Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Porridge – Sublime If Well-Prepared And Thoughtfully-Served      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 1
Porridge – Sublime If Well-Prepared And Thoughtfully-ServedPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
In England porridge is popular still, but seldom is the taste or texture satisfying. And it's served possibly worse in Scotland. Usually it's made with things that tend to spoil it. There's salt, milk, cream, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, whisky, and what have you. And it's often over-cooked. Only when they are all omitted can we concentrate on making it as good as it can be
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 2
Porridge – Sublime If Well-Prepared And Thoughtfully-Served
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:40:48 PM
And here's how I prepare it. I obtain organic grain (rather than the usual flakes) and soak them overnight in cold tapwater. Come the morning, I drain if off, rinse them afresh, and drain again. I bring some still mineral water to boil in a non-aluminium pan, and put the oatgrain in. And then It simmers, and gently, for eight minutes, during which I scoop-away the froth that rises from it. And then, when liquid, smooth, and thick, I pour it into a plain white English bone-china soup-dish. And I let that stand for two or three minutes till it sets. Just before serving I pour onto it some organic maple-syrup. At last, and with not a single other ingredient, it's ready to be eaten
One of its properties is that you can seldom burn yourself by taking it too hot. Its soothing proerties are almost magical. And in English slang, `porridge´ means serving a prison-sentence
 high_flight
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:47:51 PM
IMPRESSIVE recipe there. Do you work in a laboratory? Anyways, sounds somewhat alright to me. Guess I will take my regular porridge here in Canada.
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:51:37 PM
I seldom have the time to cook something as simple and lovingly as that in my loft apartment here in Germany. But it's something I'd encourage us all to try from time to time
 laskoboo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:26:31 PM
what is porriidge exactly? steel cut oats?

( I am in texas USA)
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:37:49 PM
my question exactly, Holy Cow ... the grain was never exactly identified ... I was guessing possibly steel cut oats ...

I'm in California, U.S.A. ...
 laskoboo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:45:09 PM
whiskey and pepper in steel cut oats?

really?

msg 2 that sounds good with the organic maple syrup.
but is this steel cut oats your making?
 high_flight
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 7:56:30 PM
By golly, it is Steel Cut Oats. How about that, eh? Good for ya!!
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:35:22 PM
I used to buy packets of Mornflake Organic Oatgrain, or Oat Bran in Waitrose – Britain's finest supermarket. But this may not now be available in the former form. However, I have seen grains of oatmeal on sale in some German supermmarkets such as the Hit Markt. As I understand it, an oat consists of the husk, which is removed, and the remaining groat, which, in turn, comprises a shell of bran around the grain or fruit. And these can be separated without squashing them. Oatflakes are complete groats that have been pressed between rollers. Otherwise the groat is shreddded.
And in my foregoing comments I forgot to state how I prefer to wash in unperfumed detergent the dish and soupspoon for the porridge, which are then rinsed thoroughly and dried with a clean white, preferably un-pressed, pure Irish linen teacloth, and polished with a glasscloth of the same material. Although I have always used a stainless steel spoon for porridge, I fancy getting one of lignum vitae, platinum, or tantalum. Has anyone here any experience of using cutlery made of unusual timber, or metallic or other elements?
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/12/2012 9:43:39 PM
I think another name for it is pinhead-oatmeal
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 3:56:16 AM
I normally eat my porridge plain. I like the odd course and slimey texture that it has... and if I'm in the mood for something a little on the decadent side with porridge, it'll be raw sugar and 2% or whole milk...
 idiot_savant
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 5:56:04 AM
good with organic honey
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:31:54 AM
Porridge is popular in Asia as well but they call it Jook or Congee. I'm more familiar with the Chinese Cantonese style which is served in authentic Chinese restaurants here in the States. The most basic version is made with water, rice, salt, pepper, and maybe some green onions. I like to add slices of roast duck, pig, or chicken. Very easy to make, hard to overcook (just add more water) and the aroma is, as you say, sublime. I make it using a rice cooker.
 theangelworeredshoes
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:42:02 AM
I like my porridge make with water and a drop of soya milk on top just before serving.porridge is contemporary food now and can be sever in any number of ways.
Most Scott are traditionalist when it comes to porridge they like it make with water and they add salt and milk and sometimes sugar to.
many Scotts that I know when I lived there would offen steep the porridge in water overnight also.
porridge oat's and pinhead (ground oats) can be bought in many place in germany, Markouf(not the write spelling)Karstate, pluse and Real all sell it.
I have friends in East germany who eat it most days , they just put the uncooked oat's in a bowl and pour cold milk over it
 dsljim
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 8:45:17 AM
" They just put the uncooked oats in a bowl "
The other day I was hungry, had rolled oats, peanut butter, and mollasses, so I stirred varrying amounts of each together with OK results.
Now I'm wondering what peanut butter, jelly, and rolled oats would taste like?
Back to porridge, has anyone tried barley instead of oats?
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/13/2012 8:50:05 AM
I would have asked the same question. Barley is taken to have more health-promoting properties than oats. But turning it into porridge would be less than easy, no? Can anyone here guide us on this?
 Molly Maude
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 5:16:18 PM
I've never known what "porridge" was ... when I was a child, as we jump-roped, we sang:

"peas porridge hot ...
peas porridge cold ...
peas porridge in the pot ...
nine days old ...
some like it hot ...
some like it cold ...
some like it in the pot ...
nine days old ..."

so I figured it was some sort of bean or pea ... oats, huh? interesting!
 Neptune-Up
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/13/2012 5:32:28 PM
Good Golly Ms Molly,
I recall little cans of split yellow peas that are cooked nearly into a jelly. They were embarrassingly-inexpensive in England. While my peers would shun them, I loved them. They were good with no more than unsalted butter plus pepper. And I fancy that peas is an old singular, pease, possibly its non-possessive genitive, and peasen, the plural. And so it's pease pudding, or porridge. Something like that
 idiot_savant
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:57:19 PM
tsk tsk...you foodies are really slippin today..i mentioned organic honey and not one of you piped up that there is no such thing...tsk tsk
 Molly Maude
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:25:47 PM
sorry ... when my eyes see "organic," they just AUTOMATICALLY ignore the word ... cuz EVERYTHING is labeled "organic" nowadays if someone wants to sell ANYTHING ... I wouldn't express shock if someone tried to sell me "organic" naugahyde ...
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2012 2:56:32 PM
Love Porridge.Yet if its sweet-Oat Meal is sweet & thats like oats & such.Porridge to me is rice with alil salt & whitepepper..maybe alil flick of sugar..served hot.Thats more of an Orient style..& congee/Jok is to some seen as porridge..but not really & its not sweet though you could add in what you want instead of having it plain..like boiledeggs sausages greenonions & ginger. hmm
miss that..sighs
 sweetness-one
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:10:00 PM
I sprinkle a titch of brown sugar on mine (very tiny titch) and a couple of teaspoons of half and half. I like my porridge such that I can stand a spoon in it though.

Those instant packages that are on the market nowadays I won't even touch, there's nothing like the real thing where porridge is concerned, IMO. I tried one of the instant packs thinking they might be okay on days when I work before the crack of dawn and ick, it was slimy, for lack of a better word.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/29/2012 3:41:39 AM
I try to make my steel cut oats a healthy start to the day, and add:
walnuts and flax seed meal for omega 3s
a chunk or two of 90% cocoa dark chocolate
a little real maple syrup to sweeten if needed (I prefer not to, but my wife does)
top off with some sliced berries or whole blueberries
 Molly Maude
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2012 5:28:03 PM
happy memories: when I was a child, about a century ago, my parents took us on many camping trips throughout the year ... before the big event, my Dad would go to a sporting goods store and buy ... little packets of instant oatmeal ... there was apples and cinnamon ... maple ... and raisins and spice! so we'd get up bright and early, out in the woods somewhere ... my Dad would stir up and/or relight the campfire ... my Mom would put the big camping tea kettle on to boil ... and we'd all have oatmeal for breakfast! Mom would pour (gag) canned milk onto our bowls of reconstituted oats!

I still enjoy those little packets of instant oatmeal sometimes ... the apples and cinnamon were my favorite ... I would never, however, use canned milk again ... even if I were starving!

Megaladonfishy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:40:02 PM
Butter, brown sugar and heavy cream, you have to counteract all that goodness somehow!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Porridge – Sublime If Well-Prepared And Thoughtfully-Served