since most of my ancestors from 100-150 years ago were farmers & laborers (when they weren't knocking over drug stores, lol), it gave me an appreciation of the hardships they and others went through due to poverty. Many of their babies died in infancy because they didn't have medical care. Many of the crimes that were committed were done to feed their families. It just makes me appreciate what I do have more, now that I've uncovered these things.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:17:49 PM
Kentucky is a country ... ? Dang ...

I'm just French / Irish / German.
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:25:42 PM

I found out last night that I was 1/4 Canadian! I never knew!

You lucky girl!

My daughter-in-law who is American had a Canadian Flag tattooed on her right hip.
Because she so loves my son (amazing young woman!)
And she was just told by her Nana that she is part Canadian too.
What a pleasant surprise!
Now that tattoo really means something.

How appropriate!

Myself ... I am first generation Canadian.
My parents are originally from Europe and the Baltic Sea area.
After the war both have lost their homeland, and were refugees, so I can't really go back and find much out.
Maybe someday I will take on that task.
Better yet ... I would love to venture back and see where they came from.
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:31:35 PM
My great great great great great great grandfather was a gunsmith and farmer in Ohio who was killed by Tecumseh and his men.

I have a great great grandmother who is descended through Pocahontas.

Another great great great grandmother was the first woman to swim across lake Geneva in Wisconsin.

A great great great grandfather was a good friend to and cousin of John Muir the naturalist.

I have several ancestors who arrived on the Mayflower.

I'm German, English, Swedish, french, Scottish, and just a wee bit of Native American.

It's a fun hobby. It's also interesting to learn about some of the "crazies" in your family line.

lacalli
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/3/2012 12:51:16 PM
My grandfather did all the genealogy research in the family since all my grandparents were from Europe he could read the languages. It was fascinating. He was able to track down some distant relatives all over the world (those family members who weren't allowed to come to the US since contrary to popular belief many were turned away-went to several other countries on different continents) Anyway, I'm also planning to take the DNA test and put my name in the data bank and see who I'm related to. Since I have no extended family I've always longed to know more and connect with relatives.
This is an interesting thread for a change!
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/3/2012 2:00:31 PM
Its odd to run across this thread.
I just watched a show last night with Reba McEntire finding her roots. Turns out her 6th great grandfather was only 9 years old when he was sent into indentured servitude by his father from England. His mother had died 2 years earlier and his father (in those days) didnt raise children and he knew he would never be able to be more than just a nobody there in England. So he sold him into service at 10 (but lied and said he was only 9 so it would give ane xtra year of service).
Turns out it was the best thing for the lad because in America where there were no surfs etc.. he had a chance of making it into a better life that what he would ever have in England. As a young man he ended up earning freedom, enough money to live and 300 acres of land. They said it would never have happened in England.
So, all "Basliffs"(I cant recall the last name now.. sorry) in America all descended from him.. and along came Reba. :)
She was pleased to learn about her family and the past and the great sacrifice that Thomas (the father) gave of never seeing or hearing from his son again so the child could have a better life.
I think its pretty cool.

... Most of my family has always been here. Native. But I do have one ancester that was a German soldier that came to America and married my great great grandmother... thus, the last name I have..which is German.
My Aunt by marriage who had been adopted longed to learn about her family but it was withheld from her because of laws until about 15 or so years ago the state of Tennessee opened up adoption records for a short period of time and she was able to find out information that lead her to her mother and siblings. She got to meet her birth mother before she died and now has brothers and sisters she didnt know well but often had dreams about from childhood that she never understood.. But now she does understand her dreams.. ALL of them were in them.. because she was 4 when adopted.

She had traced our family history as well as her own family. Its kinda cool to know things...
:)

I know who I am regardless of distant pasts because Ive always heard stories of the past. Things have been handed down from mouth to mouth in my family.. and we have a family cemetary and "Decorations". (To those of y'all who are looking at me funny, its when the family yearly decorates the graves and then has dinner on the grounds...is that a Southern thing?)
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/3/2012 2:04:10 PM

I found out last night that I was 1/4 Canadian! I never knew!

But from where did your Canadian ancestors come? Doesn't that mean that one of your grandparents were from Canada?

No surprises as far as culture/ethnicity but my Irish ancestors came over LONG before we thought they did. One of my several times great-grandfathers was shot to death while turkey hunting.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 2:46:17 PM
The last time anything in my genealogy surprised me, was when I discovered that I was almost exactly 50% female.

All the other heritages were to be expected, since I'd already gotten that everyone came from proto-Africa, ultimately.
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:01:44 PM
Nope, no surprises.

I'm a mutt, but amongst that mix...my Mom is German, Dad is 1/2 Native American (Apache).

That probably accounts for my sweet, kind, and gentle nature.
 windchymes
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:04:57 PM
"But from where did your Canadian ancestors come? Doesn't that mean that one of your grandparents were from Canada?"

It would be my maternal great-grandfather, the records said "Canada-English", which I assume means it was not Quebec, lol. I didn't go any further than finding his mother...my great-great-grandmother.... was born in England, but his father was born in Canada, but I will be. It's really interesting.

And yes, it was Reba's story that got me fired up again. I had done some research, but after seeing that show, I went to the computer and started plugging in another branch of the family I hadn't done yet, and came up Canadian, lol.

Serendipity, if it's any consolation....back in my mother's family tree is a relative who fought in the battle where Tecumseh was killed, so hopefully that settled the score a bit! lol

And who the hell is trying to have this thread deleted because you think I'm a troll seeking attention??? It's a conversation topic I thought people would enjoy discussing, and you're a miserable human being. Sheesh.
 CharminC
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 3:40:55 PM
Being adopted with only a handful of knowledge about my biological background and ancestry, I would LOVE to find out more! With what I already know, I can only imagine the rich history.
For instance I googled about a coat of arms or crest that consists of a pelican on a cross, neck twisted and down with three drops of blood. After much research I managed to trace it back to 14th century Knights Templar. My father who was orphaned as a baby, thought to be born in Winnipeg was actually born Wales. This much I know.
A Scottish friend tells me my last name is an old english name. Go figure.
Then there's my mother's side. I was told that I am 4th generation gypsy. She was born in Croatia and her mother, in Italy and her grandmother traveled from Turkey.
But! there's an even darker secret about her father who murdered her mother. Oohhhhhhh..... if only I could find out!
I tried researching. Nothing
Who do you think you are is one of my fav shows! I'm so glad Lisa Kudrow of Friends fame created this.
 celticrhythm
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/3/2012 4:43:53 PM
I learned that some of my ancestors fought in the Wallace regime.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/3/2012 4:44:11 PM
I think the show is pretty coo too. I liked the one with rosie o'donnell.
I know my grandmas side is from England. my aunt said she saw an old photo in one of my grandma's albums of a very distinguished looking guy and some writing on the back. That would be neat to find.
My grandpas side we know not much, except his dad has the same name as an 18th century french fur trader and political figure from quebec. I think my great great aunt was native.
The dads side i don't really know. polish/ukranian
 statemachine500
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:18:58 PM
There are far more French Canadian fur trader types that explored,colonized and settled in the U.S than a lot of people realize.They went everywhere,east coast,Great Lakes area,midwest,western U.S including all those claiming to be descended from Basques.My father's side left Quebec around 1850 and settled near Ottawa.Mother's side Scots-Irish with a hidden secret.I was visiting with my grandmother for two weeks in Toronto and she told me that I should know,myself being 10 years old.She had a picture of her grandmother,pale with dark curly hair,from Edinburgh,family came from Latvia originally.I asked my mother about it recently,she denies it,her only daughter married to a man of German descent....
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 6:24:45 PM
I thought I'd known so much about my background ... thought my father's paternal grandfather, Jack, had been born in California ... and his father, Angus, had come to America from Scotland ... decades ago, my parents visited Scotland, came home with the family plaid ... my cousins wear kilts ... one plays bagpipes!

so we had all this "information" in our heads ...

my security was squashed when I recently was told that Angus ADOPTED Jack when Jack was 5 years old ... and I have NO IDEA where little Jack came from ... wow ... I was shocked ... all my life, I've thought my ancestors came from Scotland ... but the child Jack could have come from anywhere ... so everything I thought I'd known was wrong ... it was all about Jack's adopted father and not about my ancestor ... sigh.

I was discouraged ... but ... maybe I should try to figure out this puzzle again ... my imagination is wondering if Jack was the birth child of a woman Angus married ... because the wife and the child showed up in the census lists about the same time ... and Jack was already 5 years old ...

it's fun to think about ... shrug.

I was upset to learn Reba's ancestors OWNED other people ... and sold them ... a finding like that probably would have stopped my search ... that's horrible ... that's another reason I'm not sure I want to know about my ancestors ... maybe they weren't wonderfully perfect people like I am!!!

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 7:44:54 AM
Excellent, Molley Maud. Your experience is very much what I had, just in studying History of human kind in general. The more you study, the more you find that so much that we have told ourselves is black and white, or even of a set small group of colors, is really much more complex and interesting.

In your case, for example, you ran into the fact that there was a time long ago, when out-of-wedlock children were officially declared to be adopted, rather than admit to the indiscretion that led to their being conceived. An "adopted" child from that time, might actually be directly related to his "adoptive" parents genetically, and you would have no way to know now, unless they left a heretofore secret document explaining it all.

When you discover that you are related to people who did things which we now think are reprehensible, it also can serve to calm us somewhat about making self-righteous positive or negative judgments about modern day people. In my studies of History for example, I have yet to have found any large societies, who did NOT have slavery somewhere in their past, with their peoples both being masters AND being enslaved. That doesn't alter how reprehensible I perceive slavery to be, but it takes me back a notch from condemning or praising one race or culture as being innately superior or inferior. And that in turn, helps me to have a much healthier and relaxed life, dealing with those around me now.
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/4/2012 8:36:28 AM

Has anyone else done any research on your family tree and come up with any surprises?
I haven't but I have a distant cousin who does it and I know on my father's side I am German. I also know my maternal grandmother was Pennsylvannia Dutch (i.e., Deutch). All together, 1/4 English, 1/4 French Canadian, 1/2 German.
 cautiousluv
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 10:33:11 PM
I found out I'm related to John Wesley Hardin....the Texas gunslinger!
 russell5417
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/10/2012 1:01:17 AM
I know this is a bit off topic......but..

I met a lady on another dating site and during our conversations we learned that we were in fact related. Her grandfather and my grandfather were brothers.

I knew that my moms "Uncle Frank" had been married and divorced early on, and that his first family had moved out of the area. But I didn't know anything about them.

It was really strange too because we both felt a really good connection. Yes...........I do think that it's a good idea to get to know each other through phone conversations a bit before they actually meet.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2012 1:14:04 AM
after one of my grandmothers died, the cousins were going through her house, sorting things out ... I found it upsetting and didn't want to continue participating even though I knew we had to clean the house out ... finally, I said I was leaving but would take whatever was left over that no one else wanted, specifically the papers and photos ... and I bailed ...

later, when I was going through the boxes and boxes of paper my sisters gave me, I found a treasure of interesting things, of course, but with regard to genealogy ... I found my grandmother's dairies from when she was a girl in Nebraska ... she had graduated from the 8th grade school house then she and her friend were sent to live with a widow woman of good reputation in a neighboring town to continue their high school education so they could become school teachers!

eventually, she met a dashing young man who eventually became my grandfather ... she had to travel on the train to meet him in Chicago where he was "wearing a gun for a dangerous man" ... she wore her "little gold knuckles" when she was on the train so that everyone was afraid of her and wouldn't bother her!!!

I laughed and laughed ... that sure changed the way I saw my grandparents!
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/10/2012 1:36:05 AM

...found my grandmother's dairies from when she was a girl in Nebraska ... she had graduated from the 8th grade school house then she and her friend were sent to live with a widow woman of good reputation in a neighboring town to continue their high school education so they could become school teachers!

eventually, she met a dashing young man who eventually became my grandfather ... she had to travel on the train to meet him in Chicago where he was "wearing a gun for a dangerous man" ... she wore her "little gold knuckles" when she was on the train so that everyone was afraid of her and wouldn't bother her!!!
That's wonderful stuff. You are lucky to have those diaries.
 dreamfire
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2012 3:05:19 AM
We actually have our own documented 'family tree.' It has been passed down from generation to generation. My mother is in possession of it, now, and I will get it when she passes. It dates back to 1751.

I'm about 90% German, the rest English and Scottish with an Irish last name, to boot.....LOL

Years ago, I did find out I am a descendent of the House of Porsche and they still won't just give me a 911 SC Turbo.......

I guess the part that weighs heaviest is I am the last. Should I produce no heirs, my family will end with me. The book will be closed.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Who do YOU think you are? (genealogy)