Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Coconut Curry Chicken Soup      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 1
Coconut Curry Chicken SoupPage 1 of 1    
I made this tonight for this week's lunches and a quick snack after work. Full of protein.

You can use lamb or any variation of veggies and curry powders you like.
Consider your dietary goals. For example, you can use unsalted broth and light coconut milk if you're trying to watch the calories and salt.

You need:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into strips and chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 Fresno chilies, sliced into rings
1 can coconut milk
1 1/3 cups milk or non-dairy alternate like soy, almond, rice, etc.
2 cups chicken broth
Coconut oil, about 1 Tbs
2 lbs chicken
2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped
1 cup broccoli, finely chopped
2.5 Tbs curry powder, your favorite variety (I like complex curry powders, but if you just like something simple like coriander, tumeric, cumin, go for it!)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Combine raw Fresno (seeds included, you wuss), onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, and celery with chicken broth in small stockpot (4-5 quarts). Bring to boil, then cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, brown chicken in coconut oil over medium heat, say, 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat and cut into small pieces. Add chicken to simmering broth.
Next, stir in broccoli and cauliflower, curry powder and coconut milk. Cook until broccoli and cauliflower are tender.
Stir in milk or non-dairy alternate and heat through. Taste and add salt/pepper as needed. Add cayenne if it's not spicy enough for you.
Simmer the whole thing to tenderize the chicken, if desired.

Tip: If you have a food chopper or a good dose of patience, chop the cauliflower and broccoli super duper fine. This way, you get an even thicker/creamier soup!
 KorageHu
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
Posted: 3/8/2012 4:01:10 PM
seriously... too much ingredients. it doesnt even sound like 1 dish. The chef would charge like 30usd for his two hours minimum making that. coconut... errr....
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/8/2012 5:44:11 PM

1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped

Never waste your time peeling and chopping ginger.

Cut your ginger into cubes. (do not peel)

Place in open container in freezer.

When you need ginger, take some out and use a micro-planer and presto, ginger in fraction of the time.

It comes out so fine it just melts into what ever you are adding it to.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:07:57 PM
Great tip on the ginger, thanks! I shall try that...
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/8/2012 8:12:06 PM

The chef would charge like 30usd for his two hours minimum making that.

The whole pot of soup cost substantially less than $30.
I spent 20 minutes doing actual work, and I let it simmer for about 30 more.

When you get good at cooking and acquire kitchen tools and skills, dishes like these really aren't that complicated and don't take very long.
Soup is inherently simple and nutritious, which is why I make so much of it.
 LadleRatRottenHut
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2013 10:07:19 PM
A forgiving recipe as it was very good in spite of me not following to the letter.

I had dry ginger only.
2 roasted & pealed Anaheims & a jalapeno in place of Fresno chilies.
Broccoli & peas instead of cauli, no milk & I needed more chicken.
I also had some funky carrots (3 purple & 1 golden) from the the farmer's market that I needed to get rid of as they weren't so tasty by themselves.

Would make it again.
 Hibouette
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2013 2:24:51 PM
Yum! I know what I'm having for dinner tonight. I like fresh cilantro garnished on top. Thanks for the recipe!
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2013 6:15:12 AM
Here's one I make all the time. No chicken in recipe, but you can add it.
It's a slow-cooker recipe too.

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 all-purpose potatoes, diced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 tablespoon)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
2 (16-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juices
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
10-ounces baby spinach
1 cup coconut milk

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion with one teaspoon of salt until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and another teaspoon of salt, and sauté until just translucent around the edges.

Stir in the curry, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and chili and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in 1/4 cup of broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Pour this onion-potato mixture into the bowl of your slow cooker.

To the slow-cooker, add the rest of the broth, chickpeas, bell pepper, cauliflower, tomatoes with their juices, the pepper, and the final teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. The liquid should come half-way up the sides of the bowl; add more broth as necessary. Cover and cook for 4 hours on HIGH.

Stir in the spinach and coconut milk. Cover with lid for 1 minute to allow the spinach to wilt. Taste and adjust salt and other seasonings as needed.
 CaribbeanMoon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2013 2:01:04 PM
^^^ That sounds just great!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Coconut Curry Chicken Soup