Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Online dating without texting?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CB_Dragoness
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Online dating without texting?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So, I've noticed that as I start to message guys here they tend to want to shift to texting at some point in the conversation.

I can understand that-- it's more portable and convenient and such.

However, I don't have a cell phone. Not that I'm a techno-phobe-- I am plenty computer savvy and the problem is that I spend way too much time on the computer so I have avoided getting a fancy phone so as to not have the temptation. I don't use a cell phone much for calls so it never seemed to be worth the cost to get a cheap phone either.

Is it feasible these days to do internet dating without texting capabilities, or should I just consider breaking down and spending money on a cell phone I'll rarely use except for this exact type of thing?
 IanM00ne
Msg: 2
Online dating without texting?
Posted: 3/11/2012 9:11:18 PM
Gmail, yahoo mail offer free text. I use that because I am not giving my number to anyone until I actually chat and meet them.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 9:12:33 PM
If you do want to be involved with the guys who are into texting, then it would seem logical to get a phone or other device so that you can. It's either that, or accept what ever they do when you make it clear that you don't text when away from home.
 coyotefeller
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 9:47:19 PM
For a PhD / Post Doctoral "patient" (lol)
in the 21st Century, you don't make a whole
lot of sense ! :)

....worth the cost to get a cheap phone either.
and
...consider breaking down and spending money....

Would seem like you have more of a "tight wad" problem
rather than the excuses you give.
Yeah break down and join the rest of humanity in
your age group.....I say :)
 luvspjs
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/12/2012 12:00:28 AM
what i dont get is , typing on the computer or typing out on a phone its still typing!!!! why not use a phone for what it was invented to do. TALK! Heck most people are just typing on the websites through their fancy phones anyways!

So to answer your question sure why not!
 Creativetomorrows
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:45:14 AM
I say dont give in just because people are too lazy to use a regular phone and talk voice to voice. texting is great for simple things for you kids or if you are already in a relationhip. "can you pick up some milk on the way home?" "kids are running late today" I am running late today but will pick up the kids around 8".

Simple stuff like that texting is great for. If someone does not want to talk to you on the phone, voice to voice, I would assume they have a sig other they do not want you to know about. Or they are very insecure about talking in person. Either route, probably not the type of person you want to date.
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:37:51 AM
OMG.....why do others need to make that decision for you.....let me put it to you this way...if a guy would prefer to only text, that's not a good thing, they could be hideing behind something, and or they want to send pics...other suspicious reasons as well.
Be who you are and don't let this POF site change you.
 laskoboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:57:15 AM
a cheapy disposable cell phone is a good idea not to text but to avoid giving out your home number... keep phone calls short, using the phone only to arrange where to meet, etc.
I would not bother with text option or texting
 WeaveTheDream
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:37:11 AM
Good topic.

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but text messages do have their place in a relationship but certainly not as a primary means of communication. I've always told those whom I am dating that a text message during the work day is akin to passing notes under the desk - with the excitement hoping you don't get caught by the "teacher".

I agree with others in this thread, text messages are great for one line updates "Hi, thought I would say I'm thinking about you" or "Really enjoyed meeting you - let's chat via phone when I get home".

Quite frankly, since I work in the tech sector I'm pretty burnt out at the end of the day with computers, the Blackberry, and the like. I prefer to pick up the ole tin can and string in the eventing and chat with my love interest.
 TooShadows
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 1:36:43 PM
My God,how did people manage to date before cellular phones were in general use?

Consider a pay-as-you-go if you decide to get a cell phone. Some companies offer text bundles as well with them,and if you're not using the phone much they can be cheaper than getting a phone on a contract.
 karenkay1303
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:17:39 PM
I don't have a phone either. I never liked them, don't like talking on them, so what's the point? I have an iPod, so people that use iMessage, I will text with, but other than that, I stick to instant messages or real life meeting.

On the other hand, I've had multiple guys offer to give me a phone. If I said yes, I think I'd have five or six blackberries by now! (Maybe I should and sell them on ebay :P JK JK!!!)

If a guy can't deal, it's not my problem.
 prometheus76
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/13/2012 8:51:52 AM
I would say that most people now a days use texting as a means to communicate. I'm not arguing for or against it, but the simple fact is that most people use it. If you want to date within the "most people" bracket, it would make logical sense to provide yourself with this communication medium.
 softy599
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 5:16:29 PM
You could get a tracfone if you did want to not give your home number out. And it does allow texting though I wouldn't suggest it.

I bought a tracfone for $14.99. It came with 20 minutes and 60 days to use them. I get random texts but never open then so I don't get charged. As long as I add minutes before the end of the 60 days, I can continue to use that same number. AND it tells you on the home screen how many minutes/service days are left.
 semisweetchoc
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:03:35 PM
I wouldn't get a phone just to text with someone from a dating site. Maybe if they actually wanted to *talk*. But text, no.
 neck romancer
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 9:13:35 PM
no txting isnt necesary. I dont txt even tho most ppl who I interact on here try to txt me.
 Dark_Triad
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/13/2012 9:47:15 PM
texting is easier? ! I find texting incredibly tedious, trying to find the letters and numbers on my phone. I can type 60 words/min on a keyboard, for me texting is torture. I have sent maybe 3 texts in my life.
 Silver_Sparks
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:27:03 AM
I don't beleive in swapping one technical communication for another---that is not progress.
If a guy is interesting in meeting you, he should be offering his # and asking you to phone him, or inviting you out for a date.

Posted: 3/15/2012 4:51:19 PM
Well Dragon,

If you have no issues with modern communication technology, and the men you're attracting don't either, then the answer seems simple enough: Join the club and get yourself wired.

However, if you do - then it's a different matter.

In the town I grew up in, when I was small....there were still farm folks who didn't have phones at all. When you wanted them, you had to go over and bang on their kitchen door. We all thought that was weird. But a phone to them was something you walked down to the drugstore once a month to make your call...they wouldn't consider having the thing invade the privacy of their home.
(I know, this makes me sound like an ancient relic - but farm communties were like that. We even had a horse-drawn milkwagon that I got to drive to elementary school on lucky days.)

But ask yourself - if it's an irritation to you, or you'd rather type from a computer keyboard - or hear a voice on the line....or require something more from the written word that standard text-speak............then chances are the device is not for you.
If this is not at all the case..........refer to opening statement.
 Kentish-Man
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2012 5:15:36 PM
I always thought that guys who want to "take it to text" are just your usual stalker types. You can block them easy on this site, but if they have your phone number then it's a lot more hassle to get the number blocked.

Maybe that just says more about me than other people though :)
 AQHAguy
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/16/2012 7:58:35 PM
I have an odd situation that is kinda the opposite of whats described here. I met this gal a couple weeks ago, super nice gal, we have been for a coffee date twice so far and we have been texting the whole time since meeting, but only once or twice a day. I asked her if I could call her the other day and she said she didnt like talking on the phone much and would prefer texting. Is she really shy, or is this my sign to haul in the anchor n make wake?? I dont really wanna have a relationship revolving around texting, and I dont know if this is maybe just cause she is shy or this is how she is...or does this just sound totally obsurd??
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 4:54:20 AM
txt speek is a pain, often the abbreviations can be taken a few ways, one woman sent me about 5-6 texts which were hard to understand so simply phoned her, cost me less than the pint of half a pint of beer and was a lot easier than texting

the OP could buy a pay as you go phone, and they are very useful for emergencies, case in point a friend needed the police recently, if had not had the mobile out might not have been good for either of them...

some women who have my mobile have not abused it, so not that worried
 RT_2
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/17/2012 1:42:57 PM
I called my phone provider to BLOCK incoming text messages! Spammers often send unsolicited texts.

If they want to communicate with you away from this site, they can suggest regular email or a real phone conversation.

If a woman insisted on texting, I might think she is hiding something. Doesn't want her husband to hear? Doesn't want me to hear her voice because she is really a guy?
 audrianna333
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 4:19:29 PM
If you have a house phone then give him that # and explain it's your home #. If he likes you he'll call or email and not drop you cuz he can't text. However with a landline he might be able to find your address so usually giving out cell # is safer.
 mannyoc
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 5:33:00 PM

My God,how did people manage to date before cellular phones were in general use?

Beepers! 01134 spells out hello upside down! hehe
 Knightrose
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/27/2012 5:49:53 PM
I hate texting. Call me or let's meet for a drink. Texting is cautious delay and usually wears out both parties. Be brave and meet someone in public.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Online dating without texting?