Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do most girls on POF start online dating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BURNS17X
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do most girls on POF start online dating?Page 1 of 1    
I have noticed that not all, but a good majority of the girls I come across on this site have some sort of relationship issue. I dont want to call these women "crazy" but I find myself wondering why some of these women look like supermodels, yet they are single. I usually come to find out that they are unable to hold a conversation or that they come too strong. I'm not trying to say that I haven't had my problems in the past but mine are not as evident.
What drives women to start online dating?
Women, if you take the time to make a profile, then why don't you take to time to talk to everyone and get to know them first?
At this point I feel like online dating has more judgemental people then dating offline.
 meechpeach
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do most girls on POF start online dating?
Posted: 3/7/2012 9:39:50 AM
Well, I'm not claiming to be any sort of super model, but I know for me, I've worked with women my whole life, including now.
I'm also not in school, so the only kind of new people I see are at work, but again those are all women.
I don't want to meet guys through friends of friends because if it doesn't work out, it's been known to cause tension.
And I am also pretty sick of random tonsil hockey at the bar.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 9:46:33 AM
Why does anyone try this route? It opens the pool to a larger number than what we see in our day to day routine, that is why.

Personally, I dont/wont date from where I work, and I dont go to bars...this is a good vene to meet people I would never cross paths with otherwise.

You cannot go by looks...whack jobs come in all shapes and sizes. Just because someone is attractive and online dating does mean they are crazy folk....and the revers is true too...not all ugly people are sweet on the inside!
 AngelWithGuns
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/7/2012 9:47:26 AM
You should see some of the issues men have too kiddo. Everyone has some sort of issue. Not always relationship related. It is called life. Period. Work...I work a lot. Gym a lot. Not tons of free time to be out man hunting...( nor care to be. More important things come first ).

online for me a few years ago I thought would be a good way to connect with people in the area sine I am not a drunk or a druggie and am not found out and about too much. However, I learned fast the same element of what was in bars was on line as well.

You will run across people with issues on line and off line, just a matter of weeding them out. And do not assume people on line are so hot. Half the time people do not even match photos or use their own. Assuming is the WORST thing to do on here.

On line is NOT dating. On line is a tool only to maybe MEET people. Face to face, is dating.

Some of us have made profiles and exchanged e mails and for what, to be sitting with Ted Bundy or some dude who lives with Mama after in all the e mails he was just the opposite? Yeah...that has been fun. Again, stop assuming. Some of us have gone above and beyond trying to meet other honest people.

For some people on line meetings have been great. And those people are fortunate.
 Arata_na_Yoake
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/7/2012 9:49:45 AM
The bigger a net you cast, the more likely you are to catch something good. Online dating has it's perks too, it's much safer to get to know someone online first compared to meeting someone at a bar or club. Also, full time jobs limits the number of people you can meet.
 OopstooLate
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 10:08:59 AM
Yeah, everybody's kinda caught up in the "true love" thing and it is true that the more people you come into contact with the higher the probability that you may meet someone compatible. I dunno though. Lets say there's a significant distance between yourself and the most compatible person you've found. Do you go all out to meet that person? If you're only gonna interact with people in your area then yes, why would you bother online dating?

Are they looking for that mysterious international stranger?
Is it their 1 in ~7 billion?
These girls may not have found anyone suitable at close hand?
They may not be finding compatible people in the places they frequent in their city?
They may be incarcerated? or even worse a dude?

My guess is if they can't hold a convo and they come on too strong (are they asking for pictures?) that they are a dude in jail...or a Nigerian scammer looking to get you hooked...
 laskoboo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 10:10:16 AM
Same reason guys do... because they can and it's all trendy and everyone does it, widely accepted, new way to meet people you would not have met, esp for those who work a lot or housebound.... recovering from surgery, bored, curious, etc.

Bars cost a lot and the issues with maybe getting pulled over with a DUI, which for some will be the end of their jobs.

It's a real eye opener as to the types of people who go online, meet a few dozen people and be enlightened !!!

sometimes dating will make you damn happy to be single !
 Silent Steel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 11:56:58 AM
Your belief that your issues arnt evident may stem from the fact that you are a 22 year old whose longest relationship was three years. Doing the math and assuming that you are now single, means that you have had very limited dating experience as an adult, which is gonna lead to a lot of things that you wont quite get a grasp on.
 AskNika
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/7/2012 12:27:43 PM
Simply because if you take the time to talk to EVERYONE, you waste time with guys youre clearly not interested in and ont focus enough on the ones you are interested in. I started dating online because I was working alot and didnt have time to go out and "meet people". I also live in a small town with not alot of prospects and the only way for me to meet guys out of town was online. I have no problem picking up guys on my own in real life or online. Youve had bad experiences with women online just lik the women online who you are talking about and in turn are now trying to label all women online as one thing. Theres no rule written in stone as to why women start dating online, if you believe otherwise you are being foolish.
 ChillinChill
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/7/2012 1:09:43 PM
Online dating is just like one big virtual bar room , only there are no free drinks.
 lacalli
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/7/2012 1:27:30 PM
^^But there are plenty of free nuts.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 3:28:04 PM
Free drinks? Where does one get free drinks IRL?
 mountaingirl1980
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/7/2012 3:37:19 PM
I can't answer for other women. I can say I'm attractive, educated, have a cool job, am sweet, good at communicating, affectionate, blah blah blah - all the stuff men say they want - but I started online dating for two reasons:

1) have a hard time meeting guys via other avenues (I live in a small town, work from home, don't want to pay for a babysitter just to sit in a bar or somewhere and hope someone notices me)

2) have a hard time finding what I want, so this seemed a logical avenue. I can look for a man taller than I am, or one who lives close enough, or one who states he wants a relationship, or whatever other criteria I feel is important.

I just looked at it as another way to meet guys. Of course, once we "meet" online then we meet in person, and from then on it's just like regular dating.
 franco5656
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 7:22:20 PM
most are stolen pictures of models. ask them to upload a certain kind of picture as proof they aren't fake. and they won't . don't get photo imposter played.
 NolitaFairytale
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/7/2012 7:47:27 PM
I started doing it after I left school, work at a job with mostly women in a small town, and hardly ever meet men (I'm not much of a partier anymore, I used to meet men at bars sometimes).
 17neptune
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 7:52:08 PM
It's convenient
 Munkeechi
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2012 8:15:21 PM
I don't have many offline friends and those that I do have, are married. So it's hard for me to even meet new friends.

Everybody has their own reasons.

Not everybody's here because of "issues" or "baggage"
 aussiesealady
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/7/2012 8:49:49 PM
Because it is safer than loitering around bars at 2am. Uggghhh. Everyone looks magnificent at 2am.

Because I like browsing the smorgasbord.

Because all my friends are married as are their friends so I am generally the only single person at a party.

Because the only men I meet at other places e.g. sailing, theatre, work, courses etc are married men away from their wives... Not going there.

It is interesting to 'chat' with and meet a range of different people who I would otherwise never have made contact.
 Silver_Sparks
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/7/2012 11:03:14 PM

What drives women to start online dating?

Why not?...it's fun, it's trendy....and it works!

Women, if you take the time to make a profile, then why don't you take to time to talk to everyone and get to know them first?

I don't have the time or the inclination to respond to every email I receive.

I'm not trying to say that I haven't had my problems in the past but mine are not as evident.

......... that's funny...whew!...thanks for the laugh OP

Sweetie, there are flakes EVERYWHERE. Why wouldn't they be online too?
Everyone has baggage. Yep...it's called a life well-lived.
It's how we deal with our personal issues that makes us attractive (or unattractive) to others.

At this point I feel like online dating has more judgemental people then dating offline.

If you're not whacking it back with well-adjusted supermodels IRL, don't expect your online experience to be any different.
I've seen plenty of gorgeous girls on this site. Not all wearing bikinis or sprouting cleavage and pouty lips---but they certainly could.

Sounds as if the common denominator here is YOU.
Perhaps you need to reconsider your goals and strategy.
Good luck!

manda1181
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 1:02:46 AM
Well, i agree. I work a lot of hours dont get out as much as i would like to. And am not going to look to the people i work with for a date, so this is an option I didnt really like but have to give it a try. Some people just have to much going on to try to make it happen any other way. I don't think im crazy in anyway just want to explore options i have not yet tried.Some people just have some really bad luck meeting the right person too. I mean well dating is in no way what it used to be. Its harder everyone has kids or was married just hard to find what you are looking for in your little daily life i guess. Least im finding it hard.
 1best_woman
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/8/2012 6:19:40 AM
It is simply another way to potentially meet people that you otherwise probably wouldn't have met in your life.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do most girls on POF start online dating?